Opel: Return of the Monza? Now confirmed by Opel, pictures inside

  • Thread starter Thread starter NLxAROSA
  • 42 comments
  • 4,920 views
I originally thought this looked like it could be the next gen Astra, however looking at the shape again, could the Monza concept become the new Vauxhall/Opel Signum?
 
I hope Opel make a decent hatchback soon.


It's been too long since Opel was in DTM, and also the ITC before that. The 90s Carlton was sooooo lovely! I just want something like that, a fast touring car, just for the fun of it. It seems like that's what Opel's missing nowadays.
 
^Astra is Opel's hatchback as of now.
 
It looks sexy :drool:
The only thing I don't like is the length of it, it's too long and it makes it look weird.
 
Opel have a perfectly good hatchback, and they won't make a big saloon like the Carlton because it will sell next none compared to the premium brands.

Apart from the Zafira (although the MPV market has shrunk with the rise of SUV's) the Opel need to focus on Astra size cars and smaller. They need to make sure they're a good chunk cheaper and better value for money than the premium brands while maintaining decent quality.
 
Opel needs to bring back the old days when they knew how to build cars. Give us the Admiral, Diplomat and Senator!
 
I see little point in Opel making larger-sized 'luxury' cars, people in the market for those cars want a premium badge on it. Opel isn't a premium badge.

Ironically, if GM Europe was really wanting to enter the premium market in Europe, to compete with BMW, Audi, Merc, Lexus etc, they could do worse than introducing the Buick badge. It's known over here, but isn't really associated with any stigma in the way it probably is back home. The names Opel or Vauxhall just don't cut the mustard.

Chevrolet = budget
Opel/Vauxhall = regular
Buick = could be premium
 
A new cheap Opel Manta would be nice :p
 
I remember the Calibra. If that were RWD it would have been a cool car. Guess it wouldn't make anyone switch from a 3-series. The Monza should be BMW 1-Series size. This way, it has room to grow. That Chevrolet 130R concept would work as a rebadged more up-scale Opel. For a start any way...
 
What's wrong with 4wd in a car like that?
 
Didn't know they were AWD. Thought only the race car. When I lived in the states we didn't get it. The Chevy Cavalier was nothing like the European Calibra. I see them every so often now that I'm in Australia( but they aren't in the best of condition). I saw it as a competitor to the Ford Probe/MX-6 and the Diamond Star Twins(Eclipse/Laser) but GM didn't.
 
Ironically, if GM Europe was really wanting to enter the premium market in Europe, to compete with BMW, Audi, Merc, Lexus etc, they could do worse than introducing the Buick badge. It's known over here, but isn't really associated with any stigma in the way it probably is back home. The names Opel or Vauxhall just don't cut the mustard.

That's actually a very interesting idea. No matter how premium Opel and Vauxhall may attempt to make their cars, they can't escape the name. The same thing happened in the US when they attempted to make Saturn an entry-level luxury car brand.

As far as I can tell, Buick had an interesting relationship with British motorsport for some time, I'm sure the brand still carries some weight.

It'd certainly streamline some of the "maybe, maybe not" nonsense that GM keeps doing with importing Opel's cars to the US...
 
Back