No Man's SkyPS4 

• Thread starter iainn
  • 1,425 comments
1681086521681.png

Thanks, idiot pirate who tried to jump me right outside a space station in one of the most heavily guarded systems in the galaxy. Shame I couldn't take your cool looking ship too, but can't have everything I guess.

Been considering this game for a while now. Do you guys agree with the sentiments in this video?

Also, (if you have played both) how does compare, if at all, to Starfield?

I'd say comparing NMS to Starfield is like comparing an apple to a tomato. At first look they're both red, round fruits, but when you bite into them you get a completely different experience.

Starfield is more of an open world RPG that concentrates on its storylines to move you along, and the exploration part is to give you a break when you get tired of that. NMS is more of a sandbox type game, there's storylines to pursue but you don't get much guidance on where they are or how to progress on them because the exploring and survival aspects are the real focus.

I think the ideal game would be NMS's exploration and base building coupled with Starfield's story, combat, and shipbuilding. The both do different things and while they're both in space, they're pretty different.

I feel like NMS is way more impressive than Starfield. My end game was travelling across the galaxy to the Galactic Hub which was really cool.

Last edited:
Been considering this game for a while now. Do you guys agree with the sentiments in this video?

No mans sky gives you freedom starfield gives you loading screens.

If I do have one real gripe about No Man's Sky, it's that a lot of the content they've added in as of late has no clear indicator that it even is there if you haven't been reading all of the patch notes when they're posted, and more and more the new content requires you to have completed things from previous updates with no idea of what the requirements are to enable it. If I were someone who was just picking up the game for the first time, I wouldn't even be aware that most of this content existed because it requires so much prior knowledge and sometimes just dumb luck to come across it.

I was pretty interested to check out the Autophage stuff in the most recent update, but after spending time looking for how to start the quest I found out that you have to complete the main storyline, be managing a settlement and finish the "A Trace of Metal" questline from the sentinel update, which is a complex quest in itself, then go warping around as many as 20 times until it randomly triggers the event that finally lets you begin it, and THEN you have to find a corrupted planet which are randomly generated and difficult to find.

So that's at least 30+ hours of gameplay, if luck is on your side, before you even get a whiff of this content which has been the headline of the update. I'm not saying that it needs to be easily obtainable right from the beginning, but this stuff is buried so far under so many things with so little indicator of how to get to it, that the majority of players will probably just never experience it.

It’s a late-game quest. I am assuming they place those further out on purpose. But yeah if you’re new you need to focus on other stuff first, no shortcuts for this one.

There’s an overwhelming amount of content available to new players right now as it is, especially compared to launch.

Kind of the reverse problem Starfield has. 😂

As someone who got NMS day 1 in like 2016, I would much prefer to have the content right now as a new player than what was on release. Yeah, some stuff is a bit more difficult to get around, but there is a wiki, or fandom I don’t remember, which can end up being your best friend.

As someone who got NMS day 1 in like 2016, I would much prefer to have the content right now as a new player than what was on release. Yeah, some stuff is a bit more difficult to get around, but there is a wiki, or fandom I don’t remember, which can end up being your best friend.
The issue with that is twofold though. First the wiki is really not very descriptive on a lot of things either and Fandom's layout sucks, so unless you know exactly what to look for it's not going to help much. Which ties back into the problem of not even knowing it's there in the first place.

And second, anytime a game requires you to have a seperate webpage or guide open to progress, it just sucks all the fun out of it. Again, I'm not saying it all needs to be dumped into your lap at the start, but even a rudimentary in-game method of discovering and tracking all these new plot threads would be welcome. Even if it's something simple like one of the NPCs on the Anomaly being a rumor mill that gradually gives hints on what to look for, just to give a nudge in the general direction of it.

Missed opportunity not calling it No Man's Land. Especially since the logo has a red ball in it and looks sort of like the Atlas.

A look at Hello Games' new project

Looks fantastic, almost no chance it'll work as advertised whenever it launches, multiplayer (meh), I still want it.

Got real strong Fable vibes from that trailer, might be the only one, but it really made me think of Fable. Looks brilliant though.

If I do have one real gripe about No Man's Sky, it's that a lot of the content they've added in as of late has no clear indicator that it even is there if you haven't been reading all of the patch notes when they're posted, and more and more the new content requires you to have completed things from previous updates with no idea of what the requirements are to enable it...
Yeah, that got me more than a little miffed at the time, especially as I had absolutely no interest in managing a settlement. That was not long after the time when Sean was trying to push players into heavier combat focus with a "git gud" mentality and I switched over to my creative save for a while. Thankfully that has since stopped and you can tweak your saves to suit multiple difficulty options now. I think that shift drove some players away

I hope he has continued to learn from that - but I'm concerned that the new game will suffer from the same lack of guidance and explanation that we see in NMS...and incomplete lore.

Back