• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 189 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The 2017-2018 season of NHL hockey was mostly dominated by the Vegas Golden Knights having a magical inaugural season. That magic, however, faded as the Washington Capitals won their first-ever Stanley Cup. It is now time to think about who will hoist the Stanley Cup this season. Who will triumph this season? Could Washington repeat? Can Vegas gain revenge? Could there be new challengers wanting to win? Could a once-struggling team come alive as a contender? So many story lines, so little time...

Anyhow, here is another thread of mine devoted to the National Hockey League. You want to talk NHL hockey? You want to predict who'll be hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup? Feel free to chime in before the puck drops for real in games that matter later this year.

THIS JUST IN...

Barry Trotz was once the head coach of the Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, before resigning. Now, he's found a new gig- the New York Islanders. That's right. Trotz is the new head cheese for the Islanders. Maybe he can help NYI better again after both New York City teams failed to make the playoffs last season. Islanders are still mostly rebuilding. They even will eventually get their new arena in Belmont once they will be done playing in Brooklyn.

Draft tonight! One and two seem like a lock (barring Carolina really throwing a wrench into things) but Marc Bergevin and Montreal have the potential to make things very interesting at number 3.

It’s one of the deepest drafts in years with lots of potential cornerstone defencemen early on and several quality forwards prospects as well, including Keith’s son Brady Tkachuk expected to go top 10.

Should be an exciting draft! Starts at 7:30 ET on NBCSN for US viewers.

(indirect quote) "If Montreal passes up on me, and I end up in Ottawa, I'm going to fill Montreal's nets." -Filip Zadina; full quote and full story: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/zadina-canadiens-senators-im-going-fill-nets-pucks/

I remember in an old cartoon, there was a quote that describes that quote I just mentioned- "...them's fightin' words!" Mr. Zadina, though, was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings. So he joins a different Original Six team besides Montreal.

I read that this year's NHL Draft has tied a record with six Swedish-born players being drafted. This year's crop of Swedes drafted (Source: NHL Public Relations on Twitter):

1st - Rasmus Dahlin (Buffalo)
8th - Adam Boqvist (Chicago)
23rd - Isac Lundestrom (Anaheim)
24th - Filip Johansson (Minnesota)
28th - Nils Lundkvist (New York Rangers)
29th - Rasmus Sandin (Toronto)

Hello to all newcoming talent to the NHL!

(indirect quote) "If Montreal passes up on me, and I end up in Ottawa, I'm going to fill Montreal's nets." -Filip Zadina; full quote and full story: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/zadina-canadiens-senators-im-going-fill-nets-pucks/

I remember in an old cartoon, there was a quote that describes that quote I just mentioned- "...them's fightin' words!" Mr. Zadina, though, was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings. So he joins a different Original Six team besides Montreal.

As a die hard Wings fan I am through the moon with our first round last night! I was watching it while at work and saw the same quote right after Montreal took Kotkaniemi. That sort of attitude even before he was passed up by Ottawa and Arizona!

I was also a big fan of Veleno leading up to the draft but hadn’t even fathomed a way in which the Wings end up with him. I was ecstatic after they called his name! Fifth QMJHL player ever to be granted exceptional status. With names like McDavid and Tavares, not too bad of company to be in!

We are in dire need of defence but Holland was smart enough not to pass up on the elite talent that fell into his lap. And McIsaac was still a quality pick up in the second round.

For the first time since we lost Pav I’m excited for this team!

JT signs a 7 year $77 million contract with Toronto in fulfilling his childhood dream.

My area franchise, the Blues, acquired Ryan O’Reilly from the Sabres for Berglund, Thompson, Sbotka, and a pair of future picks. Also bringing in Tyler Bozak and David Perron (for his 3rd stint with the team) through free agency.

Toronto has to be thinking Cup this year. Nylander is an RFA this year with Marner and Matthews RFAs next year, all will be commanding hefty raises and cap issues could be in their near future. This year is their best chance if they want to do it with their current core.

I read that bit about John Taveres, dylpro. Anything for Toronto to try to be a contender will likely help. The addition of Taveres could help in that regard.

I read that Matt Dumba and the Minnesota Wild agreed to a five-year deal worth about $30M USD. Still a lot of wheeling and dealing in this offseason before all 31 teams head back on the ice.

Detroit has FINALLY taken care of their last contract locking up Dylan Larkin for the next 5 years at $30.5 million. A little less term than I was hoping for but the $6.1 mill cap hit should age nicely with the rising salary cap.

Unfortunately Detroit is still in salary cap hell which isn't where you want to be when you have one of, if not, the oldest rosters in the league and projecting bottom 5 in the standings:( It's going to take some finagling of some bad contracts or injuries to see some of our young prospects come up, including Filip Zadina.

The last big unknown for the Wings this offseason is whether Captain Henrik Zetterberg will return next season:confused:

Do you think Detroit will return to greatness within the next 3-5 years? I mean... you don't go to the postseason 25 straight years or so, and then ultimately fall off the map forever. I think the Red Wings will eventually return to form. Whether or not that happens ahead of schedule remains to be seen.

I think we can be contenders again in 3-5 years but closer to the end of that time frame than the beginning. Next year we’ll be relieved of some pretty bad contracts. Won’t be free from all of them, but we’ll at least have a comfortable amount for a team in rebuild (or whatever Holland is calling it) mode.

It’s obvious to anyone that the streak came at the cost of the future and Kenny kept trying his retooling rather than tearing it down when we were becoming a fringe playoff team near the end of the streak. Lots of people were calling for his job this year but I’m one who is willing to give him a chance for his first actual rebuild since becoming GM. This draft was a jumpstart for us and it absolutely sped up the time frame, but we’ve still got a ways to go.

We won’t be bottom feeders for too long, but we could use some higher draft picks over the next couple years. The Wings will never go full-tank which is fine by me considering the NHLs lottery odds (looking at you Carolina). I’d rather see the best product on the ice than suffer thru a team that embraces losing.

All I know for sure: Glad I’m not a Sens or Habs fan :scared:

All these months later and I'm still perplexed at the fact that Detroit managed to get Zadina in the draft.

Hard to believe it’s only been a month and a half;)

By the night of the draft it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Marc Bergevin was going to be Marc Bergevin and pick Kotkaniemi, some people would make the argument Tkachuk was the BPA which makes Ottawa somewhat excusable, but I’ll never understand Arizona picking Barrett Hayton.

I was in just as much if not more shock that they got Veleno. More because of where they got him than anything else. He’s not as flashy as Zadina but the argument could be made Veleno was a top 10 pick. I had him going to the Islanders at 11/12.

Hell Jonatan Berggren and Jared McIsaac were both considered first rounders in many mocks. The draft was Detroit’s biggest win of the 2017-18 season:D

Damn I miss hockey:banghead:

The NHL has put together a number of different team previews across social media for the 31 teams in the league. Most recently, the NHL has discussed the Minnesota Wild. I do think the Central Division of the NHL is pretty top-heavy. You can only stub your toes so much to where you go from contender to also-ran. I am probably anticipating more of the same for this upcoming season in the Central.

You won't be seeing Defenseman Nate Schmidt of the Vegas Golden Knights any time soon because he got hit with a 20-game suspension for performance enhancing drugs.

Elsewhere, the first game to be played for the 2018-2019 season begins on September 15. It's the Preseason, but it will be the Boston Bruins at the Calgary Flames. Summer will slowly turn into Fall/Autumn. So it's time to get things warmed up on the ice. Suit up, lace 'em up, hit the ice, drop the puck, and let's go play some hockey!

If you want to share some more thoughts on this upcoming season, feel free to share. Otherwise, we are not too far away from any real action in the National Hockey League.

Anxiously awaiting puck drop! Looks like Detroit will be without our Captain to start the season, but it's looking more and more like he's played his last game as a Red Wing:( He'll likely finish his career on LTIR to give the Wings some much needed cap relief, but it's still not the way you want to see such a storied career come to an end.

Zetterberg is one of the last pillars of the Red Wings dynasty of my childhood. 960 career points, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup, and Conn Smythe all to his name, number 40 will be the first number retired to the LCA rafters sooner rather than later:bowdown:

Montreal has officially cut ties with team Captain Max Pacioretty, shipping him off to join the Western Conference Champion Vegas Golden Knights.

In return for Patches, Montreal acquired Tomas Tatar, prospect Nick Suzuki, and a second round pick in next years draft.

VGK is very clearly in win now mode after a miracle inaugural season. Patches strengthens a top 6 that lost James Neal and David Perron in the offseason. He only has 1 year on his current contract so it’ll be interesting to see if he’ll be in Vegas long term. He’ll be turning 30 in November and no doubt will be looking to get paid with his next contract and Vegas has the money to do it.

How did I miss this?!?! I watched the last 2 periods of the prospect championship and I didn’t hear a mention of it!

! I watched the last 2 periods of the prospect championship

Despite looking kind eh in their last game, the Wings prospects looked pretty decent overall. I really like Givani Smith, he should be excellent in a year or two. I'll be curious to see how he does with the Griffins and hopefully I can catch a game if I make it back to Grand Rapids.

"Hockeytown" will be back. Tough times of late, but I think the Detroit Red Wings will return to being a consistent contender. Maybe this season is the start of hopefully the Red Wings returning to their former glory after those 20+ seasons of consistently making the Playoffs. Or maybe this can be a season where they get better talent-wise but still have some work to do to get better overall. Detroit is NOT dead in the NHL. I'm pretty sure Detroit will have a fairly good season, unless you are among the types in MoTown that's already given up on the 2018 Detroit Lions and looking forward to Pistons' basketball or Red Wings hockey.

But again- Hockeytown will be alive and well this season if not somewhere the next 3-5 years (including this year).

Despite looking kind eh in their last game, the Wings prospects looked pretty decent overall. I really like Givani Smith, he should be excellent in a year or two. I'll be curious to see how he does with the Griffins and hopefully I can catch a game if I make it back to Grand Rapids.

I watched the game against the Rangers and the Championship. Rybar looked much better than Fulcher from the small sample size I caught.

This was really the first time I got to catch Zadina in action and good God what a wicked shot :eek: He took a frightening hit last night and went to the locker room but made it back out shortly after and I was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Smith did look really good last night and Cholowski’s blue line goal was something nice to see from a player in a Wings jersey:lol:

Veleno looked like the top 15 player he was supposed to be throughout most the tournament but was pretty quiet last night.

Here are a few NHL notes of late...

* Erik Karlsson is going from the Ottawa's capital city to the Shark Tank. No longer an Ottawa Senator, but now a San José Shark. It was a few years ago that the Sharkies were playing in the Stanley Cup Finals. Maybe Karlsson gives the Sharks a lift.

* Austin Watson of the Nashville Predators got suspended 27 games for domestic violence. The NHLPA plans to appeal.

* The Dallas Stars extended the contract of Tyler Seguin to an 8-year deal worth $9.85M USD. Sequin was (I believe) second-most in goals scored last season or so behind Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby. In today's NHL, that's good company.

Remember that the first of the NHL Preseason games begins this weekend when the Boston Bruins and Calgary Flames play each other at 1:30 AM EDT Saturday from Shenzhen, China.

[UPDATE] I meant "EDT" and not "EST." Changes made.

Last edited:
The Senators are going to be absolutely horrible for the next couple of years - no matter how badly they do in the upcoming season, their first draft pick in 2019 goes to Colorado.

their first draft pick in 2019 goes to Colorado.

This is why I didn’t like them drafting Brady Tkachuk this year. Especially if you knew that you’d be trading Karlsson, which everyone knew was going to happen.

No matter what the Sens were in a lose-lose-lose position, but imagine losing your generational defender and watching Colorado draft a generational forward with your 1st overall next year.

I genuinely feel terrible for Senators fans right now.

I saw on NHL's Instagram profile of Henrik Zetterberg hanging it up. He was pretty solid in his service with the Detroit Red Wings. I wish him the best in his retirement. Possible Hall of Famer?

I mentioned the first Preseason game of the 2018-2019 season is in China between Boston and Calgary. There are going to be about three more Preseason matches coming up on Sunday. So this season is slowly getting underway. I guess I will mostly be following this season the two Stanley Cup Final participants from last season- the Vegas Golden Knights and the Washington Capitals. It would have been chaotic if Vegas won it all last season. However, it was the boys from Washington, D.C. that hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup. Washington, D.C. is often like Houston at times- a poor sports city, or at least a city that hasn't produced too many series champions. The pressure will be on the Capitals to try to have another solid season. Not really just win the Stanley Cup again, but field a ocmpetitive team that maybe makes the postseason this season- even if as a Wild Card.

Tell you what... I can't wait to see some NHL action for this upcoming season! It will be interesting to see who all could make an impact this season, even including any possible sleeper or underrated teams and players.

I saw on NHL's Instagram profile of Henrik Zetterberg hanging it up. He was pretty solid in his service with the Detroit Red Wings. I wish him the best in his retirement. Possible Hall of Famer?

I mentioned the first Preseason game of the 2018-2019 season is in China between Boston and Calgary. There are going to be about three more Preseason matches coming up on Sunday. So this season is slowly getting underway. I guess I will mostly be following this season the two Stanley Cup Final participants from last season- the Vegas Golden Knights and the Washington Capitals. It would have been chaotic if Vegas won it all last season. However, it was the boys from Washington, D.C. that hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup. Washington, D.C. is often like Houston at times- a poor sports city, or at least a city that hasn't produced too many series champions. The pressure will be on the Capitals to try to have another solid season. Not really just win the Stanley Cup again, but field a ocmpetitive team that maybe makes the postseason this season- even if as a Wild Card.

Tell you what... I can't wait to see some NHL action for this upcoming season! It will be interesting to see who all could make an impact this season, even including any possible sleeper or underrated teams and players.

Houston and D.C. are not alike. Houston for one has always had a strong basketball team and especially over the last few years it's been playoff making division winning team, who could go to the Finals if the cards fell right or if they sat in the Eastern Conference instead of the more hotly contested for years Western. Houston also has a respectable football team that sadly gets overshadowed by the Texas "gem" Dallas. And most importantly missed by you is the World Series winning Astros, who at this moment look like the team to again be odds on favorite for another WS.

You compare that to D.C. and you have a very hard time seeing how anything other than the Capitals is to boast about. They have a very inconsistent baseball team (Nats), their football team is predictable at not going anywhere, and the Wizards are a team that only ever make it to the playoffs in this decade because as I said earlier their in a more friendly less competitive conference. All and all as a major sports fan myself I had to just respond purely out of the thin to nearly non-existent likeness either area has to the other sports wise.

Latest Posts

Back