Overdrive Gears?

United States
The U.S
Blu_Subaru22
This is kind of weird. I purchased a Pontiac GTO and a Ford Mustang. As the Horsepower and RPM's stated, they looked both powerful and decent. I went to test course with a mustang, confident enough that I might be able to beat the japanese vehicles. But became disapointed when it was stuck on gear 5 and was only able to obtain the 157 mph.

Then I tried the Pontiac GTO. I already knew from the start that this car was heavy and slow in acceleration. But I thought that it might make up for the flaws with pure overall speed. Again, seriously disapointed at the fact that its top speed was around the 160 mph range.

Last edited:
I think most american muscle cars aren't tuned for long distance straights. They seem to be tuned for drag racing really. I think thats why they have 3-4 gears anyways.

how much tuning can you afford? that usually bumps the top end out, especially of you play with the gears. btw, does the PSP version include wind drag like 4 did? that tends to hang out the car to dry.

you don't "buy" tuning, you can tune all (of GT4's options) but the power, weight, and gear ratios (I think), in the modes that are not drift challenges. Drifting has the option of power and weight changes

The is no gear ratio tuning in GT PSP so you are at the mercy of the manufacturers gearing and the wind. The muscle cars are good at accelerating up to about a 1/4 mile... which coincidentally is the length of a drag strip.

Not exactly. I mean yeah maybe 295 horsepower would mean at least good acceleration. But then theres the corvettes and camaros. Camaros do have pretty good top speed, same with the corvette grand sport, but they accelerate like turtles in some cases.

You got to remember that when it comes to top speed, it isn't about how much horsepower the vehicle has, its about its gear ratios. You could have a 800hp beast, but in order to hit over 200mph, you need a wide gear ratio.

You got to remember that when it comes to top speed, it isn't about how much horsepower the vehicle has, its about its gear ratios. You could have a 800hp beast, but in order to hit over 200mph, you need a wide gear ratio.

Yes you need to be geared to go to the higher speeds, BUT the car needs the Power to get you there, the faster you go the stronger the wind resistance, and blah blah blah, cars are geared to match the power they put out. 295hp is not enough power to get the Stang to 200mph even if the car is geared up for it. Plus after 150mph the car loses its drag efficiency and gets unstable.

Lets also keep in mind the gears include overdrive gears...

@ Lancia stratos

When the gears are topping out at low speeds, its considered short (You spend a short time in each gear), when they are set up for faster speeds they are tall (you spend a longer/"taller" time in each gear).

The Stang being a budget muscle car, is not equipped to handle speeds over 150mph in any department. Not enough power to really take it further, not good enough brakes/suspension/drag efficiency to deal with those speeds. It would cost too much to make it go faster for the Price market they have the car in.

If you want to go faster, then you either need to go aftermarket with parts, OR buy a car designed to go faster from the factory, take the ZR1 for example & compare it to a C6 (not a ZO6, but the base model C6) and see the difference....

Another note to keep in mind, is some of the Super fast super cars that go from 200mph to 250mph, they sell for ridiculous prices (1million, half a mill, etc) Some of these cars when sold at those prices the manufacture loses money on each sale [do you know how much gold is in the engine bay of the McLauren F1? They use it to dissipate the heat, and gold works best] (this is a good reason why a lot of these cars are limited productions) Its about prestige, and an adaptation of the old saying from NASCAR "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday".

I did a test run on de la sarthe (old.) I reduced the weight on the Mustang to 1332 kg. It was able to go up to 156 mph. Yeah, I guess it was the weight of the car that was holding it back a little. But the gear ratio on gear 5 is just plain crazy.

EDIT: I juiced the horsepower on the mustang to 360. It was only able to obtain 165 Mph. My prodrive is pointing and laughing

I did a test run on de la sarthe (old.) I reduced the weight on the Mustang to 1332 kg. It was able to go up to 156 mph. Yeah, I guess it was the weight of the car that was holding it back a little. But the gear ratio on gear 5 is just plain crazy.

EDIT: I juiced the horsepower on the mustang to 360. It was only able to obtain 165 Mph. My prodrive is pointing and laughing

How much faster can the ZR1 go...

Last edited:
Corvette ZR-1 '90

HP: 376 weight: 1600kg Speed:185

HP: 376 weight: 1320kg Speed: 186

HP: 457 weight: 1360kg Speed: 189 (Could not go higher because it dropped speed on gear 6.)

Corvette ZR-1 '09

HP: 639 Weight: 1508 Speed: 219

HP: 639 Weight: 1281 Speed: 220

HP: 804 Weight: 1281 Speed: 230 ( No surprises)

Last edited:
I get the ZR1 up to 220mph completely stock minus R3 tires, no tuning at all. Same conditions I got the Mustang up to 157mph.

Corvette ZR1 09
Top Speed: 220mph
Power: 639hp
Weight: 1508kg

Mustang GT 05
Top Speed: 157mph
Power: 296hp
Weight:1568kg

Differences

Speed: 63mph

Power: 343hp

Weight: 60kg

Corvette ZR1 is MUCH more drag efficient and designed to be stable at 200mph speeds.....

Last edited:
5th gear in the Stang is an overdrive gear btw, and designed for the car to be a easy daily driver, not a pure bread sport car, but an econo sport car.

Gran Turismo is using the TRUE gear ratios of the cars in question... For example lets look at the 05 Stang GT

In GTPSP if you check the gears they use on the mustang they are as follows;

1st: 3.38:1
2nd: 1.32:1
3rd: 2.00:1
4th: 1.00:1
5th: 0.68:1
Reverse: 3.38:1

FD: 3.55:1

Then if you check whats used on the life version, its as follows;

Transmission: Tremec 3650 5-Speed Manual
1st Gear Ratio: 3.34:1 (first gear is the only gear that is slightly off the actual specs, not by much)
2nd Gear Ratio: 2.00:1
3rd Gear Ratio: 1.32:1
4th Gear Ratio: 1.00:1
5th Gear Ratio: 0.68:1
Reverse Ratio: 3.38:1
Final Drive Ratio: 3.55:1

real world ratios sourced Here

Last edited:
I just tweaked the horsepower on the Corvette ZR-1 '09 to max thats all.

What track? Your running a drift trial, and in that mode you cant access the Big O Test Track.

For Top speed testing thats really the best place to go to see the cars max out.

Ohh and to give you an idea of how much the drag efficiency effects the Top Speed, Swap the ZR1 engine & Tranny into the Stang, and she will top off at 206mph. 14mph slower then the ZR1 Same Power same gearing while there is a bit of a weight difference, the better aerodynamics of the ZR1 account for most of that gain.

Last edited:
Maybe, but since I can't use Test course, this track seems to be my alternative. I'm even surprised at how smoothly I can navigate a heavy car on the bumpy road.:)

Maybe, but since I can't use Test course, this track seems to be my alternative. I'm even surprised at how smoothly I can navigate a heavy car on the bumpy road.:)

Your always going to be a few mph slower then the actual top speed the car is capable of.....

Use the test track in Time Trial...

Well your top speeds are inaccurate and well far off in some cases (10mph for the mustang)

Also the cars in the game are not speed limited like the real world counter parts, so the mustang in the game will actually go faster then the Real Mustang that is limited to 150mph.

Are American cars underpowered? Not really, when you consider the ZR1, Viper, Dodge SRT line up, Ford GT, etc...

That's like saying Italian cars are underpowered because of Fiat, or that Japanese cars are underpowered because of the Civic/Prius (So many others) European Cars are underpowered because of the Astra, or German cars are underpowered because of the City Golf....

Is the Mustang underpowered, not really considering its a poor mans sport car...

Want a Mustang with more power? Get a Saleen, a Rouche or a Shelby ;)

Last edited:
I'm not saying all american cars are underpowered. However, a saleen and the GT are understandable. I was just a tad bit unsure of why the mustang was only capable of 140-148. I did test course with it thats how I got the 140-148. Thats with 296 horsepower. I had no idea that the mustang ( both in the game and in real life) have a overdrive gear. That's actually genius.

Back