Observation on AI in GT7

• Thread starter nummer0
  • 42 comments
Serbia
Serbia
I won't get into too much detail.

Considering the AI in new events - Sophy isn't in GT7.
The issue in GT7's AI's unnatural pace is the fact that ASM and TCS work differently for AI compared to the player car. I've just witnessed unnatural and physically impossible action in which AI car literally shifted sideways when ASM activated. Also, during rain - TCS activated only enough for tires to have grip but the input was full (red bar). There was no "jerking" motion by TCS activation, only perfect throttle input relative to the grip available. This can easily be seen during the Spa 1h race when AI mess up and stay on RH or RS tires. You will see how their TCS gives them perfect grip and ASM keeps them on the apex. Also, during race such as Lake Maggiore - their TCS rarely activates (in situations where TCS activation is mandatory).

Therefore, PD tweaked something in regards to driver aids which artificially gave AI unnatural pace. Those aids can't act in such a way when used by the player.

Very cheap work by PD. Thankfully Spa 1h race isn't BoP, otherwise it'd be very difficult due to those issues.

Last edited:
Explains why the AI blows past me on their slicks while I struggle on mine in the rain on my way to the pits at the Le Mans WTC700 event…

But then they, too, start struggling out of nowhere. Once I get on the wet tires, I blow past everyone when I eventually catch back up with the pack.

The AI in GT games has always been sketchy, but GT7’s AI seems to be a lot more confusing and aggravating.

Last edited:
Explains why the AI blows past me on their slicks while I struggle on mine in the rain on my way to the pits at the Le Mans WTC700 event…

But then they, too, start struggling out of nowhere. Once I get on the wet tires, I blow past everyone when I eventually catch back up with the pack.

The AI in GT games has always been sketchy, but GT7’s AI seems to be a lot more confusing and aggravating.
Yap, at Le Mans the AI cars, when starts to get wet, it's like a switch, one instant they are lapping at 100% dry pace passing you left and right, the next they are limping 20 or 30 mph to the pits. There isn't a gradually decreasing pace as the grip also decreases.

I won't get into too much detail.

The issue in GT7's AI's unnatural pace is the fact that ASM and TCS work differently for AI compared to the player car. I've just witnessed unnatural and physically impossible action in which AI car literally shifted sideways when ASM activated. Also, during rain - TCS activated only enough for tires to have grip but the input was full (red bar). There was no "jerking" motion by TCS activation, only perfect throttle input relative to the grip available. This can easily be seen during the Spa 1h race when AI mess up and stay on RH or RS tires. You will see how their TCS gives them perfect grip and ASM keeps them on the apex. Also, during race such as Lake Maggiore - their TCS rarely activates (in situations where TCS activation is mandatory).

Therefore, PD tweaked something in regards to driver aids which artificially gave AI unnatural pace. Those aids can't act in such a way when used by the player.

Very cheap work by PD. Thankfully Spa 1h race isn't BoP, otherwise it'd be very difficult due to those issues.
I suspect that only thing about Sophy that is new, is the name. It isn't doing any new. B spec has been doing exactly what Sophy does since GT4. Fair enough, I could be wrong, but all I see that is "new" is the name. So, as far as I can see, although the pace of Sophy isn't in GT7, it's still the same system.

The problem is not the AI - The problem is the expectation of the players. You are all of the belief that you are in a RACE with the AI. You are, in fact, not at all in a race with the AI. The AI is merely set up to provide an appearance. To deliver an experience. It isn't racing you. They aren't even racing each other. It's no surprise that it doesn't use the same assist systems that players use.

I suspect that only thing about Sophy that is new, is the name.
The information from PD is that Sophy would be introduced in Gran Turismo 7 by a "future update", with no time frame on that. There articles about that on news section of GT Planet.
The algorithm is still in development, so could be ages considering PD development pace.

Why some people believe the Sophy algorithm is already in GT7 since launch goes beyond my understanding.

The information from PD is that Sophy would be introduced in Gran Turismo 7 by a "future update", with no time frame on that. There articles about that on news section of GT Planet.
The algorithm is still in development, so could be ages considering PD development pace.
It's great press. So because they said "it's coming" that means it isn't already the system in the game? GT5 hacking showed that there can be lots of things "in the game" that aren't accessible. One of those things was increased AI difficulty.
Why some people believe the Sophy algorithm is already in GT7 since launch goes beyond my understanding.
Why do you believe it isn't? What is Sophy doing that's any different from the B spec drivers in Gt4 or Gt5? Might it be improved for framerate purposes? Sure. What goes beyond my understanding is how anyone thinks they are "racing" the AI when they have never had the AI try to race you in the game, ever, in 25 years.

It's great press. So because they said "it's coming" that means it isn't already the system in the game? GT5 hacking showed that there can be lots of things "in the game" that aren't accessible. One of those things was increased AI difficulty.
Precisaly because OP is about if AI behavior is related or not with Sophy algorithm. If there are a bunch of unused code lines on the disk or something like that is irrelevant to the discussion.
The point is if the AI behavior has anything to do with Sophy.
The Sophy coding is about real Artificial Inteligence, in a sense that it evolves with the data of players. An that doesn't happen with AI in GT7, just watching their race lines it's crystal clear they don't have such that input.
Having those different difficulty levels doesn't mean the AI cars are driven better, just they are faster and much of that speed comes in straight line, with them still being dumb and slow on the corners at all difficulty levels, which means it only gives more juice to AI cars.

The Sophy coding is about real Artificial Inteligence, in a sense that it evolves with the data of players. An that doesn't happen with AI in GT7, just watching their race lines it's crystal clear they don't have such that input.
If possible, spend some time with B spec from past games. It literally evolved with time. There have been bots in games that learn your patterns for at least 20 years. Quake bots were especially good at it. Call me unimpressed.

The tuning sheet even gives you G levels at speed in an instant. It wouldn't take much of an AI to reduce speed to the maximum G load for a corner. The AI is not "slow and dumb" in the corners because it's bad AI. It's like that so that you can defeat it. Being slow in the corners is what allows a person to over come it. Again, it is intentionally designed to do exactly what it is doing.

Great example. The Tokyo 600pp race for 550,000 cr. If you pass everyone on the first lap (you should be able to do it by the last hairpin), you can then block the lead cars from passing you by weaving and bumping them. If you do it enough, they "learn" that you won't let them pass, and they'll back off, allowing you to run away.

Yap, at Le Mans the AI cars, when starts to get wet, it's like a switch, one instant they are lapping at 100% dry pace passing you left and right, the next they are limping 20 or 30 mph to the pits. There isn't a gradually decreasing pace as the grip also decreases.
Can confirm this.
I am in an AWD on inters on a 50% wet track.
AI is on slicks with FR/MR.
Yet they can out accelerate me.

Observation: insane, murderous, psychotic behavior. It has the lack of spatial awareness of Romain Grosjean and the mental issues of Gregor Foitek.

You guy's make the crazy assumption the AI follows the same regulations we do in races, all the evidence we have from data harvesting GT 1-4 shows the AI cheats . I'm 100% sure the clubman cup + race at Tsukuba has cars about 200 more PP than you . wouldn't doubt the AI in those enduros has nos under the floor boards for a little extra pow wo down the straits.

While golding Lake Maggiore I noticed some things in regards to BoP/PP.

Even when using the most powerful car (M6 GT3) which by BoP has 555hp - it still gets out accelerated by the front runners, or I'm barely gaining on them. And considering that AI has always used aids it simply shouldn't be possible.

AI has more power, more PP, uses less fuel and has different TCS and ASM compared to the player. This is the way PD made AI "fast" in GT7. This is a bad system in my oppinion since it takes away from realism by a lot. But again, in GTS you could beat AI using a Miata racecar with less than 160hp when the AI is using Gr.B so in both cases it is a joke.

While golding Lake Maggiore I noticed some things in regards to BoP/PP.

Even when using the most powerful car (M6 GT3) which by BoP has 555hp - it still gets out accelerated by the front runners, or I'm barely gaining on them. And considering that AI has always used aids it simply shouldn't be possible.

AI has more power, more PP, uses less fuel and has different TCS and ASM compared to the player. This is the way PD made AI "fast" in GT7. This is a bad system in my oppinion since it takes away from realism by a lot. But again, in GTS you could beat AI using a Miata racecar with less than 160hp when the AI is using Gr.B so in both cases it is a joke.
You can not win with this community, the AI is either too fast or too slow.
I can link to the thread for EVERY racing game that has this issue.
The sliders in PC seem to work "ok" but the higher you go the dumber and more on rails the AI gets.
My favorite AI was Grid and drive clubs, Motorstorm also had fun AI, but people ragged on those too.
GT7 is by no means great, but the AI is no longer "slow" , it is now too " fast ".
People have beaten those events so it is possible and I for one welcome the difficulty and get good. Better to have hard AI than AI you can beat in a turn like prior entries.

You can not win with this community, the AI is either too fast or too slow.
I can link to the thread for EVERY racing game that has this issue.
The sliders in PC seem to work "ok" but the higher you go the dumber and more on rails the AI gets.
My favorite AI was Grid and drive clubs, Motorstorm also had fun AI, but people ragged on those too.
GT7 is by no means great, but the AI is no longer "slow" , it is now too " fast ".
People have beaten those events so it is possible and I for one welcome the difficulty and get good. Better to have hard AI than AI you can beat in a turn like prior entries.
The way I see it.

This is a console game, right.

Do people want 60 fps or good AI?

Because good AI requires good physics for AI, which requires CPU power, which is taken from other places.

Sophy is gonna be deep learned but you can bet Kaz isn't using a PS5 to teach her. PD probably uses a cluster far beyond what end users have.

Last edited:
The AI is merely set up to provide an appearance. To deliver an experience. It isn't racing you. They aren't even racing each other.
I have to disagree with this. As far back as GT5, I've watched replays and observed the bots tangling with each other in the more competitive races. To be sure, they weren't really all that fast other than the "rabbits" which would blast away from the pack, but that changed with GT Sport. They began to show a smidgen of humanlike behavior and competitiveness, not amazingly so, but decent enough.

The bots in GT7 have gone through some interesting upgrades. You mentioned them learning our traits, which is surprisingly true. On the Tokyo WTC600 race in the wet, I've been jokingly referring to V. Gallo as Blofeld, the Bond villain, and abusing him in the races I run with the Tomahawk. He's grown cagey as I've raced him, and now fights to get away from me and my car torture.

I was caught off guard by Mikail Hizal's bot in his Subaru as he settled alongside to my right in my detuned Pagani Huayra, down the straight into the tunnel. I thought it was about time for him to pit, but was sure since he was to my right, he wouldn't do it this lap. I was shocked when the next instant he slammed into me hard, trying to send us both into pit lane. I managed to force him back as the barrier was coming up fast, avoiding it, and spun him out to limp away, fighting to get back to racing speed in my nerfed Huayra. I wasn't sure why he did that, but it struck me as I was setting up for bed that he pulled a similar stunt to what I did to send V. Gallo's NSX into the pit barrier.

Last edited:
Because good AI requires good physics for AI, which requires CPU power, which is taken from other places.
Nonsense. There were games on PS2 which had better AI than GT7. AI in every racing game runs on a different physics engine to the player, it doesn't need to be that taxing.

AI cars braking on the apex and being apprehensive on the throttle has nothing to do with power and everything to do with design choices.

I have to disagree with this. As far back as GT5, I've watched replays and observed the bots tangling with each other in the more competitive races. To be sure, they weren't really all that fast other than the "rabbits" which would blast away from the pack, but that changed with GT Sport. They began to show a smidgen of humanlike behavior and competitiveness, not amazingly so, but decent enough.
Improved AI and improved game experience are not mutually exclusive. The behaviour can be better, and it can still be set up with the emphasis on letting you win.

The best way to see this is setting up a custom race. Set the difficulty level to pro, and have the cars be selected from your garage (it's more interesting an outcome that simply a random selection). Go into the "race" with the mind set that they are going to let you win, and the behaviours come to light.
The bots in GT7 have gone through some interesting upgrades. You mentioned them learning our traits, which is surprisingly true. On the Tokyo WTC600 race in the wet, I've been jokingly referring to V. Gallo as Blofeld, the Bond villain, and abusing him in the races I run with the Tomahawk. He's grown cagey as I've raced him, and now fights to get away from me and my car torture.

I was caught off guard by Mikail Hizal's bot in his Subaru as he settled alongside to my right in my detuned Pagani Huayra, down the straight into the tunnel. I thought it was about time for him to pit, but was sure since he was to my right, he wouldn't do it this lap. I was shocked when the next instant he slammed into me hard, trying to send us both into pit lane. I managed to force him back as the barrier was coming up fast, avoiding it, and spun him out to limp away, fighting to get back to racing speed in my nerfed Huayra. I wasn't sure why he did that, but it struck me as I was setting up for bed that he pulled a similar stunt to what I did to send V. Gallo's NSX into the pit barrier.
Or, it just goes for the pit lane and ignores if you are there or not, putting priority on it's own self preservation over whether it contacts you are not.

Either way, like I said a few posts back, from a software development standpoint, it's a better idea to implement the system and keep it reigned in, than to implement a new system post launch. It's not crazy. Look at real life cars. Tons of the "options" are already loaded into the car and the dealer simply enables them. I bought an OBD11 for my golf and unlocked a bunch of options that would cost me thousands from the dealer.

But to your point, they may be gaining big data from all player behaviour in order to have a better system when they finally fully activate it. Maybe we'll all get a bot version of ourselves to race against or unleash onto others.

What a surprise, you're talking out your ass again.

Too bad that frame rates don't at all correlate between the computational abilities of a computer opponent in terms of their abilities, nor does it take away from the fact that, like Samus said, GT4 was consistently outclassed in the AI department from related games back when it launched - and that gap has only grown, to become a Grand Canyon sized chasm.

It's always another excuse and another person or group's blame when it comes to Polyphony's shortcomings. Never at the studio, or at the man at the top.

The game is designed to be a good game. First and foremost it is meant to be entertainment. That means that the AI cars are better than ours in some respects and not as good as ours in others. The AI cars can out-accelerate or out-brake us but will also sometimes slow down to let us catch up.

It's all designed to give us a tough but not impossible race.

I've been playing since GT1 and AFAIK it's been the same in every iteration of GT.

Improved AI and improved game experience are not mutually exclusive. The behaviour can be better, and it can still be set up with the emphasis on letting you win.

The best way to see this is setting up a custom race. Set the difficulty level to pro, and have the cars be selected from your garage (it's more interesting an outcome that simply a random selection). Go into the "race" with the mind set that they are going to let you win, and the behaviours come to light.

Or, it just goes for the pit lane and ignores if you are there or not, putting priority on it's own self preservation over whether it contacts you are not.

Either way, like I said a few posts back, from a software development standpoint, it's a better idea to implement the system and keep it reigned in, than to implement a new system post launch. It's not crazy. Look at real life cars. Tons of the "options" are already loaded into the car and the dealer simply enables them. I bought an OBD11 for my golf and unlocked a bunch of options that would cost me thousands from the dealer.

But to your point, they may be gaining big data from all player behaviour in order to have a better system when they finally fully activate it. Maybe we'll all get a bot version of ourselves to race against or unleash onto others.
This is only true if you have a boost off in a custom race, turn it on, and they suddenly don't slow down.
Also, no two races are the same, One race will have the AI fighting their ass off for first, and others have them "give up", the AI is assigned new characteristics the second you hit "restart".

Last edited:
One race will have the AI fighting their ass off for first, and others have them "give up"
This is definitely true. The bots clearly have moods, and sometimes they just aren't feeling it. I'm sure we've all had inexplicably easy races from time to time. To completely reroll their aggressiveness, quit and re-enter a race.

Some of you need to keep in mind that you're exceptional racers, with abnormally good skillsets that the rest of us average joes don't have. In GT6 and Sport when I was competing online, either for an Academy slot or online races, I was pretty consistently in the top 10%. On the leaderboards, I varied between 12 and 7% depending on the event, so I figured I averaged about 10%, with the top million players out of 10 million in an average GT sales lot. The top 1% were not only insanely fast, but their lap times varied within an extremely narrow margin, with a lot of ties.

Because of a car wreck and just getting older, I might have slipped from that 10% bracket, but I don't seem to be any slower. It's just that you youngsters are bloody good. And I'm not disabled from it, I'm just afraid of very fast races. This is the first GT in which I've felt nervous about pushing these cars, but it's mostly the somewhat sketchy physics, which is still pretty darn good. And most of us are still losing single player races to these bots, so while they do let us win occasionally, that's occasionally. For the most part, these virtual guys n girls are pretty fast and race to win.

Last edited:
The way I see it.

Sophy is gonna be deep learned but you can bet Kaz isn't using a PS5 to teach her. PD probably uses a cluster far beyond what end users have.
Good AI does not need that much more CPU, the PS5 is not even being pushed to its limits yet with GT7.

I am more than happy to give up some of those Marshalls that wave flags(seeing as the AI dont respond to them) for better AI.

IMO there simply is no real AI. It‘s 1‘s and 0‘s on rails on a mission to kill you.That‘s it.They even try to kill you when you lap em (colour blind as well=blue flag) It would be funny if it wouldn‘t be so sad.

regarding“no two races are the same“ are we playing even the same game?I tested some tuning/wheel settings on deep forest and therefore i did start the race a couple of times again and i‘ve seen the exact same spin off from the same car at the same position (end of lap 1) multiple times.Next you tell me lottery tickets are not rigged ;)

Or the 12 laps Tokyo.Its a fun race (i‘m playing it NO tomahawk,..) and its always the same as well.Gallo will lead the first rounds but needs to pit twice,Kokobun only one time and therefore always my biggest enemy at the end etc etc..

No two races are the same counts for ACC (new start of the same race can lead to totally different results) but definitely not for GT.
AI in ACC even slows down a bit and make space when they get blue flag and you pass by,i was impressed by this after playing GT all the weeks before (new to ACC).

Last edited:
Sophy is not in GT7 and will never take over from the current 'AI' if it makes it into GT7. PD has stated that Sophy might come at a later date in a mentoring role.

You can watch the AI in action here.
First race day the super stars win the point total, the AI shows some creative abuses of the track limits (track limit penalties were off day one). Second race day the AI kills the superstars, literally. The aggression level was dialed up and the AI kept racking up penalties, both track limit and collision penalties (judged by the stewards who were kept very busy in the Sarthe race)

The problem with Sophy is, it doesn't know about racing etiquette either. The AI didn't even move off the line when serving penalties, guess they 'forgot' that little bit. Likely the AI was 'trained' without penalties with the only objective to win the race, which the AI indeed accomplishes. Yet there's more to racing than moving your opponents out of the way.

As for the current AI, my observations:

The AI in GT7 races according to a schedule. They seem to have target finish times next to an objective to stay in front of the player until x percentage in the race. Where x varies by the intended finishing position for each car.

If you 'simply' avoid the AI and lap consistently like clockwork you can easily see this process in action. At first the AI is quite fast, runs ahead a bit setting fastest laps, but after a while settles down and keeps a steady distance to you (from the front). As the race progresses one after the other will slow down to let you pass, that is if your pace is ultimately greater than their target finish time.

I had this play out on the 1H Autopolis race in Human Comedy. I did a simple 2 stop race, driving 2:29 laps like clockwork. Couple tenths under or over 2:29 as tires and fuel weight changed but very regular laps. The AI first started with 2:26 laps until first was 24 seconds ahead where he stayed for 2/3rds of the race. The rest of the field dropped back one by one, getting in range, pretending to race me for a bit, then falling back. In the final third of the race the front started falling back. With 6 minutes left first place let me pass and ended up 12 seconds behind me at the finish.

I got dive bombed once during that race, avoided it, took the position back on corner exit only for the AI to out accelerate me and use it's higher top speed to pass me again, before giving up half a lap later and falling back. It's not racing, the AI are marginally interactive pylons setting the pace for the phase the race is in.

The AI gets dirty when they fall behind their 'schedule'. They get speed boosts and grip boosts to make it back to where they are supposed to be. The longer they get held up, the more aggressive they become. This happens after they make a pit stop, their outlaps usually have quite the speed boost to get back on their time table. Beware if the AI pits earlier than you then ends up behind you. That's when they are at their most dangerous / ruthless, diving into corners with boosted grip, desperate to get back on their time table and intended position for that time in the race.

You can see the boosts increasing when you try to keep such an AI (early pitter) behind you. They try to overtake over the grass, dive on the outside when the inside is not available and somehow have magic grip on grass and wet surfaces. Eventually they'll just push you out of the way, and they'll knock other AI off the road as well to get back to their position.

So no there is no AI in GT7. The 'AI' is nothing more than a script directing a bunch of mobile time markers riding along with you on the track. They're programmed to let you advance through the pack in an orderly manner. If you deviate from their schedule, things get ugly :/

The AI seems to get more rubber bandy and stupid the faster the cars are, maybe that's why there are no events over PP 800... And also why all the campaign races are catch the rabbit. You have the faster car, the AI remains in passive let you by mode, already on their time table for the short pit stop free race.

Last edited:
" Mission races clearly have scripted AI,"
Arcade and custom race do not, you guys are talking as if the scripted AI is this games AI, it's not .

"The AI in GT7 races according to a schedule"

Yes in mission races, every mission has heavily scripted AI , except for some nur challenges.

Absolutely false outside of it. again, I can provide screenshots showing what Tenacious D and I are saying.
In custom races the RNG parameters, some will go faster the faster you go, so much so that they make the same mistakes the player makes when taking a corner too fast.

Also, ALL AI in video games is a script. congrats on describing how AI works.

I actually want to place a challenge on you guys. Make a custom race with ten unique cars and make them all come within 8 seconds of first place on a track like the streets of willow or Tsukuba in a 5-lap race. You have to place second or first. This 8-second split is pretty tight.

If you can't you don't have a solid understanding of how the AI works, If you can congrats let's do more testing.

If the AI is the exact same every lap, repeat this three times, All the cars must come in the exact same order .

If AI is on a schedule, it will always finish within the same timespan.

Any wrecks or crashes disprove they are on rails, if you think the crash was scripted, then it should happen more than 50% on repeats.

Last edited:
The AI behaves the same when I set up a custom endurance race with pro AI. They start fast, take up position ahead of me, the longer the race the further ahead they go. But then they stick at that distance before starting to fall back one by one.

At first they are hell bent on staying in front of you but one by one they 'give' up and let you pass then quickly drop back. Exactly like what I experienced in the 'scripted' 1H race at Autopolis.

The end depends on whether you out pace the 'target' time or not. The AI will make it look like a close race but depending on where the AI is supposed to finish, they'll either make it easy and drop back or teasingly stay a few seconds ahead of you.

I've done a whole bunch of 3H races against GR.4 with different cars, some faster some slower. And they all fit what I describe above. Cars distribution is the same around me during the race. When I had a much faster car I would lose them before the end, yet in a certain range the AI stayed with me to the end, either to stay a bit ahead of me in the slower race, or make a final pass on the straight very easy when I'm in a faster race. Even though the top speed was pretty much the same.

There is some randomness to it. Sometimes a back marker gets the boost and starts racing like their life depends on it. But usually it's quite predictable. You catch up with a car, they signal a side they will stick to, you come alongside, then 2 things can happen. They either speed up and deny you the pass, looks like it's not time yet to be in front of that car. Or they give up and quickly fall back, seems it was time to be in that place.

Every time after they pit, they go faster to catch up to some schedule. They'll ram you out of the way if you passed them while they were in the pit. You're not supposed to be there yet. Then after they take position ahead of you, you pit, now much further behind than before, the AI slows down to let you catch back up.

It's a script, keeping the AI on a schedule to arrive at about a certain time, while also trying to stay ahead of the player until x% of the race is done. The AI cheats with speed boosts and grip to go faster to catch up. But they can crash. Sometimes their boost dive pass goes wrong and they go into the wall (got plenty of clips of that, fun to trigger lol). And sometimes they crash into each other or spin out, rarely though.

You have anecdotal evidence, you are doing 3-hour races presumably using the GR category hand-picked by polyphony, too much time happens to even remotely do a scientific analysis, do a 5 lap race with AI you know the parameters. Otherwise, it's pure hypotheticals, You can only repeat your experiment three times a day realistically.

Also the AI "falling back" can easily be explained by the fact we humans get faster with repetition and more consistent, you may not be at optimal performance the first ten laps, but maybe doing consistently great laps for the remaining half of the race, the AI is consistent. A good metric to use is the fastest lap marker, if you are the fastest driver, the AI is not falling back due to a script, you are literally outpacing them.

It's also important to note real-life racing almost never has close finishes, in Lemans car's wins by huge gaps, and in f1 most of the time first place wins by a couple of seconds, the average in f1, is 2.3% across all era's. In a three-hour race that's roughly a six-minute split between cars, but second place is usually 0.57% behind first place, or about a minute.

The AI is slower around turns anyways, so if you are running with no assist, you should be running 1 tire compound lower than them.

Last edited:
Back