Official WRC Series Returns: EA Sports WRC, to Launch November 3 on PC & New-Gen Consoles

• Thread starter Famine
  • 207 comments
It depends on what you like to be honest.

If you are a rally cross fan or a hillclimb fan expect to be disappointed. Rally fans especially both new and old shall rejoice getting lots of rally stages lots of new and old cars.
I don't care that much for rallycross. It always felt like a strange addition to DiRT Rally 1 and 2.

If you are a rally cross fan or a hillclimb fan expect to be disappointed. Rally fans especially both new and old shall rejoice getting lots of rally stages lots of new and old cars.
I don't think anybody buying a game called WRC would be expecting any other totally different disciplines, it would be like buying F1 and wondering where the touring cars were hiding.

Ok so what difference is there between this and WRC Generations other than the 2023 car roster and created by EA rather than Kylotton?

The only disappointment with the car list is no Celica's or Corolla, I was hoping that now CM have the official license that this might have made this possible, after they were in Kt's last game. I wonder why not ?

Ok so what difference is there between this and WRC Generations other than the 2023 car roster and created by EA rather than Kylotton?
Probably best answered by comparing Generarions to DiRT Rally 2.0 but in short:

• Way more classic cars
  • Stages in DiRT Rally 2.0 were replicas of real roads (in Generations they were semi fictional)
  • More authentic and challenging handling (though tarmac in DiRT Rally 2.0 was a weak point, and has been improved in WRC)
EA SPORTS WRC will have Deep Dive videos coming soon that detail everything about the game.

The only disappointment with the car list is no Celica's or Corolla, I was hoping that now CM have the official license that this might have made this possible, after they were in Kt's last game. I wonder why not ?
Anything outside of WRC, WRC2 and Junior WRC needs to be licensed individually with the manufacturer. Sometimes a studio and an OEM come to an agreement, sometimes they don’t.

Last edited:

• Way more classic cars
  • Stages in DiRT Rally 2.0 were replicas of real roads (in Generations they were semi fictional)
  • More authentic and challenging handling (though tarmac in DiRT Rally 2.0 was a weak point, and has been improved in WRC)
EA SPORTS WRC will have Deep Dive videos coming soon that detail everything about the game.

Anything outside of WRC, WRC2 and Junior WRC needs to be licensed individually with the manufacturer. Sometimes a studio and an OEM come to an agreement, sometimes they don’t.
That's fair enough, but could you shed any light on why Toyota seem so reluctant to have their history represented so well in such a wonderful game ?

That's fair enough, but could you shed any light on why Toyota seem so reluctant to have their history represented so well in such a wonderful game ?

I think there’s always been difficulty for EA specifically in licensing Toyota. They don’t appear in need for speed either. I’m sure it was something to do with their cars being depicted in illegal street racing or something.

• Way more classic cars

That answers the question before people start saying they have the Wrc Toyota Yaris how could they not get Toyota.

Toyota has been missing since Dirt 3. I dont believe Codemasters should be blamed its all on Toyota.

Maybe Toyota are one of the manufacturers who don't like their cars being shown damaged in games? Do they still own the complete image rights for other brands that use their models, can the new Mazda 2 be a route to get the Yaris is any game, or Subaru BRZ for their GT86?

Maybe Toyota are one of the manufacturers who don't like their cars being shown damaged in games? Do they still own the complete image rights for other brands that use their models, can the new Mazda 2 be a route to get the Yaris is any game, or Subaru BRZ for their GT86?

The Yaris is there already as it’s part of the WRC licensing. I don’t think there are many ways around getting things like the Celica and Corolla in. SLRE had Toyotas and WRCG/10 did as well, both those games feature damage. I’m pretty sure this is EA specific at this point.

Last edited:
Will finally be coming home thanks to the livery editor...
🥲
68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f346d64563261562e6a7067.jpg

Last edited:

Rally Cross cars cut. If you are going to get EA wrc for rallycross you will be disappointed.

Rally GT is omitted. All I know is that the Porsche 911 GT3 did rally I dont think the BMW, Camaro or the Aston Martin did rally. Dirt 3 also had the BMW Z4 M coupe which also did not do rally.

Datsun did not make it for anybody wondering while as always with new releases you will get cuts so this is expected.

FIA rally cross and WRC are separate licences. Gaining the wrc licence does not mean you get everything.
Personally I think I'll miss the 240Z more than the Rally GT cars. And a Celica would've been nice of course. The RWD 911 and Zagato were fun in DR 2.0 though.

Last edited:

Contributing your own money is not going help licensing costs.

It’s not going to cover:
  • Potential royalties over a game’s life cycle
  • Sourcing a car for scanning and recording
  • Making the car
  • Implementing the car into a game
  • Negotiating marketing rights for that car
  • Securing all the above for the livery and sponsors on the car
Also, if the manufacturer says no, all of the above is a moot point regardless. There are some cars an OEM will never give a game developer access to, simply because said OEM no longer wants to promote those cars from their history.

Getting a car into a game is not as easy as going to Tesco and saying “I’ll have one rally car please”, sometimes it’s a negotiation and development process that takes years.

Case in point, the last time the Seat Cordoba was in a Codemasters game was 23 years ago.

Last edited:
It’s not going to cover:
  • Making the car
Also, if the manufacturer says no, all of the above is a moot point regardless. There are some cars an OEM will never give a game developer access to, simply because said OEM no longer wants to promote those cars from their history.

Getting a car into a game is not as easy as going to Tesco and saying “I’ll have one rally car please”, sometimes it’s a negotiation and development process that takes years.

Case in point, the last time the Seat Cordoba was in a Codemasters game was 23 years ago.
Its like jumping through hoops just to bring cars and brands into a game.

You have many brands who are fine ongoing onboard with the project then there is many who simply say no.

Licences expire then you have issues of certain brands getting defunct. There is also the issue of alcohol and tobacco companies as sponsors in the old cars which warrant certain liveries being changed or even discarded.

Game Developers and Publishers go through a lot just to bring our favourite cars and brands into our racing games.

People will say how about putting fictional ones but it does not cut it for a lot of people who prefer a immersive experience with real brands.

It’s not going to cover:
  • Making the car

I just got some funny looks in Tesco's... :lol:

Definitely got in the rally mood yesterday at the Kop Hill Climb 👍
Kop Hill Climb rally cars (sorry for the double post but car category is separate and also there's the photo upload limit):
View attachment 1287782View attachment 1287784View attachment 1287785View attachment 1287786View attachment 1287787View attachment 1287788View attachment 1287789View attachment 1287790
And as there's one in EA WRC car list, the Hillman Avenger :D
View attachment 1287791

I deal with licensing in my job, and even if you get the license, some of the restrictions seem crazy at times to me; no taglines from posters :confused: or you can't show any gore or the 'monster' hurt even if it's from the films themselves. Although as a horror fan it was a badge of honor when I got censored by a HUGE film studio one time - oh you found some stills now we've sourced our own :lol:

Mostly a car list overview but it leads off with some news about Moments and some brief speculation on the remaining tracks:

Last edited:
Honestly im surprised that Group B rally cars are featured in racing games.

Group B despite being the golden days of rally was also dark with the numerous fatalities.

Due to the numerous fatalities you would perhaps see some resistance in putting these cars.

Then again Motorsport will always be a dangerous sport no matter what. Its much more safer today due to technology along with rules and regulations. But still death can happen at any moment in the sport.

Back