Nissan GT-R50 by Italdesign

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 105 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
I LOVE IT. :drool:

Also, I can't help but notice the photos are actually renders. Does it look like PD's handy work?

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/nissan-italdesign-create-ultimate-gt-r-celebrate-50th-anniversary/

Nissan has revealed the GT-R50 by Italdesign, a prototype based on the 2018 GT-R Nismo built to commemorate the 50th anniversary of both the iconic Japanese sports car and Italdesign.

As the GT-R turns 50, Nissan has collaborated for the first time with Italdesign to create a “limitless” GT-R. Italdesign developed, engineered and built the one-off prototype which will debut in Europe next month.

The GT-R50’s new bodywork gets a distinctive gold detailing, a new hood with a more pronounced power bulge, thin LED headlights, a lower by 54mm roofline, a steeper rake for the rear window and twin floating taillights with hollow centers, among other.

The prototype is finished in what Nissan calls “Liquid Kinetic Gray” paint finish with “Energetic Sigma Gold” accents while the wheels are custom 21-inch items.

The cabin is also bespoke, with the dashboard getting a new design that doesn’t feature an infotainment screen for a cleaner look while the instrument cluster is digital. There are two different carbon finishes used across the center console, instrument panel and door linings. Gold details match those of the exterior while black Alcantara and black leather upholstery is used for the seats.

As for the engine, a limitless GT-R should only offer the best. The hand-assembled 3.8-liter twin-turbo V6 is upgraded by NISMO with larger GT3 competition-spec turbos, larger intercoolers; heavy-duty crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods and bearings; high-flow piston oil jets; revised camshaft profiles; higher-flow fuel injectors and optimized intake and exhaust systems. The result? 710hp (720PS) at 7100rpm and 575lb-ft (780Nm) between 3600 and 5600rpm.

The six-speed dual-clutch transmission is reinforced, while stronger differentials and drive shafts make sure that the massive power will be transmitted safely to all four wheels. The suspension utilizes Bilstein DampTronic adjustable dampers.

“How often do you get to ask, ‘What if we created a GT-R without limits,’ and then actually get to build it?” said Alfonso Albaisa, Nissan’s senior vice president for global design. “This is a rare window in time when two big moments intersect: 50 years of Italdesign shaping the automotive world and 50 years of Nissan generating excitement through our iconic GT-R. So to celebrate this convergence, Nissan and Italdesign created this custom GT-R to mark 50 years of engineering leadership.”

6dce49b1-nissan-gtr50-01.jpg

aa8acaf9-nissan-gtr50-02.jpg

b9dd5dce-nissan-gtr50-07.jpg

I have a few questions, are the gold pieces made of real gold? Is it going to be for sale to consumers? If so what is the price?

It's alright, not ugly, but not a stunner. I like the over all profile, but the front ends a bit iffy, a bit too "gaping mouth" (a design trait seemingly popular amongst car design these days it'd seem). Back end is better, definitely more than a hint of 2025 VGT about it, which is a good thing as ultimately I think the 2020 VGT is better when it comes to visualising what a R36 GTR could/should look like.

Last edited:
I think the 2025 VGT is better when it comes to visualising what a R36 GTR could/should look like.
With me it is the opposite, I would rather have this GT-R50 than the 2020 VGT in GT S, sorry but in my opinion the 2025 VGT is just one ugly Hyundai.

That's probably because it's a Hyundai.

The Nissan VGT is called "Concept 2020 Vision Gran Turismo".

Hahaha, oops, bear with me it's 01:24 am here :P and i'm starting to be a bit sleepy :lol:, I even started GT S to look at the Nissan before I posted my post and still I was wrong :embarrassed: :lol:. Edited my post, I don't like the Huyndai either though :yuck:.

Last edited:
This design has so much Nissan 2025 VGT in it. There's no way that's a coincidence.
It seems likely that it is, because that's a Hyundai.
in my opinion the 2025 VGT is just one ugly Nissan
That's probably because it's a Hyundai.

Last edited:
With me it is the opposite, I would rather have this GT-R50 than the 2020 VGT in GT S, sorry but in my opinion the 2025 VGT is just one ugly Hyundai.

Hahaha, oops, bear with me it's 01:24 am here :P and i'm starting to be a bit sleepy :lol:, I even started GT S to look at the Nissan before I posted my post and still I was wrong :embarrassed: :lol:. Edited my post, I don't like the Huyndai either though :yuck:.

D'oh on my part :boggled:. 2020 VGT is what I meant my mistake, got a little sidetracked after seeing @MrWaflz55 post about it. But yeah, the 2020 rather, is a better rendition on the whole. Though I like the seemingly compact nature of the Italdesign concept compared to the 2020 concept from memory, though that could just be a trick of the pictures and my dodgy eyes deceiving me :lol:.

That rear end just screams 2020 VGT. The overall aesthetic is amazing; I like it. 👍👍

My job has nothing to do with it. Thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Way to read into it, when I said nothing of the sort. You bringing it up in reality shows me your more insecure of that thought than you should be. I simply was not surprised you liked it as much as you did.

What's wrong with the interior? Looks slick to me. Round vents, less buttons, more upscale than current R35.

Also the gold. It's just aesthetics. It's like a lime green Miura. The overall design is cool, even if some colour choices aren't liked by everyone. Should the gold pieces be Nissan Red?

Yeah well with you anything is possible.

Only if explicitly said, since it wasn't don't project your insecurities on to me.

Again I see why you like it, it has tones of the IDX and what not, but to me it seems like a goofy upscale Veilside or Top Secret modern build.

I have a few questions, are the gold pieces made of real gold? Is it going to be for sale to consumers? If so what is the price?
I don't think it would be made of gold. If they were going to use another material to create that look rather than using paint, they could go with something similar like brass. It wouldn't be the first time for automakers to use brass. The last time brass has really been used on cars for aesthetics was over 100 years ago. Brass was mainly used on radiators, headlamps and trim. However, it went out of style because chrome was cheaper and you didn't constantly have to polish it to make it presentable.
9602b9a3efb688838ba22dbe917c6d1453df389e.jpg

If this is what the R36 will look like, then bring it on! Based on the floating tail lights being carried over, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a feature on the production car.

I would prefer a fixed rear wing over a retractable one though (or at least implement a retractable spoiler within the wing.)

Back