pɐǝɹɥʇ lɐᴉɔᴉɟɟoun ǝɥʇ - ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀

I love how despite their commercials and political posters were everywhere, UAP hasn't won a single seat :lol:. They aren't even in the running to win the remainder.

Unfortunately, they likely won't be going anywhere. It's run by out of touch billionaires who consider this just a few months pay

Last edited:
I love how despite their commercials and political posters were everywhere, UAP hasn't won a single seat :lol:. They aren't even in the running to win the remainder.

Unfortunately, they likely won't be going anywhere. It's run by out of touch billionaires who consider this just a few months pay
It's a joke of a party. They think that an aggressive strategy works but it really doesn't. All it does is repulse people and annoy them.

Attachments

• Youre Fired.gif
    Youre Fired.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
It's a joke of a party. They think that an aggressive strategy works but it really doesn't. All it does is repulse people and annoy them.
Yep, it's straight from the Trump playbook.
That may have worked in the US but was never going to work here.

Labor currently only needs to win 1 more Seat before it can officially form a Majority Government.

Fortunately for them, they are in winning in 1 more area left in Macnamara.

Theoretically, what would happen if the Party leader lost their electoral seat but the Party still wins the majority of seats anyway? Does the Party leader still get to be PM or do they need to pick a different one?

Theoretically, what would happen if the Party leader lost their electoral seat but the Party still wins the majority of seats anyway? Does the Party leader still get to be PM or do they need to pick a different one?
I believe (emphasis on "believe") that the theoretical party leader would indeed still end up as Prime Minister. Would probably not go down well with the opposition though :lol:

Last edited:
From the Parliamentary Education Office

What happens if the current PM and ministers of the cabinet lose their seats in the next election?​

A person can only be the Prime Minister or a minister if they are a member of parliament. So, if the Prime Minister or a minister lost their seat in an election they would no longer be a member of parliament.

The Prime Minister is the leader of the government and is chosen by a vote of the members of the government. The Prime Minister keeps their job as long as they are a member of parliament and retains the support of the government. If the Prime Minister lost their seat at the next election, their party would need to elect a new leader.

This happened in 2007, when the then Prime Minister, John Howard, was not re-elected to his seat. His party then needed to elected a new party leader who became Leader of the Opposition (since the party also lost the election). Since Federation in 1901, only 2 serving Prime Ministers have lost their seats at an election. The other was Stanley Melbourne Bruce in 1929.

Ministers are members of parliament and are appointed by the Prime Minister. If a minister lost their seat, the Prime Minister would need to appoint a new minister.

I stand corrected!
Not exactly a common occurence. I would have been guessing if I didn't look it up.
I knew Howard lost his seat, but they got smashed in the election too, so he was stepping down one way or the other.

I wish more voters had the guts to vote out ministers and leaders from their constituencies.
It's happened to a few other high profile ministers over the years and becoming more common.
The former treasurer Josh Frydenberg was ousted in the election also by an independent.

The benefits of ranked balloting. As long as you put the major parties in your preferred order at the bottom, your vote for the minor party always has a chance.
Such a good system yet most people aren't aware of it or how to use it properly because the Parties and Schools don't bother you teaching it properly (especially because Labor and Liberal don't want to leave the 2 party system)

Glad this election has shown signs that we could be transitioning to fully understand how to use preferential voting properly

Such a good system yet most people aren't aware of it or how to use it properly because the Parties and Schools don't bother you teaching it properly (especially because Labor and Liberal don't want to leave the 2 party system)

Glad this election has shown signs that we could be transitioning to fully understand how to use preferential voting properly
And so infuriating that I live somewhere with first past the post and the left-vote is split in half, so we are going to get another conservative government next week.

Dutton has been confirmed to be next Liberal party leader and will serve as the opposition leader.

That's one way to secure my vote to someone else

Last edited:
Agree that the next 5 years will be a telling time worldwide. Many economists are tipping heavy downturn, with people who have over mortgaged falling on the sword of increased interest rates and falling asset values. Time will tell.

Bread price link:
https://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/whatitcost/groceries .

Interest rate link:

Apologies, that was Sydney pricing. You’re right in saying national capital city house average is $928,812. https://propertyupdate.com.au/the-latest-median-property-prices-in-australias-major-cities/

I’m in Adelaide too, and built 5 years ago with a 5% deposit first home buyer scheme that my (now) wife and I saved up over a number of years while renting a unit. I paid $390k for the house, and since that time the median price in this suburb has gone up 55.79%, putting it’s value over $600k.

My point isn’t that you can’t find cheaper options for bread, interest rates or housing prices. Various options exist as they always did. I worked off of averages to try to demonstrate, that for the average person it is harder now than it was back then.

Let’s use your 1989 example and SA specifically. Wages are South Australia specific, adult full time ordinary hours from ‘Nov 89 & May ‘22. (Apples & apples).

Average house price 1989 SA= $92K
Average mortgage rate= 17%
Weekly mortgage payment= $305
Average weekly full time wage= $516.6
Mortgage % of income = 59.0%

Average house price today= $750k
Average mortgage rate= 6.06%
Weekly mortgage payment= $1046
Average weekly wage= $1622.9 per week
Mortgage % of income = 64.4%

It’s pretty tight, but even with your very specific example of SA and 1989, for full time workers your mortgage is still a 5% bigger chunk of your income in 2022. Also worth noting that full time employment has been decreasing as industries favour part time and gig style working.
In 1989 79.1% of workers were full time.
In Jan 2021 68.8% of workers were full time.
Those without full time employment (then and now) are pretty unlikely to get into the market.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying people in 1989 had it easy, but the mortgage rates, even in the most extreme years, do not counteract the ludicrous inflation of the property market.

I brought this over here as it's more AU specific.

There's far more to take into consideration than just these numbers though. The amount of added benefits now as compared to back then is quite significant. There was no first home owners grant, virtually no child care allowances etc. which help out quite a great deal for young families. It's far easier now for a family to have a dual income than it was back then too.

I honestly don't think it's that much different and if it weren't for the huge jump in prices over the last twelve months ($200k rise for me from $580k to $780k and then back down around $50k already since the end of financial year :crazy:) it would likely look very even, if not possibly slightly better now, and the figures for 2022 could still very well look better the by years end.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not saying it's not hard now, it's just always hard. Getting a foot in the door has always, and still is the key.

I brought this over here as it's more AU specific.

There's far more to take into consideration than just these numbers though. The amount of added benefits now as compared to back then is quite significant. There was no first home owners grant, virtually no child care allowances etc. which help out quite a great deal for young families. It's far easier now for a family to have a dual income than it was back then too.

I honestly don't think it's that much different and if it weren't for the huge jump in prices over the last twelve months ($200k rise for me from $580k to $780k and then back down around $50k already since the end of financial year :crazy:) it would likely look very even, if not possibly slightly better now, and the figures for 2022 could still very well look better the by years end.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not saying it's not hard now, it's just always hard. Getting a foot in the door has always, and still is the key.
I do agree with a lot of this and am grateful for the first home buyers grant for helping us to get a foot in the door. I genuinely believe that building with it is the best way into the market in modern times.

There’s some swings and roundabouts to these situations as well. There’s more government assistance, but cost of living for a lot of items (I’m gonna leave bread out of this) has increased. More dual income families, but less chance of getting a loan without it. Prices are going down, while rates are going up. We could go back and forth on whether 2022 or 1989 was worse, but I think it’s fair to say both are stand-out terrible times for home buyers.

I’m super glad I did it 5 years ago rather than now, as with the dramatic market changes, and significant changes in our personal situations as well, we probably would never have made it into the market.

I do agree with a lot of this and am grateful for the first home buyers grant for helping us to get a foot in the door. I genuinely believe that building with it is the best way into the market in modern times.

There’s some swings and roundabouts to these situations as well. There’s more government assistance, but cost of living for a lot of items (I’m gonna leave bread out of this) has increased. More dual income families, but less chance of getting a loan without it. Prices are going down, while rates are going up. We could go back and forth on whether 2022 or 1989 was worse, but I think it’s fair to say both are stand-out terrible times for home buyers.

I’m super glad I did it 5 years ago rather than now, as with the dramatic market changes, and significant changes in our personal situations as well, we probably would never have made it into the market.
Agreed on the highlighted part. I was going to add something like that in yesterday but didn't have time, and I think I mentioned something about it in the other thread. China, Russia and Covid have been a serious issue for the economy here of late and it's had more of an effect in the last financial year than what happened in '89.

Both had roughly 3% interest rate rises but 2021/22 had the added house price valuation increase (34% at one stage in my case but it's already dropped $50k so far this financial year) that wasn't so much of an issue back in the '89 and '90 period. The price bubble for houses is bursting right now so valuations by years end could look a bit different and in a couple of years be almost rectified. For the young people trying to get in to the market I sure hope it does 🤞 as it won't have too much of an affect on us oldies that aren't planning on selling or those who are downsizing. It will however come at the cost of higher interest rates unfortunately.

I was a late bloomer when it came to buying my house but I paid cash so that helped a lot (due to a car vs motorcycle crash payout) and I lucked in on a reasonable period to buy (just before the 1998 - 2003 boom), but all my friends that bought in the 80's went completely missing back in that earlier period and that's why I remember it so well. I was a single bloke with no wing man haha.

Some things have definitely risen in price but others seem to be far cheaper and others far more accessible, like plane tickets, mobile phones, TV's and technology gadgets in general for example, in fact the world as a whole has shrunk to the stage I can obtain almost everything I need from home rather than having to travel all the time. The convenience of not having to travel does make a positive difference in my spending at least, and things that were considered luxury items are now taken for granted and are common household items because of their affordability.

Times are tough all over ATM. It's not something that's only a young people problem. Us oldies are having our Super absolutely smashed when we need it the most, and such low interest rates have actually made our savings go backwards by not keeping up with the CPI for example... and unlike nearly every other person in Australia, not one red cent from our government for people like me (self funded retiree) through the whole Covid period... and while I am retired, I've still had to pay tax... on my own money... money that I've already paid tax on when I earnt it! The Government/system sucks unless you're one of the very rich rant over.

Last edited:
This discussion is hardly Jermaine to the thread topic. Come at me bro!

flight-of-the-conchords-9_xqczt3.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back