Optimum race line - how to display?

• Thread starter yanogore
  • 15 comments
yanogore
Hi all,

Just a quick question: is there any way to display Optimum race line in the GT4? I was trying to find the option but did not found anything :/ Where to look for it, can anyone help?

thx

Welcome to GTPlanet, yanogore: You can only get the optimum racing line when driving the license tests, and by pressing R3 at any time. You can toggle it on and off (blue for acceleration, red for braking, white for off-throttle).

It does not work in the races, you just have to learn them yourself. Previous GT games had a darker racing line (it's clearest in GT2, in my opinion), as well as in the original GT and GT3. But for in GT4, Polyphony Digital introduced a "more-or-less" real-life racing line, since there are also tire marks showing how to run off the track. It's not always accurate for every car, and skid marks are sometimes placed to fool you more than help you.

Your best bet is to practice the license tests and practice, practice, practice... GT1 through GT3 had manuals going over the basics of car control and racing lines, but GT4 sort of short-changed the buyer. Do a search on our boards to read up on car control and racing lines, and maybe even watch some real road racing on TV for an idea of how it's done.

One thing you might find handy is study the AI. Since they aren't very creative and thus quite conservative, you can pretty much brake later and accelerate harder than they can whilst sticking to their line.

Just test out the tracks and see what lines work for you.

-> The best thing is to do a time attack on any car that you feel challenged, then save your ghost replay. After that, beat your best performance lap after lap then if you beat it save it again.

-> It worked with mine while doing the 'garage attack' @ Autumn Ring. I will use that certain vehicle for one warm-up lap, two attack laps (note: after the 2rd attack lap, if you still be able to beat your time/ghost, keep going until you reached your limit), and one (final) to go into a complete stop. ;)

Last edited:
Welcome to GTPlanet, yanogore: You can only get the optimum racing line when driving the license tests, and by pressing R3 at any time. You can toggle it on and off (blue for acceleration, red for braking, white for off-throttle).

Just wanted to add: the racing-line only works for the B and A licenses. Once you get to I-B, I-A, and S licenses, this feature is no longer used.

I watched my newphew play Forza the other day and noticed that racing lines are used more often thruout the game, hence, that might be why yanogore expects to find them in GT4.

Back