Oculus RIFT Head Mounted Display 90 Degree FOV

• Thread starter ibuycheap
  • 839 comments
When I asked Oculus if any of the iRacing staff have a dev kit ordered they replied. "We are not at liberty to say who has dev kits ordered. But a LOT of people have." Sounds like they do to me. Great!

People are absolutely going crazy over the Rift at CES. Plenty of hands on and demo videos out there, haven't seen many negative comments about it at all.

Also, Mr Latte, something I forgot to address before, the Rift won't cause the usual 3D glasses related eye strain and headaches. 3D is not the cause for headaches, we live in a 3D world right? With the Rift, there is a single screen but each eye is isolated to viewing a slightly different image. Since each eye is focusing on a single 2D image, your brain processes the slightly different images and makes them 3D.

For the record, the rift is nothing like the HMZ. You dont see screens, just the game world. Its why people are going ape$hit over it.

Rift has more FOV yes. But I wonder how easy on the eye it will be to have such a large screen so close to you? Exciting for sure but I can see it being the worst possible simracing setup as well as the best :)

I haven't tested it but it's been stated that it's actually easier on the eyes than looking at a computer monitor from standard distance due to the way the lens allows your eyes to focus to infinity.

Project Cars is supposedly onboard and I think we'll see implementation of Rift features very soon after the dev kit ships. I'll let you know how it is in April.

You dont get headaches or eye strain with the rift. This has been touched on by Palmer and several testers at CES. The Rift is unlike any other POS HMD released in the past. Its going to be revolutionary.

How long did the CES guys wear it? Hype train is one thing. Reality another. Being comfortable for 15 minutes don´t say to much. May be true of course.

I've spoken with a couple of the people who have early prototypes for development purposes and they both said they have done long gaming sessions with it of one hour or more and said it was perfectly comfortable the entire time.

Consumer version will be better though

Of course it will.

Some will choose to wait for the consumer version, others will purchase the dev kit. So while I'm enjoying my dev kit for ~1 year waiting for the consumer version others will just have to sit by and wait. I'll buy the consumer version as well. :sly:

Of course it will.

Some will choose to wait for the consumer version, others will purchase the dev kit. So while I'm enjoying my dev kit for ~1 year waiting for the consumer version others will just have to sit by and wait. I'll buy the consumer version as well. :sly:

👍

Experience the game support will be lackluster so it may be a frustrating affair particularly if it actually works. Don't get me wrong been drooling on the concept for 20 years but its highly overrated being a paying beta tester.

I'm not paying to be a beta tester, at least that's not the reason I'm paying. I'm paying because I like being part of new technology and new implementations of old technology.

There is already a list of 50+ already released games that will be supported when the dev kits ship. That's plenty for me, even if the implementation isn't perfect, it will still be a ton of fun in my opinion.

It's not for everyone, but it's perfect for people like me.

"If it actually works"

have you been watching any of the expression videos and the blog? It works and the reason it works is because the Rift doesn't parlay off any other HMD tech before it.

Its OK to be skeptical, but unless you're up to date on what it is and how it works you sound like a debbie downer type dude. Nobody is signing up to be a beta tester. The dev kit is just that, a dev kit. No promises are being made. Those who purchase it wish to show their support for the project. And judging from the record breaking Kickstarter I'd say they're off to a good start.

People are stupid, they know what they're buying and why they're buying it. If you choose not to do so I can understand that. But trying to sway others as to why their supporting it is silly. Especially since we've been part of it since the beginning. I've had bought one of Palmers modded HMDs and have been following this project since its inception on the MTBS3D forum. So yeah, we know its new tech, we know its not fully fleshed out, we know its niche. No offense but for the last two years been hearing the same thing over and over, alot of the time from people who don't even really care about it. It gets annoying real fast. No offense, but people who play the "Internet devils advocate dude" tires my brain something fierce.

Experience the game support will be lackluster so it may be a frustrating affair particularly if it actually works. Don't get me wrong been drooling on the concept for 20 years but its highly overrated being a paying beta tester.

I'd understand that if it was £500+ but it's not, I think it worked out around £215 (GBP) which is about the price of an Xbox360 ;)
That's my opinion anyway :)

I am always skeptical. It looks promising like many attempts before it. Will be interesting when the dev kits is released. I assume you have you signed nda:s though?

I am not trying to sway anyone just saying you will get a smoother ride if you let the product mature. When the rift was announced they wanted more then now . Already starting to see 1080p panels in smartphones.

Anyway if only hype posts would be allowed we just help with the viral marketing. Must be okay being a late adopter. Except for less then optimal resolution we have the input lag issue that could be approved on if what occulus states is true

Like I said I have no problem with skepticism, when its backed by knowledge of the topic at hand. Input lag isn't an issue, its the panel refresh rate. Their input lag is ridiculously low and its been improved 5 fold over the original just a mere months ago.

I'll let everyone know how it is when mine arrives in a couple months. Hopefully there won't be further delays, but with something like this I can't rule that out.

Are you talking about the latency on the head tracking? That appear quite good yes.

The input lag on the report from CES by their guy they suggest it´s well over 30 ms. I find input lag more annoying then response time personally. 30 ms in a modern tv is considered really fast but for us used to CRT Tvs and as of late some really fast LCD monitors there is a real difference.

But not all are sensitive to that particularly not gamepad jockeys which has a bit of deadzones alreadybut I got allergic from my 55 ms sony tv which mean it´s harder to save slides since you see it later. Cornering get quite different too because you are further ahead then what you think you are etc. You steer but you sense a slight delay.

I would love to see a real input lag test on the RIFT. May be hard to achieve the normal way though?

I am not talking about pixel response time. I am less picky about that just act as motion blur if it´s not crazy slow.

Yeah tests with wheels and input lag would be ideal. I think that 30ms is fine for FPS but for driving it isn't.

Excessive input lag would kinda kill it for racing games. But I'm still hanging on to my optimism. Even if I absolutely hate it, I'll at least get some hours of entertainment out of it. I've spent more than $300 on less entertainment before.

Oh I agree. I believe over skepticism is one of the main factors why certain things fail. You get people over analyzing it over and over constantly being negative resoundingly so and then it spreads like wildfire.

My opinion is even with some input lag, the absolute immersion even in racing games is going to be astounding. Especially in 3D.

i think the issue is that not a lot of people have have experienced true 3D via a really nice HMD, its astounding the immersion. I have used several really high end HMDs which pale to the rift in specs. If the Rift delivers on even half of what is promised, people are in for a real treat. Problem is, most only go by what the general opinion of VR is which is cliche 90s drivel.

Tim from ISI team has contacted them several times, because ISI are very interested to implement this new device to rF2, but they didn't even respond to him!

Give me his contact info and I'll pass it along to Palmer on the MTBS3D boards. Palmer is always there. I'm sure its a miscommunication, they are chomping at the bit for developers to get the hardware. Highly unlikely they would ignore them.

Give me his contact info and I'll pass it along to Palmer on the MTBS3D boards. Palmer is always there. I'm sure its a miscommunication, they are chomping at the bit for developers to get the hardware. Highly unlikely they would ignore them.

OK! I'll PM you this afternoon!:)

Oh I agree. I believe over skepticism is one of the main factors why certain things fail. You get people over analyzing it over and over constantly being negative resoundingly so and then it spreads like wildfire.

My opinion is even with some input lag, the absolute immersion even in racing games is going to be astounding. Especially in 3D.

i think the issue is that not a lot of people have have experienced true 3D via a really nice HMD, its astounding the immersion. I have used several really high end HMDs which pale to the rift in specs. If the Rift delivers on even half of what is promised, people are in for a real treat. Problem is, most only go by what the general opinion of VR is which is cliche 90s drivel.

Over skepticism? Is that the opposite of hype? I believe it´s rather the later that kills a product in the end. A product that can´t meet the expectations people will let you hear about their disappointment. Hype is something that spread by wildfire in forums particularly when people are not allowed to be critical or a killjoy.

As for input lag if it´s a massive 55 ms or such it´s really hard to overcome really. 1:1 controls do a lot for immersion. My plasma is relatively fast a bit under 40 ms and steady there but I still preferr to run my LCD Monitor with poopy IQ over it because it responds so much faster and I feel more connected with the car.

Back