OMG!!!How do you even control this thing!?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter KiwiBoy
  • 41 comments
  • 2,213 views
smellysocks12
Racing tires is what you need!

What! No you don't!
What you do need though is a good understanding of the track, which will come over time, and a good understanding of how the car handles in certain situations.

I can take the M5 and run in the mid-to-high 7 min. lap times while running N3 tires..in GT mode...and NOT alter/add/adjust anything on the car, leaving it 'bone stock'....times get a tad quicker when using the default Sport Med. tires it comes with...and still have full control over the car while on the track.
 
same here . i prefer Radial tires for most cars. Last time i checked the m5 couldnt pull 2 g's consistantly :)
 
Most races don't allow you to use racing tires, so whats the point of getting it? :dunce:
 
KiwiBoy
Most races don't allow you to use racing tires, so whats the point of getting it? :dunce:

People like racing tyres because its the quick 'n' easy way out. The grip is so great that any bad steering/throttle/brake inputs are hidden. I personally used to hate driving on low-grip tyres, but ive spent an age now driving on N2/N3 (N1 are a little too bad for anything with more than 100bhp). So when I drove a Lister Storm in arcade with R3's, no aids at all, it didnt feel like a nightmare. It was a controllable beast. I mean, it span if you put a wheel on the grass, but then, I imagine any car would at 170mph.

TCS is useful for FF cars (notice that PD have default at 7 for FF, and 5 for any other drivetrain...) and the Cerbera Speed 12. With no TCS, and S2 tyres, a 1080bhp Speed 12 will wheelspin in 6th gear. On R5s, it wheelspins in 4th. That car has such huge torque you need TCS, or you wont go anywhere.
 
does the speed 12 have abs or traction control in real life? most tvr's dont but i dont know about the speed 12.
 
Gabkicks
does the speed 12 have abs or traction control in real life? most tvr's dont but i dont know about the speed 12.

From all accounts, it didn't (doesn't... but they only ever made 1 road-going car... and the racers are out of production now, too...), and it is terrifyingly difficult to control on anything but race slicks... WARM race slicks. Anything more than 1/4 throttle will have you looking at the wrong side of the road in no time flat.

I still haven't found a way to drive this on sports tires without TCS, but I'm pretty sure I can when we get our DFP.
 
Squeeze the throttle, don't jump on it. I reckon if I did a lap in the standard M5 (with sport mediums) with TCS on (at any setting), I could get very close to that time without TCS. Plus, of course, I'd feel happy that I'd achieved the time, not the traction control.
 
Haha... just went back and tried the Speed 12 without TCS again... it's just like the writers at EVO Mag said... you can't use more than 1/4th throttle ANYWHERE on sports tires without shredding the damn things...

Off-topic, I know... but the Speed 12 is good practice for throttle control... which you need on the M5, but only on the very slowest of corners.
 
am i the only person who doesnt think of these cars as being that insanely tricky to drive? Besides the intitial start. asm and tcs will make you slower. they limit the car's potential. its been said a million times.
 
RenesisEvo
People like racing tyres because its the quick 'n' easy way out.
Yep, I am a bit tired of seeing "great" setups for cars where the first step is to equip qualifying racing tyres - that's about where I stop reading.

I have also had great success with the M5 on sports tyres. Brilliant car, can't imagine why anyone would not like it. I think may suffer from the same problem as the McMerc in that it accelerates too quickly for some people, they do not realise how quickly they are going and do not slow down enough causing loss of control.
 
Practice.. i guess that's the best solution..

What is that 1800's 1HP mercedes car again? that thing rocks!!!!!!
 
Back