Official Mazda Miata thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 37 comments
  • 3,282 views
Is that another one I see behind yours?

Another question: what is the viscous LSD? Just a normal LSD or something more? Every time I see someone reference it they dont leave the viscous off. Is it a lot better with the viscous diff?
 
Is that another one I see behind yours?

Another question: what is the viscous LSD? Just a normal LSD or something more? Every time I see someone reference it they dont leave the viscous off. Is it a lot better with the viscous diff?
A viscous LSD uses some type of oil to lock the diff, not gears.

When the oil gets hot from friction (one wheel spinning fast than the other), it locks the differential, but with normal driving it's basically an open differential.

I think they are quieter than geared LSD's, and cheaper to make, so some stock cars came with them.


Once the oil "wears out" though, it becomes like any other open differential. It's still probably a good idea to find one with the LSD though. Also, since they require the wheels to spin at different speeds to begin to make it "work" it's not as responsive as a clutch type or whatever other types of LSD's there is. I looked into this before I just don't remember much from then. I'd look it up if I were you.
 
If you drove it hard, wouldnt the fluid in the diff get warmer, thus becoming thinner? If I understand this right, if the fluid gets hot, the diff will become an open diff and no longer LSD.
 
If you drove it hard, wouldnt the fluid in the diff get warmer, thus becoming thinner? If I understand this right, if the fluid gets hot, the diff will become an open diff and no longer LSD.
I just did some research, and I may have been wrong about the whole idea of how it works.

Apparently theres some kind of fan type mechanisms inside the diff, and when one wheel is spinning faster than the other, it makes "turbulence" if you could call it that, trying to speed up the slow wheel, and slow down the fast wheel.


I KNOW for sure this isn't what I read before, since I don't see how this can wear out over time, so I'll keep looking an update this as I go.

EDIT: OK, inside the diff there is some type of silicone, and when the wheels are turning at similar speeds, it just stays cool. When one wheel spins at a higher rate of speed, the silicone inside hardens. (heated silicone hardens) This basically glues the plated together, and then you get a locking effect.

I just think that once you start driving hard, it's going to remain in a fairly locked state until you start driving normally and it cools down. I don't think it locks hard enough to cause a problem though, because in miatas the viscous lsd is generally a desired thing.

EDIT #2: Here's a good explanation.

howstuffworks.com
The viscous coupling has two sets of plates inside a sealed housing that is filled with a thick fluid, as shown in below. One set of plates is connected to each output shaft. Under normal conditions, both sets of plates and the viscous fluid spin at the same speed. When one set of wheels tries to spin faster, perhaps because it is slipping, the set of plates corresponding to those wheels spins faster than the other. The viscous fluid, stuck between the plates, tries to catch up with the faster disks, dragging the slower disks along. This transfers more torque to the slower moving wheels -- the wheels that are not slipping.

When a car is turning, the difference in speed between the wheels is not as large as when one wheel is slipping. The faster the plates are spinning relative to each other, the more torque the viscous coupling transfers. The coupling does not interfere with turns because the amount of torque transferred during a turn is so small. However, this also highlights a disadvantage of the viscous coupling: No torque transfer will occur until a wheel actually starts slipping.
 
Well guys, I have a couple options

1. semi local 1991 Miata with 125k miles on it, red comes with hardtop. But there is a small area of rust. I dont have any pics, asking $2500

2. My uncle's dad's girlfriend has a miata in storage I dont know what year or how many miles or even if she wants to sell it. All I know is its white. I am waiting on her to get back from florida to see if she wants to sell. I am almost 100% positive that it is an NA 1.6

Hopefully one of these options will pull through and I will have a miata soon
 
Well guys, I have a couple options

1. semi local 1991 Miata with 125k miles on it, red comes with hardtop. But there is a small area of rust. I dont have any pics, asking $2500

2. My uncle's dad's girlfriend has a miata in storage I dont know what year or how many miles or even if she wants to sell it. All I know is its white. I am waiting on her to get back from florida to see if she wants to sell. I am almost 100% positive that it is an NA 1.6

Hopefully one of these options will pull through and I will have a miata soon
The hardtop itself is usually worth around 1000 dollars.

Do it.
 
Is that another one I see behind yours?
Yes, that picture was taken at my friend's house, he is a Mazda Technician. That one is a 1991 1.6 with a supercharger. His missus has a 1999 Mk2. We're members of the MX5OC so I get to see loads of them :)
 
The hardtop itself is usually worth around 1000 dollars.

Do it.

Even though I will eventually need one if I plan on spec miata racing, I kinda want to check out the other one just to see if it is in better condition since it has been in storage for awhile. Who knows, he might give me an awesome deal on it since I'm family (kinda). This is the same guy who GAVE me my first car, a 1983 Chrysler LeBaron.
 
Back