On which system will you play PCars2?

• Thread starter CodeCmdr
  • 62 comments

On which system will you play PCars2?

• Total voters
It's there? :)

@IanBell any chance you could get some HDR video footage released, to help me decide whether I should play on a 16:9 4K/HDR TV (PS4), or a super-wide 21:9 non-HDR monitor (PC). There's no HDR PCars2 video footage on YouTube (the ones with "HDR" in the title aren't actually HDR videos).

I have only PS4 and a pre-order on Shopto.uk, so it is very important to me that PS4 version works proper 👍

Implementation of HDR seems to be much more important visually - as stated by people that played GTSport Beta in 1080p and in 4K. They say additional resolution detail is minor its only HDR that brings really worthy difference. And you know that GT will achieve max.visuals on PS4pro better then anyone - yet 4K just seems not that hot, unlike HDR.

So, what is HDR implementation like in pCARS 2? @IanBell
edit: on consoles, ofc.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

PC in glorious detail.

Wish i could upgrade my wheel (G25) and get a VR set, but it´s difficult to do this where i live.

$120 digital deluxe edition with a blue DS4 with thumb grips and an upgraded 2TB PS4 I got in a bundle with Star Wars Battlefront. :D (Gotta get that season pass if I want to start reviewing cars again!)

I blew a lot of pocket change to preorder the deluxe edition, but I have a few weeks to save up for GT Sport too.

Last edited:
@IanBell @The_American

Ian, you had some amazing and heart warming (and well deserved) praises for multiple segments of SMS's development team. Just, maybe one segment was a bit left out. Truly guys and girls in "visual fidelity" department do deserve some directed, high praise as well.

In other threads we had discussion on HDR implementation, so I went reading this current article on "PC GAMER". I guess(?) they know what they are talking about here: http://www.pcgamer.com/is-hdr-worth-the-premium-for-pc-gaming/
People working on HDR element could receive more then

So, what is HDR implementation like in pCARS 2? @IanBell
edit: on consoles, ofc.

It's there? :)

...I think they do deserve a mention as well... Really, if you could write us just 1 or 2 sentences about their HARD work that means HUGE visual improvement for pCARS - that would be amazing 👍

I know you are truly busy @IanBell , but @The_American then could praise them a bit :bowdown:

Seriously! I'll quote just few bits from "PC GAMER" article http://www.pcgamer.com/is-hdr-worth-the-premium-for-pc-gaming/

- In other words, rendering out in HDR isn’t the tricky part—working towards that goal with all your assets from the beginning of the project is.

- But Bouvrais agrees that the real work comes from authoring assets with HDR in mind from the start.

- "HDR is an incredible tool you can use to increase the player’s immersion," says Raulin, "but it’s also very expensive in terms of resourceshuman and graphics." Firstly the team needs to learn how to properly exploit it, and then has to wrestle with the resource cost of "heavier and more numerous textures inputs, lots of light and reflecion probes, longer build times."

- "We need to adapt the production to anything related to lighting, skyboxes, and material rendering," says Raulin. "Then, we also need to take some time to produce and tweak those, but it’s a choice you have to make..."

- Sure, the commercial game engines support HDR output, but can developers working to tight budgets afford the human and resource-based costs mentioned?

So, you can't just "flip the switch" and turn HDR on with assets if they were not created from very beginning with HDR fidelity in mind! If you have HDR, then its production was a big deal on many fronts for your entire company and production process. And someone among you had amazing foresight LOOONG ago when those assets (in fact BEFORE) were created.

You are to be commended for entire vision and process :bowdown:

Please, do come back with at least a couple of sentences on all that, nothing more!

the PC2 website has this as the min'm requirements

Windows 10 (+ specific versions of 7)
Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 3450, 4.0 GHz AMD FX-8350 and

what are the (+ specific versions of 7) I really don't want to use Win10 any ideas ?

cool ...

strange there's no windows 8 in there ?
isnt that a logic thing.
If minimum is i5-3450 and i7-6xxx is recommended, should they also write all cpus inbetween like i5-3470, i5-3490. i5-4570, i5-4590, etc,etc?
Don't think so.
Don't forget, it MUST be 64bit. There is no 32bit version anymore.

Sega Dreamcast
Oh what could have been. They were way ahead. Especially with the controller. I loved choosing my plays on the little screen and playing the mini games.

Imagine a Dreamcast controller today.
Might have a 4"TFT screen that can slide in and out to use as a handheld. Would be cool to use the touch screen, to adjust vehicle settings on the fly, call for pitstop and even watch the race on the TFT, while your bot does a stint during an endurance race. No doubt it would be expensive, but damn cool.

isnt that a logic thing.
If minimum is i5-3450 and i7-6xxx is recommended, should they also write all cpus inbetween like i5-3470, i5-3490. i5-4570, i5-4590, etc,etc?
Don't think so.
Don't forget, it MUST be 64bit. There is no 32bit version anymore.

uhhhhh whose talking CPU

reminds of a joke name three famous Austrians ..... totally unconnected to what we were talking about no logic at all

@IanBell any chance you could get some HDR video footage released, to help me decide whether I should play on a 16:9 4K/HDR TV (PS4), or a super-wide 21:9 non-HDR monitor (PC). There's no HDR PCars2 video footage on YouTube (the ones with "HDR" in the title aren't actually HDR videos).

@CodeCmdr Have you gotten any answers I might have missed? Couple of us asked enough times, so maybe there IS NO HDR in pCARS 2 after all? I mean, I don't know, nothing is said...

@CodeCmdr Have you gotten any answers I might have missed? Couple of us asked enough times, so maybe there IS NO HDR in pCARS 2 after all? I mean, I don't know, nothing is said...

Ian also confirmed that HDR is implemented on consoles, although he didn't go into specifics of how awesome it is. I still haven't seen HDR footage of PCars2, but I guess I can wait for a few more days.

The results of this poll surprised me. I expected way more PC than console players. Since I prefer sitting infront of my TV than my PC monitor, and it seems that PS4 will have an active community, I decided to go for the PS4 version. :D

I'm actually surprised there are so many PC players. If you look at typical sales splits there are usually much more console sales than PC. This has been changing a bit in recent years though.

I'm actually surprised there are so many PC players. If you look at typical sales splits there are usually much more console sales than PC. This has been changing a bit in recent years though.
I was a little surprised at the higher than expected number of PC players. Though I suppose a few of them may have traded up after trying PCARS1 on console (like what happened with me).

You can thank a lot of that on the unsupported wheels at launch of PS4/Xbone. Many, like me deciding to invest in a PC instead of PS4 and new wheel. The lack of backwards compatibility really hurt the consoles at early launch. Left many of us with the option of investing $1000+ into a new console AND new wheel, or investing that same money into a PC for our gaming needs.

You can thank a lot of that on the unsupported wheels at launch of PS4/Xbone. Many, like me deciding to invest in a PC instead of PS4 and new wheel. The lack of backwards compatibility really hurt the consoles at early launch. Left many of us with the option of investing $1000+ into a new console AND new wheel, or investing that same money into a PC for our gaming needs.

Yeah, but thank that to cheapskates of Logitech and Fanatec who just didn't want to pay fees to Immersion (a patent holder for the base of ff tech) not just normal fees to platform holders.

On other hand Trustmaster payed everything that any decent company should so its cutomers can keep using the product they bought from them.

See how all the old wheels work just fine on next gen. That's how Trustmaster quietly exposed them as those others wanted to pretend and to make everyone believe that Sony/MS are bad guys in this.

I praised Logitech wheels for years and owned two, and Fanatec gt3rs - BUT never again will I buy anything from Logitech, from Fanatec maybe one day...

PS4.
And @SlipZtrEm,
I think it's time we get up subforums for PC2 online racing as leagues are starting to develop.
Would be nice to have them tidy together sir.

Yeah, but thank that to cheapskates of Logitech and Fanatec who just didn't want to pay fees to Immersion (a patent holder for the base of ff tech) not just normal fees to platform holders.
IMO, Logitech deserves a special place in hell because the G29 is literally a repackaged G27 sold at todays price. So they didn't even screw us over to sell a new wheel, but the wheel we already had.

So yes, LT is on my blacklist too. ;)

Latest Posts

Back