Over-revving damages your engine!

• Thread starter iLex
  • 68 comments
This is an interesting thread, good to read everyone's experiences 👍

Has anyone thought to test power loss relating to engine wear rather than mileage, by butting a car up against a wall and taping the accelerator button down for a few hours so that the mileage remains the same but the revs are constantly above the red line?

This is an interesting thread, good to read everyone's experiences 👍

Has anyone thought to test power loss relating to engine wear rather than mileage, by butting a car up against a wall and taping the accelerator button down for a few hours so that the mileage remains the same but the revs are constantly above the red line?
Seems to me that could be an interesting experiment, however, it's not one I feel inclined to try.

A partial answer to the question might be this, however. In my Ford GT experiment, the engine would have turned far more revolutions in the third part than the first. Yet the horsepower occurred at the exact same mileage. Had my results been otherwise, if the point where loss occurred was different, I had intended to try even taller gears so the revs would have been well under the redline instead of just under. This would have been to determine if it was the redlining that was responsible, or total engine revolutions.

The result was the power loss occurred in all three cases at the exact same mileage. Graphing horsepower vs mileage produced identical curves. Conclusion: redlining/rev limiter had no effect on power loss; only mileage had an effect.

Great test! Thanks! +REP
This can't be said for all cars, though. I still have a giulia with power loss at 50km and one almost without power loss at 250km.
I can't find any other explanation for this than the overrevving, or am I missing something?

Great test! Thanks! +REP
This can't be said for all cars, though. I still have a giulia with power loss at 50km[B/] and one almost without power loss at 250km[B/].
I can't find any other explanation for this than the overrevving, or am I missing something?
Maybe you forgot to put the oil in the Guilia when you first got it. 💡 The stock oil wears out much quicker than the "GT Oil."

CNG
Maybe you forgot to put the oil in the Guilia when you first got it. 💡 The stock oil wears out much quicker than the "GT Oil."

Interesting, that might be the case...
But does itwear out after only 50km? That would be very quick! :scared:
I can't remember, usually I change the oil. But if I didn't, does that mean that a car would permanently lose the HPs? And I'm almost completely sure I never had to change worn out oil on the car.

I haven't checked, but my guess is that the current amount of bhp is also lower than the normal bhp when you get the car (without oil change).

Probably we won't find any answers without me testing it... I'll have to find some time, though.

Maybe some cars are "lemons" just like in real-life, wheras others of the same make & model perform fine even with lots of abuse.

....where is Sucahyo when you need him???? :)

Dear fellow GT fans,

Hereby I apologise for this thread. Apparently I did some reverse logic...

I just won two new Giulias to start testing my theory, but I never got to the test. I gave both the Giulias an oil change, looked at the bhp.... it said 121 (like the "abused" giulia). I then got into the 129 bhp giulia to see if I accidently left some tuning options on it. Luckely that was not the case. So what made the difference between the HPs of both cars?
Then an idea struck me. I saw some posts about "breaking a car in" and I think this was the case. Probably the "unabused" giulia had gained some bhp by me driving it for a few miles. The other car was in the garage after only 50km and when I looked at it after some time I thought it lost the hps.
But the difference between the two giulias was most likely not the result of one losing HPs, but of the other one gaining HPs. I'm sorry that you all spent the time to help me with this. Thanks a lot though!

Regars, iLex

I've been hearing some strange cases. Gaining power, that is.

I know someone who was running an E-Type in a challenge against me, and it gained some 40HP, and now he was fooling with the M3 GTR Race Car, tweaking the LSD just like last time, and it grabbed a solid 50 hp. VERY strange, eh?

Back