• 48 comments

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

Grimm6Jack

(Banned)
Portugal
Setubal, Portugal
Grimm66Jack
Just curious to know what people around here would rather have.

Do you prefer the Free DLC content that you've been having since the game's release until now, which consists of basically 3-5 cars alongside some small adjustments and events, and very, very rarely get a track (2-3 per year basically) or the following Paid DLC Content every month (with the January and maybe one of the summer months as breaks, because the PD staff are human and they do need some vacation and time with their families):

-8-10 Cars
-1 Whole New Track alongside some layouts every 2 months
-At least 2 Menu Books with championships / 1 Full Menu of Missions (interchangeable between these two) (Part of the Free Update)
-Adjustments to the game in regards to QoL and bug fixes. (Part of the Free Update)

For 10€/10$/10£ or even 5€/$/£ every month.

In return, Credit MTXs would no longer exist and the overall economy of the game, like the payouts and the way the roulette tickets work, would change for much better.

Last edited:
I would never vote for paid cars/tracks - you're just splitting the playerbase.

Quite frankly it would be a disaster for lobbies and online in general. You would have people not being able to race certain categories, potential for paid meta cars, stopping people from racing if they don't own a track, Sport Mode being a complete wash because you either split people up loads or don't use DLC content at all (a massive waste in that case), you'd have people kicked out of races/wasting time if the lobby switched to a track people don't own (probably just killing the lobby, and so nobody would use them anyway) - probably people kicking those using DLC cars if they deem it unfair, and so on.
There's countless issues that would destroy the online of the game, which is the whole reason every company moved away from DLC packs in the first place, it's not sustainable for the playerbase.

Respectfully, the game is what, £70? It doesn't need paid DLC nor would it work with the format of the game. On a monthly basis that's ridiculous and is near iRacing tier, for something that would deliver a flawed product.

I doubt they're hurting for money anyway. They are under Sony after all.

Last edited:

Quite frankly it would be a disaster for lobbies and online in general. You would have people not being able to race certain categories, potential for paid meta cars, stopping people from racing if they don't own a track, Sport Mode being a complete wash because you either split people up loads or don't use DLC content at all (a massive waste in that case), you'd have people kicked out of races/wasting time if the lobby switched to a track people don't own (probably just killing the lobby, and so nobody would use them anyway) - probably people kicking those using DLC cars if they deem it unfair, and so on.
There's countless issues that would destroy the online of the game, which is the whole reason every company moved away from DLC packs in the first place, it's not sustainable for the playerbase.

Respectfully, the game is what, £70? It doesn't need paid DLC nor would it work with the format of the game. On a monthly basis that's ridiculous and is near iRacing tier, for something that would deliver a flawed product.

A million times this.

And seriously @Grimm6Jack , you're going to tie QoL issues and bug fixes to paid DLC? Not even EA does that.

Last edited:
If I’m paying extra periodically, they must invest in better stewards to punish the plethora of dirty drivers to protect my investment.

And they neither have the technology, nor the resources to add mods to watch each online race…

…so no thanks

Where is the neither option? I preferred the rate of cars that sport had, but would much rather the current free content with more single player events, which as I said before, would be so easy for PD to add.

If there were to be a paid model I'd much prefer it to be a season pass style of thing like some games do, basically pay $30 and get access to all 2023 content, another $30 for all 2024 content, and so on. But generally for an online focused game, free content updates is better as they don't split the playerbase. I did end up buying all Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2 DLC so I guess they'd get me either way lol

I'll be more then happy to pay 9.99$ for a dlc pack of 8 cars and 1 track as long as the cars are up to date with some classics.

Just tell me how many wouldn't buy the following dlc pack if pd released it tomorrow.

ACURA ARX-06
BMW M HYBRID V8
CORVETTE C8.R
Ferrari 2016 488 GTE or FERRARI 296 GT3
Ferrari FXXK-Evo
PORSCHE 963
Mclaren Senna
Mclaren Longtail

Track - Sebring Raceway

How many here wouldn't buy that dlc pack?

I'll be more then happy to pay 9.99$ for a dlc pack of 8 cars and 1 track as long as the cars are up to date with some classics.

Just tell me how many wouldn't buy the following dlc pack if pd released it tomorrow.

ACURA ARX-06
BMW M HYBRID V8
CORVETTE C8.R
Ferrari 2016 488 GTE or FERRARI 296 GT3
Ferrari FXXK-Evo
PORSCHE 963
Mclaren Senna
Mclaren Longtail

Track - Sebring Raceway

How many here wouldn't buy that dlc pack?
Me. I wouldn't buy that. Because in my opinion it's not going to be worth it to me and the things I would pay to improve have no bearing on what cars are in the game. I understand collectors wanting more cars, but I find that list mostly useless to me and a track I feel is horribly soulless despite it's long history. But that's me. I also did pay for the Lewis Hamilton DLC in GTS because it gave me a bit more of a long term challenge with measureable goals and improvements to my driving.

It still dosent stop forza motorsport from charging for both cars and tracks

I wouldn't pay for that. Paying for it is not going to make PD work any harder than they are now. We will get what we get when we get it.

Charging $10/month would just make them seem to be the money grabbers that some keep complaining that they are....no thanks

I bought dlcs for acc, ac, ams2 and rf2. I didn't mind it because I got the base games for like 10€ and I knew what I was getting (cars, tracks etc).

For gt7 I paid 80€. Looking at what pd released so far and no announcements/roadmaps what's coming up next I won't spent more money on gt7...

No game I've ever played is worth £120 per year on top of the price I already paid at launch.

As others have also pointed out, splitting the online player base never works out.

Paying for bug fixes is a worse business practice than micro transactions.

I'm not actually against paid for DLC in general but this sounds spectacularly bad.

Sport Mode (especially this, which is GTs main focus apparently) and online Lobbies (this mode would indeed have a few issues) can be easily done with the game itself having the DLC track and cars available for "renting" in those same modes. The paid DLC would just be for you to have those cars and tracks available to buy and customize in the single player mode.

A million times this.

And seriously @Grimm6Jack , you're going to tie QoL issues and bug fixes to paid DLC? Not even EA does that.

Hahahahahahaa.

No.

Yeah, I should've specified that the QoL and bug fixes as well as the events would be a free update. I just tagged them along unconsciously.

Basically, 10€ (for every month we get an update, so 100€ per year, since I'm excluding the 2 months that the staff would take breaks) for 8 to 10 cars, 1 fully new track with layouts every 2 months (80 to 100 cars and 5-6 tracks per year).

I fully agree that this game would not need these kinds of MTXs, but let's at least be honest, with this practice, PD likely wouldn't have the need to have Credit MTXs and because of that, would also improve the payouts and overall economy of the game as the need to buy credits wouldn't matter.

The downside is that it would indeed split the fanbase. 10€ per month is probably pocket change for a lot of us, but there are indeed people who can't afford even that.

Will change the OP about the events and QoL/Bugs updates.

10€ every month, what are we smoking?

Sure, 1 car per euro sounds better than buying credits, but...don't give them ideas man!

10€ every month in exchange for dropping the Credits MTX and thus improving the overall economy of the game as the need to buy credits wouldn't exist in the first place (and this includes a plethora of things, the roulette system as well).

Seems like a good trade-off.

I wouldn't pay for that. Paying for it is not going to make PD work any harder than they are now. We will get what we get when we get it.

Charging $10/month would just make them seem to be the money grabbers that some keep complaining that they are....no thanks

Quite sure money is the best incentive you can give for a company (or anyone) to work harder. I put 10€ because that's really not much for the majority of people. Most other companies would probably charge over double that or more and probably for less.

Even at 5€, if we consider how many players would be willing to spend that for every monthly update, PD would be getting far more profit than their current Credit MTXs... Like seriously, 20€ for 2 million credits?

Last edited:
Sport Mode (especially this, which is GTs main focus apparently) and online Lobbies (this mode would indeed have a few issues) can be easily done with the game itself having the DLC track and cars available for "renting" in those same modes.
Would that defeat the purpose of being required to buy said DLC then? Also, see people being unable to join SSRX/Motegi lobbies back in GT5 days if you never had the necessary DLC.

10€ every month in exchange for dropping the Credits MTX and thus improving the overall economy of the game as the need to buy credits wouldn't exist in the first place (and this includes a plethora of things, the roulette system as well).

Seems like a good trade-off.
100-120 EUR per year for new content (since you said it's on monthly basis) is still a nickel-and-dime territory even if you take microtransactions out - on top of PS+ and equipment costs. You must have missed early 2010s where people complained about being nickel-and-dimed by plethora of DLC packs they have to get in general.

You might as well think of battle passes like The Crew 2 has (or car passes like Forza Horizon has).

100-120 EUR per year for new content (since you said it's on monthly basis) is still a nickel-and-dime territory even if you take microtransactions out - on top of PS+ and equipment costs. You must have missed early 2010s where people complained about being nickel-and-dimed by plethora of DLC packs they have to get in general.

You might as well think of battle passes like The Crew 2 has (or car passes like Forza Horizon has).

Indeed it is.

I'm just making a comparison and asking you all what you would prefer.

-The current content update for free.

Or

-About 2 to 3x more content but paying a fee of 10 or 5€/$/£ for every monthly update. I used 10 as a standard but I wanted to mean just a fee in general. Maybe 5 would be more in mind of most people and still a good enough cashgrab for PD. I was thinking monthly, but forgot about the yearly fee, which yes, 100€ per year is a considerable fee. 50€ would still be considerable as well, but probably a lot more reasonable for the people who really like Gran Turismo and want to play the game to its full extent without having to wait potentially years to get all of the content in the game.

The car/track bits would be unnacessible during single player gameplay (including tuning, liveries, buying the car, using the track) but acessible in Sport Mode and Lobbies. It's no different than what we have now, where people don't have certain cars but can rent them in the online mode. You would just lack the ability to tune them and make liveries for them online.
Wich is what I see as the main issue with the paid DLC content, even if it's dirt cheap, there would be players who wouldn't pay for it anyway, and thus, split the playerbase.

Last edited:
Indeed it is.

I'm just making a comparison and asking you all what you would prefer.

-The current content update for free.

Or

-About 2 to 3x more content but paying a fee of 10 or 5€/$/£ for every monthly update. I used 10 as a standard but I wanted to mean just a fee in general. Maybe 5 would be more in mind of most people and still a good enough cashgrab for PD. I was thinking monthly, but forgot about the yearly fee, which yes, 100€ per year is a considerable fee. 50€ would still be considerable as well, but probably a lot more reasonable for the people who really like Gran Turismo and want to play the game to its full extent without having to wait potentially years to get all of the content in the game.

The car/track bits would be unnacessible during single player gameplay (including tuning, liveries, buying the car, using the track) but acessible in Sport Mode and Lobbies. It's no different than what we have now, where people don't have certain cars but can rent them in the online mode. You would just lack the ability to tune them and make liveries for them online.
Wich is what I see as the main issue with the paid DLC content, even if it's dirt cheap, there would be players who wouldn't pay for it anyway, and thus, split the playerbase.

You seem to be under the impression that shilling money to PD will suddenly increase their production rates by literally 3x!

That's just not how it works my man. The quality of the content that PD produces takes time to make. Not money. Again, they are a Sony based company. Money isn't the problem.

Giving them money will make Sony richer and us poorer. It won't let them stick a £10 note into a DVD drive and spawn a HD model of a GT-ONE.

In my opinion having a paid DLC option doesn’t mean the content would improve or increase. If anything I think the content would be same as it is now, but you would have these DOCs every 4 months.

I saw somewhere in an interview that PD said it takes them around 3/4 weeks to produce one car. Also the other big issue is license fees and actually been able to get those licenses. Racing Cars are the big tell tell sign of possible license issues. All GT3 & GT4 cars are pretty much 2016 cars with a few 2018 models from the Japanese manufacturers.
Exclusive rights a big issue between games companies. Looks at the Rfactor2 and iracing issue they had over the last few months with Indy Car and Le Mans Series moving from iracing to rf2.

To be fair I’m fairly happy with the current updates. Obviously I wish the content would be a little better but guess that could be down to licensing issue?

The only paid DLC I could see PD introducing is something like Pikes Peak. An all-inclusive expansion with significant amounts of content in term's of track configurations. Cars I believe will always be free, same for tracks that have use in Sport mode.

Adjustments to the game in regards to QoL and bug fixes. (Part of the Free Update)

For 10€/10$/10£ or even 5€/$/£ every month.
I don't think so, to be honest. If they had sold a finished game perhaps. But...

First of all we spend 70 euros to buy a beta version of a racing game without up to date cars (there was no difference between UCD and brand central - just "old" cars everywhere) , without many legendary tracks, with a suspension physics which is completely in contrast to everything one knows in mechanical engineering, and finally with AI drivers who obviously did not read the fairness instructions, we had to read before entering online races.

After that the online community does PD's job, figures out all the bugs and some community members tune the buggy cars to make them drivable at all (thanks to Praiano and all the other tuners who do this with patience again and again and again whenever PD decides to chance PP systems, suspension settings or whatever ... Without their help most of us would have stopped playing the game months ago).

And after that we pay for bug fixes and a couple of cars and tracks 60 to 120 euros per year which is once or twice the price of the buggy beta game.

To be honest, I think of waiting, if the new forza is less buggy and more fair to the community. Then saving the money for the VR2 and buying an Xbox instead would be a good choice perhaps.

If Microsoft would be clever, they would offer Praiano an X-box, a fanatec wheel and a developer account so he could tune without caring about levels, credits or dollars,.
Then a lot of us would follow, Kaz could retire and PD focus on adventure games.

Fazit:
PD should apologize, fix all the bugs (before thinking of developing the next GT) and recognize that the customers already have bought a game which was announced to be over the top.

Regards
M

We don't live in the past. The reason it was paid back then was because those cars in those packs were new to the game, same as modes and tracks. With the new generation of consoles, many racing games are just re-introducing past cars into the new game. Technology changes, so they rework those specific cars. That should always be free. Plus as many mentioned already, you don't want to split the player base.

The only was I see a paid content is if they introduce large update, like a "Spec 2.0" or something. This is something that annual based games would benefit from but companies can't seem to work it out. If you look at WWE 2K23, is it really necessary to buy a whole new game for a new match and roster updates? What if they had a base game and then just did annual DLC expansions? I'm sure licensing would be an issue in some way but that's for these billion dollar companies to figure out.

Back