Oldest cars still common on the roads in your area?

wierd that there aren't W123 Mercs. Those are built to handle deserts
I think they are more common in say Levant or North Africa than Bahrain at this point in time. Can't say for sure but i think W124s, W126s and even the likes of E30s are more "common" than W123's nowadays.

Last edited:
For cars used as daily drivers the oldest common car is probably the Volvo 740. Some 240’s can still be seen now and then but I wouldn’t call them common.

Sadly I haven’t seen a Saab for ages.

There are three Saab 93 convertibles within a couple of miles of my house, and I've seen one on a lot nearby that is in questionable condition. That one has been "customized" with blue lenses on the headlights, among other things. The ones around the neighborhood look really nice, the one on the lot is diseased; I couldn't be given enough money to take it for even a single test drive.

The problem with Benzes made before the 90s dark times came for the brand is that they are tanks, but when tanks break they are extremely expensive and require special parts; whereas some clapped out Cavalier is always a trip to Autozone and a couple hundred bucks away from running basically indefinitely.

Last edited:
wierd that there aren't W123 Mercs. Those are built to handle deserts
That’s true, but the majority of them are over 40 years old at this point. Regardless of its build quality, I wouldn’t expect any car that’s that old to be particularly common on the roads.

The problem with Benzes made before the 90s dark times came for the brand is that they are tanks, but when tanks break they are extremely expensive and require special parts; whereas some clapped out Cavalier is always a trip to Autozone and a couple hundred bucks away from running basically indefinitely.

Speaking of clapped-out Cavaliers...

We have a 2000 Cav as a tech's drive-around car at work. The interior plastic dashboard trim is all completely trashed, billions of pieces of ultra-brittle stuff that you can break with two fingers like a cheap pencil. The gauges work but all the warning lights are always on, and the odometer is gibberish random segments, different every time you turn the car on. The radio works if you can get it turned on, but the volume control is pretty much random as you spin the knob... too quiet, full blast, OK, then full blast again. So leave the radio off. Clock works, though, but you can't see it in bright sun. Exterior, the paint is shot, with clearcoat having bubbled up years and years ago. The basecoat is intact, just not very shiny! The trunk gets wet when it rains, but spraying the car with a hose to find where it comes in results in nothing.

All that said, it starts instantly, every time, stone cold or mid-summer hot... touch the key to start and it's running, no crank crank crank and hope. Transmission is smooth, and the A/C blows cold air! No idea of the mileage... it was approaching 140,000 several years ago when the dash went futzy. Odometer isn't necessary, as Florida has no vehicle inspection, and a ten-year-old or older car doesn't have to keep mileage anyway, you just see "Exempt" on the title, and if sold, no mileage has to be recorded.

Last edited:
That’s true, but the majority of them are over 40 years old at this point. Regardless of its build quality, I wouldn’t expect any car that’s that old to be particularly common on the roads.
What I find wierd is that there aren't any euro cars in general. they're not that bad

EDIT
W123 was overengineered and decent number are rust free, but I noticed the huge drop in their numbers in 2nd half of 00s, at least in my area.

Last edited:
There are multiple reasons why you can't easily find, say a Peugeot 505 or Chrysler New Yorker in Kuwait than a Toyota Crown from the same period. Everything from Dealerships, build quality, sales figure and repair parts to harsh environment, car tastes, owners negligence, current economy, policies and such. It's not necessarily that x car is terrible or anything.

Volvo for example used to be pretty common back in the day but nowadays, it's hard to find a 240 on the road, heck any modern volvo for the matter. Older european cars do exists, mostly german cars tho.

Just a general rule of thumb, most daily driven cars rarely survive beyond 20-30 years of abuse here. If you spot an 80s 560 SL or Datsun 280ZX in clean condition, it's likely a low mileage example imported from the States, Europe or Japan.

Last edited:
Also seen on a regular basis are 2nd generation Ford Explorers (1995-2001):

1997-ford-explorer-1318823-1081706.jpg

Also seen on a regular basis are 2nd generation Ford Explorers (1995-2001):

1997-ford-explorer-1318823-1081706.jpg
There's one exactly that spec a block away from me. That shade of green was quite common on SUVs of the late 90s/early 00s.

Last edited:
Besides the loads of pre-2000 pickups, SUVs, Camrys/Accords/Altimas, Corollas/Civics/Sentras, A-bodies, et cetera...there's not a lot of common-but-unusual old vehicles in Northern Alabama. Pre-1980 US pickups are not rare sights, but not super common on weekdays, they seem to be rolled out on the weekends along with pre-OPEC-age Mustangs and Camaros.

One exception seems to the first-gen Ford Festiva. I'm not sure why, but I feel like I've seen 6-7 different examples in the area. It just makes no sense compared to the usual vehicle-buying habits typical of the region.

800px-1988-1989_Ford_Festiva_--_02-22-2010.jpg

Courtesy of Wikipedia: IFCAR, public domain

Last edited:
Speaking of Toyota Vans, I actually see quite a few 80s Vans (R20 Generation) still kicking around San Francisco - maybe as often as Previas. I don't think I remember seeing any of these weird looking things in the south, midwest, or east coast...they must not have ever sold well in those places. I miss the weird Toyota....I even miss Scion....
They wouldn't survive here because of the rust.

I'm sure 90s Mustangs/Camaros/Firebirds are out there in bigger numbers and I probably don't notice as much.
1994-1998 Mustangs are still going strong though.
The SN95 Mustang might be the only old-ish car I can think of that I'd remotely single out as common on the road in my area, as far as what I notice. That, and maybe fifth gen ('94-'97) Accords. My next car is very likely to be a '98 Cobra, so I read up on that generation of Mustang every now and then, and it does sound like they're incredibly reliable. Cosmetically the build quality is typical '90s American garbage, but it seems Ford just stuck with a tried-and-true recipe for the engine, be it the V6 or V8.

*Ed. - now that I see RVDNuT374's post on the Explorer, I do see those a lot, which also reminds me of all the XJ ('84-'01) Jeep Cherokees I see running around.

Last edited:
Audi a4 b5 1995-1998~ (pre facelift) mostly TDi

Audi-A4-B5-Typ-8D.jpg
Crazy that's a 25yo car. Still one of the most perfectly designed/styled sedans ever. The other being the Accord Euro/Acura TSX.
Both those cars(the Audi might need larger wheels) would look just fine on the showroom floor today. :)

Here's another one I forgot to mention. 1984-1996 Jeep Cherokees (the four-door ones only) are still pretty common. Though, there's not a whole bunch of stock ones around. Despite NJ having very few dirt roads and does not allow vehicles to drive on its sand dunes, off-road modified Jeeps, Cherokees included, are quite common. It's mostly an image thing I guess.

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4×4

Maybe because I live in New England, but the popularity of Subaru models extends to how often I see models from the 1990s, whether it's an older iteration of the Forester or the Impreza. Those are likely the oldest cars that I see relatively often, and in the summer, I see plenty of Mazda Miata variants, whether it's the new ND, or the original NA. Plus, I do see plenty of Mustang Mk.IV models around that same time, and funny enough, it's almost always the "New Edge" facelift ones. That said, I do occasionally see much older cars, like the first-generation Mustang, various MG models, and even an Austin-Healy Sprite from the 1950s!

Last edited:
After some observing, I can confirm the NA Miata is the most common old sports car. I haven't seen any NB Miatas.

One car I didn't list before is the 1st gen CRV. I would say that these 2 qualify to be common in the area. There were also a handful of 1st gen RAV4s.

Though overall, I would say pre-2000s cars are pretty uncommon. I'm guessing most people move on after 10 years max, and if they haven't the cars disintegrate due to rust.

After some observing, I can confirm the NA Miata is the most common old sports car. I haven't seen any NB Miatas.

One car I didn't list before is the 1st gen CRV. I would say that these 2 qualify to be common in the area. There were also a handful of 1st gen RAV4s.

Though overall, I would say pre-2000s cars are pretty uncommon. I'm guessing most people move on after 10 years max, and if they haven't the cars disintegrate due to rust.
I second that. NA Miatas and 1st-gen RAV4s/CRVs are still quite common near me.

I don't remember the source, but a couple months back I saw a headline that the average age of cars that are driven in the US is 13 years old, and the trend is that the number keeps growing larger.

I have an NB Miata, actually the NB's first year, and around here, the NA and NC are both more common than the NB.

To add, yesterday afternoon, saw a young lady driving a red NB. Top down, slammed and on silver BBS 3-piece splits. P-plates, naturally. Very nice car. I think there are an even number of every model MX-5 I see.

1631222904252.png

hmm these and 11s seem to be getting back on roads in my area. Mostly facelifted mid 80s versions. Renault really lost the plot for reliability in 90s, especially in 00s with Laguna mk2. R19 is the last truly reliable Renault. At least rust protection and safety is better.

I remember seeing these as a kid and yet they still show up on the road. 1989-1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, still seem to be on the roads in Maine.
95128211990810.jpg

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned 96-02 3rd gen 4Runners
Yes I agree, they are still relatively common as most of them really haven't went away anywhere. Good reliability combined with a thriving off-road community keeps them from the junkyard.

Don't think I've seen one here, in a long time. It's named the Surf over here. More Hiluxes and Land Cruiser Troop Carriers than old 4Runners.

Back