Niiiiice!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kwicko
  • 33 comments
  • 4,455 views
Messages
1,297
Messages
Kwicko
So I just finished doing the B-Spec Indy 500, and received the '69 Fort GT-40 Race Car, which is a favorite of mine, so I decided to toddle over to the Used Car Dealership (UCD) to see if they had anything interesting... Boy, did they! It had been a while since I'd seen anything that really grabbed my eye, but today they were STOCKED. I was forced to choose between a Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR '98 (the kind famous for the "blow-over" incidents at LeMans) for a bit over 3.56 million credits, the famous '00 C5-R Corvette at 1.98 mil, the 1970 Toyota 7 at 4.39m, and the Lancia Stratos Rally Car '77 at 4.94m...

It was a tough choice, because I've been trying to save up my credits for something REALLY special, so I've limited myself to one pricey car per day or less. Let's see - I've already got the Toyota 7 and the Stratos (both Rally version AND road versions, in fact), so it's down to the 'Vette and the Benz. I'm a sucker for the beauty of the CLK-GTR, so I just had to have it. Besides, I've been playing every day since the day the game was released, and this is the first time I've seen that car come available. I had to have it. I've already got a ZR-1 'Vette RM, but I'll be sure and pick up the C5-R next time it pops up.

I love it when the used cars get restocked with awesome vehicles, but I hate it, too - it's so hard to try to choose between all the great rides!
 
The CLK-GTR is a fantastic car, and it sounds great too. But it isn't the car that was involved in the now-infamous flip. The car you are thinking of is this:

CLRflip2.jpg


A Mercedes CLR, built for the prototype rules that replaced the GT rules at the end of 1998.
 
The CLK-GTR is a fantastic car, and it sounds great too. But it isn't the car that was involved in the now-infamous flip. The car you are thinking of is this:

CLRflip2.jpg


A Mercedes CLR, built for the prototype rules that replaced the GT rules at the end of 1998.

That looks like an image from GT5.
 
Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR '98

Dude, you can win this car by getting gold in the AMG driving school challenge.

Yeah, I remember the flip at Le Mans, looked very dramatic in real time, I think a Porsche GT1 car done it aswell at one of the American tracks, not sure what one though.
 
You win the Toyota 7 in the Like the Wind B-Spec event anyway.....
 
The CLK-GTR is a fantastic car, and it sounds great too. But it isn't the car that was involved in the now-infamous flip. The car you are thinking of is this:

CLRflip2.jpg


A Mercedes CLR, built for the prototype rules that replaced the GT rules at the end of 1998.

I saw this happen live, the announcers had been talking about how this had happened to another of their cars in practice earlier. they flogged to get the two remaining cars going and, hopefully keep them down.

For the previous couple of laps, you could see then front of this car getting light whenever it got close to the Toyota in front of it, and the announcers had commented on that, then, as they crested the hill, you could see the front come up a little, then it just took off.

They used the helicopter to find it in the woods, it had landed on its wheels and the driver was already out.

The team immediately pulled the sister car from the race. Too bad, it was a beautiful car, the just couldn't keep air from getting under it for some reason.
 
Wasn't that section of track later flattened a bit to prevent cars from "Flying" again?

Oreca Viper Singing, "I'm just racing. Just plain old racing. Foot on the ~OH MY GOD THAT MERCEDES IS COMING RIGHT AT ME!!!"
 
Last edited:
The CLK-GTR is a fantastic car, and it sounds great too. But it isn't the car that was involved in the now-infamous flip. The car you are thinking of is this:

CLRflip2.jpg


A Mercedes CLR, built for the prototype rules that replaced the GT rules at the end of 1998.

Best picture ever.
 
I'm happy I just found the Toyota GT-1 race car in the UCD. Just under 3mil but I love the car.
 
Yeah, I think they eventually flattened the road a bit there, but I would argue that the engineering aerodynamics of the car itself was flawed.

Here's a link to a good analysis of what happened, if anyone's interested: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/techarticle1.htm
 
The CLK-GTR is a fantastic car, and it sounds great too. But it isn't the car that was involved in the now-infamous flip. The car you are thinking of is this:

CLRflip2.jpg


A Mercedes CLR, built for the prototype rules that replaced the GT rules at the end of 1998.
"Red 3, standing by".
"Too many hostiles, buggin out!"
 
The CLK-GTR is a fantastic car, and it sounds great too. But it isn't the car that was involved in the now-infamous flip. The car you are thinking of is this:

CLRflip2.jpg


A Mercedes CLR, built for the prototype rules that replaced the GT rules at the end of 1998.

Wish this car was in GT5. and we'll get another trophy called 'CLR Flip'
But, is it possible to redo it in GT5?

if I were you, i'd buy the GT-ONE. In the All-Stars, my 1060HP Minolta (no settings adjusted yet, just turbo) keeps on getting owned by the GT-ONE. Plus, I hate that Pescarolo Courage-Judd C60. IT'S TOO DAMN FAST!:banghead:
 
Too bad, it was a beautiful car, the just couldn't keep air from getting under it for some reason.

The air on top is the more likely culprit. Cars makes great wings. I'm sure the link someone else posted before me says the same.
 
Was this not Mark Webber that flipped this car twice in two days, in the same spot??
 
Dude, you can win this car by getting gold in the AMG driving school challenge.

Yeah, I remember the flip at Le Mans, looked very dramatic in real time, I think a Porsche GT1 car done it aswell at one of the American tracks, not sure what one though.

I believe that was Limerock Park in CT if i'm not mistaken.
 
That looks like an image from GT5.

That's what I was thinking. Thought it was my B-Spec Bob for a second.
 
Wish this car was in GT5. and we'll get another trophy called 'CLR Flip'
But, is it possible to redo it in GT5?

if I were you, i'd buy the GT-ONE. In the All-Stars, my 1060HP Minolta (no settings adjusted yet, just turbo) keeps on getting owned by the GT-ONE. Plus, I hate that Pescarolo Courage-Judd C60. IT'S TOO DAMN FAST!:banghead:

It is!!

Prize car for gold (somewhere) in AMG driving school (Specal Events), or buy it from Used Car Dealership. 👍
 
I'm happy I just found the Toyota GT-1 race car in the UCD. Just under 3mil but I love the car.

Second that! I picked up the GT-1 yesterday and have been using alot. With very little tweaking got it down to some 38.XX laps at Indy Like the Wind race using the DS3. Great fun car, wish I could paint it black though...
 
It was caused by air under the car IIRC, the underbody is designed to suck the car down so when it met the rise the air flow was altered and the front picked up. Voila flight.
 
Off-topic, but the Porsche GT1 flipped at Road Atlanta BTW.
 
Was this not Mark Webber that flipped this car twice in two days, in the same spot??

This particular pic during the race was Mark Weber, but I believe it was Peter Dumbreck that flipped its sister car the day before during practice.
 
Off-topic, but the Porsche GT1 flipped at Road Atlanta BTW.

This is true. I've driven the track (albeit I only got up to about 130, not 200) and I don't see how a car could have flipped there, unless they flattened it out as well since then. There is a curve there that made me lift in my street car because it felt a little iffy, but I wouldn't think the small rise would be enough to get a race car to lift off, I was just worried about spinning.
 
It was Mark Webber that was driving when the car backflipped wasn't it?
 
I'm pretty sure the video was of Peter Dumbreck, Webber actually flipped twice though. Once in qualifying and again in practice the next day.

Edit: The picture is of Webber, he was in the #4 car which did not make the race after the 2 flips. Dumbreck was in the #5 that flipped following the Toyota.
 
Last edited:
I don't remember the incident from the time it occurred but have seen the clip many times... I have also heard that during the design of the car and its initial running, Adrian Newey tried to tell them that this would happen unless they altered the floor. It was completely flat bottomed, and he asked them to add strakes running the length of the car to divide the air underneath the car. Alas they ignored him to maximise performance and the rest ios history...
 
Back