NOMINATIONS: 2016 F1 Driver of the year

• Thread starter mustafur
  • 30 comments
Australia
Western Sydney
mustafur
Rules

Nominate Four Drivers with a photo to match each.
Don't clog up the page with lots and lots of videos; links to videos are fine.
You can change your post and your nominations right up until the closing date.

Provide any supplementary information you wish, but don't give us an 8 page essay.

The top four cars with the most nominations will go through for polling next week.

Eligibility

Drivers which competed in World Championship events during the 2016 Formula One Season.

Nominations close Monday 0:00AM(AEDST) December 5th, 2016

Last edited:
  1. Danno Ricciardo - For speed and a positive attitude and promoting Australian Culture
  2. Max Verstappen - I know he is getting old, but I think he has a few years left in F1
  3. Nic O' Hulkenburg - Rock solid all season. Hardly on the TV, but helped Orcendia do very well this season.
  4. Nic O' Rosberg - Did okay this season, beat some English guy.

1. Max Verstappen - From TR to RBR, what a year this has been for him.
2. Romain Grosjean - Did a great job with a not so great car
3. Fernando Alonso - Did a great job with a not so great car
4. Nico Rosberg - Well he did win the championship after all...

1. Max Verstappen - What a year. Truly a future WDC.
2. Daniel Ricciardo - Again an amazing year and I would tip him for a championship too.
3. Carlos Sainz - Again an amazing driver. Needs a top drive some time soon.
4. Sergio Perez - Pretty solid season from him.

1. Daniel Ricciardo - The most talented and best overtaker in F1 (so aggressive but fairer than his teammate - and less contact)
2. Sergio Perez - He is far from being a paydriver, whenever there was a sniff off an outsider shock it was always Perez there, for a while he made Hulkenberg look very average.
3. Pascal Wehrlein - Driving for a small team makes it hard to be noticed, escaping Q1 so many times and scoring points on pace eclipses anything any Manor driver has done before, including Jules Bianchi
4. Fernando Alonso - He outscored Felipe Massa's Williams in a McLaren, what more needs to be said.

1. Verstappen- actually wants to race, took the step up from TR to RB without batting an eyelid. Future world champion for sure.
2. Alonso- Has been making the McLaren do things it shouldn't be able to do.
3. Wehrlein- Previously the Manor was struggling to stay within the 107% rule. Wehrlein somehow has dragged his car into Q2 on a few occasions now.
4.Rosberg- Has fought hard all season with Hamilton and got his reward. Whether Mercedes favoured him or not, he still had to do the job on the track.

Special mention
Palmer- Despite being ridiculed for not being good enough, he's gotten better throughout the season. Not a world beater, but could become a solid mid pack or no.2 driver. As pay drivers go, he's a lot better than the likes of Petrov or Maldonado.

Number 1: Max Verstappen, what a showing of talent, even if his petulance got the better of him sometimes.

Numbers 2 and 3: Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg, for me the standout midfield runners, both had some great drives to deliver FI's best constructors result.

Number Controversial: Lewis Hamilton. Yep, my view of his season is he had enough good performances not only to comfortably make up for his race-start errors, but go further and almost compensate for something beyond his control - his rotten luck with reliability. For me he was definitely the fastest man in the fastest car this year - that doesn't always give you a championship, but it does give him my nomination. And probably give me a swift beating from GTP residents. :D

Special mention
Palmer- Despite being ridiculed for not being good enough, he's gotten better throughout the season. Not a world beater, but could become a solid mid pack or no.2 driver. As pay drivers go, he's a lot better than the likes of Petrov or Maldonado.

Just a reminder, Maldonado is a grand prix winner, Petrov scored a podium. Palmer has a single 10th place.

Just a reminder, Maldonado is a grand prix winner, Petrov scored a podium. Palmer has a single 10th place.

I didn't forget!
Maldonado was downright dangerous, I wouldn't want to be on a normal road with him, let alone a racetrack .
Petrov had flashes of brilliance, but mostly he was a moving chicane.

Son of the 1990 and 1992 World Rally Champion
Son of the guy who's car caught fire at Hockenheim in 1994
That Mexican bloke who (quite rightly) got rid of some Sunglasses
Roly Poly at the Cheeky 'nando's

1. Verstappen
2. Rosberg
3. Alonso
4. Grosjean

ninjaedit: Honorable mention to Ricciardo. He's just so likable!

Last edited:
Rosberg - Rose to the occasion in fine style
Alonso - More magic in mediocre machinery
Verstappen - A breakthrough year, definitely a future champ
Grosjean - Lovely to see a debuting team do so well

Nice to see that description template getting further use. ;)

My four canidates are;
Fernando Alonso - further proved he is one of the modern day greats by putting on some outstanding performances, especially on the first lap of the Grand Prix, passing more cars than anyone else in the entire season combined.

Daniel Ricciardo - Again proved his worth in a car not quite up to scratch. Was definitely pushed along by his teammate Verstappen to better himself.

Max Verstappen
- burst onto the scene quite impressively picking up his first win and breaking a bunch of records in the process. Provided us with some amazing racing and had us in awe of his car control.

Stoffel Vandoorne - I know, I know. He did one race and that hardly qualifies him for DotY, but he undoubtedly proved that he is an absolute talent in a car, likely more of one than Verstappen in equal machinery. Scored points on debut (and his only race so till next year) at Bahrain in place of an injured Alonso, scoring McLaren-Honda their first points for the season.

Some Honourable Mentions:
Pascal Wehrlein
Jenson Button
Kimi Raikkonen

Nico Rosberg - For consistency and taking the opportunity when able to. (Plus pisses idiotic Hamilton fans off) (I am a Hamilton fan)
Fernando Alonso - For tolerating mid field mediocrity at Mclaren and proving he can still mix it with the front despite not being able to be there.
Max Verstappen - For his age, he's not bad. He's got a few years left. Won his first race after many missed opportunities. (Joke)
Pascal Wehrlein - Manor in the points in Austria and almost clinching 10th in the constructors if Nasr at Brazil didn't happen.

Honourable Mentions:
Ericsson - Surprised nobody points his clear improvement. Near the top 10 at various races. E.g. USA
Palmer - Despite mistakes he's proving he's not as bad as other pay drivers.
Perez - Multiple podiums in difficult conditions getting Force India 4th in the constructors

Daniel Ricciardo: For all the Schoeys. And for being the absolutely nicest bloke to ever force other drivers to partake of his foot fungi on the podium.

Max Verstappen: For being a total douchebag while defending corner entry dives. And for being the first driver since Hamilton to single-handedly inspire a rule "clarification". (Oh, and for that wonderful rain drive that single-handedly salvaged that long, boring red flagged race at Brazil)

Sebastian Vettel: For ensuring that we would never fall asleep in any race where he found himself behind a backmarker. And for his part in giving us the first ever five-man podium of the modern era.

and:

Nico Rosberg: Because, hell, he deserves it.

1. Nico Rosberg. Did what he needed to do in a quiet brilliant way and became World Champion.
2. Max Verstappen. What a season for the young lad. That driving in the wet in Brazil was Senna esq.
3. Daniel Ricciardo. Top Bloke. Shoed in for some award for being brilliant.
4. Seb Vettel. Knew he hadn't got the car under him yet always gave it the beans and I love his radio messages around blue flag time.

Lewis Hamilton Oh hang on...........pfft ha ha ha Sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited:
1. Hamilton - The God Apollo's greatest gift to motor racing. So good, other drivers, whole teams, become his playthings.
2. Daniil Kvyat - He kept his job, proof of miracles.
3. Felipe Massa - Out drove Bottas. Nuff said.
4. Sergio Perez - Quietly impressive. I want him on my team.

1.Rosberg- I'm not a big fan but he got the job done when needed.
2.Riccardo- Impressive year with a team that cant find the tires and is busy changing the other drivers diapers.
3.Alonso- 2 top 5's with a GP2 engine.👍
4.Grosjean. Scored points in 5 races with a brand new team while complaining the entire time.

Rosberg- The man won the championship... What more could you ask him to do?
Alonso- Continuously shows that he can score points in a car that shouldn't
Ricciardo- Strongest driver of the year for me. Just got the job done when he was supposed to
Sainz- Just like Alonso, took a midfield car well above where it should be even at the tail end of the season when it's year old engine really kicked in. Some big team needs to sign him now.

Last edited:
1. Verstappen - Consistently out performed Ricciardo in identical equipment, didn't flap when he led, punched above his weigh though. Definite future champ.
2. Hamilton - Controversial choice, but he was so massively fast when he didn't have bad luck that he was able to continue to be a championship contender despite his woes.
3. Werhlein - Much quicker than his equipment should have made him, well performed.
4. Rosberg - Going to be driver of the year anyway, but for me not quite the best driver. Kept his cool and head clear, didn't flap under pressure, and his approach of one race at a time makes him a worthy champion for sure, but his inability to overtake cars of similar performance marks him as lower down the list than the others.

1. Hamilton - The God Apollo's greatest gift to motor racing. So good, other drivers, whole teams, become his playthings.
2. Daniil Kvyat - He kept his job, proof of miracles.
3. Felipe Massa - Out drove Bottas. Nuff said.
4. Sergio Perez - Quietly impressive. I want him on my team.

I'm taking things more seriously now and changing my vote:
Hamilton - Certified genius driver, the best, but now with weaknesses exposed
Rosberg - Pragmatic - he found a way to beat Lewis, and hewed to it. His lap 20 pass on Verstappen was instructive.
Verstappen - Obviously the greatest new talent since Vettel, which is not saying much to go by the current year. Fast in the wet.
Ricciardo - Points matter, and he certainly delivered them.

Maldonado
xMattyG
Haryanto
George Michael

(just kidding!) :P

Actually, I would think my nominations would be:

Vettel
Verstappen
Rosberg
Ricciardo

Rosberg: Scored more points than everyone else this year.
Verstappen: Made the most of his opportunity with RBR. This kid's got a future.
Perez: Drug a Force India onto the podium. Twice.
Alonso: His ability to bring points out of nothing has never been so well-displayed.

Rosberg...World Champion within Hamilton's team
Kimi...dont know the exact results, but he seemed to prove better than his teammate
Verstappen...proved he belongs in F1
Alonso...who knows how good or bad the cars is versus how good Alonso probably made it look

Alonso: He was beating Williams more often then not in the 2nd half of the season and that car had no place to be there

Ricciardo: Started the Season off incredibly well got gifted a raw hand in the few races when Verstappen joined the team but managed to bounce back after a few tough races and held a supreme qualifying advantage and was a point scoring machine.

Verstappen: Last year I wasn't fully convinced of his talent given how much luck he had compared to his team mate last year, but this year he showed he will be right up there for the years to come, if Redbull has a fast car next year I think this team battle will quite possibly be the most feirce in history.

Perez: His form was exceptional, Azerbaijan has to be the highlight, more often then not the car that was leading of the mid field pack behind Ferrari.

Latest Posts

Back