Night Racing is breathtaking

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brend
  • 55 comments
  • 3,678 views
GT6's sky manages to be better than the game itself. It's THAT good.
I got my mind blown when i saw the night sky on Mt. Panorama. Until i realised that the corner was in my face...
 
My point is what you said here:



...makes me doubt the value of your opinion on this, when you don't have the game.

In general people that have the game have been impressed, you don't and say you don't find it good. Interesting dat.

... And that's how you slap someone.

(Ouch!)
 
...makes me doubt the value of your opinion on this, when you don't have the game.

In general people that have the game have been impressed, you don't and say you don't find it good. Interesting dat.

Ah, so I have to have spent $60 before my opinion becomes worth anything. Good to know.

To judge physics or something, yes you would probably need to own the game to have a reasonable opinion. To judge a purely visual effect, I don't think so.

Do you think I'm not impressed with it because I haven't bought the game? Or that I haven't bought the game because I'm not impressed with it?
 
Streets of Willow is an absolute blast to drive at night. Probably my favourite. You can't see jack.
 
I don't like night racing. I can't see more than 2 feet in front of me with my brights on.
 
It's amazing, as long as you don't want to be on track with other cars. With just your own car it looks spectacular. With other cars it's really hard not to notice that you're the only one casting light...
This is untrue... I have been in many races where the car in front of you has their lights on, and if you're in first, the car behind you does.
Although I wish it was more than 1 car... :/
 
This is untrue... I have been in many races where the car in front of you has their lights on, and if you're in first, the car behind you does.
Although I wish it was more than 1 car... :/

Then they've changed it. In the release version it was only the player car.

Can you find a video of this changed behaviour? All I see is ones like this where clearly the cars in front aren't casting light.

 
Then they've changed it. In the release version it was only the player car.

Can you find a video of this changed behaviour? All I see is ones like this where clearly the cars in front aren't casting light.


1.01 changed it- I was looking specifically for that when I did my first night race on DEC 6th, and the car directly in front(about 10 car lengths) turns their lights on. I was a little disappointed that only 2 cars on the track are illuminated, but eh.

I can get a video up when I get back home later tonight if you'd like.
 
Ah, so I have to have spent $60 before my opinion becomes worth anything. Good to know.

To judge physics or something, yes you would probably need to own the game to have a reasonable opinion. To judge a purely visual effect, I don't think so.

Do you think I'm not impressed with it because I haven't bought the game? Or that I haven't bought the game because I'm not impressed with it?

No but I'd say you'd at least have to play it a bit before judging that. Playing something and watching it on youtube are very different things. As someone who has played it and put lots of time into it I'd say the night driving and dynamic lighting are breathtaking. Mt. Panorama being one of the best with city lights in the distance and the stars are very beautifully done in this game. GT5 didn't even do night racing this well. Not many games I've played do in fact. They have captured driving at night very well, imo. If you aren't impressed I'd say at least rent it and try it for yourself before commenting.
 
1.01 changed it- I was looking specifically for that when I did my first night race on DEC 6th, and the car directly in front(about 10 car lengths) turns their lights on. I was a little disappointed that only 2 cars on the track are illuminated, but eh.

I can get a video up when I get back home later tonight if you'd like.

If you have the time, that would be great.

No but I'd say you'd at least have to play it a bit before judging that. Playing something and watching it on youtube are very different things. As someone who has played it and put lots of time into it I'd say the night driving and dynamic lighting are breathtaking. Mt. Panorama being one of the best with city lights in the distance and the stars are very beautifully done in this game. GT5 didn't even do night racing this well. Not many games I've played do in fact. They have captured driving at night very well, imo. If you aren't impressed I'd say at least rent it and try it for yourself before commenting.

I've played it briefly in a game shop. I've watched a few other people playing as well. It's nice, and it's very impressive as long as you keep your eyes where PD wants you to.

The thing is, I grew up driving country roads at night. I know where the roads go, and so I'm simply looking for other cars and obstacles. This means I'm not focusing specifically on my own headlights (because anything that shows up there I'm going to notice immediately anyway), but looking down the road for other people's headlight and what they're illuminating. It's just how I learned to drive, and it's an automatic reflex for me.

You cannot use this technique in GT6. You cannot look beyond the range of your own headlights. You cannot judge how close behind you the opponent is by the strength of their lights. It's also much tougher to spot other cars and their position only by brake lights.

There are other things that come into play with night driving that GT6 doesn't allow. I'm sure for a lot of people they're fine with what GT6 does allow. But because I have this reflex to use other cars to expand the information available to me, it's immediately obvious and immersion breaking to drive GT6 at night, or even to watch a video. My eyes unconsciously skip to the next car down the road to look at his cone of light, and finds it not there.

All the other stuff at night is very pretty, I'm not denying. But I end up with this jarred, out-of-place feeling because the game won't let me look where I want to. Clearly I'm in a minority with this, and I don't knock other people that don't have this feeling, but I have no desire to train myself to be a worse night driver simply so that I can get on with a game.
 
^ Ok so you have played it a bit that makes things different and you have good points not explained before. It makes sense, doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would be annoying to others.
 
Actually, @Imari You can kind of see what I'm telling about in this video. It's only Route X, but it works on other tracks.

(Hold on a sec, I forgot to copy link)
Omg my phone isn't copying the link... If you go to YouTube and type in "Oldsmobile toronado like the wind" my video should pop up. If it doesn't, go to my page "ryandude2448". I'd do it for you but my phone is stupid :P
 
Last edited:
Actually, @Imari You can kind of see what I'm telling about in this video. It's only Route X, but it works on other tracks.

(Hold on a sec, I forgot to copy link)
Omg my phone isn't copying the link... If you go to YouTube and type in "Oldsmobile toronado like the wind" my video should pop up. If it doesn't, go to my page "ryandude2448". I'd do it for you but my phone is stupid :p

Found it, cheers.



Yeah, it's a bit tough under the street lights but you can see it. That's nice, I'm glad they did something about that.
 
try night racing with a 2j. i dont even think it has lights. i just followed the blue line at spa
 
I did 24min of Nurb with my R18 and I noticed that front light beams don't iluminate the road. It was all black. Very unpleasunt... I think it's a bug.
 
try night racing with a 2j. i dont even think it has lights. i just followed the blue line at spa
did the same with the toyota 7 at Le Mans... very scary
 
Unfortunately, the Cell can help out RSX with some graphical things, but lighting is a problem. The GPU can only render so many lighting effects. The lack of headlights was the first thing I noticed in night racing, and it is disappointing, but at least we do have it.

This is the reason why many of us lobbied for GT6 to be a PS4 game, and why some like Earth have hammered SONY for choosing to release it on PS3. On PS4, a lot of issues can be improved by having a far more powerful system with lots of ram, and having a lot more light sources will be one of them.
 
I have to agree. The night racing looks amazing in GT6. I have to admit.., I've eaten my share of "wall burgers" simply because I was paying more attention to how good it looks than watching the track.
 
I did 24min of Nurb with my R18 and I noticed that front light beams don't iluminate the road. It was all black. Very unpleasunt... I think it's a bug.

I think the R18 lights are broken, a few days ago I was calibrating my TV colors at willow, change to 23:00h and I could´t see jack, changed car to the SLS GT3 and sudently LIGHT`S.
I think the lights are impressive, you can even tell the difference between Xenon and regular halogen in older cars...
 
I've always loved night Spa. So happy we have in gt6...tho the flickering lights in replays.
 
My favourite transition is the Rotenboden sunset in Night Masters. I put pics in my gallery (signature) if anyone wants to see what I saw.
 
I had a go at Daytona in the night, really like the look of it especially at the start/finish when you blaze past the crowd and the lights.
Daytona road at night is my favourite the transitions between the inner circuit, the oval and its floodlights. SS7 is good also miss the the fireworks :) like in GT5
 
Last edited:
Back