No sound in GT6

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simion
  • 43 comments
  • 17,856 views
Messages
13
Romania
Romania
Messages
cristina314
Hello, I bought my first playstation, a PS3 and it included 2 games :The last of us and GT6, The problem is that I have no sound in GT6(I am using the game from the DVD disk), I tried updating the game but the same issue. All my other games (the last of us,GTA v, red dead redemption,tomb raider 2013 have sound) also the Operating systems menu have sound so why is this game has issues with a new PS3, with a simple HDMI connection to a TV (no other audio systems connected) , it is annoying that an included game was not properly tested on the console it ships with.
Can anyone help me with this? Thank you! I hope this can be fixed
P.S
-the volume is not zero(is set to 90 or more)
-sound works in everything else
-the PS3 is connected with a HDMI cable to the TV, and no other audio systems are connected
-in the OS sound settings the HDMI setup is set to auto
 
Go to XMB sound settings (OS sound settings) and choose Audio Output settings - HDMI - manual.
Uncheck the format(s) that are incompatible with your TV (most likely DTS).

If you're only using TV speakers I'd recommend unchecking everything except for linear PCM 44.1 & 48 kHz (greyed out options).

And welcome to :gtpflag: and Gran Turismo 6.
 
Welcome on GTPlanet ... and GT6 ... it's a beauty!

About the testing:
you probably have an issue with your hardware(TV/amp) ... which is well described by @Vegard
don't blame PD .... (yet)

Both games are beautiful ... I hope you take the time for both, Enjoy!
 
Last edited:
Go to XMB sound settings (OS sound settings) and choose Audio Output settings - HDMI - manual.
Uncheck the format(s) that are incompatible with your TV (most likely DTS).

If you're only using TV speakers I'd recommend unchecking everything except for linear PCM 44.1 & 48 kHz (greyed out options).

And welcome to :gtpflag: and Gran Turismo 6.

Thanks for your response. I disabled the pother option like you suggested(Dolbys somethingt ) and that output was the one in the game sound options, current audio output setting . Now after removing that the value for current output is changed to Linear PCM 2 ch 48KHz but stil no sound, also I can't change this option in game to test every output chanel to see which one is working. I tested other game and sound is working fine there, should I disable the 48 KHz and keep only 44.1 one? Is it normal that you can't change the current output channel in game?
 
Thanks for your response. I disabled the pother option like you suggested(Dolbys somethingt ) and that output was the one in the game sound options, current audio output setting . Now after removing that the value for current output is changed to Linear PCM 2 ch 48KHz but stil no sound, also I can't change this option in game to test every output chanel to see which one is working. I tested other game and sound is working fine there, should I disable the 48 KHz and keep only 44.1 one? Is it normal that you can't change the current output channel in game?
That's really strange.
I have two PS3's (FAT & SLIM) running and recently played GT6 on both. both setup's with HDMI.
And didn't have to adjust any audio settings.

Maybe this helps? or even this one?
 
That's really strange.
I have two PS3's (FAT & SLIM) running and recently played GT6 on both. both setup's with HDMI.
And didn't have to adjust any audio settings.
Thank you for your replay, I will need to do some research since I am a noob, all the other games work so this is confusing me, can you please give me some instructions or links with things I need to read?
My TV is a Philips, it has 2 HDMI ports(I will search around to find exactly the model number to find the exact specifications).
I noticed when switching from HDMI1 (where the TV reciver was off) to HDMI2 where the game was running I get a short sound/noise
 
There is a setting inside the game settings that allow you to choose your environment. Make sure you choose 2 speakers, not surround. In the PS3 settings, just set the sound on HDMI to auto, it's definitely an issue with your tv and not the game and PS3. I switch between optical out and HDMI sound all the time depending on time of day.
 
Thank you for your replay, I will need to do some research since I am a noob, all the other games work so this is confusing me, can you please give me some instructions or links with things I need to read?
My TV is a Philips, it has 2 HDMI ports(I will search around to find exactly the model number to find the exact specifications).
I noticed when switching from HDMI1 (where the TV reciver was off) to HDMI2 where the game was running I get a short sound/noise
I included two links in the post above ...
This sure sounds like sound recognition problem, you don't have an optical cable connected do you?

That's a good one too by @DeifieD the "livingroom" option
 
There is a setting inside the game settings that allow you to choose your environment. Make sure you choose 2 speakers, not surround. In the PS3 settings, just set the sound on HDMI to auto, it's definitely an issue with your tv and not the game and PS3. I switch between optical out and HDMI sound all the time depending on time of day.
He's getting sound from the XMB and other games so it's not a TV setting issue (he just tried linear stereo bitstream).

Thank you for your replay, I will need to do some research since I am a noob, all the other games work so this is confusing me, can you please give me some instructions or links with things I need to read?
My TV is a Philips, it has 2 HDMI ports(I will search around to find exactly the model number to find the exact specifications).
I noticed when switching from HDMI1 (where the TV reciver was off) to HDMI2 where the game was running I get a short sound/noise
Try deleting game data and save data (if you haven't started the game yet). It has to be a software problem as I see it.
 
He's getting sound from the XMB and other games so it's not a TV setting issue
Correct me if I'm wrong, XMB menu doesn't output in surround or DTS, so it's possible to hear the menu, but when the game loads, not hear the sound. GT6 outputs at DTS on my setup, even if my XMB is set to Linear. You actually need to change the environment inside the game settings.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, XMB menu doesn't output in surround or DTS, so it's possible to hear the menu, but when the game loads, not hear the sound. GT6 outputs at DTS on my setup, even if my XMB is set to Linear. You actually need to change the environment inside the game settings.
He just tried with linear stereo bitstream and it didn't solve the issue - not signal incompatibility.
 
He just tried with linear stereo bitstream and it didn't solve the issue - not signal incompatibility.
My money is still on sound incompatibility, the in game setting to be specific.
 
My money is still on sound incompatibility, the in game setting to be specific.
I'll take that bet.

Now, read all posts in this thread and give me your money :D
 
Unless you're there holding the OP's hand, there is a chance he's doing something wrong. If you are there holding his hand, just fix his problem. I don't care if I'm right or wrong, I just want the OP to have sound, so I'm giving him ideas on what to look for.
 
He's getting sound from the XMB and other games so it's not a TV setting issue (he just tried linear stereo bitstream).


Try deleting game data and save data (if you haven't started the game yet). It has to be a software problem as I see it.
I deleted the game data , the game still has no sound, the output is still setup to Linear, the only sound option I can change in game is from Living room to small or large theatre.
The response on this forum is impressive,this is a great comunity.
I currently have only the HDMI connected to the PS3, is it possible to use the cable that cammed with the PS3 and use that for sound only and the HDMI for video? or this will just make stuff even more complex and I could break all the other games?

I deleted all the data,I will do the update during the night(but I do not have much hope that the game update will fix it since it did not work before)

I included two links in the post above ...
This sure sounds like sound recognition problem, you don't have an optical cable connected do you?

That's a good one too by @DeifieD the "livingroom" option
I do not have other cables connected in the PS3,only the HDMI into TV, the TV is also connected with other HDMI to the satelite cable HD reciver. I have the cable that came with this PS3 ,(the one with many colored jacks but I did not used it because is not outputing HD video.
Thank you for your reply.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I deleted the game data , the game still has no sound, the output is still setup to Linear, the only sound option I can change in game is from Living room to small or large theatre.
The response on this forum is impressive,this is a great comunity.
I currently have only the HDMI connected to the PS3, is it possible to use the cable that cammed with the PS3 and use that for sound only and the HDMI for video? or this will just make stuff even more complex and I could break all the other games?

I deleted all the data,I will do the update during the night(but I do not have much hope that the game update will fix it since it did not work before)
Yes you can run the sound seperately trough the multi-out or optical (you have to enable it in the OS audio menu), but I really think it's a software issue.
Download all the updates and you should be OK (both the OS updates - 1.06, and the in-game mini updates).


Unless you're there holding the OP's hand, there is a chance he's doing something wrong. If you are there holding his hand, just fix his problem. I don't care if I'm right or wrong, I just want the OP to have sound, so I'm giving him ideas on what to look for.
You and me both, and changing audio output was my initial suggestion...
 
@Simion try re-enabling all the audio options for the HDMI in the XMB menu, then load the game and see if you can change the sound settings in the game.
 
Try another HDMI cable or if that doesn't work buy a new HDMI cable. That sounds like a faulty HDMI cable.
 
Try another HDMI cable or if that doesn't work buy a new HDMI cable. That sounds like a faulty HDMI cable.
Why it sounds like a bad cable? It works in other games ? I am not disagreeing just want to know why do you think this is the issue. I will try to switch the cable with the one from the Tv cable reciver and see if are compatible and if it works.
 
image.jpg
image.jpg
Set the HDMI settings on the PS3 back to auto please. The fact you can't access these menus is a sign something is set up wrong.

Almost all tv's are able to convert 5.1 sound to 2 channel. As a matter of fact, if you use your tv's optical sound out, it's usually 2ch because the tv's strip the rest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 138653 View attachment 138652 Set the HDMI settings on the PS3 back to auto please. The fact you can't access these menus is a sign something is set up wrong.
Thanks for the reply, but I see in the image that you also can't edit the current output settings, I can edit the living rom dropdown but the last one I can't change it(maybe because my TV is not a surround
 
Thanks for the reply, but I see in the image that you also can't edit the current output settings, I can edit the living rom dropdown but the last one I can't change it(maybe because my TV is not a surround
No tv is surround, tv's usually have 2 speakers so they can't be surround. The output displayed is the output you selected in the PS3 settings, so don't disable any settings. Did you reset the audio settings back to auto?
 
No tv is surround, tv's usually have 2 speakers so they can't be surround. The output displayed is the output you selected in the PS3 settings, so don't disable any settings. Did you reset the audio settings back to auto?
I am doing the update to the game now, I will post back after update is done. Thank you again for your time.
 
Don't get your hopes up, I don't think the update will fix your problem. I would enable every mode in the HDMI settings in your ps3 settings, and then shut down and restart the ps3. If all else fails, an optical cable is around $10, and should be able to fix all your sound issues. Your tv just might be having troubles with gt6 audio formats through HDMI.
 
Last edited:
No tv is surround, tv's usually have 2 speakers so they can't be surround. The output displayed is the output you selected in the PS3 settings, so don't disable any settings. Did you reset the audio settings back to auto?
The update is done, no sound yet(the current sound output in game is set to Linear 2 chanels) , I tried setting in XMB the HDMI sound to auto but the in game output is still Linear, anyway before today it was set to auto and it used the Dolbys 5.1 and it did not worked with that either. So it seems the game won't autodetect the settings only if I delete the data(and ths means I am losing the game update). Thanks for your help, I am thinking now to find a way to connect some headphones or some speacker directly in the PS3 to get sound for this game.
 
That won't work. Try setting the HDMI to manual and enabling all possible formats, restart ps3, load game, and see what sound options are available in the in game sound menu.

If all else fails, try restoring your PS3 to factory defaults (you will lose all your game data so back it up to USB if you want). Or go to an electronics store and buy an optical cable. Your no sound issue is very weird, I'm still blaming your tv, go through its settings too and make sure that there isn't a setting in there screwing things up.

What's the model number of your Phillips tv?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DeifieD Try to edit your post instead of double and triple posting. Thanks.
 
Just a quick question, I am no sound tech....Simion, have you tried headphones hooked to the tv? Y'all take it from however he answers:cheers:
 
Back