Nooby drifting questions...

• Thread starter Higgins909
  • 8 comments
United States
United States
I have yet to understand how to keep/gain speed through a drift. (I think my drifts are slow)
Then there are times it feels like its going into a good drift, but the rear end decides it still wants to go straight, instead of drift. Lets see how to make that sound better...
Tsukuba track, the biggest corner, get some speed on the straight, your front end goes to the curby bit, your rear end follows for a split second, only to keep going straight, and take the front end with it, ripping it from the curb.

First things first, make sure TCS/ASM/SRF are all off (needs setting on every car as there are no global settings) 👍

Next thing that could be causing it is running too much Toe In on either end of the car (try 0.00 at the front and <0.20 at the rear)

Camber can also cause a similar issue so try reducing that back to 0.00 at both ends

Tyres could be too grippy in comparison to the power you are producing, Comfort Hards are generally the go-to tyre for drifting

These would be the first places I'd look on a RWD car, if it was a 4WD I'd probably look at the TDCD/LSD and make sure that the rear end was receiving the most power and that the front differential was set to be fairly open 👍

Yeah, take all aids off, besides ABS if you want, and slap on some CH.

It will probably look slow, but it's because this game has a bad sense of speed, no hollywood effects to make it seem like you're actually going that fast.

I would suggest Suzuka S-turns to practice, just go up and down the hill until you feel confident that you can keep your drift all the way and not go off track. Only then should you step it up to Tsukuba, because that's a more technical track with a wide range of corners.

Also, if you want to learn how to tune a drift car, go here. READ IT WELL!

Sorta off topic but how fast are you guys going entering and mid drift through medium to large corners?

Really depends on the specific corner and type of entry, but just start slow and keep increasing by 5mph each time, you'll get the idea pretty damn quick if your style is somewhat consistent!

;) 👍

Transmission is really important in drifting, especially to induce drifts. Make sure your 3rd and 4th gears are set up to kick in at really high rpm to induce wheelspin. 3rd and 4th is key.

Set the final so 3rd and 4th cover the speeds at which you like to drift. The other gears don't really matter so you can sacrifice them to make 3rd and 4th spin inducing, even with a fairly wide final gear ratio. Muscle cars are different however as they prefer low-mid range rpm.

Transmission tuning might look confusing but its really easy once you learn.

Most people don't realise how important a dialed-in suspension setup is for drifting and tandems. You don't even need a transmission tune if you have a proper suspension.... that in itself speaks highly about tuning. Some days I just pick a car add an LSD, minimal power and weight mods and a FC Suspension on Comfort Hards. That's my entire upgrade list. Oh and if you're wondering how effective a decent tune really is.. With half day's worth of tuning I can pull 20,000+ points on Tsuku all without breaking the bank on power mods.

Last edited:
Sorta off topic but how fast are you guys going entering and mid drift through medium to large corners?
Grand Valley, turn 1, about 130-140mph :cool: Naw, it's like Streeto said, it varies from corner to corner. I'm actually really bad at paying attention to my speedo, I just go by feel :lol:

Transmission is really important in drifting, especially to induce drifts. Make sure your 3rd and 4th gears are set up to kick in at really high rpm to induce wheelspin. 3rd and 4th is key.

Set the final so 3rd and 4th cover the speeds at which you like to drift. The other gears don't really matter so you can sacrifice them to make 3rd and 4th spin inducing, even with a fairly wide final gear ratio. Muscle cars are different however as they prefer low-mid range rpm.

Transmission tuning might look confusing but its really easy once you learn.
I agree that transmission tuning is very important, but disagree that "it's all about 3 & 4". It really depends how the car is built, and on dricer style. Input method (DS3 vs wheel) makes a huge difference as well. Cars with lots of torque, and/or cars that have wide power band can get away with using fewer gears, like you suggest - that said, it doesn't always need to be 3 and 4. I know some people who drift Corvettes at Suzuka and pretty much use 5 and 6 exclusively. On the other hand, I also know people who drift ISFs and M5s, and at the old D1 section at Tsukuba, they use all 7 gears available (5 or even 6 through the esses, down to 1 to help trail brake the car into the hairpin, 3/4 through the apex, then back up to 7 for the short straight before going back to 3/4/5 for the final right hander under the bridge).

People who use a wheel (and especially with the transmission issues related to wheels in GT6) tend to be able to use fewer gears, as they have more dexterity in feathering the throttle.

People who use controllers can get away with using more gears. A trick I learned a long time ago is to build very close ratio transmissions, and to use the transmission to actually help steer the car on entry and apex, and then use rapid upshifts to help control wheelspin to maximize acceleration out of the corner.

Most people don't realise how important a dialed-in suspension setup is for drifting and tandems. You don't even need a transmission tune if you have a proper suspension.... that in itself speaks highly about tuning. Some days I just pick a car add an LSD, minimal power and weight mods and a FC Suspension on Comfort Hards. That's my entire upgrade list. Oh and if you're wondering how effective a decent tune really is.. With half day's worth of tuning I can pull 20,000+ points on Tsuku all without breaking the bank on power mods.
I don't disagree with you at all, but just to point out, the same can be said vice versa, in refernce to the bold text. A car with a properly set up transmission and diff can get away with little to no suspension and power mods, the same way a properly set up suspension can get away with no transmission tuning. Obviously, to get the maximum out of the car, all aspects of tuning need to be considered.

I don't disagree with you at all, but just to point out, the same can be said vice versa, in refernce to the bold text. A car with a properly set up transmission and diff can get away with little to no suspension and power mods, the same way a properly set up suspension can get away with no transmission tuning. Obviously, to get the maximum out of the car, all aspects of tuning need to be considered.
I'd like to argue that point. I would say Suspension is more important overall than transmission to majority of cars. You can get a car to accelerate and spin it's tyres easily, but if it still understeers mid turn, how will you drift? With a deathly smooth setup suspension and no transmission I look at it like this.
I don't have low or even mid end torque? Not a problem I'll throw that thing 100mph into the final corner at Tsuku and still drift. Alternatively if A million suspension adjustments later don't work, which isn't the case for anything Rear Wheel Drive... I can just put harder tyres on the rear and re-tune the suspension another million ways.. which has worked for an unbelievable amount of under 400p cars. I don't think I can say the same with just a transmission tune, I ain't ruling it out either.

Back