Nissan Drops Jann Mardenborough From GT500 Race Seat

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jan 20, 2021.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

ProjectF likes this.
  2. DS13_supergt

DS13_supergt

I can't understand this decision, he has showed his talent more than once, he has done everything that was possible and kondo racing for sure is not the fastest team.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  3. scooterlord

scooterlord

Although I don't know the driver personally, it takes more than a driving skillset for a team to pick you - eg soft skills, communication skills, etc I guess we'll learn soon about their decision.

CTznOfTime likes this.
  4. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder Premium

Very true - plus whenever motorsport decisions seem strange money is normally involved - e.g. who brings the most sponsorship to the team or who has the right nationality to match a key sponsors marketing plans.

CTznOfTime likes this.
  5. CTznOfTime

CTznOfTime

It's not a easy environment at all, highly volatile... Those who are there a long time, must know how to play the game... Not easily given to anyone, sad unfortunate truth...

6. snc

snc

and most important - sponsors skills

7. mef

mef

I hope this isn't a case of 'let's go with the Japanese driver', either on the part of the team or a sponsor.

DMacs13 and Kingofweasles like this.
  8. Tornado

Tornado

Based on his performance outlined in the article it sounds like they dropped him because he was Just A Guy when promoted to the top class, and presumably they can get JAG performance from someone who will bring the team more money or fit in better with the Japanese racing team for the Japanese manufacturer in the Japanese racing series with Japanese sponsors.

Like, he was there for 4 years. What's the usual turnover for drivers in Super GT who are usually just kinda there?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  9. GTFan24

GTFan24

If he truly was dropped simply because of Japanese driver preference over pure talent, then Nissan truly messed up big time and it will do nothing but bring up countless accusations of "Japanese Bias" in their GT500 program.

DMacs13 and Kingofweasles like this.
  10. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Japanese driver preference or any sort of Japanese bias would be funny considering this guy still drives for the factory team:

[​IMG]

And he's clearly far from being Japanese.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  11. mustafur

mustafur

Given who replaced him I think it's a fair assessment of Japanese Bias, I thought only 1 driver of the 2 even had to Japanese though.

12. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

It's sad to see what's happening to all the GT Academy graduates these days. Seems like once Nissan pulls out of motorsport they all struggle to find a drive with other teams, and now even Nissan doesn't want Jann anymore. You can only hope that Igor Fraga has got what it takes to stay in the game long term.

13. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

I feel like with Kaz backing him and still being relatively new, he's still got a chance. Nissan seems like they are just washing away ANY remnants of Darren Cox or GT Academy and Jann was basically the last thing left.