Not a SIM

• Thread starter Tool1312
  • 380 comments
Looks bad, the UI is bad and the career mode is for kids, barely a successor to NFS shift.

Threatened with a ban from PCars discord

So I saved them the trouble, and left.

I trust Jimmer's opinion and can also make my mind up for myself.

Considering one of Jimmy's best immersive experience was Daytona Road in PCars 2 and the version in 3 is bland and looks worse is a telling comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of what we already expected based on info given and previous gameplay videos. Will pass on this for sure but curious what a guy like Yorkie who's a sim guy and who was contractually obligated to record PC2 content (up until a few months ago) thinks of PC3.

This thread 👎 without even playing the game.

I think some have forgotten that they're all games and not reality! Some do imitate better than others and that's Project CARS for me.

I haven't played 3, I will probably be able to give an opinion after several hours of gameplay. Not basing my opinion on a YouTube gamer.

I'm not bothered that it's not a sim as I have plenty of options to satiate that need (#PCMasterRace :P). If it manages to hold me over until the next Forza releases I will be more than pleased and really so long as the handling is good and the Rivals events are interesting it should have no problem doing that.

Just skimmed through the first video, only thing that did stand out was that the 333SP did lose of its aggressive, lower-end growl (chat was saying it sounded like the higher-pitched 787B). That is a bit concerning, as so far, I've liked all the car sounds in PC2.

Will wait to see how this forum reacts to it, though.

This makes me even more excited! I loved the shift series and pcars 2 just didn’t do it for me....something just felt off. Either way they got my money for all 3 games and dlc. (Pcars series)

When PCARS 2 came out, even with some rough edges I was so thankful to have a more dedicated sim with AAA quality on console. It gave me hope. I'm happy for the Shift fans but PCARS 3 turned out worst than I thought. Arcade mechanics aside, what have they been doing all this time other than deleting content and designing a horrendous UI. Seriously.

Between what they've done with Project Cars 3, ACC and the lack of any real next gen content launching with the new machines I've finally been pushed to build a PC.

This makes me even more excited! I loved the shift series and pcars 2 just didn’t do it for me....something just felt off. Either way they got my money for all 3 games and dlc. (Pcars series)

I've always maintained that a Shift game with Gran Turismo/Forza level physics would be amazing. Looks like it finally happened. Me happy. :)

I won't be buying it straight away because I'm still busy with F1 2020, but I imagine I'll pick it up within the next six months.

I think its an insult to not only us fans but to thier own company to call this game Project Cars 3. Im watching gameplay and i see no association at all to PC1 and 2. This is like a mix of GRID, NFS SHIFT, and Project Gotham.

The physics are based on previous Project Cars titles.

The unanimous verdict from the people who have played it is while they are based on them, they have unfortunately been dumbed down. I was really hoping this wouldn’t be the case and was fighting the cause up until yesterday before the truth started to finally out.

I said In another forum that I don’t mind the direction and whatnot, I mind being lied to.

I full agree with Jimmy, and it's been something I kept saying - this should not have been called Project CARS 3.

During early stages of development, you'll remember it was called Project CARS: Revolution.

For christ sake it was written on the MadBox if anyone remembers that flop console.

Now I see it was very apparent from the very start it was not going to be the successor to Project CARS 2, but rather "the spiritual successor to Shift" as Ian Bell himself said.

Calling it "3" is just leeching off the sim-focused predecessors in an attempt to maximize sales counts, which is a scummy move.

It should have been called Revolution. We should have been told much earlier on that it was going to be different. Back when Ian said "It's already 200% better than Project CARS 2" it was either before they changed their mind, or he was lying just to get us hyped up.

I also watched Kuru stream it, and am happy to see he was having a blast with it on a controller. That's the thing, it is fun to drive, but it's not Project CARS 3, it's Project Horizon. At times it looks like DriveClub, and while that's not a bad thing per se, it's not a sim. The only thing that's "sim" about it is the physics, to an extent. Everything else is an arcade racer, aimed at a younger audience.

I sound like a broken record at this point but I stand by what I said - it's not Project CARS 3.

It is whatever they want to call it...
They repeatedly said the emphasis was on "fun".
As for the sim part (i might sound like a broken record), that's subjective to everyone's personal opinion of what a sim is in their eyes.

"All the sim you could want". All, that covers driving, motorsport and everything with that. All.

Sorry, but it isn’t at all. It is subjective up to a point, but when statements like that get thrown around, the bar gets set, when we get told the same physics we love from pCars 2 are still there, and they're not, when the motorsport simulation aspects get cut, when the car classes get mashed up beyond the point of reason, when we the consumers get lied to about what this game is, the subjectivity goes out of the window.

I'm sure the game is fun, it looks fun, but it absolutely isn't what was promised, and that is where the subjectiveness of how sim it is goes out the window because we were promised a certain level of simulation that hasn't been delivered.

We can't even just race touring cars ffs. The one series that doesn't have mandatory pitstops in the BTCC and it cant even be recreated in a custom race.

Is it just me or does that car interior around 19:20 on the first video really look that bad?

EDIT: haha just watched a bit more and seems he didn't turn the detail up in the settings

As for the sim part (i might sound like a broken record), that's subjective to everyone's personal opinion of what a sim is in their eyes.

Fairly speaking, is more subjective 'fun' than 'sim'.

We can't even just race touring cars ffs. The one series that doesn't have mandatory pitstops in the BTCC and it cant even be recreated in a custom race.
And it's not like they don't pit as well. Silverstone Race 3where Jack Goff won was an example of that and they've had it in previous iterations of the series so a different BTCC format could be used.

And it's not like they don't pit as well. Silverstone Race 3where Jack Goff won was an example of that and they've had it in previous iterations of the series so a different BTCC format could be used.

Thats not even my primary concern. You're right though, Plato has done it a few times as well.

My main concern is theres a great selection of touring cars and we cant race them. :lol:

Thats not even my primary concern. You're right though, Plato has done it a few times as well.

My main concern is theres a great selection of touring cars and we cant race them. :lol:
I'd say the Touring Car variety is a bit weak. There are a ton of real-life TCR cars and they've appeared in games already with the Audi RS3 and the Volkswagen Golf in Grid with the Audi in a few others as well.

Yes. However, when you call it a Project CARS game, you tell the user that it's continuing the same philosophy from the previous game and that's Community Assisted Racing Simulation. Even though the first part of that had been reduced, the roots came from the community so it would still stand. Removing basic features that racing series are based on far removes that as well. The community will be annoyed when you removed features from a game.

For example, having the licensed IndyCar grid means nothing about simulating the Indy 500 if the maximum laps you can do is 99. I've done full Indy 500s with Elite Racing League on PCARS2 who moved to iRacing a while ago and had a ton of real-life IndyCar drivers in their races. I did an Indy 250 with a different league a few weeks ago. I've done races at Texas over 100 laps. And that's before we go into the lack of pitlane, tyre wear and fuel usage. If something as basic as that can't be done, then we're a long way away from the second PCARS in any way.

That's why people are insulted about this being a sequel. I couldn't care less about the "whatever they want to call it." It's about marketing line. If they said that "We have a new IP tailored to be a more fun title more akin to a Grid/Forza" then people would just question whether making a Grid clone makes sense rather than the removal of features in a sequel.

EA didn't call Need for Speed: Shift an Underground sequel to get people to buy a game they think would be like a sequel even though the devs could do it if they wanted.

Last edited:
Back