Obutto cockpits arriving in USA November 7th

  • Thread starter Thread starter fitftw
  • 37 comments
  • 6,719 views
Got mine put together. Very awesome.

Not 100% happy with all the positioning yet. Still working on that. Took me a couple hours to get it all unwrapped and put together.

Very sturdy though. The keyboard thing can't actual swivel into place with my wheel in place, but that's alright. I'm actually sitting in the cockpit right now, with my laptop on my lap. Works quite well. Got some water on the keyboard tray to my left.

It's really comfortable. I might sit in here more often.
 
Thats good news.. ^

I cannot wait to get mine setup. Glad to know two more customers like theirs.

Hey Pedal-Force, I am in Charlotte for vacation. Actually,in Waxhaw right now. :)

Well, mine comes Monday, but I won't be in home, in Florida to get it. :(

At least the game is being shipped here, in Charlotte.
 
I'm working on inverting right now. Still undecided on how exactly to mount it. I've got the pedals removed from the tray cover thing.

I'm going to mount them to a piece of wood and mount the wood to the Obutto frame piece by drilling some holes slightly smaller than the screw I'm using.

I'm not sure what angle I want the pedals at though, or how high exactly. The angle needs to be right so it's comfortable for hours and I'm not struggling to keep my foot off the clutch.

Any ideas?
 
I'm working on inverting right now. Still undecided on how exactly to mount it. I've got the pedals removed from the tray cover thing.

I'm going to mount them to a piece of wood and mount the wood to the Obutto frame piece by drilling some holes slightly smaller than the screw I'm using.

I'm not sure what angle I want the pedals at though, or how high exactly. The angle needs to be right so it's comfortable for hours and I'm not struggling to keep my foot off the clutch.

Any ideas?

Make a dead pedal aswell. Mount the pedals to the wood and maybe selotape it to find a comfortable angle for YOU
 
I don't have any woodworking tools, just drills. I can't make a nice wedge or anything to really change the angle.

Luckily the angle that they will naturally be at seems to be fine. I've held the pedal in place with my hand and pretended to drive, seems pretty good.

Not sure how to make the dead pedal. I'd need a piece of triangular wood, which I'm not sure how to get. I do have a hacksaw, so I guess I could just cut one out of a block... wouldn't be perfect, but maybe good enough.
 
Here's mine. I'm finished with the inversion.

2010-11-21_14-24-50_778.jpg


2010-11-21_14-25-07_267.jpg


2010-11-21_14-25-21_611.jpg



Don't have a deadpedal, I'm gonna see how it goes without one. Might add one later.

If you're going to do this, follow Chilichoke's instructions for removing the pedals from the tray.

The easiest way to do this I think is to buy a 3 foot section of welding steel, which you can get from Lowe's or Home Depot. Cut it in half. I would get a piece a little thicker than mine. Mine bends a little in the middle under heavy braking.

I used 4 bolts with washers and nuts. M10 I believe, the same size as the ones that come with the cockpit.

When you're drilling steel make sure you have good bits and go slowly with a lot of pressure. You want to cut the metal, not grind it. If you're doing it right you'll start getting long curls of metal, like if you were cutting wood. If you're going too fast or without enough pressure you'll end up with little tiny pieces of metal, like you're grinding it (because you are).

Drill one hole at a time and then line everything up. The way I did it was a little backwards I think. The first step should probably be to drill one hole in the end of each of the metal pieces. Then use this hole to mark the place for the hole you want to drill in the Obutto frame. Drill that hole and run a bolt through. Mark the other side of the metal with the bolt in, so it's lined up.

Drill that hole, then use that hole to mark the frame. Once you get the pieces attached to the frame, mark the three holes for the pedals, making sure they're vertical and in the place that you want. I used the widths of the original pedal setup to mark it.

Drill those three holes and run the bolts in to attach the pedals, making sure they're vertical. Use the bottom holes to mark the bottom piece of steel. Drill those holes and put it all together.

It takes a while because steel isn't the easiest thing to drill through, especially the thick tubing of the cockpit. It wants to grab your bit a lot, so take it easy.
 
Here's mine. I'm finished with the inversion.
The easiest way to do this I think is to buy a 3 foot section of welding steel, which you can get from Lowe's or Home Depot. Cut it in half. I would get a piece a little thicker than mine. Mine bends a little in the middle under heavy braking.

You could also use an L-shaped piece of steel. It will resist the bending forces a lot more than flat stock.
 
Yes I agree with clipless, use angle iron instead of flat stock.
 
Back