I've had a couple.

My old 1959 'lowlight' Karmann Ghia a.k.a The Zombie:

154381_1567481200270_1632642656_1325506_1983417_n.jpg

154318_1567487840436_1632642656_1325524_6498165_n.jpg

154381_1567481160269_1632642656_1325505_7091780_n.jpg

My old 1967 Beetle:

front4.jpg

bug6.jpg

As someone who owned an old VW Fox (known as the Gol elsewhere), I've maintained my soft spot for them all these years on. Although I had a coupe, I would do just about anything for a well-maintained Wagon.

90foxwagon.jpg

No matter how hard I ran my coupe, 32 MPG. I could do almost all of the repairs in my driveway, and I could take parts off the other VWs, and they'd work just fine. A brilliant car.

Soon or later, I will buy a Volkswagen Kever (old Beetle), and rat-style the heck out of it!

2855665734_36c41f4303.jpg

My dad said he used to own an old bug.
He said that 85% of the mileage was from him pushing it. :)
His friend had a VW Bus. They had to draft a semi truck everytime they got on the free way so they could reach 60 mph.

Nice to see some more classic VW fans here!
Aircooled VW's have always been my favorite cars. My family currently owns '63 Beetle and a '74 Microbus.

march282010010.jpg

photorp.jpg

Sick rides. I love slammed busses, I think they're funny (in a good way). I would like to stay in the scene but in a couple more years I'm selling the B6 and getting an e60 M5

Love bugs. Keep meaning to buy one and slap a propane tank in it, but availability and finances never seem to meet at the happy medium.

My dad wanted a project to do while I was at school, so he decided to rebuild the front axle since it was getting pretty bad. Turns out, one of the bushings was bad so the arm was banging around the inside of the tube! Had to buy a new front beam for it. :dunce:

I really want an old Bug as my first toy car. They are everywhere, relatively cheap and easy to modify the heck out of it. I really hope to get one more or less soon. And that Karman Ghia is stupid am azing. Post the other pictures, dude. The interior is something to be seen.

I've always loved the VWs, never owned one though. Really, I feel like the SP2 has to be the coolest looking. No word on reliability or anything, but it's just so cool looking! Aircooled too!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have considered a Scirocco as an actual purchase. Anyone care to talk me in or out of it?

I think i already said it once, but that ghia is one of the best i saw, and I was at show&shine's in Germany, so i saw some to compare too.

I personally never own a VW, but my dad had a Golf 2 some years ago, had/have plenty of friends with VW.
I am more of an Audi guy.
But on the older VW, there a the typical : VW bus (t1 & t2), the ghias, beetles...
But i dig the golf 2 rally
volkswagen_golf_rallye_1989_01_s.jpg

Hard to find.

@Crox: It's Käfer (bug) not kever ;)
HAckr: never heard of Sp2, after some wiki, now i know. Looks gorgeous, a hybrid of the scirocco and the 944

I always wondered if a karman would look good slammed. now I know.

Volks are few and far between, now, in my area. I know of one Beetle, a single 2nd gen Jetta, what looks like a Jetta 3 WAGON, and a long time ago, i saw a Rabbit Diesel pickup.

I really want an old Bug as my first toy car. They are everywhere, relatively cheap and easy to modify the heck out of it. I really hope to get one more or less soon. And that Karman Ghia is stupid am azing. Post the other pictures, dude. The interior is something to be seen.

That's awesome, Here in India they keep getting more expensive as theres a big demand for them and not many around in good condition, You can't can't even import them because they're more then 3 years old :grumpy:

HACKr
I've always loved the VWs, never owned one though. Really, I feel like the SP2 has to be the coolest looking. No word on reliability or anything, but it's just so cool looking! Aircooled too!
http://img405.imageshack.us/i/sp2006.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have considered a Scirocco as an actual purchase. Anyone care to talk me in or out of it?

The SP2 is awesome and considerably cheap if you are lucky enough to ever find one. I'm planning to buy a classic car next year and the SP2 is the first choice, however, a Karmann is easier to restore and draws much more attention.

heym BuickGNx is right, that's a Pontiac LeMans...i thought that was a Korean, though...

That's awesome, Here in India they keep getting more expensive as theres a big demand for them and not many around in good condition, You can't can't even import them because they're more then 3 years old :grumpy:
Hard to find one in the U.S. too. They're not expensive as far as classic cars go, but they DO command a good bit more than they're worth, (most runners run from $5000 to $8000) and around here, the one thing to look at is Floorpan, Floorpan, Floorpan. Beetles and variants thereof tend to be notorious for these rusting through.

OgAAAKPECUcx5qeQPWolABo3JueyZLj-MsNPtuPpq7TiATzP83rgvGNEkjzHRsZQn8f1diDTj-zUIyJ7e7ez49t5UuoAm1T1UF-hbh-d5fIu5cFEdnNwA-YoK3Mp.jpg

VW Bug Chassis, VW Aircooled 1.6 with two Webber Carburators...It's very fun to drive and it was imported to the US as kits...

The Fox, know as Voyage or Parati (Fox SW) in Brazil is also a great car, it has the 1.8 AP engine, very reliable and cheap to tune, this particulary 1.8L can get to 150HP easily, this engine in Brazil was in the Gol GTS, one of the fastest Gols ever made...And you have the 2.0 AP engine from the Gol GTi, that has 125cv...

If you need parts you can easily import from Brazil, it has everything (Except some details from the U.S. version, like the Side Light Markers)

Last edited:
Source: Top Gear || Would you spend new VW Golf GTI money on a box-fresh Mk1?

The best VW Golf GTI you can buy right now is the Mk7.5 Performance Pack, preferably with a manual gearbox and three doors. It’s got 245bhp, a limited-slip front differential, and carries you aloft a tartan seat from 0-62mph in 6.2 seconds. It’s the quintessential hot hatch. Or is it?

The new Golf GTI can trace its lineage back over three decades, and, of course, seven and a half model generations, to the original Mk1 Golf GTI. Launched at the 1975 Geneva Motor Show, the very first version of the icon boasted 110bhp from its 1.6-litre engine, a dimpled gearknob, and a 0-62mph sprint of around 9.0 seconds.

So, if you had between £28,000 and £32,000 burning a hole in your pocket, you’d obviously buy the new one, wouldn’t you? Okay, it weighs 500kg more than the old-timer, but it’s roomier, safer, and has USB sockets and cupholders. A no-brainer…

Perhaps not. There’s a minty-fresh 1978 Mk1 VW Golf GTI going under the hammer at the H&H Classics Motor Sport auction in Surrey, UK on 5th June 2018. Can you guess what the price estimate is?

VW didn’t officially start importing right-hand drive Golf GTIs into the UK until 1979 – this one’s a left-hooker, and especially early. It’s one of just 22 GTIs that crept over to British shores in 1978, to impatient buyers who couldn’t wait to kickstart the UK’s hot hatchback obsession. It’s a delightful example: it’s just been treated to a full restoration, with everything in “excellent” working order. It’s even got a Volkswagen Museum certificate confirming the factory build date and numbers and so forth. There can’t be many older veteran GTIs than this left in such top nick.

So, we return to our original point. Is the best Golf GTI you can buy right now the latest one? Between £28k and £32k will buy you a very nicely specced new MK7 GTI – but we wouldn’t blame you for being very tempted by its great granddad instead.

That's quite some thread dig...

To answer their question though, no. I like older stuff, but I've driven probably one of the best Mk1 GTIs in the UK and while it was a fun experience and a neat-looking car, it's not the best example of older cars being better than their newer counterparts. Certainly not to the extent where you'd spend new-GTI money on one.

I'd spend new GTi money on a mint Mk 1 if it was a convertible... Though I would probably want it in South African spec or as close as possible.

Last edited:
Back