Online dos and donts

• Thread starter kingcars
  • 35 comments
kingcars
Last night I finally got to play online mode in GT5P, and after a little while, I quickly found out that quick lap times have little to do with winning a race. So in this post, I will be going through the dos and donts of racing online in Gran Turismo. I will use simple examples as well, using the simplest track in the game (daytona), to make sure everything is clear. Without further ado, here's the list:

Be patient
This is rule #1 and is pretty much linked to every other rule in this short list. When you're coming up on people, just because you have a run on them doesnt mean you should take the pass. Avoid using bad racing lines to get past people. Like if you come flying up on a guy running down low into turn 3 at Daytona and you're right behind him, dont dart up the track to get around him, as your car will likely wash right up into the wall. Instead, either follow him around and get him down the front stretch, or come into turn 3 from up high and run the middle or high line. You'll need to know your car's limits to determine when to do what. When you patiently weed through the bad drivers and rammers and get into the top 5 or 3, you should be in the company of good drivers and then you can finally show off your driving skills in a good hard fought battle with other good drivers.

When you're off the pace, DO NOT drive in the racing line
I have seen this a hundred times already. Someone will wreck, go into ghost mode, yada yada yada. But then that person, doing maybe 100kph, will just go back into the racing line only to get smashed by people when they're no longer a ghost. When you wreck, stay out of the racing line as much as possible. At Daytona, this means running around the apron (below the yellow line).

Know how to deal with rammers and bad drivers
When I start dead last at Daytona, I just lay back and watch the wrecks fly. Make sure you pay attention to where cars are spinning and what part of the track they'll be at when you reach them. Also, remember that it's better to slow down and dodge a wreck then to go in flat out and smash into people. When I see someone that is ramming, I try to find ways around them that will prevent them from ramming me. One good way is to pass them on the inside of the turns, not the outside. If you're on the outside, thats just opening yourself up to a bad wall ram. However, passing on the inside makes it pretty much impossible for the rammer to get a good hit on you. Another good way to pass rammers is to slingshot them big time down a straight away and wait till the last possible second to pull out for the pass so they cant block you.

As for bad drivers, there are ways to deal with them too. If someone is flying up behind you and they have tons of momentum going into a turn, stay up high and float into the corner, tapping the brake if needed. They'll just sail into the corner and wash up, leaving the bottom of the track wide open for you to dive down and walk on by. Also, if you dont feel safe passing someone in a turn, either give them LOTS of room or wait till you can make a quick pass.

Dont force the issue
When 2 or more people are ahead of you battling for a spot, it's a much better idea to sit back and watch the battle unfold instead of diving right in. Wait for them to make a mistake or open a hole for you to dart through. Chances are, they'll nudge each other and lose speed (if they dont spin out), giving you an easy pass. But if you just dive right into the fight, you'll probably get collected in a wreck.

[NEW!]Be aware of others' awareness
This may sound confusing when you first read it, but it is something I keep seeing time and time again. I will go to pass somebody and they simply don't know I'm there. When dealing with normal drivers (not rammers or bad drivers), it is easy to tell when they know you're coming. They'll show signs of giving you room, or trying to hold their line. However, if you notice that someone is just driving along normally and not reacting to you, you need to either wait till they're aware of you or pass them on a straightaway (or some other clear, unobstructed opening). This will help prevent unintended wrecks.

Once I learned all of these things, winning races became pretty easy. Just be aware that you'll also need some luck on your side to get past all the wrecks and rammers, but knowledge and skill goes a long way towards getting you past such obstacles.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas so whoever would like to chime in, feel free to. I hope this helps some!

I couldn't agree more, kingcars. Thanks for posting:tup:👍

I'll tell you what though, I'm on Suzuka at the moment and there are a load of idiots on there and if they are members here I can assure you they won't be before long. :mad:

That's a good list. I learned those tactics myself the hard way, like most of us do. I can only think of a couple of things that might add to this thread.

Don't fight too hard for position. It's a rare race when the cars aren't glitching, and a glitch tap can ruin your pass as bad a ram sometimes.

Be aware that sometimes physics lags too. I've been taking turns and without warning, no one around, suddenly I find myself in a spin. If you aren't fighting for position in a turn, sometimes it's better to lay back a bit so you can deal with unexpected hiccups better.

One more thing would be, if you get knocked into last place or close to it in a 3 lap race, you'd be surprised how much you can gain on the pack due to the boost the game gives you. Stick it out and make something of it.

@Tenacious: Yes, fighting too hard for a position isn't well advised (I think it fits well with "dont force the issue"). However, in the rare case where the connection is good AND the other drivers are good too, it is possible to successfully have a fun, hard fought race. I have been in a few of these and they are really the shining moments of GT Online.

Also, I have myself experienced going from last place due to a wreck at the beginning to 5th place by the end (out of 16). It definitely pays to hang in there!

Anyways, thanks for the compliments. I figured that instead of complaining about online drivers that hopefully I could help a few :) . I've really enjoyed racing online against other good drivers and I'm confident it will only get better as PD adds some more much needed features.

I couldn't agree more, kingcars. Thanks for posting:tup:👍

I'll tell you what though, I'm on Suzuka at the moment and there are a load of idiots on there and if they are members here I can assure you they won't be before long. :mad:

Well said, thats exactly how i feel, i had many races at Suzuka, and was well placed and even coming in for a win, however as per norm got punted out big time.

Be aware that sometimes physics lags too. I've been taking turns and without warning, no one around, suddenly I find myself in a spin. If you aren't fighting for position in a turn, sometimes it's better to lay back a bit so you can deal with unexpected hiccups better.

On the topic of physics lag, also keep in mind that car positions aren't always accurate when you're racing tight with another car. This is especially apparent in low speed turns following a high speed section, such as turn 1 of Fuji. If the "I'm on the brakes hard" packet doesn't get through the network on time you can end up "virtually ramming" an opponent, or being rammed yourself. I've seen this happen on Forza 2 on hairpins at Tsukuba or the first turn at New York, for example. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the high-fps physics calcs occuring for each car.

So, in the end, some of the ramming/bumping taking place may not be truly happening on the offending driver's PS3. Doubly so given the worldwide online population of Prologue, thanks to us importing fools. :sly:

First post, BTW... glad to be here and looking forward to many months of Prologue joy in anticipation of the full GT5!

PSN = unimental

Yep, I've been running the Suzuka race with the Mazda Atenza and I've only been able to win when I could get far enough in the lead to keep people from being able to ram me at the final chicane, which has proven to be my main spot of death every time I'm leading there.

PS - I've added a new item to the list

Some good pointers in there.
Thanks for taking the time to write this post :)

unimental - You make a good point about racers appearing to collide when in fact they don't. You get this with all online racing games. When we finally get UK, US and Japanese only servers everyone will be in the same region racing this kind of thing should reduce a bit.

Yep, I've been running the Suzuka race with the Mazda Atenza and I've only been able to win when I could get far enough in the lead to keep people from being able to ram me at the final chicane, which has proven to be my main spot of death every time I'm leading there.

Here's how to do it at Suzuka. Notice how the driver is prepard to wait for the right opportunity by powering off throughout the race, even after being shunted off the track just after T1/ Lap1. :rolleyes: Also note how the driver backs off to allow the other car to go through after making an error of judgment going into turn #1 on lap 2.

Enjoy.

Great driving and patience in that vid. However, there are times that there is another good driver in the race that will check out from everybody, so I have had to get through the field quickly in order to have time to catch him. I had a few great shootouts with a guy named "grigio" on Suzuka. We passed each other so many times, I lost count. It was a lot of fun, and one race we were only 34 thousandths apart at the finish line!

do the cars wobble like that for some reason? Or will they wobble and veer around on the track on the full version?

The cars "wobble" like that because the players console is doing all the physics calcs for each car, and has to keep talking to every other console to check each cars position. It's a side effect of online racing games. I just hope it's mainly caused by connecting to game servers in Japan and most of this will disappear when we get UK only servers.

Great video Sphinx.

The cars "wobble" like that because the players console is doing all the physics calcs for each car, and has to keep talking to every other console to check each cars position. It's a side effect of online racing games. I just hope it's mainly caused by connecting to game servers in Japan and most of this will disappear when we get UK only servers.

Yeah, I'm hoping too! Part of the reason why the AI is easy to beat compared to other humans is the AI is predictable, which has never been brilliant. But this wobbling on the other hand, it's a nightmare! It means you can't run close through corners, as you need a great deal of faith to not hit the brakes every time the car infront looks like it's going to spin out - then instantly flicks back into line... I really REALLY hope this gets slicker when we get more local servers. This bothers me more than rammers and penalties put together!

...This bothers me more than rammers and penalties put together!

Agreed! I can deal with rammers but the unpredictability of it will annoy players very quickly. I'm hoping that PD are looking at the current games being played and trying to iron out these problems in due course.

Agreed! I can deal with rammers but the unpredictability of it will annoy players very quickly. I'm hoping that PD are looking at the current games being played and trying to iron out these problems in due course.

I personally think that's the whole point in this exercise so far, to see how the public handles the courses and what the main problems are with online racing.

I'm sure they'll allow Server hosting before long so GTplanet users can race together, but not before they iron out the kinks I would say (reasonably obvious I would have thought).

Mind you I think we'll see better progress when it has been released world wide if indeed that happens any time soon (within the next 2 months).

--Xeauron

If you DO play online, DON'T Expect a clean race. 👍

Agreed! The funny thing about this whole online mode is that when youre stuck with a lot of rammers, it can be the most frustrating gaming experience ever. But when you find another good driver and get to really go all out and not have to worry about getting wrecked, it is one of the most fun gaming experiences out there. I sure cant wait for PD to clean everything up...I will then be 100% hooked on Online racing.

do you think that PD can fix this though? i think the game takes the PS3 to near enough its limit, i dont think its possible for them to make online play as smooth as playing from the disc with computers.

The PS3 is very capable of smooth online play. I played PGR2 online on the first XBox and it was extremely smooth, so there is no reason for GT5 not to be. But really, especially considering the fact that I live on the other side of the world from Japan and can still play online with minimal lag is a good sign of things to come. I expect a great, smooth experience when we get GT5P here in the States.

Actually, I dont know if anyone noticed, but PD has already put some things in to try to prevent ramming. If the game detects that you're going way too fast into a turn, it will turn you into a ghost. I personally confirmed this myself in a few races. Hopefully they can do more things to help prevent ramming.

Actually, I dont know if anyone noticed, but PD has already put some things in to try to prevent ramming. If the game detects that you're going way too fast into a turn, it will turn you into a ghost. I personally confirmed this myself in a few races. Hopefully they can do more things to help prevent ramming.

I have noticed that aswell, also i have had few good clean races, it seems that peeps are learning. However it only takes one idiot rammer to spoil a race, keep up the good work PD and all the team involved:tup:

Actually I was a bit puf off at first from reading all the horror stories on here about people being rammed off the track. I must however say that I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when I went online with it, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it could be.

BUT, there is ALWAYS a few idiots/9 year olds at each race. I took my GT-R to Fuji today and this one guy slammed into me in every turn, finally putting me waay out in the grass/gravel. I went from 5th place to dead last in 15th.

The fact that a 4 second penalty doesn't nearly weigh up to being shoved hard of track together with the insane 'boost' the back markers seem to get, makes it quite rewarding to drive as dirty as you can. This makes it (atleast for me) very difficult to enjoy the races fully.

I too have seen that some drivers seem to turn into ghosts when over cooking it into corners but it seems to trigger too late, but I guess its next to impossible to implement a system that is fail safe.

And yes, I know I'm 'preaching to the choir' here but still... Venting I guess.

I also must mention before I come off as too negative that I had a great (but short) race at Eiger the other day. The cars in places 3-6 (or something) constantly tried to ram me and shove eachother. Once I got past them and found myself carrying alot more speed out of a corner than the race leader, I started to overtake him on the straight after the hair-pin, expecting the worst. But, to my great surprise he held his line perfectly, letting me pass on his left side. Then I had quite a bit of trouble keeping ahead of him the rest of the race but not once did he try to do anything 'dirty'. Great driver. His PSN was BABARACUS1972 or something like that. 👍

..and sorry for the lengthy post...

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. Most races I've been to have had quite a bit of lag, making the cars dart left and right through-out the race. But at Daytona today game-play was completely smooth. A nice surprise.

Lucky for my connection I usually start last so on the GT-R event, I just hold back and let the carnage take place...

Last doesn't help on the Daytona Event tho :guilty:

I had some fun with some rammers on Daytona last night, I just hung back in fourth and let them hit each other until the last corner, as they ran each other into the wall I went around them on the apron and won. Hitting other cars on purpose is kind of pointless, but I guess some people enjoy it.

Some good advice in here, although most people online will probably still be wreckless.

Man...I totally agree with you 100%. You know you'd think you wouldn't have to deal with rammers on gran turismo, I feel that Gran Turismo is a simulator for true racing enthusiasts, not cheaters. If you have to knock people out of a race then you are no true racer. Well, i look foreward to racing you someday when I get my PS3 hooked back up to the internet, whenever that will be.:irked:

don't know if has been mentioned , but usually when i race online weather its on GT or Forza if I'm in front of some one and I know he has a faster car then on the stright I would just move to the side if I'm sure he is going to pass me thats they only time when I move on corners you have to pass me fair and square :)

Well I'm glad people agree with me :). I just had a very good race with a couple of guys in the S Class Suzuka race last night (cant remember names though). Me and 2 other guys got out front and had a very good clean battle to the finish. I even raced GTaddictDOTcom a couple of times, but we both fell victim to some untimely wrecks.

This sort of briefing should be viewed by all online players.... if only eh!

I've been employing these same kind of tactics for a few weeks now, more so on Daytona and Suzuka.
Avoiding the pile up into the first double right hander at Suzuka is near enough mandatory.

My biggest gripe is the view which I use, the nose cam, which doesn't afford much opportunity to clock cars creeping up the inside if you're on the racing line - basically a blind spot. Couple of times I've made contact and caused them to fly off which I feel pretty bad about as I know there must have been space for them to creep up.

kingcars - I'm pretty sure I've had a few races with you at Suzuka and London City? Your name rings a bell that's for sure.

This sort of briefing should be viewed by all online players.... if only eh!

I've been employing these same kind of tactics for a few weeks now, more so on Daytona and Suzuka.
Avoiding the pile up into the first double right hander at Suzuka is near enough mandatory.

My biggest gripe is the view which I use, the nose cam, which doesn't afford much opportunity to clock cars creeping up the inside if you're on the racing line - basically a blind spot. Couple of times I've made contact and caused them to fly off which I feel pretty bad about as I know there must have been space for them to creep up.

kingcars - I'm pretty sure I've had a few races with you at Suzuka and London City? Your name rings a bell that's for sure.

whas allways a bumpercam rider myself,but i have to say i have gotten quite used to the onboardcam resently!!....i find it especially good when on london or the alps.....there is a mutch more overlooking feeling of the car in these thight corners that way....it really took me some time after all these years to use another type of view but i can reccomend you give it a go for some time...you will be surprised!

Back