• 32 comments

Small_Fryz

But why is the Rum gone??
Premium
Australia
QLD, Australia
Small_Fryz
Hi guys,

Some of the old members might know about my heart background and I even have a few of you lads on facebook so you will have no doubt seen that too, but I wanted to take the time to write up a thread for the rest of the community to read too.

So I was born with Tricsupid Atresia which basically means my heart only has a very small right ventricle with no tricuspid valve, instead I had a VSD (hole in the wall) which allowed the blood flow to move through but of course with no valve the blood could also go back the "wrong way" and thus I had very poor circulation and my oxygen levels were bad. I had a shunt operation when I was a few months old and another when I was about 1, which fixed me enough to live until at the age of 4 I had my first "down the middle" operation which put in a pig valve and a tube to act as my right ventricle, thus fixing my plumbing and basically giving me a normal blood flow. I had a dramatic improvement in life and was able to then live almost a normal childhood, sans getting tired under extreme exertion (No running big cross countries for me :lol: ). I had this procedure redone at 9 and again at 14 (both times cut down the middle) as my body grew and the valve and tubes needed replacing. On top of that at 12 I had a pacemaker put in due to my heart rate struggling under exercise and that turned out to be another down the middle open heart. So by 15 I had 4 open heart down the middle + the 2 heart operations as a baby.

Fast forward 15years and in August my heart started playing up again with AF (Atrial Flutter) which was caused by that tube and valve being too skinny which caused my atrium to expand which then made the heart race away beating irregular and inefficient. My heart rate rising to as high as 190. Think of a car engine suddenly going to redline and at the same time the gearbox jumping in and out of all the gears at different times and you have a car revving and going nowhere. This happened twice, once in August and again in September and both times I needed to be "shocked" back into normal rhythm. So the writing was on the wall, the valve and tube had to be replaced again, 15years was a good run, but they don't last forever.

So on the 26th of October I went in for my 5th time down the middle and 7th open heart, this time not only did they replace the tricuspid valve and that tube but they also put in a mechanical valve to replace my mitral valve which had slowly been leaking worse and worse over time. Double valve replacement!!. Obviously I'm here writing this post so I did make it :lol:. The procedure went very very well and all the doctors were very happy with the results, I was lucky as the surgeon who had done all my previous operations was still alive (bugger is 80) while retired from surgery he was still active as a mentor / teacher and he was present in theater with my new surgeon (whom he taught) and was able to help with all the background knowledge. I still have the same cardiologist from birth (she is mid 70's) so I couldn't have been in better hands.

So now two weeks after surgery things are going really well, my day to day life is almost back to normal in that my mobility to do normal tasks is great, I even sat down at the racing rig yesterday and turned a few laps on GTS with my G29!! Hurts a little with the force feedback and I don't have the quick reflexes yet, so I'm stuck driving the slower cars until that improves but at least I'm back!

My main point of this thread is that no matter what cards you get dealt with in life you can make the most of it and still grab life by the balls and have fun.

Those of you that know me and some even met me will attest to the quality of life I lead and never using the above to make excuses or demand sympathy or carry on like a pork chop.

I have a full time sales rep job, selling marantz, denon electronics and Jamo, Klipsch, Niles speakers to the big retail and independent stores in my state (my company is the importer/distributor). Plus I've traveled through Europe and Asia and certainly had my fair share of parties.

Here are some pics to end the post on. Happy to answer any questions you have about my past or the operation / recovery. All going well I'm good again for another 15 - 20 years! :cheers:

22780464_10154821406957657_1334928251129285877_n.jpg

The day after surgery, out of ICU and into the main ward. Already standing and able to walk. Lots of crap hanging off me though.

22852237_10154829915507657_2201163810326225737_n.jpg

Day 4, feeling much much better and pretty much out of the woods by here. Finally showered properly and into my own clothes.

23131612_10154834169117657_8340360938036435831_n.jpg

Day 6 and I'm already home!! less than a week in hopstial after surgery. Kicking ass

23435214_10154852706817657_502501727141893836_n.jpg

Last night, 2 weeks after, colour is normal and feeling great.

All thats left is to slowly wean off the pain killers and for my chest muscles and ribs to heal, I'll be back at work for emails and phone calls from Decemeber and back driving mid December with normal life resuming in Jan.

Also good news, the pacemaker is no longer required, the wires were damaged in surgery (they are old anyway) and all the signs point to my heart being very fit and healthy, so it was turned off (still inside me though haha). So apart from being on warafin for the rest of my life (blood tests every 2 - 4 weeks) I'll pretty much go back to normal and continue riding motorbikes, wakeboarding, 4x4ing and getting upto the usual shennanigans I always have. The only thing I will curb which also has to do with my age is cutting back on the drinking. Still going to have fun and sink a few, though instead of 18 I'll have 6 :lol:.

Those who know me will also be proud to know I've been 3 months sober as well, totally stopped once I had the AF and I haven't yet had my first after the operation (waiting to get off the hardcore pain meds).

👍

I have a few other pics of the scar and when I was on the ventilator which I can share under the spoiler tags if people are interested too 👍

Cheers boys :lol:

I look forward to having a rum soon Marc! 👍
@TB

You ask and you receive :lol:
23476664_1486736894752810_1387788241_n.jpg

23439379_1486736998086133_728402421_n.jpg

23439381_1486736958086137_1604926972_n.jpg

23513425_10154853891967657_19924471_n.jpg

Awake barely! giving the thumbs up haha.
23476125_10154853891962657_2025033476_n.jpg

bloated due to the air they pumped in and you can see the bruises down the bottom from injections.. but overall not so bad! My bloody eye was being bad though... I'll get that fixed next haha

Cool story bro, but like seriously this time. 👍

A friend of mine had the exact same problem, but when he got his last surgery at the age of 45 (his 3rd I believe) something happened with him, since then he is...changed. He is really scared of death, he can no longer work and he has become extremely jumpy and nervous. Its weird, first we thought its the medications but he stayed that way. Its like PTSD.

What I'm trying to say is that its great that you endured such big surgeries mentally unscathed, apparently thats not always the case.

I went through a heart op when I was 5 and and then had my chest opened (or down the middle as you call it :lol:) to repair a hole at 15, can't imagine going through seven operations. :scared:

Glad to hear that everything went well. All the best mate. 👍

Awesome mate 👍, it's been nice to read of the progress on Facebook from you and those that are close but nice that you could share it here also.

Hit it on the head here.

My main point of this thread is that no matter what cards you get dealt with in life you can make the most of it and still grab life by the balls and have fun.

Many of us are dealt a **** hand in life one way or another but there is no point moaning and carrying on about it. Play the cards you're dealt and just get on with it, you my friend are the poster boy for that.

I remember the last time you went through this Dion, All those years ago.. It's good to see you in happy spirits after having to endure it again and nice that you have the same team looking after you over such a time frame too 👍 Keep on rollin mate and stay positive even though this is some major $hit :cheers:

Take care and all the best Ron.. and my good missus Kel wishes you the best also ;) :cheers:

Hi Dion.

So now two weeks after surgery things are going really well, my day to day life is almost back to normal in that my mobility to do normal tasks is great,
You mean being able to raise a bottle of rum, don't you? :lol:

I even sat down at the racing rig yesterday and turned a few laps on GTS with my G29!! Hurts a little with the force feedback and I don't have the quick reflexes yet, so I'm stuck driving the slower cars until that improves but at least I'm back!
You never had! :P

Amen to that! Ain't that the truth. And I'm finding out myself since a couple of months. :)

Those of you that know me and some even met me will attest to the quality of life I lead and never using the above to make excuses or demand sympathy or carry on like a pork chop.
Meeting you in real life, I can attest to that. Yes, you are a natural beauty good guy with a smile on his face.

Here are some pics to end the post on. Happy to answer any questions you have about my past or the operation / recovery. All going well I'm good again for another 15 - 20 years! :cheers:
:cheers:

22780464_10154821406957657_1334928251129285877_n.jpg

The day after surgery, out of ICU and into the main ward. Already standing and able to walk. Lots of crap hanging off me though.

22852237_10154829915507657_2201163810326225737_n.jpg

Day 4, feeling much much better and pretty much out of the woods by here. Finally showered properly and into my own clothes.
Wow, nice socks.

Last night, 2 weeks after, colour is normal and feeling great.
You think bright orange is a normal colour? :scared:

Also good news, the pacemaker is no longer required, the wires were damaged in surgery (they are old anyway) and all the signs point to my heart being very fit and healthy, so it was turned off (still inside me though haha).
That is very good news indeed 👍
Does this mean that you're able/allowed to go through security (scanning device) at the Atomium in Brussels :D

Those who know me will also be proud to know I've been 3 months sober as well, totally stopped once I had the AF and I haven't yet had my first after the operation (waiting to get off the hardcore pain meds).
👍

I have a few other pics of the scar and when I was on the ventilator which I can share under the spoiler tags if people are interested too 👍
All joke aside (I know you don't mind). I'm very please to see you are fine and got through the surgery in one piece and became a better version of yourself.

I hope we will meet again, some time in the near or far, very far future. :D

Last edited:
Solid, Dion. Properly have the utmost respect for your attitude through all of the tribulations you’ve faced.

You’re a real trooper, mate. 👍

As Metallica would say - “what don’t kill ya, make ya more strong.”

Cool story bro, but like seriously this time. 👍

A friend of mine had the exact same problem, but when he got his last surgery at the age of 45 (his 3rd I believe) something happened with him, since then he is...changed. He is really scared of death, he can no longer work and he has become extremely jumpy and nervous. Its weird, first we thought its the medications but he stayed that way. Its like PTSD.

What I'm trying to say is that its great that you endured such big surgeries mentally unscathed, apparently thats not always the case.
Thanks mate 👍. I do hope your friend is able to get better, maybe he needs to find others like him and that could help? I personally see it more as a new chance / lease on life and the ability to live another 20+ years. Blessing rather than a curse. Everybody dies sooner or later but thankfully in my case it should be a fair bit later. This makes you live life more full and enjoy the moments.

I went through a heart op when I was 5 and and then had my chest opened (or down the middle as you call it :lol:) to repair a hole at 15, can't imagine going through seven operations. :scared:

Glad to hear that everything went well. All the best mate. 👍
How are things now?? You don't need any further ops? Good thing is its only really the first week that is tough. After that it all gets better pretty quickly, the most annoying bit is sorting out work/adult life. The actual operation and recovery isn't to bad as long as you have the desired time "stress free" from the adult world.

You rock, big guy. You just freakin' rock. Like wow. :boggled:

My very best wishes for you. :cheers:
Awesome mate 👍, it's been nice to read of the progress on Facebook from you and those that are close but nice that you could share it here also.

Hit it on the head here.

Many of us are dealt a **** hand in life one way or another but there is no point moaning and carrying on about it. Play the cards you're dealt and just get on with it, you my friend are the poster boy for that.
👍 Thats it mate, make the most of it and have fun!! I always plan to live to 100 but a part of me also knows it could be all over in a week, so you just got to have fun in the moment and not get too caught up chasing the "I'll be happy when I've got xyz" mentality.

I remember the last time you went through this Dion, All those years ago.. It's good to see you in happy spirits after having to endure it again and nice that you have the same team looking after you over such a time frame too 👍 Keep on rollin mate and stay positive even though this is some major $hit :cheers:

Take care and all the best Ron.. and my good missus Kel wishes you the best also ;) :cheers:
Really appreciate that mate, and say hi to Kel for me too. Look forward to some racing in GTS both against the clock and online soon 👍
Hi Dion.

You mean being able to raise a bottle of rum, don't you? :lol:

You never had! :P

Amen to that! Ain't that the truth. And I'm finding out myself since a couple of months. :)

Meeting you in real life, I can attest to that. Yes, you are a natural beauty good guy with a smile on his face.

Wow, nice socks.

You think bright orange is a normal colour? :scared:

That is very good news indeed 👍
Does this mean that you're able/allowed to go through security (scanning device) at the Atomium in Brussels :D
👍

All joke aside (I know you don't mind). I'm very please to see you are fine and got through the surgery in one piece and became a better version of yourself.

I hope we will meet again, some time in the near or far, very far future. :D
Thanks Kikie 👍 I certainly look forward to my first rum, hopefully only a week or so away!
Solid, Dion. Properly have the utmost respect for your attitude through all of the tribulations you’ve faced.

You’re a real trooper, mate. 👍

As Metallica would say - “what don’t kill ya, make ya more strong.”
:cheers: Mate, everyone has their own demons, I know you have had your fair share too, just goes to show with some motivation and positive thinking you can overcome so much!

No bottle or glass of rum no women in any photo double fail. Glad to see you're doing good.
Haha. Is it even Dion without a drink?? :lol:
Admit it, it's a rum iv drip isn't it. :D
Glad you're doing good and wishing you a speedy recovery. 👍
You got me... no need for antibiotics when alcohol kills all the germs! :D

Everyday is getting better and everyday gone is a day closer to normal.

How are things now?? You don't need any further ops?

Oh yeah, everything is good for the moment. 👍 Had a narrow aorta fixed when I was 5 and then had a hole closed when I was 15. Still got slightly leaky valve, that will probably need something done about it eventually but I went in for an MRI last September and the professor I'm under at RPA in Sydney, wasn't too concerned about it. Actually he was so unconcerned about it, he doesn't want to see me until next September. (I normally go see him every 12-18 months)
Good thing is its only really the first week that is tough.

First few days are intense, especially when you first wake up with all that stuff hanging off of you. :lol: :crazy: But after that when you can get up and start moving around a bit, it's okay.

Didn't know you had a heart condition man :nervous: !

But, it's good to know you are doing just fine :D keep it up, hope you make a full and fast recovery :cheers:

Thanks again guys 👍

I've kicked all the serious pain meds and I'm only taking panadol before bed. Going back to work next week for light duties (I work from home so it means answering the phone and emails). Really feeling well and the local doctor is very happy with my progress. I have an appointment with the surgeon on the 11th December for a checkup, but all is very well.

Dion is here to stay for a while longer yet :lol:

There's no rum anywhere in those pictures — who are you? You're not the Dion I know. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO DION?

Seriously though, I'm a little late to the party but I'm glad you're pulling through. 👍

Have been quite absent from GTP due to work and life and more work, so I just now read about this. Glad to see you made it through and are wobbling ass again 👍

So just an update for a few peeps.

Past few months I've had a stress test (think treadmill that goes faster and steeper each 90 seconds until you can't go any longer) worn a heart monitor for 24hrs and been to more appointments then a job hunter in silicon valley. Great news!! I'm all good for at least another 20years with checkup's every 6 - 12 months.

I have been back at work full time since January the 8th and have been very busy visiting all my customers and clients that missed out on my awesome presence over the past 6 months.

I must admit I have been slack logging into GTP, however I really do think about my online home reguarly and I wanted to share my progress, not only to those whom know me but also to any new kids on the block that could use it as some inspiration or to know that Dion is still sinking a few rums.

A picture is worth a 1000 words so I'll just link a few with some descriptions to fill in the gaps.

23795083_10154891098717657_1713810702320787728_n.jpg

Went to a horse race event with the Girlfriend

25551953_10154962432347657_2548518239369960221_n.jpg

Went fishing with my dad and brother over Christmas

26167802_10154990809487657_3443153677304270969_n.jpg

26239105_10154994837032657_6009028184853966656_n.jpg

26195665_10154994837277657_3460483653204763404_n.jpg

26219253_10154990544567657_3145314805765672255_n.jpg

26219492_10154994839572657_5688557210592731327_n.jpg

Camped for a week on the worlds largest Sand Island, Fraser Island

26907713_10155037417662657_3359313410563093298_n.jpg

Went to the Foo Fighters Concert

28056353_10155084855577657_3332114797135773502_n.jpg

Back on the Moto tearing up the place (private road of course)

27072676_10155053007797657_2432152774701818146_n.jpg

Back Travelling for work, seeing the sights.

28377659_10155111934407657_6844500928494645896_n.jpg

Travelled to Tasmania for a mates wedding!

28576470_10155128469537657_8302508946043716739_n.jpg

Hanging out with my GF visiting the country side!

So yeah.... time is a wonderful thing.. it always passes and things can always change, so why not focus on making it better and not worse.

I'll leave it with one of my favourte quotes:

“Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.”

Earl Nightingale

Good to see you’re still living it large, mate. Glad to hear your ticker is doing well, too. 👍

Good to see you doing well and living life to the full 👍.

3 out of 12 with drink in hand. You're getting much better:cheers: Glad to see you doing well been wondering how things were going.

Back