Online Connection/Disco Issues

United States
Humboldt County
ExoSphere64
If there is a better place for this thread to live, please take us there! I need to know more about what could be going on with online connectivity in GT6.

Every Sunday night our league lines up 90+ drivers over 9 divisions. ( = 9 lounges / average of 10+ in every lounge. ) We have accepted the "normal" online gremlins that carried over from GT5. What we have been experiencing is catastrophic room failures, not being able to find friends only rooms and mass discos. The problems keep going.

The S.N.A.I.L. league has been having huge issues with our races staying online. Are any of the other organizations having the same problem? Any input or ideas may help us figure out what to do about it...

Last edited:
There is a way around the friends room problem, which only seems with happen to "friends rooms only" check box. If it is a league race, I do a manual search for the track and skid off and by whatever features you can limit it. That is an almost foolproof way of finding the room. Even friends only rooms will show up in the main search.

As for the random connection problems, it's pretty much widespread. Best bet is for everyone to clear their cache and reboot their systems before joining the room. It has helped the league in which I have run.

There is a way around the friends room problem, which only seems with happen to "friends rooms only" check box. If it is a league race, I do a manual search for the track and skid off and by whatever features you can limit it. That is an almost foolproof way of finding the room. Even friends only rooms will show up in the main search.

As for the random connection problems, it's pretty much widespread. Best bet is for everyone to clear their cache and reboot their systems before joining the room. It has helped the league in which I have run.

Thank you... You are familiar with the SNAIL gang. It is pretty much mandatory for everyone to power cycle everything from modem to PS3 and clear caches before race time. My two biggest questions are: Is everyone having the same problem, if so, put together some kind of mass message to get a fix on the front burner, or, is our league contributing to the problem? It shouldn't be a problem but is dumping almost a 100 users on the server all at one time causing more issues?

I clear my cache, shut down every device that uses my network, reboot both modem and router and last night, disabled my wifi, 20-30 minutes before Sunday night racing begins. This limits network issues from my end. It does not however, have anything to do with a complete meltdown of 9 rooms, running in both friends only and open lobby, that we experienced this past Sunday. At approximately 10:55pm Eastern, every room imploded. Every host and backup host tried multiple times to get their respective rooms up and running again. Less than half the league could keep a room stable for long enough to run our qualifying sessions, let alone race. If it was just one or two rooms and/or 10 percent of the players, I could agree with the clearing cache and rebooting network equipment for each individual would help. In last Sunday's case however, nothing helped. It was a total and complete bust. Some divisions didn't get 4 races done, one, maybe two divisions managed to complete all 6. If they did they lost at least 40% of the drivers they started with. When the quake started, in my division alone 4 out of 9 drivers dropped all at the same time.

There is absolutely no way I will consider buying GT7 + a PS4 + a monthly online subscription, when 7 releases. At this point I'm not sure that I wouldn't be better served spending that money on an iRacing rig.

Same problem here, we tried to race on sunday but the connection simply didn't hold up! We try with several Host but with the same results, couldnt complete even a 15 lap race :ill:. Also we always set the room quality to "Very High", it provides better physics, and less understeer!!

Same problem here, we tried to race on sunday but the connection simply didn't hold up! We try with several Host but with the same results, couldnt complete even a 15 lap race :ill:. Also we always set the room quality to "Very High", it provides better physics, and less understeer!!

I was afraid of that. The population of GTP is significant... Power in numbers?

Well, I wasn't having too many online issues until my router decided to bugger things up with its mindset of 'I like reverting to NAT Type 3 for :censored:s and gigs"

I clear my cache, shut down every device that uses my network, reboot both modem and router and last night, disabled my wifi, 20-30 minutes before Sunday night racing begins. This limits network issues from my end. It does not however, have anything to do with a complete meltdown of 9 rooms, running in both friends only and open lobby, that we experienced this past Sunday.

Sounds like you're doing everything you can.

At approximately 10:55pm Eastern, every room imploded. Every host and backup host tried multiple times to get their respective rooms up and running again. Less than half the league could keep a room stable for long enough to run our qualifying sessions, let alone race. If it was just one or two rooms and/or 10 percent of the players, I could agree with the clearing cache and rebooting network equipment for each individual would help. In last Sunday's case however, nothing helped. It was a total and complete bust.

Yea, I've seen that happen on mass scale quite a few times. That is all on the GT server side. I dont think that an extra 100 player would really do that, but its just that SO MANY series are run at about the same time on sundays that the servers are having difficulties maintaining their usual mediocre reliability. I can say that our series, with only 7 people in it running at the same time as yours did not suffer the same fate. Guess it's kind of a crap shoot :/

Am glad that others are having the same issues as us (not glad that its happening, but glad that i know its not JUST us)

Our Australian League runs 6 divisions on a sunday night, about 70 odd drivers. We have been having issues with mass dumpings etc, affecting different drivers each week. Last week i was the host and was dumped, 9 laps into our 39 lap Bathurst enduro. The game has been freezing, loss of sound etc.....

I fear it wont be long to the PD apologists come running in saying that your connections are crap and its an issue at your end, not theirs, because they have been racing for the last 7 years without a single disconnect. :rolleyes:

The hosts for our rooms have strong, "nat type 2, high bandwidth" connections, yet we still have issues, that to be honest, drive some of our members away. Different drivers each week says to me its an issue at their end.

Talk about frustrating !

Perhaps there are too many like me, the "plug and play" brigade, that continue to hope for the game and its issues to get sorted in the name of racing nirvana ?

We live in hope, but for how long ?

EDIT : have changed my typo stating that i actually have a Type 2 connection. I originally posted type 3. Apologies.

Last edited:
I tried to start an online room for some tire testing Sunday night - because the only way to test tire wear is online - and after getting disconnected 3-4 times after only 1-2 minutes I finally gave up. I did have the room set to friends only, because I wanted to practice by myself. :banghead::ouch: 👎:grumpy:👎

I guess I should try setting the room open to all and just hope no one joins? How lame, PD. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The hosts for our rooms have strong, "nat type 3, high bandwidth" connections, yet we still have issues, that to be honest, drive some of our members away. Different drivers each week says to me its an issue at their end.
Woah, slow down there; do you mean NAT type 3 or do you really mean NAT type 1? NAT type 3 involves a very strict firewall and is terrible for online racing, everyone is bound to be disconnected at some point, if they can even join the race. NAT type 1 is an unrestricted connection, the ideal goal for online racing; type 2 is also fine.

Pretty much everyone is having online issues. It forced iamsupernasty to completely cancel his SEC season 3 league I was a part of, and I have put any future Formula D seasons on indefinite hold until PD addresses the issues.

It's pretty sad, not only that these issues exist in the first place, but furthermore they haven't been addressed yet, almost 4 months after release.

I joined Sunday's VCRC event with 10 total in the room. Couple of guys said they couldn't see some of the others. Most of us, including me, left and rejoined. When I came back I could see 7/10. Rinse and repeat and I could see 8/10 on track. Someone left and I think I ended up at 7/9 or 6/8. That did happen in GT5 but for the most part I had few connectivity issue or conflicts with other players after the first few months of the game. Can't seem to enter any lobbies now without some kind of issue.

I race online too. The problem is people are running NAT 3 and don't even know it. I had to explain to someone how to change to NAT 2. Once he did he was fine after that.If you read the above links I posted, it explains quite clearly what is happening.

Here is a link for people not familiar with their routers and how to maybe fix some of their problems online.I'm not responsible if you mess it up.Please read "If you do not know exactly what you are doing or are having problems", Start Here.

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PlayStation_Network/

Last edited:
I've done the whole static IP/port forwarding thing for my PS3 and GT5. It didn't appear to help much and at one point I was getting DCed after I'd done all that, so, I disabled the port forwarding and set the PS3 to auto for network settings and everything started working again.

NAT 1 = PS3 connected to modem.
NAT 2 = PS3 connected to router
NAT 3 = PS3 behind firewall.

SORRY, I meant to say type 2.

Note to self, always proof read any post. !!

Have always been type 2, with a high bandwidth.

this week has been HOPELESS in terms of staying connected to the GT6 servers. As it has been for a lot of my Australian counterparts.

Apologies for my typo.

Well make sure someone is not on NAT 3. Also wireless connections are interfered by laptops, cell phones and other devices too.Don't have a host only room ,because if he gets disco,the whole room goes down.

Used to have the exact same problems every Sunday night in Tam, 26 drivers in 2 leagues and always issues which meant races never got started on time. Finally got fed up at the end of our last season and went onto pc to end the gt6 nightmare.

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems we have all resorted to some form of witchcraft to keep our races together. I knew the truth from the beginning but had to get some documentation of what we all have feared. It all boils down to GT6 being broken. I hope this thread stays alive to continue documenting the online issues we have had to endure. If for nothing else, when (and if ) we find a way to get a message to PD as to how important the online side of GT6 is to all of us, having a large file of testimonies may help show how important this fix is.

Disco: that irritating flickery sky you see between races.
Yes, that is annoying, but why don't you describe the smooth WRS races that you took part in today? Full-ish rooms with hour-long races *are* happening in GT6...

Not trying to argue and say there aren't problems, but we've had a good 4 to 6 weeks of full-ish room racing with minimal network issues. That said, I think we've been pretty lucky. :ouch:

Yes, that is annoying, but why don't you describe the smooth WRS races that you took part in today? Full-ish rooms with hour-long races *are* happening in GT6...

Not trying to argue and say there aren't problems, but we've had a good 4 to 6 weeks of full-ish room racing with minimal network issues. That said, I think we've been pretty lucky. :ouch:

Is jealousy a bad thing ?

We constantly have issues here in oz. A few weeks of good stuff followed by a few weeks of random drop outs and freezing. One of our guys has a download of 15 mbps and an upload of 8 but he has the most issues. Tried different routers / modems / settings all to no avail.

So frustrating.........

Had a few good races last night in a full lobby, until we hit Bathurst. First the sound started cutting in and out after a lap which isn't unusual. Then it went completely after 2 laps or so. Tried to quit the race and the PS3 completely died and I had to reboot to get going again. Typical race at Bathurst for me.

Had a few good races last night in a full lobby, until we hit Bathurst. First the sound started cutting in and out after a lap which isn't unusual. Then it went completely after 2 laps or so. Tried to quit the race and the PS3 completely died and I had to reboot to get going again. Typical race at Bathurst for me.
Typical for most people i think Johnny.

We had big issues also on our forum when we tried to start a GT500 event but decided not to start anything with all the online connection issues happening.

It's a shame as about 70% of drivers left our forum for iRacing and other games untill PD gets around to fix this. So curently every racing series is on hold on the forum and I find it hard to believe everyone will rejoin after PD gets around to fix the online mode. I myself didn't drive GT6 for about 5 weeks now...

Back