Online coming alive?

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 353 comments
Many factors may come into play there. I think at least 3:

1. Steering assist given to pad users - Very annoying when you want to steer to full lock and the game doesn't let you because the wheels are trying to maintain/regain grip. Can be good because your steering input is optimized, can be bad because if you brake too late it's very tricky to avoid going off track. That's why the last assist a pad player gives up (when he mastered the game) is the "braking zones" racing line.

2. Deadzone issue combined with FFB strengh and FFB Sensitivity - You are a NTSC player, so you don't have a deadzone as big as I have. But as you know, to keep the deadzone to a minimum, you are forced to have the FFB Strengh and FFB Sensitivity set to "High". This makes all the sudden "kicks" from the wheel (either when gaining / losing grip, or when you forced the rear out and "centered "the car, pointing it in the right direction) quite heavy and difficult to anticipate/counter-react.

3. Throttle modulation - As the steering assist exists and you can see it in your screen (your finger is firmly pressed to steer right, and the wheel keeps going from "slight-right" to full center"), I think some kind of "throttle assist" exists also, because I know I could do - with the pad - some beautiful long slides with cars like the 250 LM or the 365/Competizione, something I find a lot harder to do now with the wheel, even if I am a lot more experienced today than I was in my "first FC career".

EDIT: Biggles, in fact I started my 2nd career in FC still with the pad (my DF broke, I hate GT5P with a pad and that's why I returned to FC until I got the G25 I then ordered. Meanwhile, I kept playing FC even after the G25 arrived :D ).

And you must remember me saying (to you) that I had a lot of trouble to figure out the braking distances in FC (back then I think you and me were the only GTPers playing FC :lol:). At least, I remember you telling me that my difficulty with braking distances was very odd because I was also a Enthusia player.

Last edited:
If one breaks down the quote from Eutechnyx...

Wheels provide a direct input and actually have a lot more control and flexibility than the pad, but because of this require greater skill to extract the maximum from the car.

and

However with a pad, because of the limited range of movement, we have to help the player...

I take this to mean that the wheel is 'potentially' faster than the pad. But it's probably beyond the skill of most in order to extract it.

But anyway, I really didn't intend to raise the old pad vs wheel debate. I just thought it was interesting that Piotr mentioned how competitive he was with the 250TR against Segel. And I noticed myself that I seem to closer to the pace with the classic cars. So I'm guessing it's easier for wheel users to extract the potential from the classics, or harder for the pad users to do so. However one prefers to look at it. :)

So were does that put me, especially after the race we had not long ago with the 250TR witch i won using pad.

That puts you somewhere between the two extreme following categories:

a) awesome driver, 250 TR pad-winner of races, a mix of Jack Brabham, Alan Jones, Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan and Casey Stoner;

....... b), c), d), e) f) .........

z) you suck, considering that you also lost races, with a pad, against wheel drivers, in modern FC cars.

What letter fits you, it's up to you to find out! :lol:

Great racing last night with the 512 S, with GTP_Sausages, Zedux, jjaisli and solidmic. Thanks all, it was great fun!

👍

Many factors may come into play there. I think at least 3:

1. Steering assist given to pad users - Very annoying when you want to steer to full lock and the game doesn't let you because the wheels are trying to maintain/regain grip. Can be good because your steering input is optimized, can be bad because if you brake too late it's very tricky to avoid going off track. That's why the last assist a pad player gives up (when he mastered the game) is the "braking zones" racing line.

2. Deadzone issue combined with FFB strengh and FFB Sensitivity - You are a NTSC player, so you don't have a deadzone as big as I have. But as you know, to keep the deadzone to a minimum, you are forced to have the FFB Strengh and FFB Sensitivity set to "High". This makes all the sudden "kicks" from the wheel (either when gaining / losing grip, or when you forced the rear out and "centered "the car, pointing it in the right direction) quite heavy and difficult to anticipate/counter-react.

3. Throttle modulation - As the steering assist exists and you can see it in your screen (your finger is firmly pressed to steer right, and the wheel keeps going from "slight-right" to full center"), I think some kind of "throttle assist" exists also, because I know I could do - with the pad - some beautiful long slides with cars like the 250 LM or the 365/Competizione, something I find a lot harder to do now with the wheel, even if I am a lot more experienced today than I was in my "first FC career".

EDIT: Biggles, in fact I started my 2nd career in FC still with the pad (my DF broke, I hate GT5P with a pad and that's why I returned to FC until I got the G25 I then ordered. Meanwhile, I kept playing FC even after the G25 arrived :D ).

And you must remember me saying (to you) that I had a lot of trouble to figure out the braking distances in FC (back then I think you and me were the only GTPers playing FC :lol:). At least, I remember you telling me that my difficulty with braking distances was very odd because I was also a Enthusia player.

Its a shame that we can not get the usa patch for the pal version.-

The current NTSC version does still have a noticeable and sizable deadzone. But it was improved. However, I thought the latest patch was out for PAL users. Or do you have to download the DLC in order to get it?

No Jeff, this may be hard for you to take, but you have a game more advanced than I do. Maybe half a second per lap better :D

Check this for details: http://forums.eutechnyx.com/index.php/topic,144.0.html

I was under the impression that the new patch was available and could be downloaded the same time as the DLC.

See here: http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=225&s=1111 At the bottom of the page.

As for the half second a lap...well...you can fertilize your garden with that one. ;)

No, that patch is old, it's just for the guys that never before took their FC game online.

I think you guys have a different number, but I'm not sure.

PS - I already thought that your patch made the FC grass greener in your game ... now I see why :D

I'm baaack baby!

Just had my PS3 returned by courier. Sent it out on Friday, June 5th (went to local repair facility in Whitby, Ontario - about 180 kms from here). Returned to me at 1.00 PM Wednesday, June 10th - that would be 3 business days. Quite impressive!

Hope to be online FC tonight...

Well, online is "still" alive :D got an invite by mhm to his F355 lobby and we were joined by Kurvi. Nice racing, but still the guys were teaching me lessons LOL. Got a consolation win at Infineon wet and drove the Nurburgring in FC for the first time, so you guess the result :dopey:

Ventured online last night for the first time ; received an invite but unsure how FC online works-is there a relevant thread?

Hi. FC online is lobby-based, not much to say about it. If you accept an invite you get directly into the inviter's lobby.

In all other cases you can check the lobby list and check what lobbies are available (private lobbies don't show up in the lobby list). Also, before even entering the lobby you can check what car is being used, what track is active at the time, and what assists are allowed (at least, the racing line assist status is displayed.

You can use headset to talk inside the lobby and once inside you can check all lobby settings (as configured by the host)

Of course you can. Just order it from a shop in the U.K. ;) It takes a week longer but it works fine. There's a rumor that it's going to be sold in the US sometime this Fall but nothing official.

Of course you can. Just order it from a shop in the U.K. ;) It takes a week longer but it works fine. There's a rumor that it's going to be sold in the US sometime this Fall but nothing official.

I've got another question. Can I go to the UK PS store and download the DLC for Ferrari Challenge. And the same question for SCC if I buy the UK version do I have to download the DLC from UK?

You can download the Nurburgring DLC from the UK PSN Store. I have my account on UK (it was actually an error, tried to put US) and i saw the stuff

Be careful about this. Yes you can probably download DLC for Ferrari Challenge from a PAL account but it will NOT WORK with the NTSC version of Ferrari Challenge.

Back