Opinions: I miss secret cars...or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vitocorp
  • 30 comments
  • 2,461 views
Messages
910
Italy
Italy
So, a little debate here, since GT3 (not sure about the chapters on PS1, never played those) PD included some secret and/or not-buyable cars in the game.
GT3 had the Formula cars, and other examples like the 'street versions' of the Ford GT40 and the Toyota GT-One where nice additions.
In GT4 some cars were 'locked' and obtainable only via some events (like the predecessor).
Formula GT and the 4 black cars were 'secret'.
GT5 and GT6 wiped out this feature, but the GT5 used dealership made some cars rarer than other.
I kinda miss this 'rare' car thing altough I'm quite happy about buying any car the game has to offer if I have enough credits.
So, what do you guys think?
I'm not referring about cars already in the game unlocked after a ninja updates, of course :p
 
Nope. Nope nope nope nope. The game is already bad enough at letting you access the content in it. One of the few unilateral improvements over the previous games, and since GT6 reverted most of the positive changes it'd be nice to at least keep that one safe. If they want to reimplement the UCD (and do it in a way that makes more sense than GT5's), no problem; but keeping players from ever accessing certain cars because they can't do a slalom licence test or whatever is beneficial to no one.
 
Secret cars would not be appealing to me at all and I would say not to most players. It is nice to have prize cars but it is also nice to be able to buy and sell those same cars.

I miss a few things from older GT games, From GT4, A-Spec points, Being able to reset an event and win the car again, B-Spec as it was in GT4, prize cars for each event/series. From GT5 Expert Seasonal A-Spec races, Shuffle races, Community features such as messaging, sharing cars, gifting and having an option to turn collisions off in an online lobby if desired.
 
Either way, people will complain if they are secret, available but too expensive, the wrong color, or if there's too many varieties.

In short, people like to complain.
 
I think it was just plain fun to have them.
 
Wasn't the X2010 content hidden until A/B Spec level 30 in GT5...? And many of the PhotoTravel locations hidden until certain Special Events were completed?

I think that'd be a good way to go about it - having cars un-purchasable or "invisible" until a certain portion of the game is complete. Then once they are, they can be purchased/sold freely. It'd work well with the Senna content, and it'd seem like it'd be a reasonably good tie-in for any special events...
 
Either way, people will complain if they are secret, available but too expensive, the wrong color, or if there's too many varieties.

In short, people like to complain.
This happens much more often when there is only a single path through a game like this. With 1200 cars from a variety of racing disciplines, online and offline racing, the potential is there to create many paths through the game so we can each select how we want to get from A-Z. In the absence of using money glitches you are forced to slog through endlessly boring offline races to earn credits or take money out of your wallet to fill your garage and hotlap or race online in cars you really want to drive. Giving us a variety of ways to tackle the game and some decent AI, and there would be a lot less complaining, although it'll never go away completely.
 
The Nordschleife was actually hidden in very early versions of GT5. I'm not sure if I remember the unlock conditions correct but I believe it was hidden until you reached some A-Spec level which allowed you to take part in the Mercedes-Benz Driving Academy special events, which you still had to finish to unlock it for other game modes. Then some update changed it so it unlocks from the start.

Rumors about mechanical damage magically unlocking at level 40 also come to mind. And without the internet you wouldn't have known that GT5 has endurance races until you played far into the career. And I doubt every GT5 player looked up the official car list and read through it to actually know which cars might be hiding in the Used Car Dealer.

Hidden content was handled generally awful in GT5 and I think it shouldn't return. Exclusiveness of certain cars is cool in a nerdy way though.
 
I'm glad that all cars are able to be purchased from the dealership, really. I want it to stay that way. I shouldn't have to pass X event to get Y car if I really don't want to (or can't) complete said X event.
 
I definitely miss the used car dealership and any secret elements to the game. Without it, the game lost a lot of character, its harder to pretend your really buying an old car.
 
I really couldn't care less about 'secret' crap because I don't have the time to unlock the damn things.
 
Secret cars would not be appealing to me at all and I would say not to most players. It is nice to have prize cars but it is also nice to be able to buy and sell those same cars.

I miss a few things from older GT games, From GT4, A-Spec points, Being able to reset an event and win the car again, B-Spec as it was in GT4, prize cars for each event/series. From GT5 Expert Seasonal A-Spec races, Shuffle races, Community features such as messaging, sharing cars, gifting and having an option to turn collisions off in an online lobby if desired.
Getting cars from each event was great. I don't know why this feature has been eliminated. Maybe Kaz has secretly started working with Pcars or Turn 10. That's why GT6 has been getting rid of features that we like - he's pushing us to a different game for his own profitability!
 
I miss the prize cars & the 'used car' dealerships. One the one hand I like the convenience of having everything in the dealerships but I really wouldn't mind having some prize cars that would only be available via winning championships or something. I loved finding the the special black cars that would pop up once in a while in the used car dealers in GT4.
 
I liked the randomness of the UCD in GT5 and I also like the fact that all cars are available (brand new) in GT6. It's a half dozen of one, six of the other.

More prize cars? Sure.
 
Last edited:
I'm glad that all cars are able to be purchased from the dealership, really. I want it to stay that way. I shouldn't have to pass X event to get Y car if I really don't want to (or can't) complete said X event.
I hope that's not a metaphor for your view of life. As in, "I want the same advantages as people who plan their lives and work and study hard to acheive what they want. I should be entitled to have everything they earned through sacrifices I'm unwilling to make."
 
I hope that's not a metaphor for your view of life. As in, "I want the same advantages as people who plan their lives and work and study hard to acheive what they want. I should be entitled to have everything they earned through sacrifices I'm unwilling to make."
It isn't my view of life. This is a game, and you seem to be forgetting that.

It's also absolutely hilarious and asinine for you to make that large of an assumption about someone's life and/or their view on it in such a fashion.

Then again, argumentum ad homenim is rampant on the internet. Attack the argument, not the opponent.
 
Last edited:
It isn't my view of life. This is a game, and you seem to be forgetting that.

It's also absolutely hilarious and asinine for you to make that large of an assumption about someone's life and/or their view on it in such a fashion.

Then again, argumentum ad homenim is rampant on the internet. Attack the argument, not the opponent.
I didn't attack you, just what seemed to be your attitude toward the game. After all, this is supposed to be a sim, but we know it's not. My problem with GT6 is that it seems to be designed so everyone can gold everything and have equal access to everything, even though many don't put in the hours of practice to earn it. There are few rewards for people who truly excel, and anybody with opposable thumbs gets everything. There is no built-in incentive to truly excel. I think many of us would try harder and become more invested if prizes were more exclusive.
 
I didn't attack you, just what seemed to be your attitude toward the game. After all, this is supposed to be a sim, but we know it's not. My problem with GT6 is that it seems to be designed so everyone can gold everything and have equal access to everything, even though many don't put in the hours of practice to earn it. There are few rewards for people who truly excel, and anybody with opposable thumbs gets everything. There is no built-in incentive to truly excel. I think many of us would try harder and become more invested if prizes were more exclusive.
I earned the money to pay for the game, "earning" more money in the game to pay for cars I already paid for seems ridiculous to me.

What we need are several game modes, like Sandbox (get everything on day 1), traditional GT Career Mode, Real Career Mode (with separate paths for different disciplines) and Online Career Mode as a minimum. Create the options, let people progress through the game in the way they find most enjoyable/challenging/fun/interesting or whatever it is they are looking for in the game. One-size-fits-all game design should really be renamed one-size-fits-almost-no-one. It's simply impossible in a game of this size and scope to create one path through it and expect to satisfy anything but a tiny minority of players.
 
I didn't attack you, just what seemed to be your attitude toward the game. After all, this is supposed to be a sim, but we know it's not. My problem with GT6 is that it seems to be designed so everyone can gold everything and have equal access to everything, even though many don't put in the hours of practice to earn it. There are few rewards for people who truly excel, and anybody with opposable thumbs gets everything. There is no built-in incentive to truly excel. I think many of us would try harder and become more invested if prizes were more exclusive.

I would lime there to be challenges that people cannot gold, but those challenges should not restrict people from obtaining cars in the game. Now, if it eliminates the need to grind for that specific car then that is fine and dandy.

You shouldn't require people to invest their time in the game to access the content.

License tests should be harder again. I don't want to gold them on the first try with my DS3. I want GT3 level license tests again.

Make challenges hard so that people who get gold can get through the career mode easier while leaving the content available to all. (The way GT3 did it, I believe.)
 
I would lime there to be challenges that people cannot gold, but those challenges should not restrict people from obtaining cars in the game. Now, if it eliminates the need to grind for that specific car then that is fine and dandy.

You shouldn't require people to invest their time in the game to access the content.

License tests should be harder again. I don't want to gold them on the first try with my DS3. I want GT3 level license tests again.

Make challenges hard so that people who get gold can get through the career mode easier while leaving the content available to all. (The way GT3 did it, I believe.)
We've always had to invest time in games to access all of the content. For instance, when you're new to a fighting game, you can't jump straight to the final boss and see the end movie, you have to work your way thru the game. When you're new to a shooting game, you can't instantly have all of the gun upgrades, you have to work thru the game to earn those upgrades. Nothing new with GT6 in that regard.
 
Nope. Nope nope nope nope. The game is already bad enough at letting you access the content in it. One of the few unilateral improvements over the previous games, and since GT6 reverted most of the positive changes it'd be nice to at least keep that one safe. If they want to reimplement the UCD (and do it in a way that makes more sense than GT5's), no problem; but keeping players from ever accessing certain cars because they can't do a slalom licence test or whatever is beneficial to no one.

I think there is room for the more unusual cars like the VW Kubelwagen typ82 '44 (why is this in the game anyway??) to be prize only
 
We've always had to invest time in games to access all of the content. For instance, when you're new to a fighting game, you can't jump straight to the final boss and see the end movie, you have to work your way thru the game. When you're new to a shooting game, you can't instantly have all of the gun upgrades, you have to work thru the game to earn those upgrades. Nothing new with GT6 in that regard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_CARS

Slightly Mad Studios' stated aim is a "sandbox" approach to the racing genre that allows the player to choose between a variety of different motorsports paths and immediate access to all included tracks and vehicles.[6] Project CARS will portray racing events spanning multiple days, progressing from shakedown and qualifying runs to the race itself, while changes in weather and lighting conditions are simulated dynamically.

What we need are options. You choose Classic GT Career Mode if that's what you enjoy, I'll choose Sandbox Mode because I have zero interest in "earning" cars, I just want to drive, tune and race. Options are the future, single path career modes are the way of the past.
 
Nice to see some debate here, here's my 'solution':
Cars from the cheapest Honda Fit to the ultra-expensive Ferrari 330 P4 should be ready to purchase.
Prototypes or unusual cars (VGT cars for example, or the mentioned Kubelwagen) should be locked but once won after a special event/completion percentage etc. you can purchase them unlimited times.
No useless prize cars you can already buy from the dealership, just higher payouts so you can grab whatever you want/need.
Carbon fiber Formula Gran Turismo or particular liveries are nice 'secret' addition, one time prize or unlimited purchase after unlock?
Well, if it's just a livery I'd go for the one time prize.
 
I favour the concept cars (prototypes) being prize only, as they're not for sale in real life, it always feels stupid paying for them in game.
 
Last edited:
We've always had to invest time in games to access all of the content. For instance, when you're new to a fighting game, you can't jump straight to the final boss and see the end movie, you have to work your way thru the game. When you're new to a shooting game, you can't instantly have all of the gun upgrades, you have to work thru the game to earn those upgrades. Nothing new with GT6 in that regard.
This discussion doesn't pertain to the game's progression like upgrading a gun or jumping to the final boss does. This pertains to cars being locked away, which don't pertain to the game's progression.

I'm fine with racing events being locked away until you complete a license because that's part of the GT formula, and it follows with other games where you unlock the later content as you progress. However, i feel that locking content away, that's not part of the progression, is silly. There shouldn't be exclusive cars. Exclusive liveries are fine. Exclusive achievements are fine. Requiring that challenge in order to get 100% is fine. Not being able to purchase/acquire a car because someone doesn't want to do some challenge for whatever reason is silly. The only reason we should have hard challenges is to make it easier for those who took the time to complete them. Get all gold in the Super License? Hand out a car that will be useful in some of the S license events, or hand out one of the more expensive cars in the game.

I understand the opposing point of view, I really do. I found it okay in GT3 and it was a little annoying in GT4.

What will I do if they reintroduce cars exclusive to beating challenges? I'll suck it up and beat them since I want 100%, but I won't like doing it.
 
Prize cars are fine, but you should still be able to purchase them from dealerships as in GT6. Still never got a chance to drive the Model T in GT4. If I recall it involed golding all of some difficult license test. Could have been the Super tests. (Where's my GTPedia?)
 
Prize cars are fine, but you should still be able to purchase them from dealerships as in GT6. Still never got a chance to drive the Model T in GT4. If I recall it involed golding all of some difficult license test. Could have been the Super tests. (Where's my GTPedia?)
It was full gold on the S License.
 
Back