Online racing is being ruined

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I’m fairly new to this game but got into Sport really quickly. I’m starting to lose patience with it though. My SR rating is S. Still, being battered and rammed is ruining races for me. I’ve been trying to do the ‘easy’ suzuka race tonight. About 4 attempts later and I’ve given up every time due to being rammed off the road. Last race I was in second, then someone just batters into me on a corner and I’m off the track again. That’s at S rating. Clearly something isn’t working as I’m just not enjoying these races due to the constant battering from other players.

Is it just me finding this?

FYI - just had another go. Started in pole. Literally 1st corner, I get slammed into and rammed off the track. 1 corner.

this game is unplayable online until this situation is fixed. It’s beyond a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
It hadn't changed :banghead: .... don't get disappointed ĺook search for posts to find other peoples advise .. you tube tidgney hes got great gts vids ..

Also there are friendly groups on :gtplanet: Have a look join up 👍

I've had good luck with the FIA races, I'm at B DR racing against other B, A rated drivers.
I find people take those FIA events a bit more seriously.

I was A rated briefly and the 3 races I did were pretty clean as I had the track all to myself when all the other A/A+ drivers left me in the dust :D

SR is an empty rating system, What DR are you at?
I’m C. As mentioned I’m still pretty new but enjoy the game, when races are clean and not banger racing.

I actually finally got a bit of space from the pack and when I did, win the race reasonably comfortably.

I guess I’m trying to be competitive in races but I’m getting really frustrated that I can’t hold my line when someone is up my backside as I KNOW they’re going to rear-end me and send me off the track. Meanwhile they get round the bend as my car is basically a brake for them. So the only option is to give up the racing line and probably lose position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually finally got a bit of space from the pack and when I did, win the race reasonably comfortably.

I guess I’m trying to be competitive in races but I’m getting really frustrated that I can’t hold my line when someone is up my backside as I KNOW they’re going to rear-end me and send me off the track. Meanwhile they get round the bend as my car is basically a brake for them. So the only option is to give up the racing line and probably lose position.
You could always consider joining our racing series? I played around with sport mode when the game came out and got bored of it fairly swiftly. But the WRS is and probably always will be the best place for clean close racing with a friendly bunch of guys. Why not join us for a race and see for yourself!

You could always consider joining our racing series? I played around with sport mode when the game came out and got bored of it fairly swiftly. But the WRS is and probably always will be the best place for clean close racing with a friendly bunch of guys. Why not join us for a race and see for yourself!

That sounds good. How do I join up? Bare in mind I’m still fairly rubbish but gradually improving all the time. I have a family etc so not got as much time to play as I’d probably like. But I’m on a few nights each week. UK based.

My advice on Suzuka would be to set a terrible lap time and start at the back.
I have had the chance to be thrown in a super high lobby last night, even though i have a 51.5 lap time where they were almost all under 51 seconds.

I realised one thing, after a lap, they have taken each other out, you may need to break earlier but you end up in top5.

My advice on Suzuka would be to set a terrible lap time and start at the back.
I have had the chance to be thrown in a super high lobby last night, even though i have a 51.5 lap time where they were almost all under 51 seconds.

I realised one thing, after a lap, they have taken each other out, you may need to break earlier but you end up in top5.

it’s great you think 51.5 is a terrible lap time. I’m just over 52. But I take your point. That first corner is carnage. I don’t even know if people mean it. Maybe because I’m still only c rated there’s just a lot of people with no situational awareness and no sense to realise you can’t race like there’s no-one else around you. I’ve won that track a couple of times - at my rating, I’m finding I generally am of the quicker players, but if I push it and end up getting slammed off the track the. It becomes an exercise in trying to catch as many places as possible before the 7 laps are up. In effect, I have ended up near the back anyway so starting in the top 3/4 is pointless anyway.

it’s great you think 51.5 is a terrible lap time. I’m just over 52. But I take your point. That first corner is carnage. I don’t even know if people mean it. Maybe because I’m still only c rated there’s just a lot of people with no situational awareness and no sense to realise you can’t race like there’s no-one else around you. I’ve won that track a couple of times - at my rating, I’m finding I generally am of the quicker players, but if I push it and end up getting slammed off the track the. It becomes an exercise in trying to catch as many places as possible before the 7 laps are up. In effect, I have ended up near the back anyway so starting in the top 3/4 is pointless anyway.
I am conscious it's a good lap time but for those who haven't set any, as I hate those that set no lap times to start at the back, I'd just advise you to set just an average lap time so you don't start in the first places where everyone pushes you

I’m fairly new to this game but got into Sport really quickly. I’m starting to lose patience with it though. My SR rating is S. Still, being battered and rammed is ruining races for me. I’ve been trying to do the ‘easy’ suzuka race tonight. About 4 attempts later and I’ve given up every time due to being rammed off the road. Last race I was in second, then someone just batters into me on a corner and I’m off the track again. That’s at S rating. Clearly something isn’t working as I’m just not enjoying these races due to the constant battering from other players.

No, I've given up online racing, and stick to time trialling now. I've decided the whole concept of online racing is too flawed to be worthwhile. It relies on gentlemanly behaviour to abide by a set of rules that nobody can agree on anyway (all threads on "whose fault was this?" divide opinion), and which the game doesn't enforce. Having rules that you're supposed to follow, but which aren't enforced by the game, is fundamentally never going to work.

That sounds good. How do I join up? Bare in mind I’m still fairly rubbish but gradually improving all the time. I have a family etc so not got as much time to play as I’d probably like. But I’m on a few nights each week. UK based.
You can find all the information here, the league is sort of split into Time trials and races, so once you register you can participate in both. Time trials are a great way to learn tracks and improve and learn from others, then the racing follows on with the same track/car from that weeks time trials.

No, I've given up online racing, and stick to time trialling now. I've decided the whole concept of online racing is too flawed to be worthwhile. It relies on gentlemanly behaviour to abide by a set of rules that nobody can agree on anyway (all threads on "whose fault was this?" divide opinion), and which the game doesn't enforce. Having rules that you're supposed to follow, but which aren't enforced by the game, is fundamentally never going to work.

fair point. It’s always going to be difficult to police. In an actual race, about 30% of the field would lose their licenses after one corner

Here’s a couple of things to consider:

Anyone who is in their 30s and has played GT since PS1 is quite possibly trained to play bumper cars. In the original game on PS1, I know I would use the AI cars as a bumper so I didn’t have to slow down into the corners. This was years ago, but GT games were notorious for that because there was no damage and no penalty. I eventually realized it’s more fun to win fairly, even if it was against AI

Look at the first few corners of a real F1 race and you will see plenty of chaos. If the best drivers in the world struggle when they’re grouped up super tightly, what hope do we have when we are playing a game on our couch with competitors who very possibly are eating/drinking/talking to their partner while racing.

The average racer cares more about their race than they do about being fair. If they come up behind you and take you out, there is no penalty for them a lot of the time. Even a 1 second penalty is far less than the person who is now in the gravel trap will lose. The average person is selfish and just wants to finish as high up as possible. It’s a game after all.

I truly feel a realistic damage model would solve a LOT of the issues seen in online racing. A penalty system can be abused or worked around, but if you know for a fact that your race will be over if you take someone out from behind at 120mph, you will probably drive more cautiously.

Here’s a couple of things to consider:

Anyone who is in their 30s and has played GT since PS1 is quite possibly trained to play bumper cars. In the original game on PS1, I know I would use the AI cars as a bumper so I didn’t have to slow down into the corners. This was years ago, but GT games were notorious for that because there was no damage and no penalty. I eventually realized it’s more fun to win fairly, even if it was against AI

Look at the first few corners of a real F1 race and you will see plenty of chaos. If the best drivers in the world struggle when they’re grouped up super tightly, what hope do we have when we are playing a game on our couch with competitors who very possibly are eating/drinking/talking to their partner while racing.

The average racer cares more about their race than they do about being fair. If they come up behind you and take you out, there is no penalty for them a lot of the time. Even a 1 second penalty is far less than the person who is now in the gravel trap will lose. The average person is selfish and just wants to finish as high up as possible. It’s a game after all.

I truly feel a realistic damage model would solve a LOT of the issues seen in online racing. A penalty system can be abused or worked around, but if you know for a fact that your race will be over if you take someone out from behind at 120mph, you will probably drive more cautiously.

Yep, damage is maybe the right approach.

Incidentally, I was just doing the Spa gr4 weekly race. Again had one attempt where I started in 4th, got ping-ponged around by two guys coming too quickly behind me at the very first chicane, knocked off the track. I get the SR penalty ... mental. Next attempt I’m coming down the straight over the finish line towards the towards the hairpin, when I notice the guy behind is drafting me pretty close. “Here we go” I think. And he didn’t disappoint, bang into my rear right as I brake. I flew towards the rear of the hairpin but just manage to hold and drop two positions. The offending driver gets no penalty.

It would be great if the devs could do something about this for the next GT game on PS5.

What time yoi guys play. I can only play at late nights.

I feel for you. Sometimes racing is just a mess.

This is on another platform but the racers are Legends. Watch the grid start. Everyone will feel better about themselves. :D

Yep, damage is maybe the right approach.

Incidentally, I was just doing the Spa gr4 weekly race. Again had one attempt where I started in 4th, got ping-ponged around by two guys coming too quickly behind me at the very first chicane, knocked off the track. I get the SR penalty ... mental. Next attempt I’m coming down the straight over the finish line towards the towards the hairpin, when I notice the guy behind is drafting me pretty close. “Here we go” I think. And he didn’t disappoint, bang into my rear right as I brake. I flew towards the rear of the hairpin but just manage to hold and drop two positions. The offending driver gets no penalty.

It would be great if the devs could do something about this for the next GT game on PS5.
I guess we have come to the realization that the Sport mode is drastically flawed, and that it doesn't represent the game's intention.
The worst part is that everyone must watch a video about racing etiquette that no one puts into practice.
Worst of all, Polyphony Digital doesn't seem to enforce it.
This completely defeats the purpose of the game.
This game is meant to be played with people that you know or at least can set some basic rules.
As it is, Sport Mode is a failed social experiment.

FYI - just had another go. Started in pole. Literally 1st corner, I get slammed into and rammed off the track. 1 corner.

this game is unplayable online until this situation is fixed. It’s beyond a joke.

It's just the unavoidable nature of simulated racing against real people. There's no danger and no REAL penalty for driving like a nutcase. So we drive like nutcases. I try to drive clean and sane, and I sometimes fail in the heat of a fight.

But the technology of GT Sport is amazing to a stone-age primitive (age 81) like me. It ain't quite like real life, but it is still pretty doggone good. So I take it for what it is. The required skills are a lot like real life racing, but the environment (you don't get killed and you don't have to work all night to repair a damaged car) just ain't quite like the real thing.

Couldn't agree more.. literally just posted this..

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...become-a-mess-and-game-enjoyment-gone.393949/

fair point. It’s always going to be difficult to police. In an actual race, about 30% of the field would lose their licenses after one corner
But this would stop people shunting pretty fast! And it would be about clean racing again if bad behaviour wasn't rewarded. What gets me the most is that if you get shunted off you lose the DR. I've lost 5600 DR over 12 times logging on. I've just had a Baby and have limited time to play.. qualify well, get punted off and lose DR.. how is that fair!!? Poor driving is what gets rewarded in this game now. I'm a 2016 GT Academy finalised for Australia and I represented the game and country.. now I almost don't want to be a part of it anymore cause clean and fair racing isn't rewarded anymore..

That first corner is carnage. I don’t even know if people mean it. Maybe because I’m still only c rated there’s just a lot of people with no situational awareness and no sense to realise you can’t race like there’s no-one else around you. I’ve won that track a couple of times - at my rating, I’m finding I generally am of the quicker players, but if I push it and end up getting slammed off the track the. It becomes an exercise in trying to catch as many places as possible before the 7 laps are up. In effect, I have ended up near the back anyway so starting in the top 3/4 is pointless anyway.

With how the current penalty system is SR isn't the best indicator of clean racing, and at the C DR level you're exactly right, a lot of people don't have the situational awareness yet that you can't pile 4 wide into corners or that you can't just take a normal racing line if someone is on your inside/outside. Getting out of the lower DRs is tough, it's a combination of patience and finding the Daily/FIA race combo that really suits you well. If you have a combo that works well for you, chances are you'll get better results and raise your DR. Suzuka East is definitely a more tricky combo because passing opportunities are low. Also, it's a shorter race so people get a little more aggressive/desperate. Longer races, like Race C, I've found are better for making up positions if you're starting from the back since it's a longer race. In addition, if pit strategy is a thing that can really help shake up the racing and help you pass the idiots.

I guess we have come to the realization that the Sport mode is drastically flawed, and that it doesn't represent the game's intention.
The worst part is that everyone must watch a video about racing etiquette that no one puts into practice.
Worst of all, Polyphony Digital doesn't seem to enforce it.
This completely defeats the purpose of the game.

I always thought that to be able to participate in Sport mode players should be able to pass a license test, like how previous GT games had the B/A/IB/IA/S licenses, like they should have at least a B or A license to at least help curb some of the idiocy/instill a little bit of driver ability in them.

Back