Nicolas Hammann - My Journey: 2014 US GT Academy Champion

• Thread starter NISMO_Nic
  • 66 comments
Congrats Nic......saw the last episode this evening. Your living a life most enthusists dream of. I wish you all the best with your career in racing. Keep the rubber side down mate ;)

After winning GT Academy, I flew to Charlotte, and withdrew from UNC Charlotte where I was going to school. My dad and I moved all my belongings back home. I flew to the U.K. on Sept 1st. After the 1st I was living the dream. Everyday I was driving, working out, or practicing media skills. If you would like to read day by day updates, visit http://www.nicolashammann.com/updates and read about all the experiences. I arrived back in the U.S. on November 4th and have been continuing to work out and prepare for Dubai.

Congratulations, Nic! That was a great victory and an incredibly impressive performance throughout Race Camp, and you really shined in the finale.

Alex, Parker, and Mark all seemed to have good speed in the other challenges; were you surprised at your dominance in the head-to-head race?

Congrats man! I was rooting for you the very beginning since you had the slowest time on the first benchmark. I just have to ask something:
How close to real life is gran Turismo? I'm sure everybody wonders about this

Congrats Nic, you're living the dream of a lot of people (including me) of this forum! :)

I just have to ask something:
How close to real life is gran Turismo? I'm sure everybody wonders about this

I do, I was about to ask the same question.

And I have another one: Do you have some tips you've learnt from real driving, that could be applied ingame and improve a player's skills?

👍 Well done, and all the best in the future.

Where can we see the final episode ? ,, or is it not out yet ?

To answer your question Jordan, going through the entire week I always was thinking my speed was lacking ever since the first benchmark. We were never shown our final benchmark times so I was still worried on the final day, that I would maybe have to fight in the dogfight for my spot in the final, possibly because my lack in speed. When I got the pole I was relieved but I still thought the final race was going to be very close and well fought. My experience in the quadrathalon on the International circuit helped a lot for the final race, and I was able to get up to speed quickly and pull away. Also when I began to see Mark and Alex battle in my mirrors, I was able to relax and really begin to push and pull away.

iName, I would say there are a couple similarities to GT to real life driving, but there are obviously major differences as well. Growing up I was always playing Gran Turismo just to get valuable time behind the (virtual) wheel. When a person is playing Gran Turismo it helps a lot prepare for real life racing, every corner you have to go through a process understanding what the car is doing and what you as a driver need to do. Playing the game helps teach your mind how to process information quickly and get faster. On a video game this is actually more difficult than in real life, because on a video game all you have is your hands, eyes, and ears trying to get a sense of the car, when I am behind the wheel in the GTR GT3 I have all those plus, most importantly, my body in the seat. I can feel with my butt what the car is doing. An example of this is on the game going through the corner if I begin to slide I have to hear it, see it, or feel it with my hands but with the real car, I have all that, plus much sooner I can FEEL the rear tires beginning to slip.

Also in real life there is no reset button, which makes real life driving more fun, but also more intense!

Tijee, a few things I have learned in my driver development program that helped a lot even on the simulator is definitely the importance of smoothness, and not trying to overdrive. I know that many times a person wants to carry that extra 1/2 mph through a corner, but if you are fighting the car all the way on exit, that extra tenth you gained is now lost and you would have been better being smooth in, getting on the power earlier and carrying that speed out. These two things I would say have been the biggest things that have helped me improve in the virtual world as well.

After all, road racing is just drag racing from corner to corner!;)

Congrats!! What stood out to me during the championship was your friendly, positive attitude and gentleman's approach, all of which will serve you well in the years to come. Safe driving and many happy podiums!!

Congratulations Nic!! All who excel through Race Camp are winners in my book. Good luck on your new racing career!!

Congrats @NISMO_Nic from a fellow Wisconsinite just down the road in Port Washington! Good luck in Dubai, I will surely be looking for a stream to watch :)

Additional bonus, maybe now Kaz will take a serious look at adding your "home track" to the GT roster 💡

Thank you everyone for all the support! The entire Racecamp week was amazing, and to be crowned the winner is a lifelong dream come true. Growing up at age 6 playing Gran Turismo 2 racing at tracks like Red Rock Valley, and to think in 2014 I would win GT Academy I can't put into words how honored I feel to represent Nissan, Playstation, Gran Turismo, and all the GT players that make this program a reality!

Yes most definitely, I will have to try and persuade him to get Road America on Gran Turismo, I love that track and was there watching races at age 3!

Thank you everyone for all the support! The entire Racecamp week was amazing, and to be crowned the winner is a lifelong dream come true. Growing up at age 6 playing Gran Turismo 2 racing at tracks like Red Rock Valley, and to think in 2014 I would win GT Academy I can't put into words how honored I feel to represent Nissan, Playstation, Gran Turismo, and all the GT players that make this program a reality!

Yes most definitely, I will have to try and persuade him to get Road America on Gran Turismo, I love that track and was there watching races at age 3!

Like everyone else, I'd like to congratulate you on winning. I'm curious how you feel the time you raced with ChumpCar helped at GT Academy? And given the wheel to wheel racing of ChumpCar, has that helped you with the events after you won Gt Academy? My family just got into ChumpCar racing (see signature if you're interested) this past fall and it was a blast.

@NISMO_Nic I have another question:
How was your dad reaction when you told him you won and when you asked him if he wants to talk to Danny Sullivan?
There's not so much information in the 10 seconds at the end of the show.

ChumpCar was an awesome experience, and I would recommend it anyone that loves racing, especially on a budget. I raced two weekends once at Road America and once at Brainerd Raceway. Both races were double 7's. Both races I had so much fun, and the experience I gained was priceless! With ChumpCar a person gets loads of track time racing wheel to wheel for a reasonable budget. My dad, uncle, two family friends, and I all built the car together so it helped with the cost, but just the time I was behind the wheel racing cars, and running hour long stints helped a lot.

The reaction my dad had was priceless. I first think he was speechless, and then he kept asking me questions about the race and the week at Silverstone, like "Are you saying you won?" I then think it set in, and I know how excited he was that I would be competing in front of Danny Sullivan so I thought my dad would enjoy talking with him, and hearing from Danny on how I did. My dad was so thankful and appreciative making sure to tell Danny how much I appreciate this experience, and will not make them disappointed in their pick.

After winning GT Academy, I flew to Charlotte, and withdrew from UNC Charlotte where I was going to school. My dad and I moved all my belongings back home. I flew to the U.K. on Sept 1st. After the 1st I was living the dream. Everyday I was driving, working out, or practicing media skills. If you would like to read day by day updates, visit http://www.nicolashammann.com/updates and read about all the experiences. I arrived back in the U.S. on November 4th and have been continuing to work out and prepare for Dubai.

Thanks for the link and all the updates, it's a great read! Knowing the vibe and atmosphere of just being in the garage or on pit road of a major race, the energy is indescribable. I can only slightly imagine the chills, excitement, and adrenaline you must have felt when you 1st fired the GT3 car up and rolled out...Awesome!! 👍👍

What I have read so far shows very much heading toward a great future. A calm and relaxed driver will be a consistent driver. He will adapt well to changing conditions...car and or circuit. Overtaking will be a part of the rhythm and flow he is already experiencing. He looks ahead planning and foreseeing where the next overtaking opportunity will be. This driver is alert and reads the developing circumstances ahead knowing when to be cautious or aggressive. This driver is known for finishing strong and clean...

This is the driver you are developing into. I believe you show much of the above characteristics already and you will make us very proud! 👍

Merry Christmas! :cheers:

Just wanted to update you on my journey in Dubai thus far. I arrived late last night, and today we had radical testing at the Dubai Autodrome at 9am-12pm. I had so much fun learning both the car and the track. Driving the radical was an amazing experience, and the amount of grip the car has is astounding. The track is also very fun, and I cannot wait to get back on it this coming week with the NISSAN GT3 GTR. Stay tuned for any more updates. The experience thus far has been amazing and looking forward to the 24 hr race next week!

Attachments

• IMG-20150102-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20150102-WA0007.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 30
Congrats Nic. You are living the dream :)

I have a question. Do race car drivers drive much different from clean racers online in gt6? What I mean by this is do they really protect their car and give you room if you're anywhere near them or they more aggressive and fight for position and block everytime? For example if you're coming up behind a slower car will they see you and move or see you and block you?Or is every driver different and you have to figure them out quickly?

Hey @NISMO_Nic great racing at the 24 Hours of Dubai it was real fun watching you guys race!

What I really wanted to know from you is when you went to Europe for the GT Academy camp what was the written test like that you had to take? I don't know if you can say much about it but I would really like to know what would be worth studying if I had a chance to go

Back