Official WRC Series Returns: EA Sports WRC, to Launch November 3 on PC & New-Gen Consoles

• Thread starter Famine
  • 207 comments
Trouble is it's too late now. If PD hadn't stolen it away then it's not unreasonable to think the hill climb category would have expanded in DR2 but that single action seemed to stop CM in their tracks. What rubs salt into the wound is that PD have done nothing except reserve it, for some bizarre reason only known to them. Alwful.

And now with the WRC license it’s even less likely we’ll see them make the effort to get it back.

Maybe KT or Milestone will revive one of their rally franchises and try to do something. I think KT were on to something with V-Rally 4 with the multiple disciplines including hill climb, they just executed it poorly.

I enjoyed Pikes Peak in dirt Rally 1 too bad we all got robbed of it for Dirt Rally 2 thanks to Sony and PD.

Not to mention GT7 is on life support which means will never see Pikes Peak in the game itself.

Imagine locking away a licence not even using it. Not to mention GT7 even barely has any proper hill climb cars apart from the Escudo even if they release pikes peak it will not even come with hillclimb cars.

And now with the WRC license it’s even less likely we’ll see them make the effort to get it back.

Maybe KT or Milestone will revive one of their rally franchises and try to do something. I think KT were on to something with V-Rally 4 with the multiple disciplines including hill climb, they just executed it poorly.
Perhaps. I for one quite enjoyed VR4 and repurchased it for pennies to play on my PC. It's quite nice at max graphics/60fps. Good little distraction.

I enjoyed Pikes Peak in dirt Rally 1 too bad we all got robbed of it for Dirt Rally 2 thanks to Sony and PD.

Not to mention GT7 is on life support which means will never see Pikes Peak in the game itself.

Imagine locking away a licence not even using it. Not to mention GT7 even barely has any proper hill climb cars apart from the Escudo even if they release pikes peak it will not even come with hillclimb cars.
It's shocking tbh. If a company pays for exclusive use then there should be a clause that they have to do something with it. Locking it away does nothing to promote PP or the sport of hill climb and Motorsport.

Last edited:
It's shocking tbh. If a company pays for exclusive use then there should be a clause that they have to do something with it. Locking it away does nothing to promote PP or the sport of hill climb and Motorsport.
Owners of PP dont care because they are getting that money.

I hope they are happy with their choices. While fans like us miss out on enjoying pikes peak in racing games.

There’s some stages with steep inclines which I’m sure will fill that gap. Haven’t checked but if there’s a tarmac one in there then good.

There’s some stages with steep inclines which I’m sure will fill that gap. Haven’t checked but if there’s a tarmac one in there then good.
I guess it's time to start eyeballing the elevation stat for stages with big numbers.

I’m reading everywhere that unreal engine will ruin the game as it is not optimized for racing titles… but if i remember well assetto corsa competizione is running with unreal and it is the best simulator out there.

Too many people don’t understand game engines and how they can be used. It doesn’t need to be optimised for racing titles when it’s purely the visual engine being used. They’re utilising unreal just for the visuals with the Dirt physics engine being bolted on underneath, would likely have been the first thing Codemasters tried to do before switching otherwise it would have been a very different story.

Like you say as well, I don’t think ACC suffers from being on Unreal. Just from a slightly wonky and long winded console port.
This was one of my few worries as well (Unreal performance), although it is worth noting that comparing ACC to EA WRC is akin to apples and bananas in that regard (closed circuit racing, multiple cars on track vs point to point time trial).

One other game/sim that I have dabbled in occasionally which utilises Unreal 4 (I believe) is Train Sim World and that definitely has had issues over its various iterations. It's more of a problem on high-speed routes, however I did notice that once you exceed 90mph the pre-rendering of the route ahead occasionally causes a noticeable blip/freeze for a moment, which only gets more noticeable the quicker you end up travelling... and that's an issue they never managed to really address, even if you were using top of the line hardware.

Granted, it could solely be an issue on their end (PBKAC) and if EA have successfully married the previous Dirt engine to UR4/5 it probably won't even be a factor (hopefully!).

Hello!

Super excited for the game, excellent car list.

I was hoping the F2 Nissan Sunny GTI made it since it was recorded by Codemasters. Any ideas why it wasn't included? was teased for Dirt Rally 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Also the 240z is gone :(

But still excited :)

Sometimes even if you record a car you can’t get it in the game. In fact I don’t think there are any Nissans or Datsuns in the final car list.

Seems you can't build a rwd car? Shame if so.
Can it be historic style car or just a modern type one with variations?
Unless I'm mistaken, and I very much hope I am, Builder mode cars must conform to Junior WRC, WRC2 or Rally 1 spec from the looks of this selection screen.

Screenshot_20231001_193231_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I hope Rally School is more comprehensive from an instructional point of view than simply "here's a section of track, finish it in this time at this speed using manual gears or whatever".

A pace notes section would be nice. One thing I've never quite mastered is when your co-driver says "two left - cut", how much should you cut by? Do you just treat the corner as if it's not there? I tried doing that in DR 2.0's New England stage and kept running headlong into huge rocks hidden in the undergrowth, lol.

I hope Rally School is more comprehensive from an instructional point of view than simply "here's a section of track, finish it in this time at this speed using manual gears or whatever".

A pace notes section would be nice. One thing I've never quite mastered is when your co-driver says "two left - cut", how much should you cut by? Do you just treat the corner as if it's not there? I tried doing that in DR 2.0's New England stage and kept running headlong into huge rocks hidden in the undergrowth, lol.
I know dem rocks :lol:
The thing is it has been simplified, it should be something like small cut, cut, big cut etc. In real life, the co driver instructions would be a lot more detailed and specific. Pace notes would be good but they'd be limited if the instructions were limited.
However, this feels like a small issue, the game looks to be so expansive it is shaping up to be a treat 👍

I know dem rocks :lol:
The thing is it has been simplified, it should be something like small cut, cut, big cut etc. In real life, the co driver instructions would be a lot more detailed and specific. Pace notes would be good but they'd be limited if the instructions were limited.
However, this feels like a small issue, the game looks to be so expansive it is shaping up to be a treat 👍
They did use small cut and big cut in Dirt Rally 2.0 as well. Truth to tell those were easier to take with confidence for me. It's the medium cuts I got wrong. There's no substitute for stage experience though, it's just that my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be and... who are you all again?

Anyway, perhaps the fact that they have two different sets of pace notes per track might enable CM to go all out with the complexity on the pro version of the notes.

Last edited:
Seems you can't build a rwd car? Shame if so.
Can it be historic style car or just a modern type one with variations?

Unless I'm mistaken, and I very much hope I am, Builder mode cars must conform to Junior WRC, WRC2 or Rally 1 spec from the looks of this selection screen.

View attachment 1291822

Correct, the builder cars are specifically WRC classes. I guess the work involved to be able to build something for every class would be pretty astronomical.

Can do a rear engined car though. 😅

Correct, the builder cars are specifically WRC classes. I guess the work involved to be able to build something for every class would be pretty astronomical.

Can do a rear engined car though. 😅
EA may also have to be careful about licensing on this, as anything would presumably need to be approved by WRC. It might be a lot easier to get a generic car agreed for a licensed rally class.

The colour tones are much more natural than in 2.0 look at the estonia sunset light rain 2mins in, this will make using photo mode much more compelling.
Pre-order is in... I cant wait for 31st October, been back on 2.0 and having a last dance with WRC generations to sharpen up the reflexes in readiness.

Last edited:

Pre-load has started this morning (79.6 gb + 2.6gb day one patch on PS5), im filled with anticipation for this now. Been caning WRC generations as I know it wont get much play after Wednesday, looking forwards to better physics, graphics and an audible! co-driver lol.

Last edited:
First impressions are very favourable, the game's stages are remarkable they have a sense of place and look very realistic. So far have played through Croatia (tarmac) which now feels miles better in terms of traction / physics than the Spanish stage in 2.0 which was practically unusable. Gravel feels crunchy thanks to the haptics and has the grip value that feels spot on on the Chile stage. I took the full Chile stage on and it took just over 30 mins to reach the end (epic!). Im a casual driver (have the settings on 4 for stability TC & ABS with the dual shock as controller), I can attest this game is accessible for all this time around. For me 2.0 was a bit too demanding and needed a lot of controller setting fettling between the different surface types, but with WRC it feels right from the get go so props to the team for dialling this in. The co-driver pace notes are timed better than 2.0 which is a massive improvement, and are easily audible. You can buy this game with confidence it truly is the best rally game on PS5 to date, im delighted with it.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone uses this thread any more. If it can't be merged, maybe we should just let it die a natural death.

Back