Paid liveries?

• Thread starter D-Max
  • 27 comments
Scotland
Ayrshire
Jimmy281090
A very odd question, but has anyone been paid, or been offered to be paid for liveries?
I’ve recently had multiple requests and I’m really unsure what to do. My time is mine and if I’m going into the effort of doing liveries for others, I’d like to benefit from it but on the other hand, I don’t want to take money.
Anyone have some thoughts on this?

A very odd question, but has anyone been paid, or been offered to be paid for liveries?
I’ve recently had multiple requests and I’m really unsure what to do. My time is mine and if I’m going into the effort of doing liveries for others, I’d like to benefit from it but on the other hand, I don’t want to take money.

Nothing but respect :bowdown:

But if a old, grumpy guy may give you an advice: Take money when you get money. It won't make you happy, but you can buy things which make you happy.

So, tell us more :D Who, how much, what and when has it to be ready?

Depends on what you want to do with it really.
I consider doing designs as "my time".
From experience in other Motorsport related bits, putting effort into things that you enjoy that is for other people can become like a job.
If you don't get paid for it then it can lead to resentment.

With the quality of your work I wouldn't be in a hurry to start doing designs on request for free.

Joker.jpg

It came from reddit at first and developed from there. I want to do it for cash but how do you also price these things? That’s what also makes me feel guilty. How do I price it? I don’t want to ask for too much and lose the custom but then, on the other hand I’m seeing it just like a micro transaction!

For me, not make any sense to me that there are paid liveries made by a player on GTSport no matter the quality of the painting, so much so that both liveries and decals are offered free by the community.

For example I like to create my liveries myself, I don't feel comfortable using a livery from the community but I enjoy the work of other players, and when I put my liveries on I offer them for free.

It came from reddit at first and developed from there. I want to do it for cash but how do you also price these things? That’s what also makes me feel guilty. How do I price it? I don’t want to ask for too much and lose the custom but then, on the other hand I’m seeing it just like a micro transaction!

Well, I think you have four possibilities:

- Take your income per hour from your job and multipicate it x2 cause of it's your free time.
- Ask them how much they want to pay. Accept or deny as you feel fine.
- Ask them to donate to a charity organisation the amount they want to pay for your work
- Just say no.

Reminds me, I sent this to gt.txt Twitter although it wasn't picked up:
upload_2020-1-29_15-6-6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

you could always setup Ko Fi or Patreon or something like that depending on what you want to do with it. Alternatively just tell them to send funds on PayPal.

I know people use my stuff online including helmets but that’s fine they were my designs. Requests would change that for me. Especially if they were competing pros.

I've often thought that if I had the time to get back into league racing, I'd like to commission someone to do a livery for me. I was thinking ~£10-20 for a basic livery (maybe a couple hours work) but if I was going for something that needed some serious SVG work etc you could go upwards from there... but that's just me

I've also thought about this as I have also been asked. The way I look at it is if I'm offered to be paid then I'll take it. If I am asked to do a livery and it's complex / too much work for free etc I can always say no.

That being said my business is a creative agency and I have been guilty of using GT Sport's Photomode for a client before (with their knowledge I might add) - Automotive studios are expensive and more often than not clients are cheap! These photos / liveries were charged but that was at our agreed creative hourly rate so no different from normal, just without the studio / logistics costs.

Jimmy, having seen the effort that must have gone into your team liveries I'm not surprised that you're thinking this. I think if you were to charge then you'd have to have varying prices depending on the individual needs. For example making the SVG's can be far more time consuming than the liveries themselves.

Last edited:
I've had direct offers for doing decals before but not accepted. There are a number of really helpful contributors on GTP who are kind enough to do stuff for free, who donate their time to enhance other peoples experience, and I think that's great.. in that respect I personally would feel bad charging for it.

On the flipside, if I was not able to do this stuff myself, and really wanted something specific, I'd probably gladly have the opportunity to pay for it (given requests for free had gone unanswered), so in that respect, its probably not a bad thing.... though having said that, if I'd asked, it is probably going to be something that was going to take you several hours, and if you were charging a commercial rate, that's going to make the livery cost more than the game... in which case, I'd probably not bother.

I suppose it depends on what you're comfortable with. If you think what you do is worth what you're asking for it, then you may as well. If people think you're taking the mickey, they're free to not use your services. You can't guarantee recognition for your work in any other way, so there's that too.

So after a lot of deliberation I made the decision to charge. For 4 liveries I decided to charge £30. I decided, being my first time, my time wasn’t worth very much during a time that I would be messing around on the livery editor anyway! The complexity is very low. If you look on my profile on gts, you’ll see the ‘FourLoko’ cars. 2 brand name decals were created with a set of camo shapes copied directly from an svg of the can I found online.
He has been a really easy guy to deal with and wasn’t bothered about secondary sponsors, just wanted FourLoko on the car really with a pattern to match the can. Fortunately, he was very first time!

@Racerx_34 ive seen a few of my liveries online. Mainly my F1 gtr and my dirty Fiesta gr b I entered into the LEC and won with.

@BoxwerxRacing the new team livery is very complex in design but upon application, it’s easy to figure out if you really want it to work. The theory was it would be used for iRacing liveries and gts would be really difficult to apply it as the decal is actually split into 30 decals designed to fit like a jigsaw with set layers being side by side and others designed to go below and above. So for something like that, I’d only charge a commercial rate as the work is very heavy!

Last edited:
So I’ve had my 4th go ahead since posting last. Very happy how it’s all turning out and every one of them have been brilliant to deal with! However my latest has been the biggest challenge. The test images are on my profile if anyone is interested. They are rough drafts and will have sharper better worked decals however. But it’s getting fun! This guy wants 10 cars in the same livery!

I've been pm'd by Bomex on Instagram about my Bomex graphic, they wanted to buy it from me.

Wether it was me asking too much, or they weren't the real Bomex, I don't know, but they never replied to my response haha. Oh well.

I've been pm'd by Bomex on Instagram about my Bomex graphic, they wanted to buy it from me.

Wether it was me asking too much, or they weren't the real Bomex, I don't know, but they never replied to my response haha. Oh well.
That’s just silly :confused::lol:

Is there a way to do a livery for just one person? Cuz if someone pays someone for a livery and they publish it, everyone else has access to it correct? I know nothing about liveries as I have made 1 mediocre one lol

Is there a way to do a livery for just one person? Cuz if someone pays someone for a livery and they publish it, everyone else has access to it correct? I know nothing about liveries as I have made 1 mediocre one lol
You can share a livery, someone applies the livery to the car and once it’s on, you can remove it from shared and the livery will stay on the car but you can’t remove it from the car

You can share a livery, someone applies the livery to the car and once it’s on, you can remove it from shared and the livery will stay on the car but you can’t remove it from the car
I think you can also share to only friends? So maybe you could add that person to your friends list and then do the steps above ??

I think so, I've not tried it to be honest

ERIgS8-WkAAVZJ4

But maybe you could share things that way to limit the access people would have to it and then once the person who paid for it has the livery, you could stop sharing it????
Yeah I’ve instantly stopped sharing as soon as I’ve had them apply them to the cars and they’ve been told, if any mistakes, it’s no problem, I’m happy to reshare eetc

Back