Old film, recently developed ...

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 15 comments
United States
Everywhere
I have a bad habbit of letting completed rolls of film sit for ... months apparently. I found a roll of film that was from my trip back in May / June of 2004 (egad!) and also some rolls that are fairly more recent - only as far back as October ... what is with me? The newest was from January, so at least it was this year.

Here are two. More to come as I scan them.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 42
  • swing.jpg
    swing.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 64
Last two for the night. I didn't really find much else from these rolls of film that I care to share with GTPlanet, but maybe I'll work up some of my older photography and add it to this thread.

Attachments

• grand_canyon.jpg
    grand_canyon.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 46
  • rose.jpg
    rose.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 35
what camera/lens do you have/did you use.

you can always tell a good lens from an average one. or did you blur it on purpose? (for the rose)

LoudMusic
I have a bad habbit of letting completed rolls of film sit for ... months apparently. I found a roll of film that was from my trip back in May / June of 2004 (egad!) and also some rolls that are fairly more recent - only as far back as October ... what is with me? The newest was from January, so at least it was this year.

Here are two. More to come as I scan them.

The swings are most definetley the best. Great shot!

Omnis
what camera/lens do you have/did you use.

you can always tell a good lens from an average one. or did you blur it on purpose? (for the rose)

I have a Nikon N80 with whatever Nikon lense is usually packaged with it. I believe a 35 - 70 or some such. The way you get that "blur" or out-of-focus area is to use as long a focal length as possible. That way your focal range is as short as possible and just a few inches more of depth will cause the image to be out of focus.

Thanks again for the possitive comments (:

I agree with everyone else, the swings are the best. I like the flower shot too, there's something about it that hits me the right way.

No camera really beats a film camera with manual settings for the focus, apature, and shutter speed. I'm definately a fan of purely manual cameras. Sorry to all of the digital fanboys out there (I'm really not, but we'll just pretend I am sorry), but digital is a fad, and it's not nearly as good as everyone makes it out to be. Your computer crashed and you don't have any pictures any more? Oh well. I'd take my chances of my house burning down over my computer crashing (or my hard drive, if I'm using Linux or Apple, since I've managed to save a lot of different very valuable files from crashed computers by using some rescue utils that run off of Linux).

Uh, ok. I just make backups. But to each his own.

Digital is no "fad" my friend. Every professional photographer that my company hires uses purely digital now.

Cheap
Fast
Reliable
Easy

Come on, what's not to like? And with cameras like the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, there's no need for film. It actually has HIGHER QUALITY than 35mm.

LoudMusic
Uh, ok. I just make backups. But to each his own.

Digital is no "fad" my friend. Every professional photographer that my company hires uses purely digital now.

Cheap
Fast
Reliable
Easy

Come on, what's not to like? And with cameras like the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, there's no need for film. It actually has HIGHER QUALITY than 35mm.

Then maybe I'm just old-schooled. Despite how much I like computers and everything, I'm still more attracted to darkroom stuff, and being able to then scan whatever I need to photoshop. I find it gives more ability to the artist. But hey, to each his own.

If your end result is on the computer, you should use digital from start to finish.

Personally I like film better. But I'm prepaired to pay the higher costs and wait longer for the outcome. Film and photopaper are just hard to beat.

But digital photography is taking over. I give it another five to ten years before places like Wal-Mart and Best Buy have close to no film support.

I'm currently in the best of both worlds, shooting in film and digital. I have to say, nothing compares to the digital darkroom called Photoshop. There's ALOT of other reasons why I love digital, but I can understand and appreciate shooting with film. If you're taking your film images and scanning them so they can be edited digitally, go buy a high end SLR (provided you have the deep pockets to pay for these expensive beauties). Once you really learn the ins and outs of a digital camera, you'll see it has everything and anything you could ever want. I know that's how I felt when I got mine. Either way, do what you do best. Like you guys said, to each his own.

Back