On to my 3rd bike!

You're crazy if you think
I can afford either of these.
Drove down to Fort Myers with my buddy 3 days ago and picked up my new bike. It's a 2002 SV650. Naked model, converted to naked S model with Vortex clip on bars, street fightery headlight, and plastered in ugly stickers I've already removed lol.

Has a dent in the left side of the tank, I'll pull it out a bit and slap some touch up paint on it. Top triple needs painted again, clutch cable is broken and both tires need replaced. Chain is still questionable but we shall see if it's saveable. Picked it up for 1100, needs $200 in repairs and then I'm on the road!

1512324_10202792523636446_1907008830_n.jpg

1530365_10202792524156459_1530924424_n.jpg

1525731_10202792525516493_789555799_n.jpg

Dig it but that yellow is ew.

I know it's their colors though, so I can't really hate on it.

Haha that was actually a selling point to me. I love yellow bikes. I'm going to be painting the frame, swing arm and forks of this one black, and the belly pan yellow to match. That V-twin rumble :D

Already got tires priced out for $180 to my door. Clutch cable is due in on the 8th. I can mount the tires at work and save a bunch that way.

And I'm painting the wheels either black or yellow... Can't decide :lol: I just remember what a pain in the ass my last set of yellow wheels was to keep clean. So much of a pain I cleaned the wheel like 4 times in 8 months

Purple wheels :sly:

Yellow wheels would look bomb on that actually.

I hate you Floridians and your cheap bikes, I wouldn't be able to find one of those for less than $4k around here. :lol: Sweet bike though, hopefully it holds you in better stead than the Gixxer.

I hate you Floridians and your cheap bikes, I wouldn't be able to find one of those for less than $4k around here. :lol: Sweet bike though, hopefully it holds you in better stead than the Gixxer.

There were only 2 within 2 hours of me for less than 2 grand... I tend to find deals :lol:

I'm hoping it does too. It's ticking all the right boxes so far, but I won't know for sure until I put it on daily duty

Clutch cable arrived, threw it on last night. I'm in love. This thing has torque off idle, and is genuinely fun 0-60 or 20-40, etc. Instant response, no waiting for it to finally make it to it's powerband like my gixxer had. I need to make some ergo asdjustments on the clip ones, they're too far back, I feel like I can't turn with how upright I am and how close they are. Aside from that, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Operation bumblebee is a go. New rear tire and some paint. Black and yellow, she will be. Decided to do black wheels and I'll get yellow wheel stripes. I don't want to have to clean a yellow rear wheel every freaking day of the week!

5617_10202892369972542_2005503580_n.jpg

Well then you're going to love today's work!

1545132_10202949963012332_722656042_n.jpg

1620901_10202949963332340_929083202_n.jpg

1545874_10202949963532345_1008214271_n.jpg

45095_10202949964052358_88252722_n.jpg

1601571_10202949964332365_2068832320_n.jpg

1525697_10202949964652373_1904524842_n.jpg

I'll be doing the front wheel in a week or so... Registered and plated come friday! Just threw a plate my buddy had on the back so I don't get harassed around the neighborhood by cops. Still has some rideability issues at the moment. Need a throttle tube, and more importantly some tuning. I'll get into the carbs more after I get it on the road, need to get a better feel of what's going on

Congrats on the purchase. The black wheel looks a lot better. Looking forward to seeing both wheels painted black.

I've not put 250 miles on it... Registered it 5 days ago lol. And this front end needs to go. Like yesterday. Undersprung, underdamped, lifts a lot under acceleration and dives like a bitch under any front brake at all, like it doesn't even have springs at that point. I knew when I bought it what I was getting into (new spring kit is only $150 for these forks) but it also pulls slightly left... so I'm really leaning towards a GSXR swap

Sprung an oil leak :lol: I believe it's the stator cover. Microfiche will confirm I have the right name, I just know the gasket I need. Not a bad leak... Guess it didn't like running at 80mph for 30 miles on that gasket

That seems common on those, buddies SV1000 did that over this winter, then again he did crash it. :lol:

Get some paint for the tank. ;)

I'll get there.. maybe. The oil pump in my truck took a mini **** today so this may be going away :( Lost oil pressure in the truck going down the road, stopped, somehow it regained pressure 10 minutes later after sitting, but it did some damage to the bearings

Youch, yeah ma buddies silverado loses all pressure once the engine warms. But how do you know that you did some damage and it wasn't a faulty sensor?

There's no sensor for the main bearings on those old 300's. I had one. You can tell. It makes noise, runs a bit funky, and there's a slight knock that will only get worse.

Replace the pump and that engine will run fine and will be driveable. They last forever.

If you repeatedly lose pressure after the pump change, drain the oil again and look for metal. If you hear a lot of clanking and knocking, pull the oil pan and make sure you have piston skirts. I lost mine that way besides hard driving. The last thing you want is large pieces of metal flinging around in there.

Youch, yeah ma buddies silverado loses all pressure once the engine warms. But how do you know that you did some damage and it wasn't a faulty sensor?

I installed a real Oil PSI gauge, and ditched the factory dummy "gauge" that doesn't tell me anything. And heard the motor knocking on the side of the road... And I don't have any knock sensors, or other fancy stuff. MAP sensor, throttle position, coolant sensor, oil pressure sensor and o2 sensors... That's about it

You probably don't have the sports instrumentation package and the factory gauges aren't that reliable. I did the same thing though mine was fully loaded.

It's got a fuel gauge, volt meter, coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. Nothing more!
Yup you got the standard gauges. The sports package got you a tach and a few other little things but most of them aren't reliable and a lot of guys opt for aftermarket. That's what we did.

I have a tach. I've got a Lariat, I've got the gauge cluster with everything in it. I know the one you're talking about and that's not mine :lol:

images

Not my truck, but same cluster. Then I've got a sunpro oil psi gauge up above the left vent on the dash

Ok then yes you have the sports instrumentation package.

For factory ones I have:

Fuel
Temperature
Oil Fullness
Battery Charge
Transmission
Tachometer
Speedometer
Trip Odometer
Standard Odometer

Aftermarket (Suntune and other aftermarket) (located in the dash itself where trucks with A/C had vents, mine doesn't have them)

Temperature
Oil Pressure
Amperage

IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

Last edited:
So I found my electrical problem.... saw a spark off the negative post to the frame, and also saw something under the right side of the tail smoking big time. That fits where the r/r is... looks like I'll tear into it after I get paid. The more miles I can put on the bike the more gas money I s

Bike is up and running very well. Might be gone soon. Got an offer today in trade for a 04 ZX9-R... Those are worth quite a bit more than my SV... could flip that and end up with a pretty new bike fund to go find something nice and dent free with!

I'll trade you my GS for it... :P

You should do it, if only to just ride the ZX9-R around for a while.

Back