NissanskylineN1's Build - Case Mod Finished..for now

Thanks! I've been wanting to get rid of the stock cooler for a while, but I've been too price concious with my spending, as I am in need of a job.

Anyways, I cleaned out my keyboard!
BRxNu.jpg

jfWNH.jpg

UPDATE: The heatshrink has arrived! It is a 3:1 Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tubing. It is 4.8mm in diameter and comes in 50cm pieces.

KHEkk.jpg

Yes, I am attempting to sleeve my cables. It will take a while, but I have lots of time on my hands.

UPDATE:

My cable sleeving and cable safety switch has arrived! The sleeving had unfortunately been sent the wrong colors, but the seller kindly has shipped the correct colors (red,blue and black).

c2MAt.jpg

7Uebw.jpg

ZDBwQ.jpg

fqb1U.jpg

So, I've decided to do Light Blue, Blue and purple so I get at least some of it done before school starts. Here's a guide I've written from my experiences:

xQRZX.jpg

Paracord Sleeving

1) Take the paracord and take out all its "guts". Inside paracord, there is white string that helps it keep its shape/ strength.
f1ZiE.jpg

2) Take the wire out of its pin holders. This is the hardest part of the project. You will need something thin to push down the pins on the side of the wire to let it come out. You will need quite a bit of strength for the wire to come out.

3) Measure the paracord to your wire with your fingers and cut the length. Put the wire beside the cord, and stretch the cord out only a bit.

4) Cut heatshrink to your desired length and put it on both ends of a wire.

czYyO.jpg

Ugx2j.jpg

5) The heatshrink placement really depends on your power supply and heatshrink. Since my heatshrink barely fits into the bin holder, I've made the paracord a bit short, so that the heatshrink only needs to go into the pin holders a tiny bit, while holding the wires in place.
K117F.jpg

6) Use a heatgun, match, lighter or a hot hairdrier to make the heatshrink shrink. You will have to hold the wire, so your fingers might get burnt. Grow a pair and suck it up. I had to learn that the hard way.

7) Let the heatshrink cool down and place the wire back in its holder.
A5VGK.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys! So, I'm done the case mod for now, until the rest of my colors come in, which I will finish sometime later. I hope you guys like it! The wire management will be done when I do the rest of my cable sleeving.
OVxDa.jpg

VLmEE.jpg

Looking very nice. Only thing is that stock Intel cooler is burning my eyes, please remove it ;)

Otherwise, epic work.

Hey guys, I'm here for advice. I'm thinking of buying a Xonar DG for my PC. It is a PCI card (The PCI-E is $10 more), and I was wondering if :
1) A soundcard is really necessary
2) You think it will fit in the slot below the GPU as seen in the pictures above!

If you haven't needed a sound card yet, I don't think one would be necessary. Why do you think you need one?

I recently bought a decent set of headphones and was looking at amplifiers. I noticed that soundcards can amplify too but not as much as amplifiers (my headphones are 60ohms). So, I am looking at the ASUS Xonar DG for the job.

Love your build. Paracord is amazing for everything. I was even thinking of using it for shoestrings just in case I get into a James Bond situation.

I recently bought a decent set of headphones and was looking at amplifiers. I noticed that soundcards can amplify too but not as much as amplifiers (my headphones are 60ohms). So, I am looking at the ASUS Xonar DG for the job.

I used a Xonar DG (The PCI one) in my old build (I have Audiotechnica Headphones). Was quite a bit improved over stock in my opinion. I also have a Creative X-Fi which is pretty good, but not as good as the DG.

My 2¢...

Spend the extra $10 for the PCIe model, and put it into that free PCIe 4x slot at the bottom.
Putting the sound card in that PCI slot is going to give you some problems with your GPU cooling. Those Powercolor coolers are really right at the limit of the two slot height, and because of their weight, have a tendency to cause the video card to sag or droop. Which can, if it gets bad enough, result in the shroud coming in contact with the card below it. Likewise, because of being in suck close proximity with the card below, it really starves the intake fan of air, and causes the card to suck back through some the now trapped air that blows out of the heat sink on the motherboard side. You are easily looking at a temp increase of 5c just from installing a card opposite of the Powercolor GPU. So get the PCIe version, and give it the room it needs to breathe.

Look at it this way, $10 is a heck of a lot less than $150-250 for a new video card to replace one that burns out from over heating.

(Experience: 15 years in the IT industry as a technician, 20 years a gaming enthusiast, and a high end custom gaming system builder, with well over a thousand builds under my belt)

My 2¢...

Spend the extra $10 for the PCIe model, and put it into that free PCIe 4x slot at the bottom.
Putting the sound card in that PCI slot is going to give you some problems with your GPU cooling. Those Powercolor coolers are really right at the limit of the two slot height, and because of their weight, have a tendency to cause the video card to sag or droop. Which can, if it gets bad enough, result in the shroud coming in contact with the card below it. Likewise, because of being in suck close proximity with the card below, it really starves the intake fan of air, and causes the card to suck back through some the now trapped air that blows out of the heat sink on the motherboard side. You are easily looking at a temp increase of 5c just from installing a card opposite of the Powercolor GPU. So get the PCIe version, and give it the room it needs to breathe.

Look at it this way, $10 is a heck of a lot less than $150-250 for a new video card to replace one that burns out from over heating.

(Experience: 15 years in the IT industry as a technician, 20 years a gaming enthusiast, and a high end custom gaming system builder, with well over a thousand builds under my belt)
I used a Xonar DG (The PCI one) in my old build (I have Audiotechnica Headphones). Was quite a bit improved over stock in my opinion. I also have a Creative X-Fi which is pretty good, but not as good as the DG.

In your opinions, are sound cards actually worth it?

In your opinions, are sound cards actually worth it?

I have a set of Sennheiser HD650's, they require adequate amplification to sound good. They also transmit every hiss, pop, buzz, or whine from the electrical noise of the motherboard when connected to onboard audio. Aside from being severely under driven.

Another added benefit is much clearer voice coms. Again, much less noise. And better quality ADCs.

Honestly, if you don't have a high end, high impedance, high sensitivity set of headphones that bring out the shortcomings of the onboard audio, there is little reason to opt for an add in sound card. Mediocre audio equipment will still sound mediocre when connected to a high end sound card.

Back