No More Tuning Prohibited/Spec/Stock racing! - UPDATE: Feature Added In 1.10

• Thread starter VBR
  • 74 comments

Would you like a Tuning Prohibited option in GT Sport's online lobbies?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I read through many threads concerning many subjects about what people want or prefer in the game or do not want it becomes obvious that it would be hard if not downright impossible to make a game that fills everyone's desires without so many different levels and classes of racing that would cover all scenario's.

So what would you rather have a game balanced to a point that all makes of cars within a class has roughly an even chance of winning even though their strong and weak points may lie in different areas of a track (this is what I think GTS is trying to accomplish) or have it maybe more real world where it would be a possibility that one or two cars in a class are the only ones with really having a chance of winning as they dominate the competition performance wise?

As a game producer you also must take into account to receive a license to create and model real world brands and cars that if the performance of that brand within your game made the brand look inferior or non competitive against other brands in the same car class would you grant the license or permission to the game to use your brand?

I would rather see multiple brands battling within a class and actually be able to drive a car I liked overall rather than be forced to drive something different to have a chance to be competitive or place well in a race. I do understand that I am playing a game and I want a fun, close clean racing experience and fully realize I will never turn my game playing into a career in the real world!

So as a result it really does not matter to me if the Corvette cannot beat the Mercedes AMG in the real world at a particular track. Maybe I just like the looks and the sound of the Corvette in the game better. All that matters as it was a heck of a race with a lot of close battles and changing positions back and forth.

There is a lot behind the scenes that we as racers are not privy to as to why some decisions or options may or not be in the finished product.
Giving players options solves many problems. That way we can tailor our individual game experience to our own preferences. No one is asking for their way to be the only way, just the option to choose their way. Big difference.

Giving players options solves many problems. That way we can tailor our individual game experience to our own preferences. No one is asking for their way to be the only way, just the option to choose their way. Big difference.

I totally agree that the more options we have as the consumer the better off we are for having the exact experience we are looking for as an individual.
This particular option to have tuning prohibited races allowed in the lobbies is one that should be allowed and added for sure as it would not really require any additional content to the game to be able to institute the option so the game maker should not really have a reasonable reason to exclude it.

I think sometimes I do try to look at things from the game makers standpoints and my answers reflect those observations. Just because I can possibly understand as to the probable why of a decision does not mean I personally like or agree with the game makers decision.

I voted No.
Tuning is a huge part of racing.
If you're not into it, run the stock tune. If you're not good at it many good tunes always show up on our forum here and across the net.
In PC2 it's frustrating to load into a lobby to see no tuning or the CRL turned off.
I know I'm vastly outnumbered here, and think the no tune option would only be good for those trying to run a no tune series to prevent cheating.
Open lobbies though?
Please tune.

VBR
With BoP enabled, people can still tune their cars. So if you had two drivers of equal speed in the same cars with one untuned & the other tuned to the max, you're obviosly going to get different times. People have been racing with the Tuning Prohibited option since the days of GT5 through to GT6, taking it out is a kick in the teeth to them.

BoP locks the tuning of all cars at a given course, including downforce, gearing , LSD and everything else last I checked. Tuning prohibited and BoP are two vastly different things, BoP again balances the car with the course and against the other cars. Tuning prohibited simply means you are stuck with whatever disadvantage or advantages that car may possess in relation to the course and the other cars in the same class. Unless everyone is racing in the same car a tuning prohibited only room is still worse than BoP, no matter how you slice it. BoP is auto tuned to match the course, meaning the cars are optimally tuned to mitigate performance differences, tuning prohibited doesn't do that and couldn't hope to be a level playing field.

XXI
I voted No.
If you're not into it, run the stock tune. If you're not good at it many good tunes always show up on our forum here and across the net.
In PC2 it's frustrating to load into a lobby to see no tuning or the CRL turned off.
I know I'm vastly outnumbered here, and think the no tune option would only be good for those trying to run a no tune series to prevent cheating.
Open lobbies though?
Please tune.
You have the option of opening your own lobbies that allow tuning. Not sure what the point is of forcing your preferred option on all players.

Last edited:
My vote is NO and solely based on the fact that GTS is geared towards Racing/Competitive Online Racing only now. GT5/GT6 are not and with their the huge amount of production cars that option was more fitting.

XXI
I voted No.

Open lobbies though?

Please tune.

I agree to a point. No power tuning should be allowed so that race cars are running the stock HP and Parts but suspension and transmission tuning should be allowed. This is a real part for many types of racing and Its been said a 1000 times now that GTS is focused on the racing side of the game so allowing suspension and transmission tuning in every race makes perfect sense especially because some limited amount of tuning is allowed in every MotorSport.

Lets say with all things being completely equal car wise and your about to race using a controller with automatic transmission and the person sitting next to you on the grid has the steering wheel, pedals, gear shifter and maybe even the 3 TV setup then to me your already at a disadvantage before the race has even started but if you have the ability to setup your car to the way you drive with a controller that gap closes. Same thing in real life driver's cars are setup to their driving style.

Bop works pretty well in sport mode as there is great variety of cars in podium place. Atleast in average races. If you check top lists its often one car dominating in the end of qualifying. Still the racing is a lot more diverse in terms of competitive cars vs anything in gt5 or gt6. So if theres a lobby with option of sport mode bop im very happy.

Last edited:
Today I went for the first time to a lobby (GTS demo) and I couldn't change my setup. Not sure it was a bug or not but I had stage 3 engine and weight reduction and people were racing stock GT3. I went to the car setup and the options were blocked/greyed out.

I'm not 100% sure if I could tweak suspensions, LSD or gears but from what I vaguely recall I couldn't.
If you had already entered the event you cannot alter specs, so cancel entry then go into settings and you can change stuff then going back onto track automatically re enters you into the race

BoP locks the tuning of all cars at a given course, including downforce, gearing , LSD and everything else last I checked.

No, it doesn't. In a public lobby hosted by myself, as previously stated, all the tuning options are still avaiable & after setting the car up I was still able to go to track.

Last edited:
VBR
No, it doesn't. In a public lobby hosted by myself, as previously stated, all the tuning options are still avaiable & after setting the car up I was still able to go to track.

Then that doesn't make sense, the purpose of BoP is to remove tuning of the car individually. Something was not right in that, that's not how it's supposed to work in the least. If that's happening release day then PD will have to notified of it since that is not working as intended.

Reactions: VBR
My vote is NO and solely based on the fact that GTS is geared towards Racing/Competitive Online Racing only now. GT5/GT6 are not and with their the huge amount of production cars that option was more fitting.

I agree to a point. No power tuning should be allowed so that race cars are running the stock HP and Parts but suspension and transmission tuning should be allowed. This is a real part for many types of racing and Its been said a 1000 times now that GTS is focused on the racing side of the game so allowing suspension and transmission tuning in every race makes perfect sense especially because some limited amount of tuning is allowed in every MotorSport.

Lets say with all things being completely equal car wise and your about to race using a controller with automatic transmission and the person sitting next to you on the grid has the steering wheel, pedals, gear shifter and maybe even the 3 TV setup then to me your already at a disadvantage before the race has even started but if you have the ability to setup your car to the way you drive with a controller that gap closes. Same thing in real life driver's cars are setup to their driving style.
Brings up another point. Not only should you be able to set up an open lobby with no tuning, an option should exist to limit it to controllers only and/or fixed views. The more options in the hands of players the better IMO.

The only real to life racing series that I am aware where NO adjustments were allowed is the long extinct IROC series where the single model cars were identically prepared totally by the racing org and no adjustments at all were allowed by individual teams and the cars were randomly assigned to the drivers to run the series.

Even in some of the tightest controlled real life racing series things like ride heights, spring rates (for most races) castor. camber, toe in, weight bias gear ratio's (in some classes even transmission ratio's for each gear) can be changed as long as the adjustments stay within the limits allowed by the class racing rules.

So non tuning lobbies would just be like running an IROC series only possibly allowing multiple brands or models of cars locked into the games base tuning specs. I am sure this classification there will be classes where a certain brand and model of car will dominate the grids as they may perform the best on a certain track layout.

The BoP concept lobby seems as if this is supposed to take away any particular brand or car model advantage regardless of the track ran within the same class rating of vehicles. As far as being a "drivers" and not a tuners or best car race this seems like the option to use when everyone wants to just race the car they like and have good fun with fewer influences from equipment used over just having a one model only with base settings race.

The open tuning lobby will allow all modifications as allowed by the class and different track layouts may favor the strengths of 1 brand or model while a different layout may favor something entirely different within the class. This will be the class of racing that will mostly mimic most real life racing as we know it as long as perimeters for adjustments are kept within class rules.

The biggest drawback to this class is probably one or two cars will dominate overall performance wise and where in the real world the teams are paid sponsor ship and Factory dollars and continue to campaign cars in the class that have no realistic chance of victory in the game it will probably quickly turn into 1 or 2 models of cars within a class filling the grids.

I hope all these options are allowed in the game as I am sure there will be ample racers and fans for each scenario.

One neat thing I did notice was that from the way I was reading it while in the demo looking at the car "upgrades" they are of an adjustable nature so buying and installing upgrades would not make a car ineligible for stock races as in the garage you could adjust it back to stock for a stock race and then adjust it back to full upgrades for a "unlimited" race.

I like that as in the older versions once you modded a car it was not legal for stock racing unless you sold all the upgrades at a big loss and then to reinstall you had to buy them all over again. Sort of forced a larger garage for the same cars in different states of tune.
Good point VFOURMAX1 and I agree. That option [to de-tune back to default or "as sold in the dealership" tune] in GTS is an excellent addition to the game and YES, does make having to purchase 5 to10 of our favorite cars just so we could compete in many, many different PP etc. races. We Geezers almost ALWAYS use "default tune" - OR - 1 Make (anther option we did not find in the demo or beta versions) cars for our club racing. As some have stated, let's hope we'll see these choices in the FULL Version we'll be seeing in just a few more hours.

Brings up another point. Not only should you be able to set up an open lobby with no tuning, an option should exist to limit it to controllers only and/or fixed views. The more options in the hands of players the better IMO.

Funny you should say that because I've often thought the same thing. I race cockpit view with a controller and kind of always wanted to get put up against other people who did the same.

The only real to life racing series that I am aware where NO adjustments were allowed is the long extinct IROC series where the single model cars were identically prepared totally by the racing org and no adjustments at all were allowed by individual teams and the cars were randomly assigned to the drivers to run the seri

I forgot about the old IROC series but your right no adjustments were allowed all cars were equal even down to tire pressure. I kinda miss watching that series now that you brought it up.

VBR
I wonder why some people have voted no! Why on earth wouldn't you want someone else to have an option that they might enjoy?

:confused:
Because they are voting only for the option they prefer rather than the possibility of more options. I don't think I've ever voted no for anything optonal.

Here's a nice kick in the man bag for those of us who would like to see a tuning prohibited option in the lobbies. There is such an option in sport mode. The option is called "settings" and it shows as "fixed" in the current Civic race at Brands Hatch.

The feature is already in the game. PD just didn't think to add it to lobbies. C'mon man!!!

Here's a nice kick in the man bag for those of us who would like to see a tuning prohibited option in the lobbies. There is such an option in sport mode. The option is called "settings" and it shows as "fixed" in the current Civic race at Brands Hatch.

The feature is already in the game. PD just didn't think to add it to lobbies. C'mon man!!!
I was thinking this yesterday if they have it in sport mode, to have fixed settings would think it would be simple to add, hopefully their aware the majority would like this option in lobby racing.

I was thinking this yesterday if they have it in sport mode, to have fixed settings would think it would be simple to add, hopefully their aware the majority would like this option in lobby racing.

Id personally like to see it in more sport mode races tbh. After all, not everyone has time to tune a car and then race etc with other commitments. And anyways, surely sport mode is to see who the beat racer is, not the best tuner. ;)

Take it one step further and have stock races (forces setups and no custom) with forced no assists too with a forced cam eg. Cockpit cam. That would be a challenge id happily take! Challenging and everyone would be on the same page. Best racer wins. Sport mode is supposed to be about racing surely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Id personally like to see it in more sport mode races tbh. After all, not everyone has time to tune a car and then race etc with other commitments. And anyways, surely sport mode is to see who the beat racer is, not the best tuner. ;)

Take it one step further and have stock races (forces setups and no custom) with forced no assists too with a forced cam eg. Cockpit cam. That would be a challenge id happily take! Challenging and everyone would be on the same page. Best racer wins. Sport mode is supposed to be about racing surely?
In my experience, tuning or no tuning, the same names are always at the top. The best players are the best players because they can adapt to any situation, any car, any track, any tune.

In my experience, tuning or no tuning, the same names are always at the top. The best players are the best players because they can adapt to any situation, any car, any track, any tune.

I agree with that, but I also like the idea of a lobby that I can flip that switch. Default car vs default car only great driving or mistakes deciding the race.

I agree with that, but I also like the idea of a lobby that I can flip that switch. Default car vs default car only great driving or mistakes deciding the race.
Of course, I think there is enough room in the game for all kinds of different race parameters. I just disagree with the notion that somehow the results will be different because there's tuning or no tuning. If anything, the opposite is true. Having tuning allows every driver to set up a car to tune around their shortcomings. To be truly fast with no tuning you have to be able to force the car to do what you want it to do, a skill that is usually reserved for the aliens among us.:sly:

I voted yes purely for containment purposes- I think the option should definitely exist for people that just want to pick up and play.

That said, I hope it doesn't become the norm. Unfortunately, I just realized that the official FIA races are also fixed setup events which absolutely perplexes me. These things are the supposed to be the premier events that showcase the best the game has to offer. Is it really too much to expect people to spend a few minutes getting a baseline setup for them?

I spend a lot of time before every event trying to make sure I can give others a good race while I'm out on track. I wish the game would do something to encourage more players to do the same.

Strange pool question. Option is always welcome of course.
When i first read i thought it was no tuning as only option. Anyway.
My opinion about tuning is that a good tune don t make the car faster by itself. It make the driver faster because he or she can explore the cars behaviors a better way.
For the pure performance bOp is doing almost a perfect job. Just some little things to correct now. For example they correct the GTR superiority and now the Beetle is emerging a bit above the rest.(Not everywhere perhaps and what a stupid looking car for this kind of performance)
If somebody don t want to waste his time putting on some tune i understand, PD just have to add a copy and paste option for tune too. wasn t it like this in GT5 ??? Or something in this way ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back