No Logitech G25 support? Seriously?

• Thread starter Foxis
  • 52 comments
As title. What were they thinking? Expecting me to buy a new wheel to replace the G25 which was a top tier wheel and is still supported by most other games?

I am far more likely to go back to iRacing. Severely disappointed.

G25 will not work with any PS4 game. There was a spat between logitech and sony over this at launch - logitech said sony had mandated use of a special chip to make wheels work, sony said that logitech needed to write a driver for their wheel.

As far as I understand it (and I may be wrong) the ball was put on Logitech's court in the end, but they have no motivation to make old wheels work, they'd rather you buy a new one.

Thankfully we now have a solution in the form of either the drivehub or GIMX.

Logitech dropped out of periphery gear for PS4 and Sony wouldn’t stump the costs for the drivers so now you need buy one of those devices there are out there to connect your wheel.

VBR
Get yourself a Drive Hub Racing Wheel Converter. Makes your G25 work flawlessly on PS4 by convincing the console that it's a G29. Has fully working FFB too (see my review).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/drive-hub-racing-wheel-converter-works-with-gt-sport.358306/

👍

First off thank you VBR for this. I love you.

After cold turkey switching to Iracing from Gran Turismo last year I had no idea about this mess. I can definitely say I am so happy for this. I was super pissed off this morning spending the $60 for GT Sport having Fanatec gear (CSW V2 base, V3 pedals, Universal Hub, in my case) just to learn that I might have to buy another $600 wheel setup??? Id rather tear my nipples off with a rusty pliers.

But.... I want to be clear, because ive been digging all day trying to come to this conclusion. Is the Drive Hub absolutely all I need? should I even be looking at the CronusMax Plus?

My biggest fear at the moment is my Universal hub honestly I'm not sure if that could be an obstacle.

Tell me, what other thing, besides maybe your car, haven't you still replaced after 11 years? And your girlfriend doesn't count.
I swap wives every two years. :D

However, while I agree with your sentiment, the stunt that these companies pulled is absolutely disgusting. The G25 works perfectly fine on any new PC sim, including multiplatform titles that are also on the PS4 (AC, PC1, PC2, etc.). Same for many other wheels The only reason these wheels don't work on PS4 is because these companies artificially made it that way so they can get your money again, not because they technically don't work. The simple fact that they do with a converter proves this.

Logitech deserves a special place in hell in this case. They ditched the G27 for PS4, then released the *exact* same gear-driven wheel with a different casing and asked the same for it as a modern belt-driven wheel. They are never getting money from me again for this reason. Also considering that the G27 was not exactly a step up from the G25, especially when it comes to FFB deadzone.

This is a Sony issue, and not a Polyphony Digital issue. My Fanatec CSW 2.0 worked on PS4, at least in Project Cars, until they wanted a special chip, which made it useless on PS4. So it's either buy the CSL Elite, or what I did was, use a DriveHub.

Does this really work with the drive hub? The next question is is it worth it for GT sport? The game itself was €60 the drive hub is another 75€. I doubt Sony will support the CSW again on the PlayStation. It really sucks because when I bought the CSW I bought it because of the PlayStation. It works with project cars 1, drive club, and DIRT Rally. Unfortunately one cannot return games in the Sony PlayStation store. Sony profit politics sucks. I will stick to the PC in the future. I don't like these closed ecosystems from Sony and Apple

Logitech deserves a special place in hell in this case.

Can we for sure put the blame and responsibility on Logitech's shoulders for this situation? I could never figure out what went wrong in their relation (with PD) that could justify the switch to Trustmasters in the transition from GT5P to GT5 full iteration. Any clue?

The only reason these wheels don't work on PS4 is because these companies artificially made it that way so they can get your money again, not because they technically don't work. The simple fact that they do with a converter proves this.

Don't these converters perform their magic trick by faking the "identity" of the wheel, suggesting the bottleneck could reside in the consoles instead?

"Can we for sure put the blame and responsibility on Logitech's shoulders for this situation?"

It's the same situation with Fanatec. 2015 or 14 the CSW was still officially compatible with the PlayStation. Then Sony decided to make more profit. From one day to the other the wheel was not supported any longer. Sony lost me as a customer for future games. That's the result of the out profit maximization trip. How do we know how long the drive hub will work on the PlayStation? it's a nice thing but illegal. I mean how stupid does Sony have to be, they lost a huge bunch of people as possible customers with their special Thrustmaster deal.

I play with both Logitech G27 via chronus max plus (drivehub should work the same) and ds4.

If you're playing raw with no assists, wheel definatelty helps. With assists, playing online in sport mode, I find ds4 is better. Especially at managing the inevitable bumps you get from other people. Can make quick direction changes and brake/accelerate much more quickly with ds4, and the assists do the rest of the work. So the smoothness and precision of a wheel is entirely lost in Sport Mode, where you need to run the assists to be competitive.

Can we for sure put the blame and responsibility on Logitech's shoulders for this situation? I could never figure out what went wrong in their relation (with PD) that could justify the switch to Trustmasters in the transition from GT5P to GT5 full iteration. Any clue?
I think the whole 'identity/security' chip thing is on Sony. But re-releasing what's basically the same old wheel, then asking belt-driven-price for it is on LT. (new G27s were going for a lot less even before the G29 was released)

Don't these converters perform their magic trick by faking the "identity" of the wheel, suggesting the bottleneck could reside in the consoles instead?
This is correct AFAIK. 👍 The fact that these converters can pull this off means there's really no technical limitation to making this wheels work, it's an artifically introduced one. That's the main gripe people have with these practices: there's no technical reason for them not to work (because they do), they specifically introduced a limitation to wrestle more money from your pocket. Their platform of course, but don't blame people if they then decide not to play along with that game.

Is the Drive Hub absolutely all I need? should I even be looking at the CronusMax Plus?

My biggest fear at the moment is my Universal hub honestly I'm not sure if that could be an obstacle.

Drive Hub is superior in every way to the CronusMax Plus, & is a dedicated wheel converter (it is all you need). You can plug your V3 pedals into the wheel base, or the Drive Hub itself in the accessory port. I can't comment on the universal hub, as I didn't test any Fanatec gear apart from the CSR during my review.

And just in case the worst comes to the worst, there's always these! ;)

I'm almost sure Logitech had financial problems which caused them to dial back/cut production of several segments, and that probably influenced niche peripherals like gaming wheels. Thrustmaster probably jumped on the opportunity offering a new wheel to go with the game.

There's no bottleneck.

Sony changed their USB accessory security, so they want companies to relicense their products.
Companies don't want to pay for relicensing of products they won't make money off.

Fighting game sticks shown that if developers want, they can develop legacy drivers and support old peripherals.
Polyphony being a first party developer won't go against company policy and support legacy controllers.

It may be that companies asked third party developers not to support legacy wheels too. I might be remembering wrong but PC1 had support for a couple legacy/unlicensed wheels that got dropped.

Does this really work with the drive hub? The next question is is it worth it for GT sport? The game itself was €60 the drive hub is another 75€. I doubt Sony will support the CSW again on the PlayStation. It really sucks because when I bought the CSW I bought it because of the PlayStation. It works with project cars 1, drive club, and DIRT Rally. Unfortunately one cannot return games in the Sony PlayStation store. Sony profit politics sucks. I will stick to the PC in the future. I don't like these closed ecosystems from Sony and Apple
I had no problems with my CSW 2.0 with my CSP v1 working with the DriveHub. A game like Dirt 4 supports the Fanatec CSL Elite. In Fanatec Mode, the drivehub tricks the PS4, thinking that I’m using the CSL Elilte, which also makes my Fanatec Handbrake also work.

With GT Sport, since there is no Fanatec driver support, the drivehub tricks it into a G29, as long as you have it in Fanalogic Mode. Unfortunately, I had to send in my CSW to get repaired, so I’m using a Fanatec CSR, that is for the 360, until it comes back. So I can’t test to see if my handbrake would work or not, since I only have v1 pedals.

For me it was worth it. It’s a small price to pay in order to not have to buy another wheelbase. I also play on Xbox One, and I use the Xbox Universal Hub, so natively it works on Xbox without the use of the drivehub. So the drivehub main purpose for me was to work on PlayStation, and so far it does.

Sounds cool so far. Is there any noticeable input lag? How does it work when the box emulates the G 29 with the CSW? Are there any setting that they can be adjusted in game? or does the ffb feels strange? I mean, the CSW is belt driven the Logitech not

Thanks for all the replies!
Apologies for the terse tone of my first post, but I was really ticked off. I set up the seat and wheel rig to allow my son to play GTS with a proper setup only to learn that it did not work. Left with a very disappointed son and felt quite ripped off TBH.
Regardless of who is ultimately at fault (Sony/Logitech) the end result surely has some ingredients of planned obsolescence. Why write drivers / adhere to licensing requirements if you can just get the customer to toss the old wheel on the landfill and get a new one? Grr.

Anyway, to keep this constructive:
The DriveHub seems like an awesome product - many thanks for the suggestion!

Given the situation however, I wonder what is the best cause of action:
1. Get a new Thrusmaster wheel (T300 RS GT?)
2. Get DriveHub and keep using the G25.
3. Get DriveHub and a Fanatec setup. :D

My perspective is not purely focused on Gran Turismo Sport. I may head back to iRacing so whatever I chose would have to work for both environments.

Thanks again for the feedback and help!

Sounds cool so far. Is there any noticeable input lag? How does it work when the box emulates the G 29 with the CSW? Are there any setting that they can be adjusted in game? or does the ffb feels strange? I mean, the CSW is belt driven the Logitech not
I've noticed no lag when using the Drivehub, or even when I used the CronusMax Plus. Just feels natural to me, when using the wheel.

Unfortunately, my CSW died about three days before the release of the GT Sport demo. So I can’t comment on how well it worked, until I get it back from Fanatec. I was able to use my CSW in the closed beta using the CronusMax Plus, before the DriveHub was even released. If I remember correctly, if felt pretty strong, and felt good.

The only problem that I noticed with the FFB, was with the wheel wanting to go left right, left right in the straights, and it took some strength trying to stop it. Not sure if the full release will stop this problem or not. But I know I had this problem in F1 2017 as well, but I just adjusted an in game setting(road force iirc) to fix that. I think GT Sport is pretty limited in wheel settings compared to other games like F1 2017 and Project Cars. So I won't know how it will feel until I get it back, but with the CSR, FFB feels fine emulating a G29.

Last edited:
That means game you get the adjustments for a Logitech G 29? GT sport will show me that a G 29 is connected to the PS4? Hmmm. Just another 80€ ... Well well well :) probably I will continue with the download and test the Nordschleife with VR and the awesome Controler lol. I don't think I will get my money back from Sony

I'm almost sure Logitech had financial problems which caused them to dial back/cut production of several segments, and that probably influenced niche peripherals like gaming wheels. Thrustmaster probably jumped on the opportunity offering a new wheel to go with the game.

Logitech temporary withdrew from console peripherals back in 2013 indeed. They where however the partner of choice for PD in 2008 when GT5 Prologue hit the market. Kaz himself praised the benefits of the DFGT (featuring software specific/exclusive functionality) that Logitech must have shipped in numbers. In 2010 PD apparently turned their back and switched to TM. GT5P initial support for the newly arrived G27 was far from straightforward already and I suspect something just went wrong between both companies.

There's no bottleneck.

Bottleneck may have been badly worded; restriction, obstruction, stoppage or blockage may fit better...

Depends how deep your pockets are, if there is nothing wrong with your G25 I'd go drivehub I think.
Unless you have gear lust and fancy getting a new wheel, I guess you could sell the G25 to help fund it.

1. Get a new Thrusmaster wheel (T300 RS GT?)

You might want to view the results of the poll in this thread & have a read through before doing that.

Holy cow, I ordered a drive hup. Thanks gtplanet for the discount. I just tested GT sport with the Controler and VR. It looks promising. Project cars 2 I couldn't stand from the first minute. I hope I don't regret buying this little box for almost €100

VBR
You might want to view the results of the poll in this thread & have a read through before doing that.
Ok, that's bad.

I am assuming the problems may well continue on the new GT version of the T300RS as well, since the core of the wheel is probably the same...

Seems like DriveHub + G25 and possibly a new, better wheel later on might be the best option..

Logitech temporary withdrew from console peripherals back in 2013 indeed. They where however the partner of choice for PD in 2008 when GT5 Prologue hit the market. Kaz himself praised the benefits of the DFGT (featuring software specific/exclusive functionality) that Logitech must have shipped in numbers. In 2010 PD apparently turned their back and switched to TM. GT5P initial support for the newly arrived G27 was far from straightforward already and I suspect something just went wrong between both companies.

g152955g38z33.jpg

Had to google and yeah, they had just dived after the 2008 crash, so they probably didn't have the spare money to secure and produce a branded wheel along their G27 which released in late 2010 apparently.

Had to google and yeah, they had just dived after the 2008 crash, so they probably didn't have the spare money to secure and produce a branded wheel along their G27 which released in late 2010 apparently.

Has there ever been any sign or hint Logitech were working on a higher end DFGT at the time or that they had to pull the plug on a second GT oriented wheel due to the 2008 crisis? I always thought Logitech hardware updates were minimal due to relatively effective and reliable initial designs, not by potential lack of funding. The G29 was generally considered a poor effort in terms of upgrades as it was combining 2 existing models into one, but the thought it could have been a revived 6 years old project pushes the concept of refurbishing a little further...

Back