No Online for GTA:SA

• Thread starter Shannon
  • 27 comments
Rockstar creative director, Dan Houser, has put the final nail in the online coffin of GTA San Andreas, by claiming that "San Andreas will not be online."

It is not clear yet if GTA San Andreas, scheduled for release on PS2 sometime near the holiday season this year, will be released on other formats, although an XBox and possibly PC version of the game are likely to surface in 2005. It is unlikely however, that online play will feature on any version of the game since Mr. Houser suggests that the issues are not clearly technical but related to the story.
We have a lot of script writers working on GTA, and they use so many scenarios to build the story - it's impossible to do that in an online game, that problem has not been solved, he explains.

For the time being then, GTA will get no official online play since Rockstar believes that it would have an overall negative effect on the game experience. Fans of the genre will be begging for a PC version of the game since that may prompt some inventive people to create online mods, much like the Multi Theft Auto mod for Vice City. It is certain that Rockstar study those mods and make sure that they get the most out of the community's efforts. After all even Mr. Houser admits that GTA will eventually move online, we are thinking about it, but it's simply better to do the things we want to see in GTA in a single-player game. I'm not saying that online games aren't fun, but I do believe that online games are not yet ready for the immersive gameplay that GTA has to offer.

From MegaGames.

I wasn't and I agree with wat he said about "it would have an overall negative effect on the game experience." If you want multiplayer, download the mods for MultiTheftAuto, which they will almost certainly have for SA when it comes out on PC. GTA is a 1 player game. 2 player wouldn't be bad, but only with a link cable or something. Split screen GTA would annoy me.

Online games would be good but only if the platform can FULLY support all aspects of it.

The first GTA had online possibilities (on the pc that is) so what make them on the newer ones?

It counts very much nowadays if a game is playable online or not.

I for sure would like to have the possibility to play online on the PS2 or PC version. I've played GTA:VC online but it's not so nice as the usual traffic and people going around isn't there, just the player shooting at each others which I don't like that much. So an online game like it was in first GTA would be welcome.

Yea I agree, but what can you do? I think the GTA that will be on PS3 will be online. That's pretty much their only upgrade that they need on GTA that has been requested so much. Most others, if not all have been answered in San Andreas (this is requests that have been asked frequently). I believe they will return from this "well-earned holiday" and come back with some online play for GTA 4.

San-Andreas has answered so many requests but when we see San-Andreas we will think of thoings that weren't in there and ask for them so the Rockstar people won't just make the same game with multiplayer, they'll have to keep reinventing themselves otherwise they'll lose sales.

Of course, I'm not saying they've done everything, but it's the most requested thing AT THE MOMENT and has also been requested since GTA 3.

I couldn't really care less if it had multiplayer as GTA games have to be the best single player games ever IMO. Remember the hours we wasted with storylines on Vice:lol: and then the hours wasted on plane lunicy.

Yea, man GTA has consumed our lives ever since GTA 2, and you know what, I don't care :lol:! The storylines rule, and without 'em we'd definately get sick of the game. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SA!!

Sorry, we're GTA nerds lol.

^Exactly what he said. Some of the best times were spent with GTA...:lol:.

Btw, I do get out to parties n shtuff, I'm not a hermit lol.

mta...........mmmmm........

beware of the black suit gang!!!

About that, where can I find the list of servers for that? I can't connect to anything yet, and I want to...

Also, I consider myself a pretty good VC (and GTA III for that) player, anyone have an online group I can join?

Much appreciated.

Back