Normal vs. Sim steering?

Simulation steering does not behave the way I would operate the wheel myself. My driving style is smoother and more precise,
I don't think anyone operates the wheel as erratic as simulation steering seems to show.

Unless you're willing to restrain it by wiggling the joystick itty bitty bits, like Speedster911 prefers to do. No other game asks me to do that, so I'm not super inclined to alter the playstyle I've used for more than 15 years. I'd rather just go play Enthusia, which is even slower than Normal steering, yet can be more (legitimately) challenging than Simulation steering.

Regardless if it takes more skill or control or whatever you think it needs, its exactly as he labeled it. Its not anymore realistic, infact its unrealistic. Maybe it work's better with wheels, but with a pad its useless.

Next time, if you're looking for information, to start out the post with that. Calling someone out isnt the most effective way to look for an answer for something you're wondering.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it unrealistic. It just forces you to respond faster, with ever more precise inputs. Takes getting used to for sure. Though FH does mention in the menu how sim steering is better for the wheel. Who knows, maybe on a controller, normal is better. SIM does makes the driving immensely challenging, with slightly better response. Only slightly.

The bottom line is, if I was playing with a wheel (like I do for PC sims), Simulation steering does not behave the way I would operate the wheel myself. My driving style is smoother and more precise, and I have years of experience with RWD; for oversteer I allow the front wheels to mostly countersteer themselves, which resembles the measured response of Normal steering.

Simulation steering is as "skillful" as setting the left trigger deadzone to lock up the brakes if you apply 10% of the range. More difficult, certainly, but it doesn't mean anything beyond a matter of preference. If you prefer Simultion steering, go ahead and enjoy it.

There was an update for the game which corrected ridiculously fast countersteering for wheel users; the wheel would steer 900 degs.. but countersteering would be mapped to 270 degs. Have you applied the update, and do you have the latest firmware for your wheel? These two might help.

I must admit though, there are times I've enjoyed normal more and generally made more sense to me: countersteering felt so natural and sliding cars out of turns or countering over-corrections, was a breeze.

Unless you're willing to restrain it by wiggling the joystick itty bitty bits, like Speedster911 prefers to do. No other game asks me to do that, so I'm not super inclined to alter the playstyle I've used for more than 15 years. I'd rather just go play Enthusia, which is even slower than Normal steering, yet can be more (legitimately) challenging than Simulation steering.

Itty bitty bits:lol:, exactly! Takes getting used to but worth it. As a result, the steering in other games can seem slow and a bit unresponsive. Eekh.. sim steering spoils you. :irked:

Can't believe I never got to play Enthusia back in the PS2 days. Must have been too occupied with GT.. never even heard of it at the time!

To conclude things - I can't really say which is better since I don't play FM4 with a wheel. On a controller, I'm used to both, but it's hard to decide which one I prefer more. SIM seems to have more effect on the front wheels relative to the road surface. I think at the end of the day they are simply two different models of steering: do you prefer the steering to be smooth and controlled (normal) or do you want instant response with more unforgiving outputs (sim)?

Have you applied the update, and do you have the latest firmware for your wheel? These two might help.
My Logitech G25 is not compatible; I never play console games with a wheel.
I think at the end of the day they are simply two different models of steering: do you prefer the steering to be smooth and controlled (normal) or do you want instant response with more unforgiving outputs (sim)?
👍

Back