Off Season: 2008-2009 MLB Transition

• Thread starter Prosthetic
  • 92 comments
Let me tell you something. That can be a fatal flaw for the Yankees. And not to be mean, but this will mean more reason for fans to hate on A-Rod. He's still a great player nonetheless. I'm sure I'll have to watch shows like ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" and stuff to see what other people think of this deal.

It's official... A-Rod (who some are now calling A-Roid) admittedly took performance-enhancing drugs in 2001-2003. He says he's very sorry doing this. The coming days, weeks, and perhaps months will be very interesting to see how A-Rod comes through this year.

I give A-Rod a 👍 for admitting it, instead of turning it into a "Oh no I didn't" deal like Clemens, Bonds and others have.

But a big 👎 for what he did.

Last edited:
Bonds wouldn't of done it if Sosa and Big Mac didn't start is my guess... But now I just look like I'm defending my team so I'm going to go out and say... I don't think A-Rod would of done it either if it wasn't for Bonds. Its a long train that should stop.

I just want to see the other names on the list... I won't name names but I have about 20 players on the list that I expect to see on the list...

I was reading on the MLB forums and I read somewhere that Zito was juicing... I think I started to cry in laughter seeing how small of a person he is... But this off season he is going on a HUGE intense workout program and diet with closer Brian Wilson who is huge health nut so I won't be surprised if a few people say that Zito is juicing. But from Wilson's comments on Zito is apparently hes been taking it extremely seriously.

Adam Dunn is now a National as he signed a 2-year, $20M deal to play for the Washington Nationals. I'm sure he's going to improve that lineup with his presence. May give them some real hitting power. So good news for National League representatives like myself, TS (Arizona), and Prosthetic (San Francisco) among others.

Dunn should improve the Nationals offense, but that doesn't fix everything that's still wrong with that team.

Robbie Alomar , gettting sued for $15 million by his former girlfriend , because she says that he knowingly had sex with her and he knew that he had a chronic case of aids !!!!!

Although she tested negative for it , she is sueing for mental and punitive damages.

WOW

Although she tested negative for it , she is sueing for mental and punitive damages.

WOW

:lol:

I think that deserves to be in the funny news stories aswell. Aid's isn't funny but her response is golden.

EDIT: Hey! look, I didn't mention the Giants in this post.

Can you believe it? I hear today is the start of Spring Training. It will be time for the many teams and players go get warmed up to make ready for potential pennant races. I want my Astros to have a great season, but I'm a little inconfident that they'll really make any kind of noise this season. I can only hope...

I'm no good at this stuff. I'll start with the National League more with who I THINK will be the best in the divisions. It's just going to be usual suspects for me.

AMERICAN LEAGUE
East: Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees
Central: Chicago White Sox
West: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (Texas Rangers a longshot)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
East: Philadelphia Phillies or Atlanta Braves
Central: Chicago Cubs or St. Louis Cardinals (I still doubt my Astros will do any real damage. MAYBE Wild Card)
West: Arizona Diamondbacks or San Francisco Giants

Those were basically educated guesses of mine. We'll see who'll be playing in October for the World Series when we get there.

Here's my thoughts : only 1 variance from yours ( A.L. Central )

American League :

East - Boston
Central - Minnesota
West - Los Angeles

Boston beats New York for an A.L. trip to World Series

National League :

East - Philadelphia
Central - Chicago
West - Arizona

Philadelphia beats Arizona for N.L. trip to World Series

Boston beats Philadelphia in 5 games.

Mets are much better then the Phillys this year... I don't see them beating them out again this year. And I also think that the Rays will beat NYY and the Red Socks again this year. I think I would agree everywhere else.

It's the '90s all over again- Ken Griffey Jr.'s coming back to the Seattle Mariners. Supposed to be a press conference today on that. I still think Seattle needs a lot more talent to support Ken Griffey Jr. to make that team a real threat.

I like seeing Griffey going back to Seattle. Hes likely going to end his Hall of Fame carrier with the team that brought him into the MLB. Hes one of my favorite players of all times so I'm going to go ahead root (?) for the Mariners next season.

On other news the Dodgers picked up Orlando Hudson BUT they gave up a first round draft pick. Looks like the Snakes got the better end of this deal. Hudson is good but Kent has tough shoes to follow being one of the best hitting second baseman's of all time.

Other things that the Giants did this past month that I forgot to mention is they signed Rich Aurillia back and they also signed Juan Urebe. I'm really confused by both signings, as Urebe plays second base but we have 3 people already contending it (Velez, Frandsen and Burriss) And Rich being able to play 3b, 1b or SS (his original position years ago) I'm depressed on the Urebe deal but Aurillia is a very good clutch hitter so he will be good to back up Ishikawa in late extra inning games.

Now looking at the Giants roster, we have a lot of people that are almost useless. In our outfield we have Fred Lewis, Aaron Rowand, Randy Winn, Nate Schierholtz and Dave Roberts. In our infield we got Renteria, Velez, Sandoval, Ishikawa, Aurillia, Urebe, Frandsen, Burriss. And then we got Mo, Holm and Sandoval as catchers. We got some purging to do :S

Last edited:
IMO, Dodgers & D-Backs won that battle, D-Backs have some extra money laying around to pay other players and the Dodgers get a gold-glove 2nd baseman after Kent retired.

Anyway not much has been going on with the D-Backs, they picked up the contract option on Conor Jackson, but nobody's sure if he'll be playing 1st or left field with Eric Byrnes back from his hamstring injury last year.

It's Uribe, Prosthetic.

What I think will happen this year:

AL:

East- Yankees
Central - Twins
West - Angels, but barely

Wildcard - Could go to either the Red Sox, Rays, A's, or White Sox.

Yankees over BoSox in ALCS

NL:

East - Mets, by a huge margin
Central - Cubs
West - Dodgers

Wildcard - Phillies, or Cardinals

Mets over Cubs in NLCS

Yankees over Mets, sweep

All of the people saying the Phillies will be NL East champs again - The only reason why the Mets missed out on the playoffs was their bullpen. They blew something like 30 games, and the Phillies won 90 games with Brad Lidge not missing a single opportunity.

Wildcard - Could go to either the Red Sox, Rays, A's, or White Sox.

I like the A's a lot ,but their pitching department is going to need some help if they want to acomplish this, Their sticks and gloves are descent , they need a big push on the mound , Justin Duchsherer is their ace ? who went 10-8 had an era of 2.54 , but has an injury ridden history. Thats really not an ace , sorry Billy.

They need to get back to the days of Billy ball. :lol:

We're talking about who'll win the divisions and wild cards, but here's a different question... what would be your UNDERDOGS or SURPRISE teams in each division?

We're talking about who'll win the divisions and wild cards, but here's a different question... what would be your UNDERDOGS or SURPRISE teams in each division?

AL:
East: Blue Jays, they are a good team that won't be talked about but they will do good but won't win it.

Central: Indians, they have picked up a few good players and will surprise many people.

West: Rangers, they have a damn awesome offense, but lack in the pitching department. Maybe they can make some kind of deal with the Giants as we have 4 more Lincecum/Cain like pitchers coming in late 2009 and 2010.

NL:
East: Marlins, they have some epically awesome players on that team and they are a good team considering how few people go to their games. I think that the Braves will surprise people but I have no evidence to back this claim.

Central: Astro's, they were only a few games out of the wild card last season and I think they have only upgraded this off season.

West: Giants, Colorado and San Diego are both weak losing tons of players, the Dodgers also lost 13 (I think) players this off season. Their success was only due to the Snakes downfall. The Giants have upgraded their team in every position and with the same team that was playing .500 ball in September last year, they will surprise.

@Tophat, I had a feeling I was spelling Uribe wrong.

I found this video of Little Mo in a home run derby last year. My god do I love his attitude after some of those bombs.

WOW , John , good question. heres my thought , it might make some of you laugh :lol:, but here goes :

My American League surprise team comes fron the central
Going to take a stab at the homestate - Cleveland Indians , for reasons here :

They filled a big hole by signing Kerry Wood , he has his questionmarks , but they needed a closer , they got one.

Now healthy are : Victor Martinez and Travis Hafner , now they have a little more pop in the sticks department. This should compliment the sticks of Gold Glover Grady Sizemore , and Shin Soo Choo who in the last 30 games hit over .400 , 7 doubles , 2 triples , 8 dingers , 31 RBI's , hoping his pace carries over will be a big part of this offense.

I look for Cliff Lee to have another banner season , although the remainder of the starting rotation are questionable. :
Fausto Carmona - walked 70 and struck out 58 , hmmmmm
Carl Pavano - in last 4 years with the Yankess he has only won 9 games.
Aaron Laffey - injured late last season - elbow , no words yet
Anthony Reyes - injured elbow last year as well , recovered , not sure

The Indians will need run support if they want to " WAHOO " it up in Cleveland , I think they may get it , but the pitchers will need to help as well.

National League underdog comes from the west , Los Angeles Dodgers
another laugher maybe :lol:

Heres my thought on the Dodgers :
Pitching :

Chad Billingsley - returns from a 16 game winning season , I think he will be just as good this year.
Clayton Kershaw - still young , 20 yrs old I think , needs to learn a bit more , but he does show signs of talent.
James McDonald - a very strong minor leaguer supposed to be coming up , should be interesting
Hiroki Kuroda - 9-8 last year , needs to step it up a touch
Jason Schmidt - finally on track to what could be a healthy season for him.

Offensively :

Rafael Furcal is the key to this , needs to stay healthy for them to have a shot.
Andre Ethier has some pop in his stick , a good compliment for Furcal.
Matt Kemp showed some signs of maturity last year , could be a little extra that the Dodgers are looking for
Jason Repko - needs to get on base , with his speed , he could be a big factor

In my opinion , to their favor , is that they are in the western division , they are fairly young , have been tested and showed signs of maturity, could be a surprise contender.

What do you think John , am I off my rocker ? :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Might as well give my predictions for '09:

AL:
West - Angels, even without K-Rod the pitching in Anaheim is outstanding, far better than the rest of the teams in the division.
Central - Twins, great offensive team even though they don't hit a lot of home runs, but the White Sox & Indians will be right with them all season.
East - Rays, They can repeat, especially with Troy Percival coming back and adding David Price to the rotation, I'm not sure how Pat Burrell will do as the DH but time will tell.

NL
West - D-Backs, great pitching, improved bullpen will win them the west again. Dodgers have too many problems to fix after losing Greg Maddux, Jeff Kent & Derek Lowe and possibly Manny, not even the addition of O-Dog can fix that.
Central - Cubs win it handily, but once the post season comes around, they need good performances from guys like Zambrano and Soriano if they want to end the curse.
East - Mets, they have K-Rod, 'nuff said.

Their is better reasons then overrated K-Rod.

K-Rod is the main reason they'll win the NL East, the bullpen has cost the Mets a chance to play in the postseason the last 2 years. Other than that, when you look at all the talent, it's hard to believe that they missed the playoffs, the rotation is outstanding with Santana, Pelfrey and Oliver Perez and they get great offensive production from Wright, Delgado & Beltran.

I'm not saying that the Mets are going to run away with it, the Phillies will definitely play them hard all year. Plus, who says that the Mets will win it, I'm merely giving a prediction.

No, I agree with you that the Mets will win it... But I don't think it's going to be sololy because they now have K-Rod.

Nice surprise picks. Now the next question... of the surprises and picks you all posted, what team(s) is/are most likely to go to (or even win) the World Series or far into the MLB playoffs?

Nice surprise picks. Now the next question... of the surprises and picks you all posted, what team(s) is/are most likely to go to (or even win) the World Series or far into the MLB playoffs?

L.A. Dodgers from the surprise pick side of things. :indiff:

Back