NHRA: Speed For All Releases August 26 on Consoles and PC

It feel last like we’re back in the PS2 era with all these smaller series getting their own dedicated games. I can’t say my hopes are very high for this one though as they couldn’t even bother to get the licenses for the cars and the trailer didn’t really impress me.

Well for starters the visuals look good, not sure how excited I can get for drag racing though.

When's the last time there was a proper licensed Drag Racing game? I vividly remember the Bethesda games and how impressively lackluster they were to 10-year-old me.

When's the last time there was a proper licensed Drag Racing game? I vividly remember the Bethesda games and how impressively lackluster they were to 10-year-old me.
Don't forget about those AWFULLY long load times.

It’ll be intriguing because, to me, the driving is the least interesting part of drag racing. I’m much more intrigued by the mechanical and engineering side of it, and it looks like it has none of that. Though the management sim aspect could be interesting if it’s well implemented.

Last edited:
I thought, I don't like drifting, before I bought Carx for the customization and ended up enjoying the gameplay a lot. So yeah, maybe it's the same with drag racing. :D

Would be a nice game pass game.

Last edited:
Ooooh donktastic... I really can't really see how feathering the throttle for 30 seconds can amount to good gameplay, particularly in the long term. Maybe as a mode within a wreckfest type game it would be welcome, but standalone? rofl

[youtube]
I remember playing this in the arcades as a kid. Will see what the reviews are like and may give this a shot.
I think the reviews of a 45 year old game are pretty much in. Ba-dum-tsh.

Still can't believe drag racing games were ever a thing. I joked to myself way back in the day of how two whole kids must be anxiously waiting for Drag Race II to come out. Humans and their toys...

Ooooh donktastic... I really can't really see how feathering the throttle for 30 seconds can amount to good gameplay, particularly in the long term. Maybe as a mode within a wreckfest type game it would be welcome, but standalone? rofl
I think the reviews of a 45 year old game are pretty much in. Ba-dum-tsh.

Still can't believe drag racing games were ever a thing. I joked to myself way back in the day of how two whole kids must be anxiously waiting for Drag Race II to come out. Humans and their toys...
Stuff like this makes me embarrassed to be a racing game fan, just because you don't like something doesn't mean nobody does. Be happy a product will exist that will hopefully give people enjoyment, nobody is forcing you to buy it or even play it.
Puts on dress, applies make up, squeezes into high heels…. Oh, it’s not that sort of drag racing 🤪
Sadly we are left waiting once again for Ru Paul's Kart Racing. :(

I'll give it a shot. Drag racing gets put down for its seeming simplicity. I think the appeal is in the tiny margins drivers have for success.
And actually, the PS2 game for NHRA proved that drag racing can be hard af. It's not just about going straight in exceptional speed, but the burnout, positioning of the car, etc.

Stuff like this makes me embarrassed to be a racing game fan, just because you don't like something doesn't mean nobody does. Be happy a product will exist that will hopefully give people enjoyment, nobody is forcing you to buy it or even play it.
There's not much scope for being entertained by a 25 second race, that's why you cant articulate a cogent response. I like the engineering and aesthetic in drag racing, but this doesn't really make good gameplay purely because of the sports duration. If this game had salt lake land speed record stuff maybe some hill climbs there could be some possibilities for it. Im sure you will be ponying up the $50 for this and will have a lovely (short) time with it...

There's not much scope for being entertained by a 25 second race,
In your opinion perhaps, in others it may be a different story. Hell, your avatar is anime, which is something I’ve never seen any appeal in, but I’ve never used that as an excuse to mock it.

If my dumb ass can manage that I’m sure your more than capable of doing the same.

that's why you cant articulate a cogent response.
A response to what? You didn’t produce any actual argument.

I like the engineering and aesthetic in drag racing, but this doesn't really make good gameplay purely because of the sports duration. If this game had salt lake land speed record stuff maybe some hill climbs there could be some possibilities for it.
You do realize there is more to drag racing than “press gas when the light turns green”, right?

Im sure you will be ponying up the $50 for this and will have a lovely (short) time with it...
I’ve already expressed my views of this individual game and needless to say it’s highly unlikely I’ll purchase it even on sale.

That’s not what this is about though, it’s about a community that’s built around racing games having people in it that mock others for liking something different. I deal with it enough in the real world I would like to think a place like this would be a little more tolerant.

Last edited:
That’s not what this is about though, it’s about a community that’s built around racing games having people in it that mock others for liking something different. I deal with it enough in the real world I would like to think a place like this would be a little more tolerant.
Exactly, outrage culture. Nothing to do with the game just you're ego. I was debating gameplay possibilities and driving culture. You're predisposition to outrage is the cultural paradigm... and simple sheeple flock to it.

Exactly, outrage culture. Nothing to do with the game just you're ego. I was debating gameplay possibilities and driving culture. You're predisposition to outrage is the cultural paradigm... and simple sheeple flock to it.
So you can’t articulate a cogent response?

Also, it’s funny you’ve now resorted to calling people sheeple, thus proving my point even more.

Anyways, this is getting too far off track so I’m done with it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend however you choose to spend it!

There's not much scope for being entertained by a 25 second race…
You don’t even know what drag racing is, do you? A professional drag race is, depending on class (Top Fuel, Funny Car or Pro Stock) over in less than 7 seconds. The slowest sportsman class races are over in no more than 14 seconds.

You seem to think that the shorter the race, the less exciting it is though, so I bet this just fuels your hatred for the sport even more, even though you have no idea what it is.

Don’t get me wrong. As I said, this game will probably be trash, but not because it’s drag racing, but rather because it’s an NHRA product basically.

You don’t even know what drag racing is, do you? A professional drag race is, depending on class (Top Fuel, Funny Car or Pro Stock) over in less than 7 seconds. The slowest sportsman class races are over in no more than 14 seconds.

You seem to think that the shorter the race, the less exciting it is though, so I bet this just fuels your hatred for the sport even more, even though you have no idea what it is.

Don’t get me wrong. As I said, this game will probably be trash, but not because it’s drag racing, but rather because it’s an NHRA product basically.
No you miss, I find drag racing compelling as ive said above, but the gameplay possibilities are very, very limited. Looking at it objectively gameplay-wise all there is correct throttle application, shifting & braking over a very short span of time (which varies depending on car class). So that only leaves set up menu's which will be rendered useless once the optimums are shared online. Speaking of online, if the races are so short you will have a 20:1 ratio of time spent in a lobby to actual game time.

Another sadly moronic comment about us versus them and hatred (really?), this says a lot about your system prescribed mind set. No-one likes to think they're brainwashed by divide and rule, but jumping to polarised views rather than seeing things objectively for what they are is exactly how they want the herd to think.

No you miss, I find drag racing compelling as ive said above, but the gameplay possibilities are very, very limited. Looking at it objectively gameplay-wise all there is correct throttle application, shifting & braking over a very short span of time (which varies depending on car class). So that only leaves set up menu's which will be rendered useless once the optimums are shared online.
Yes, those are legitimate reasons for this particular game to most likely suck, but that’s because, as I said, it’s an NHRA product. Real world drag racing is so much more than the pro classes of the NHRA.

An example that proves drag racing games can be fun is Door Slammers 2, which is a mobile game that I’ve had quite a bit of fun with from time to time. It’s not very good looking or very well made in any sense really, but it’s fun and very competitive online, basically because it’s focused on bracket racing, which I referred to in an earlier post. I think this form of drag racing would be very interesting and a lot of fun in a game/sim with realistic physics, track surface dynamics, tire modelling and sounds.

Last edited:

Take it with a grain of salt, but some of the details in that trailer are giving me some "bargain bin purchase" vibes.

Take it with a grain of salt, but some of the details in that trailer are giving me some "bargain bin purchase" vibes.
One look at their website will make you realize that no salt is likely needed. They very much seem like a studio that relies on licensed properties to sell their games rather than any actual quality gameplay. Looking around on Steam it seems that their games aren't terrible but upon digging deeper a vast majority of positive reviews have fewer than 20 hours into the game (and a good chunk are under 5 hours!), which seems to hint that their games are rather shallow and any decent gameplay is merely a coincidence.

One look at their website will make you realize that no salt is likely needed. They very much seem like a studio that relies on licensed properties to sell their games rather than any actual quality gameplay. Looking around on Steam it seems that their games aren't terrible but upon digging deeper a vast majority of positive reviews have fewer than 20 hours into the game (and a good chunk are under 5 hours!), which seems to hint that their games are rather shallow and any decent gameplay is merely a coincidence.
Too bad, seems they don't think the appeal for an NHRA game is enough to warrant a decent investment.
Edit: if really a cheap fast cash-in, it will be a wasted opportunity to start a decent following of NHRA hardcore sims, shame since im sure if a strong effort was put into the mechanics side of things, setups, and i bet handling isn't too easy in reality for a perfect run especially, it could be interesting.
Plus the spectacle and characters involved can be entertaining...John Force 😁

Last edited:
Back