No enhancement, no downsampling for 1080p screen users on PS4 Pro

• Thread starter Fifi
  • 53 comments
France
France
Good morning IanBell

I really love the project cars games,

But I were really desappointed when I first launched project cars 2 on my PS4 Pro. I'm an 1080p user and the game is full of jaggies, poor anti aliasing, poor anisothropic filtering.

Could you make a downsampling mode for project cars 2 on PS4 Pro pro (and for the incoming Xbox One X version) to allow 1080p users to have the best experience with the game.

I thank you in advance for reading

@IanBell

I was thinking of three (suggestions) possibilities :

1. a resolution mode (with supersampling for 1080p users)

2. a performance mode (1080p resolution with ultra settings : better shadows, better lightening effects, a far better anti-aliasing, better anistropic filtering)

3. The King's choice : an option to choose between supersampling and 1080p with ultra settings.

I am maybe an obsessional guy ;-) but I really love project cars and wish having the best experience for my PS4 pro and my future Xbox One X on my 1080p screen.

I thank you in advance.

Digital foundry lied when they said the pro has downsampling in pcars2. Honestly its one of the reasons i bought the game day one and now i regret it :( hopefully sms can implement another form of anti-aliasing in the game since it is currently a jaggfest on 1080p

i really wish SMS will make something for 1080p users on PS4 PRo. But I'm confident they did a great improvement job with project cars one even on Xbox One.

it's really suprising that they hardly improve the visuals from pcars1. im really expecting a lot more since their work on porting it to ps4 is very respectable.

Waiting for @IanBell answer then we will know. Maybe they had not enough time to improve PC2 on PS4 Pro for 1080p screen user but I really wish it will be fixed in the futur. A supersampling mode option is easy to do but no idea if an 1080p mode with ultra settings is easy to do to... Anyway other games have already done that (e.g. : Horizon Zero Dawn and it looks gorgeous). Please mister Bell listen to us ! ;-)

i highly doubt they can implement downsampling maybe for performance reasons but hey they can prove me wrong :) an improve anti-aliasing solution will be enough for me ;)

downsampling is great... F1 2017 is full of issues but with downsampling it looks gorgeous... really wish this option for project cars 2.

This can't be real...Even Battlefield 1 does it and has better Performance than normal PS4. Does it at least offer the performance increase showcased in DigitalFoundry framerate analysis yet?

Waiting for @IanBell answer then we will know. Maybe they had not enough time to improve PC2 on PS4 Pro for 1080p screen user but I really wish it will be fixed in the futur. A supersampling mode option is easy to do but no idea if an 1080p mode with ultra settings is easy to do to... Anyway other games have already done that (e.g. : Horizon Zero Dawn and it looks gorgeous). Please mister Bell listen to us ! ;-)

I've passed it to the team. I suspect we can run 1080p with much more AA at a solid frame rate.

the performance analysis of the game by digital foundry is spot on and also the resolution bump to 1440p+hdr is true when you use a 4k tv. what is missing is downsampling in 1080p which they mentioned on their artcle

I've passed it to the team. I suspect we can run 1080p with much more AA at a solid frame rate.

Thank you for your answer @IanBell

It seems that, on 1080p screen, we only have Boost mode so we don't have increased level of detail (shadow seems low, reflections looks really pixelated), so could you implement to those increased detail (just like higher levels of detail on both the cars and track scenery, on objects such as trackside grass, and shadows).

And I am curious but why don't you want to speak about supersampling option ? ;-) Rise of the tomb raider brings late after its release a patch with 4k (and supersampling for 1080p screen) and a performance mode option to (1080p with ultra settings and 60 fps). Is it possible for project cars 2 ?

Did you use the RPM fp16 technic on PS4 Pro for shadows and car reflection ? It seems to be a great tool.

I bought it on both PS4 Pro and Xbox One, can't waiting for the Xbox One X version ;-) (really wish the Xbox One X hardware directly use the supersampling for 1080p screen).

Thank you for your great game !

Yeah definitely can't spot the difference between standard ps4 and ps4 pro on a 55 inch 1080p tv... something is not quite right

No Fifi, you are not the only one. Another 1080p user here hoping for a patch.

Me too but I'm confident SMS did a great optimisation job with project cars 1.

Maybe there are issues with PC2 enhancement for PS4 Pro on 1080p and they'll fix it or maybe they forgot 1080p screen users and they'll done something for us with patchs.

Me too but I'm confident SMS did a great optimisation job with project cars 1.

Maybe there are issues with PC2 enhancement for PS4 Pro on 1080p and they'll fix it or maybe they forgot 1080p screen users and they'll done something for us with patchs.

They better be, most of pro users are on 1080p

Yesterday I suppressed the game then I reinstalled it and tonight I decided to play with and surprise when I launched it, it looks cleaner and sharper with better lightening effects. Still to much aliasing but far better... I am unable to explain why...

Yesterday I suppressed the game then I reinstalled it and tonight I decided to play with and surprise when I launched it, it looks cleaner and sharper with better lightening effects. Still to much aliasing but far better... I am unable to explain why...
Were you high? :P

The level of detail on cars just infront is absolutely awful with them just becoming a blur/smudge 5 metres away. Pcars 1 on og PS4 was no where near as bad as this...

Is the PS4 Pro version bugged?

So we use PS Pro internal downsampling to get to 1080p. We're looking at solutions to improve the looks and AA on both Pro and stock PS4.

Thank you for sharing with us motorsport passion and for listen to the player. The cars physics is just amazing, I really love it and when I saw the Aston Martin GTLME with Gulf livery it was like Christmas :-)

Will those solutions to improve the looks and AA be available for Xbox One and next Xbox One X too ?

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing with us motorsport passion and for listen to the player. The cars physics is just amazing, I really love it and when I saw the Aston Martin GTLME with Gulf livery it was like Christmas :-)

Will those solutions to improve the looks and AA be available for Xbox One and next Xbox One X too ?

We're pretty much as good as we can get on stock Xbox. On the X though, we'll be looking epic. Pretty much high end PC looks.

We're pretty much as good as we can get on stock Xbox. On the X though, we'll be looking epic. Pretty much high end PC looks.

I clearly see my Xbox One hardware is on agony, not enough power. Can't waiting for seeing PC2 on the Xbox One X :-)

This is how bad PCars 2 looks on my Pro

Project_CARS_2_20170927012721.png

Project_CARS_2_20170927012703.png

Project_CARS_2_20170927013237.png

Project_CARS_2_20170927111706.png

Project_CARS_2_20170927115154.png

PCARS 1 on the og PS4 was a STUNNING looking title how can the sequel look absolutely awful on the Ps4 Pro with double the GPU? Does it look like this for everyone else?
Project%20CARS%202_20170927012655.png

Last edited:
Do you play with boost mode on? Just a thought that this may help the AA on a 1080p TV. I took mine off just for this game and it seems to help a little (although I have a 4K tv) so it maybe sharper anyway or in my imagination as I sit quite far from the TV :cool:

Back