Oculus RIFT Head Mounted Display 90 Degree FOV

• Thread starter ibuycheap
  • 839 comments
It's really unbelieveable how hard the CV1 / HTC vive is for the current hardware.

I have a I7-4770K which runs at 4200Mhz and a 980TI gaming g1 @1450Mhz.

In Pcars with 15 AI : CPU utiliasation is 95% on all 4 cores and with med to low settings the 980Ti struggles, but maintains a steady 90fps in races.

Seem to be relatively high? But most VR games don´t really have graphics or any form of taxing AI. Have you endurance tested the rift without the foam. I read that the original foam is quite hard on itself though it don´t seem to produce as much head sweat as the Vives soft foam :) I haven´t found a fov comparison between vive and rift without the foam inserts.

Well that's a little annoying considering they teased Vive support first earlier! I just wish Oculus would get my Rift to me sooner or that Vive support is also added soon.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We like to surprise our community once in a while... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AssettoCorsa?src=hash">#AssettoCorsa</a> <a href="https://t.co/16htt84nOF">pic.twitter.com/16htt84nOF</a></p>&mdash; Assetto Corsa (@AC_assettocorsa) <a href="">May 18, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just seen over at race department that Massarutto on his FB page has said that Vive support will come with the full VR support release.

I know it's an alpha VR support, but AC in VR was kinda disappointing.

The scale was off, 3D not rendered and the performance was below expected.

They are already working on solution and i hope we will see improvements soon.

From what I've read over at RD it appears that the same image is appearing in both eyes. This apparently happened when support for DK2 was first implemented. Was quickly sorted back then so hopefully will be quick for CV1.

From what I've read over at RD it appears that the same image is appearing in both eyes. This apparently happened when support for DK2 was first implemented. Was quickly sorted back then so hopefully will be quick for CV1.

A hotfix is already uploaded, will try it tommorow.

To sum it up: AC is THE BEST VR-experience i have had so far.

With the pixel density orride settings to 2.0 in the oculus debug tool, it's a much clearer and less cpu/gpu demanding than Pcars.

I spend the whole morning driving various cars in Assetto Corsa and i think it's pretty awesome.

With the pixel density orride settings to 2.0 in the oculus debug tool, it's a much clearer and less cpu/gpu demanding than Pcars.

I spend the whole morning driving various cars in Assetto Corsa and i think it's pretty awesome.
I echo this from playing it with the Vive. Presence seems to be on a whole higher level with AC compared to PCars. You really fell one with the car and everything becomes very natural whilst you're driving.

Well that really sucks. Coz now I feel like I need one lol
Make sure you demo it if you can before spending the money. There are limitations to the technology, for some those limitations are a dealbreaker, others can live with those limitations for the experience VR gives them. Reading around the interwebz this seems to be a very personal thing and no amount of other peoples opinion can make up for experiencing VR first hand.

Make sure you demo it if you can before spending the money. There are limitations to the technology, for some those limitations are a dealbreaker, others can live with those limitations for the experience VR gives them. Reading around the interwebz this seems to be a very personal thing and no amount of other peoples opinion can make up for experiencing VR first hand.
Fair call, I need to find somewhere in Brisbane where I can demo one, but I guess they aren't going to be in any retail stores any time soon..

Make sure to demo it how :P

Vive owners do you have any dead green pixels or other pixel faults. Seem to be a lot of Vives out there with this issue and support from HTC is abysmal

Can now set pixel display density without needing to run the debug tool.

• Oculus pixel per display is now available as setting in Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg/oculus.ini [SETTINGS] PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY

Good to see many of the big titles supporting this now.
I assume Codemasters will be amongst the first to have a *new racing title (2016) perhaps launching with full support.

Not sure if anyting has been confirmed/leaked for F1 2016 perhaps? Although looking at benchmarks of the new GPU's seems Codies games are not the most taxing yet always visually quite good.

If this was under £400 Id consider jumping at it. CEX in the UK are selling it from stock at £800 however they offer a 2YR warranty on all electrical components.

Can anyone confirm this?

So far, I'm loving pCars on the Oculus. For example, karts are finally fun and playable for me because I can actually judge those tight quick corners. But yeah, pCars is very demanding. It's smooth for me and I have set really high.

I'm using i7 6700k and 980Ti and pixel density 1.5 DSX2.

If what you say is true, then I'll buy Assetto Corsa.

AC ran very well on the DK2 with my lowly 660ti. So it doesn't sound like a stretch at all.

Will pick up a new video card and Vive next month, but I'm fully expecting AC to still be the gold standard (unless, of course, you want online racing. In which case iRacing is still king.)

Well, VR in Assetto Corsa is still in an alpha phase: you still have to start the race on the monitor first (it's not a full VR game), there is no 3D positional audio, there are problems with AA and post processing in VR, and the image on the mirrors are not rendered in 3D - it looks like a flat photo. But it sure is immersive!

My Rift is shipped so will see soon. Will be interesting to compare with the Vive. which doesn´t have AC support sadly. I got my vive running to the point where I am stationary but headtracking and all worked and it looked awesome. Nordschleife looked sharper then in P Cars but of course being stationary helps lol.

I run without post processing but I often think AC looks better without anyway. I have a X 1080 so don´t expect any performance issues :)

Got Assetto Corsa running both with my Rift and Vive. I think Rift is a bit sharper but Vive with supersampling is really close. Maybe a bit sharper actually but more SDE and the supersampling is demanding so Rift run slightly smoother with pixelmapping at 150 versus 2.5 rendertotarget on the Vive.

Wonder what settings you should run fora 1:1. I guess pixelmapping is essentially the same as supersampling on the Vive.

Got a Rift last week and love it. I am using an Nvidia 1070 GPU and it runs very nicely. I have tried AC, PCars and iRacing, with AC apparently running the best. All are good fun.

Got a Rift last week and love it. I am using an Nvidia 1070 GPU and it runs very nicely. I have tried AC, PCars and iRacing, with AC apparently running the best. All are good fun.
I just got mine this week too, but did you get motion sickness? After playing AC I felt nauseous and am taking sometime to get use to everything. It's almost too convincing.

Back