[NTSC] Calling out all lurkers and noobs...

• Thread starter clacksman
  • 32 comments
clacksman/ GTP_clacksman
...racing designed especially for and to include you is happening this Saturday, February 21. The only qualifications you need are:

1. Intend to drive on the track without contact
2. Cleared C, B and A class offline races
3. Own a Nissan Fairlady Version S '07

#1 is because that's how it should be done, always.
#2 is because the race is at Expert Class 650pp Fuji Speedway F.
#3 is because this is the car we will be using. With R3 tires, minimum weight, maximum power and a TCS set at 5. Remainder of default setup is to be left as-is, leaving driver as the only variable.

The point of these races are for new and inexperienced online racers to learn by participating in an environment of fairness and helpfulness.
Veterans, you are more than welcome to join and be a positive example.
Noobs and lurkers, here are more instructions should you need them.

In the 'driving options' menu:
Automatic or Manual transmission is up to you, it makes little difference to speed. I will be using Automatic.
Turn off steering assist.
Turn off ASM, it prevents you from driving the car properly (for racing).
Traction Control prevents wheelspin, set it to 5. This setting will allow some sliding when you apply throttle.
Driving Line is up to you, I recommend 'off' due to it taking focus away from what's going on around you.

In the 'quick tune' menu:
Set power to maximum possible +24.
Set weight to minimum possible 85%.
Tires should be set to R3 and R3.
Your Performance Points should be 649.
Traction Control can be set to 5 in this menu as well.
All other settings leave alone, everyone participating should have an identical car.

Race Times:
On every :15 past the hour.

Using the in-game analog clock, I will begin at 12:15 EST (perhaps an hour earlier) starting a race with this car, and continuing on every :15 past into the evening. This leaves time to do a race at :45 past as well should you choose.

Anyone wanting to participate, do so simply by starting at the same time. The race takes about 20 minutes, be prepared.
Anyone with questions, please ask them by either posting in this thread (by clicking 'reply') or by sending me a PM here (by clicking on 'clacksman'). I will answer every one.

ill be glad to help, if i am available then and people are participating. to the participants, especially if you do not race with a gtp tag, it would be helpful if you post in this thread that you will be participating so that people will be able to recodnize you amongst the crowd at the grid- hopefully there will be a crowd. :)

edit: clacksman, so just to clarify, will the races be on the :15 and optionally on the :45 marks, beginning at 12:15pm eastern time?

Last edited:
edit: clacksman, so just to clarify, will the races be on the :15 and optionally on the :45 marks, eastern time?

I'm not clacksman (obviously) but I gotta do this...

Um, :15 and :45 happens in all time zones at the same time. :sly::dopey:

I may join in just to mess around. Car may be a handful. :D

It's not too bad. The idea is any rookies to online racing can watch and learn, knowing the car is identical.

ill be glad to help, if i am available then and people are participating. to the participants, especially if you do not race with a gtp tag, it would be helpful if you post in this thread that you will be participating so that people will be able to recodnize you amongst the crowd at the grid- hopefully there will be a crowd. :)
edit: clacksman, so just to clarify, will the races be on the :15 and optionally on the :45 marks, beginning at 12:15pm eastern time?

I think just being in a Fairlady will be notice enough. This event is posted at any GT5P forum I have found, so it's impractical to have a list of rookies posted. Yes, 12:15 EST is the start for me. I will be participating on every :15, and obviously there is enough time to run at :45 as well.

I may join in for a few tomorrow, but do I have to run TC?

Yes please, use the full setup as posted. As I said above, rookies should be able to join knowing the setup of other Fairladys is identical to their own. This should help them learn faster faster :)

TCS set to 5 does allow some sliding in the second gear curves. ;)

i may run a few races if i get a chance

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm... Why TCS 5? How should the noobs like me get better by using aids like these to slow me down? practically makes the car brake by itself. You got R3's on. Shouldn't that be enough grip? Besides that, I'm down.
I'm pretty sure I can keep up with the fast guys.

GTP Chat - Chat Linky

Go here when you are set to race so we can sync easier.

Last edited:
Ummm... Why TCS 5? How should the noobs like me get better by using aids like these to slow me down? practically makes the car brake by itself. You got R3's on. Shouldn't that be enough grip? Besides that, I'm down.

GTP Chat - Chat Linky

TCS 5 is due to the tail-happiness of the car. Yes, it is on R3s, but it is also on maximum HP and minimum weight. This setting allows some power oversteer. I'm told it is still possible to spin out completely.
If you think TCS 5 'slows you down' or causes the car to 'brake by itself', you clearly need the practice.
As I said in the OP, I'm starting at 12:15 EST and doing same every :15 past...what more co-ordination is needed?

GTP Chat - Chat Linky

I was a hater too when I first saw TCS5, but after running around 50 laps in free run and races I can tell you that you won't even notice it unless you're already sideways. Really, if you use proper throttle control it doesn't even kick in. But there were some times when I gave too much throttle coming out of a corner when the TCS saves my butt. I still lost alot of time but I was able to keep it on track.

TCS 5 is due to the tail-happiness of the car. Yes, it is on R3s, but it is also on maximum HP and minimum weight. This setting allows some power oversteer. I'm told it is still possible to spin out completely.

I'm the one who told him. Try dropping the hammer in the middle of a left-right transition or when you have the outside rear in the dirt. TCS did NOT save my butt those 2 times.

Last edited:
He's new, he will get the hang of it:sly: I was racing last night with a Vette and this setting for the 350Z kept it right up front. You should have no problems with this car and settup.👍

This is turning out to be a really fun event. :)

The 12:15 EST race just ended, thirteen Fairlady Zs out there. Besides me, it seemed equally split between noobs, lurkers, veterans and GTP_tagflyers. Good show.

edit: Any driver missing the scheduled start time for a network error or fail-to-connect, just re-start the race as soon as you get back to the race menu screen. You'll get a race with the other drivers who missed.

Last edited:
Managed to out-run an old STI at the final corner. It was fun and well organized. Good game!

The 12:15 EST race just ended, thirteen Fairlady Zs out there. Besides me, it seemed equally split between noobs, lurkers, veterans and GTP_tagflyers. Good show.

edit: Any driver missing the scheduled start time for a network error or fail-to-connect, just re-start the race as soon as you get back to the race menu screen. You'll get a race with the other drivers who missed.

Thanks to all participants. I was surprised to see so many veterans out there. The peak for one start time was thirty!

Thanks again.

Yes, very good turnout. It was nice to see full fields. But the downside to full fields is turn 1 with 16 cars going for the same space at the same time. :crazy:

Racing was great for laps 2-10. :sly:

Thanks to all participants. I was surprised to see so many veterans out there. The peak for one start time was thirty!

Thanks again.

Hi Man

It was a pleasure to me race on this event.
It was a fantastic idea. Congtaulatios !!!!
How about today ? Once again ?

See you

I don't know about anyone else, but I had trouble driving the car with that setup. Racing with other people was fun, but I kept getting upset with the car because it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. Great idea anyway, but since I'm kind of a veteran of GT, I'll leave the next races to the noobs.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had trouble driving the car with that setup. Racing with other people was fun, but I kept getting upset with the car because it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. Great idea anyway, but since I'm kind of a veteran of GT, I'll leave the next races to the noobs.

I was wondering what happened. We had a good race going and you just pulled over and stopped. :indiff:

For some reason, and it may have just been me, but the car was pushing like a truck. Sorry to cut the race short there, but I just wasn't happy at all. That's kinda how I am really. Even if the car is competitive and up front (like last night) if it handles like crap I get tired of it quick.

Hey All,

I only got 1 race in late last night ,even used a controller instead of setting up my wheel (ugly). clacksman thanks for putting this race out there . Thats not why I'm posting though.

I think that this was a great event idea. The PAL guys do it all the time .heck they have a daily car/track/time combo.

We need to do the same on NTSC. I for one can only get my GT5P fix on tues/wed & I'm sure that there are many others out there with similar/different time constraints.

I also think that there are other NTSC players who would take part in daily spec car races if they where set up , as it a true gauge of how good your driving is or how it is coming along (other than chasing ghosts in arcade time trial) & as we all known tight , clean racing is tonnes of fun.

Anyway again ,cool event , as a noobie member to this forum I don't want to overstep my bounds & try to set-up the type of daily spec racing I'm suggesting. But if one of the more senior members would set something up I would participate as often as my life allows.

Hello any one racing now on NTSC? oh clackman.. I sended you PSN friend invite..

hey i ran this race on saturday it was very fun clean racing with full grids for most of the races, how are the grids tonight? i may join you in the 3:00(am, EST) hour

So is this event over or there's going to be more races?? It seems like a fun race, and why TCS?? If I join, can I play without it?? With R3 tires, I think there's enough grip there to keep the car from sliding.

The responce was huge. clacksman is looking into having this every week. Stay tuned. And the TCS setting is to have all cars running the same tune. This way, you know that it is the driver and not his tune that youare beating/ losing to.:)

Latest Posts

Back