Pain & Heaven: Finale - Volume One (8/2/12)

• Thread starter Anathema
  • 334 comments
United States
Heaven's Fence
Anathema-Kure
Justin Jectlol
Hello all. FE10 here, with what promises to be my best Race Story/fanfic so far.

I have written and finished up to Chapter 9, and am working on Chapter 10 as I type this. I would have liked to wait until I had finished all 30 planned chapters, but I decided to start posting this.

(A Note: This is a GT5 fanfic - but I am stuck using the GT4 photos because my PS3 died, taking my GT5 save data with it. :scared: I've had to re-write a lot of the story to fit into the GT4 timeline - year and photo-wise.)

I hope you all enjoy this.

---

Prologue:

Some people think that the past holds a lot of advice about the future. All the past does for me is remind me of my own failures. The past will always stay in the past for me – it mocks me every time I think of it, turning me into a wreck. And the future... doesn't hold much weight in my life, either.

I live in the present. I live in the moment. Why? Because once you realize the moment is here... it becomes the past. And once you realize the future is about to happen - it becomes the present and the cycle repeats itself.
Again, why do I live in the present? It's a mindset that I've managed to foster. It may seem ludicrous to the rest of the world, but it makes sense from a certain point of view - I don't look forward to the future, or backwards to the past.
I'm not a jobless deadbeat, however. Many people assume that from a first glance - that, or an ex-rock star. I learned long ago that appearances deceive... What may be seen on the outside can be a complete and utter lie inside.
That being said... I hold a day job with a big office company - a 'corporate giant' if you will. Simple, average, 9-to-5 shifts, Monday to Friday. My own house, completely paid for. Still unmarried... and probably will never be happy in a relationship to begin with. Not with who I am as a human being. And... my only true thing that I exhort my pride and emotions on.

IMG0003.jpg

IMG0004.jpg

My only vice. Only thing I seriously care about in this life anymore. 330 fire-breathing, F20C-powered wild stallions. Nearly fully tuned (non-power-wise.) Sticks to the road like glue – my hidden gem in a field of dull nonsensical 🤬. It's cost me a lot - emotionally and in monetary terms - to find something like this car. I do all of my own suspension tuning and general maintenance.

Who am I? A lone man with a house and fancy car?

Yes... but I am also so much more. That past holds many secrets in the lives of others... and especially mine.

Who am I?

I am John van Druten. American-born, German descent. Only a few close friends. I don't drink, smoke, or anything else like that. I'm a quiet man.

This is my story.

------------------------------------

Chapter I:

"Good work today, John. We'll see you this Monday, after that god-awful race they hold..."

"I feel much the same way. Thank you for the compliment, Mr. Jameson."

"You're older than me, and insist on calling me a sir... Get out of here, you crazy dapper man."

"Will do so, sir."

"Oh Lord..."

Start of the weekend... again. I remember how weekends used to be...
And those memories soured in my mind as I also recalled how much those weekends had cost me. Wasted years...

"See you Monday, Mr. van Druten."

"Yes, ma'am."

Corporate America is run by little men in little cubicles. And also the freaks in Washington. And I happen to be one of the little men in a cubicle, stuck... pushing papers... all day. Even so, I don't enjoy the breaks from doing such work - it provides me with a way to keep my life in track.

That being said... I do enjoy one thing about leaving work on the weekends - or every day, for that matter:

IMG0005.jpg

Only real thing I live for anymore - a 2004 Honda S2000 Type-V. It's been modified by my cousin Rex - who happens to be the owner of a nearby HKS store. Life's funny that way - and a real 🤬 to deal with when it's on its period, so to speak.

Generally speaking, most of the people I work with view me as a slightly eccentric loner type who does his job without any questions asked, is respectful, and would be a better fit as a butler.

People make assumptions... and they are defeated by them.

Not many around me know I was once a professional racing driver, beginning at the tender age of 16. Where and in what series... You'll have to guess someday. Even so, the people that might recognize me in the slightest ask if I am indeed who I once was.

The answer is always the same - “Yes. I get that a lot.”

I lie because I don't wish to live those painful memories over and over again. Even so, I do sometimes dwell on them... and see exactly what a mess of my life I had made back then. Lying is a sin - but my form of lying is to protect myself and others from my past. Completely reasonable, when you look at it from that standpoint.

Only my closest friends know something of who I once was (and even then, they do not know who I truly am or what my true story is.) If you can call about three people my closest friends. The only time you might see a flash of my past - is on the previously mentioned drives home.

Just me, the S2000, and the winding roads of El Capitan.

IMG0006.jpg

The sensation of the G-forces pulling and pushing me around - the tautness of the suspension, feeling every bump and dip in the road surface.

IMG0007.jpg

Throw the car into the corners with reckless abandon like I used to - I know the limits, now. And far too late to learn them, in my opinion. I wasn't trying to match my driving with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater, but it just seemed to happen... automatically. Instincts, long forgotten - show the extent of my former life to no one but myself.

The approaching whine of a car coming up from behind me made me snap out of my reverie and begin to come back into myself. I'd rather not be recognized by some kid in a ricer with 400lbs of bodykits - my S2000 is one of only three in the area. And, if you didn't see from earlier... my boss doesn't care for anything about racing. His son died in a racing accident, I'm told...

IMG0009.jpg

IMG0008.jpg

"Hey, foo... Wanna race, me versus that little dillweed of a ricer you got there....?"

Interesting. A Dome Zero. I had little reason to believe that they had existed outside of Japan, and I'm sure that it would be terribly expensive to import... Probably some kit car that's been slapped together and held up with spit, Band-Aids and duct tape.

IMG0010.jpg

"Yo dawg, you're fast... but are you fast enough, man?"

I passed him on the outside in the following left-hander.

IMG0011.jpg

“Dayum... Dis guy's got the shizz rollin'. I'd better not mess with his 🤬."

IMG0014.jpg

I sped away into the growing darkness, wondering what guy would be that stoned and try to drive a car in his condition... I'm sure he was also drunk in addition to being high, and I'd learned long ago - drugs, alcohol, and cars do not mix.

I made my way home following the posted speed limit of 15 MPH - or, at least in the development where I lived. I lived on the top of a hill, with about a good 50+ yards of space between any other houses around me. The solitude... helps during the nightmarish nights I experience sometimes.

A two-story Colonial with a mainly brickish construction, the place I'd come to call home wasn't anything to look at. It was in good condition, however, and was well-maintained. Keeping things in order is my main goal in life these days, and I think I've managed to do that admirably.

Something... just didn't feel right though. It wasn't the sense of being watched... it was the sense of something to come. An 'ill foreboding', if you will. After parking in the garage, I shook it off, and went upstairs to make myself a dinner while I watched the local news.

As I did so, I noticed my iPhone was buzzing like it had to go out for a leak. I had forgotten it while heading out today, and I'm not usually bothered by anyone... anyone but my friends. And even then...

I picked it up and read the new notification, while also silently cursing in fluent Russian under my breath.

It read;

“Hey John; I entered my Camaro SS in a race tomorrow on Trial Mountain. I need some help on getting around the track and some racing tips. Can you come help me out early tomorrow morning?

Listen; I know that you are thinking that I am a fool. Maybe I am. But... could you please help me out for old times' sake?

-Ricky”

Good Lord, help me. Ricky Robledo is a classic car enthusiast with a lot of money and time, but not enough brains. And surely not enough talent to handle the wallowing pigs he usually likes to drive.
Every year since I'd moved to Montana after leaving the military, he'd try to get me to enter the annual SuperSport charity weekend that the city of Dapplering, Wyoming, would hold on Trial Mountain.
I'd always decline, because I don't enjoy racing in front of fifty thousand spectators – I prefer to be alone. Sure, the $10,000 cash prize was always tempting, but my desire for privacy always won out. Plus, I'm sure I would get fired from my job.

I supposed he finally worked up the courage to enter the SuperSport event. I knew it would probably end badly, but I after a while of deliberation, I decided to help him. He is a good friend with a kind heart, but a little... out of his element when it comes to anything but cars. I figured since I'm not racing, I can just spectate like usual and be his 'spotter', as the term in NASCAR is.

As I got ready for bed, I made my decision and began typing out a reply on my phone;

"I'll be there at eight AM sharp. You owe me one, though..."

He'll need the early morning practice. Now... to see if he gets his lazy posterior up and out of bed before 3:30, when the race actually starts.

Fin Chapter I

Last edited:
Great start, I hope you don't abandon this story. 👍

Definetly won't - going to release a chapter each Sunday morning so that I can finish the other chapters in the week. Should get... three done this week, or more depending on how many times I re-write them.

The cat's name is my actual real-life cat's name.

If I can get a pic with my phone, I'll post it too.

Chapters 11 and 12 are done. Working on Chapter 13. Considering posting Chapter 2 this Thursday.

Aren't they any photographers in the photomode section that can help you out with GT5 pics?

Aren't they any photographers in the photomode section that can help you out with GT5 pics?

I had forgotten about this by the time I had taken around half of the new photos. I suppose I had gotten too far in... I mean, I could still do it, but I also do like to do things myself, just personal preference. I kinda put too much effort into doing in on GT4 by this time. Sorry if this bothers you, but I don't think it's needed or required at this time. Sure, it'd be nice - but I did too many changes already.

I might do the sequels or companion stories with this method if I don't get a new PS3 by then.

New chapter IS definitely coming on Thursday (I leave for a trip on Friday and get back on Sunday afternoon. Don't want to keep you all waiting.

Decided to get Chapter Two in earlier than planned due to me going on a trip to Harrisburg for the weekend. Kinda feel like this turns dark early, but then the story IS about John's dark past. Chapter Fourteen has been split into halves due to sizing, but I've finished the first half and will get the second half done tomorrow, then I will go through and rewrite them - and depending on the time I have, I MAY get Chapter Fifteen done.

If you spot any grammatical errors and such, let me know and I will fix them ASAP.

---

Chapter II:

Location: Trial Mountain, outskirts of Dapplering, Wyoming. Date: March 15th, 2005

Like I said I would, but still against my misgivings, I got up at 7:00, had breakfast, jumped in the S2000, and headed down to the track. I keep my word – if I even ever give it.

Trial Mountain had – and has - always been a place for trials and upsets – a few years back, Tony Stewart had crashed his #20 Pontiac during the race, and somehow fixed it, then clawed his way back to win it on his way to his first championship.
And the one time a ALMS event was held here – all the DP and high-end cars crashed, letting a GT1 Porsche take home the overall win. Don't know how it happened, but it did.

As always, the gate crew had to check all the cars entering the garage area, but this year, the inspection seemed a lot more thourough.

I asked why, and all I got was a curt response saying;

“There's been a rash of... hidden weapons... and other unsavory items lately. Just checking.”

Well, figures. Freaking drug runners who come to the races. Another reason I almost never go. I was approached a few years ago by some druggies. They ended up in the hospital, while I just had a broken finger.

As I drove to the area Ricky had told me to meet him at, I noticed a lot more high-end cars than usual in the area – a reddish Jaguar XKR, a red Ford GT with a huge shopping cart handle on it, and quite a few Saleens.

I parked the S2000 and walked to where I saw a pair of legs sticking out from under a maroon-and-white Camaro SS.

“Fancy meeting you here,” I said to the legs. Ricky's head appeared two seconds later as he pushed himself out from under the Camaro.

“John! Good to see you so bright and early. Thanks for coming out to help me. Getting set up for my first track test run.”

“They allow those now?” I asked. My interest level rose. The race organizers had never allowed that before.

“Oh yes. They only decided that a week ago. Good thing for me, and a big reason I decided to sign up.”

“Ahh. I see the point now – they need new faces doing the event.” Figures. The race has been losing money for the past five years on this event.

“Yeah, I guess. Want to ride shotgun?”

“Not really – I had thought I could be the dude yammering in your ear through the race.” Are you MAD? You CAN'T drive well and you ask me to ride shotgun, plus you've never track tested that boar? No way.

“That works too, I guess.”

He got in and fired the Camaro up. That old smell of classic hotrod filled the area as he drove off after giving me the headset and a small TV.

#Ok. Just take it easy out of the pits. It's not timed until the second-

IMG0015.jpg

#WOOOHOOOO!

#Good Lord. What have I gotten myself into....
I turned off the “recieve” setting, which only allowed me to talk, but not hear his yammerings.

#Ok. Take it nice and clean through the first set of s-bends... Oh, nevermind.

IMG0016.jpg

He had decided to punch it in without any thought or care in the world. Not an auspicious beginning.

IMG0017.jpg

#Jeez... get it under control and go through the tunnel cleanly. Very simple.

IMG0018.jpg

#Excellent. Now here's another set of S-bends – brake cleanly and turn.

IMG0019.jpg

IMG0020.jpg

#Perfect! Now, after this right-hander is the long straight. Be careful at the end and brake properly, then head through the right-left-right section while easing off the gas throughout. After this is a downhill turn – BE CARE-

IMG0022.jpg

Judging by the static that had suddenly filled the headset, even with the recieve button of he was either cursing or he had crashed. As I saw his car still going forward on the monitor, I guessed cursing.

#Still alive? Ok, now don't aim at the final left-hand apex – it'll send you flying... Oh. Oh well.... Hold on...

IMG0024.jpg

That must have unbalanced him, because I saw the car yawing wildly past the pits and then spinning out on the monitor.

IMG0025.jpg

IMG0026.jpg

IMG0027.jpg

Somehow he did a 360-degree spin and kept it going. I was shaking my head – until I noticed a red sports car coming up behind Ricky.

IMG0028.jpg

#Ok, red car behind you. Watch your back.

He made it through the s-turns totally fine. However, once on the straight -

IMG0029.jpg

#Steer into the skid – oh 🤬

IMG0030.jpg

The red car had caught him – and the Camaro's tail caught the nose of the red car.

#Come on, save it - 🤬 Throw your hands up like Danica did-

IMG0031.jpg

I turned away from the monitor. From here I had still heard the crunch of that 3.5 kilo machine slamming into the steel guardrail in front of the lake.

Later...

After three hours, I was finally able to walk down to the crash scene. The car had flown out into the lake after shredding the guardrail. Glass, sheet metal, and twisted steel lay everywhere. The driver of the red car had jumped out of the car and dove in after what was left of the Camaro. Why, I don't know.

Ricky owed the mysterious driver his life. The police had said that if the driver had not saved Ricky, he'd be dead right now. As it was, he was still in very critical condition. They had told me the bill would be a large amount – at least $10,000 or more. I don't have that kind of money – the S2000 had cost over $45,000, plus I had finally finished paying off the home this year AND the S2000's payments this week.. I had less than $500 to my name at that point.

I was still standing there, looking at the carnage, when a track official came up to me.

“You were Ricky... Robledo's... friend?”

“Yes.”

“Well... we still need a racer and car for his event race. There's a $2,000 purse.”

“So... you want me to race...”

“Yes – otherwise we have to cancel that heat.”

“....Fine. I'll do it to pay for Ricky's medical bill.”

“Awesome! It starts in half an hour. What is your car and name?”

I wrote down my car and my name on the paper the official gave me.

“Ok... you are starting in the 6th spot. Anyone you want to mention when we announce you?”

“...Just say that I am racing to pay for Ricky's medical bill.”

Oh Lord. What am I doing...

Fin Chapter II

Last edited:
Drug-runners? Damned Chun Mei, he dragged down the reputation of this fine track! :lol:

DK
Drug-runners? Damned Chun Mei, he dragged down the reputation of this fine track! :lol:

I kinda meant in general - not just at TM, but in/on/around all the tracks. Chun Mei had that Dodge Neon I think, right?:crazy:

Been too long since I've read yours. :nervous:

I kinda meant in general - not just at TM, but in/on/around all the tracks. Chun Mei had that Dodge Neon I think, right?:crazy:

Been too long since I've read yours. :nervous:

The yellow SRT4 which Hiroto beat at Hong Kong in that tiny can (Mirage) :lol:

Chapters 15, 16, and 17 are done along with the main Character Profiles (those will come with Chapter 14.5.)

Chapter Three will be on tomorrow.

Delayed chapter, but up and running.

Chapter III:

I really don't know why I was doing this. Racing to pay for the medical bills, yes, but beyond that... Nothing. Just no reason for me to be racing at all. And for some reason... I wasn't satisfied with that. And frankly, I didn't like it. Reminded me of the past – a past I had sworn to forget.

But...

Half an hour later, I was sitting on the starting grid, waiting for the green light to be given to start the race. Damn, why am I so stupid?

IMG0032.jpg

IMG0033.jpg

I had a Esprit, Corvette, Jaguar, Audi RS6 and some weird Acura concept... I was thinking to myself as I sat there that Ricky would have been toast in this heat. That ancient piece of junk... against these sports cars? No way.

#3....2....1.... GO! And they're off!

IMG0034.jpg

I hit the gas, but not hard enough to spin the tires like the Corvette driver did. The S2000 had been reworked to give more acceleration while not sacrificing speed or cornering ability. The power increase helped as well– slight, but on a car as light as this one, it was like godmode in Call of Duty.

I entered the first turn on the outside of the Acura while the Corvette driver got his speed up to normal

IMG0035.jpg

Within the next two turns, I had moved into 4th with a quick move under the Acura and Corvette in one striking sweep.

IMG0036.jpg

#An excellent move by van Druten in the red Honda! He is racing for the prize only to help pay for his friend Ricky Robledo's medical bills from the injuries that Ricky suffered in his earlier practice crash.

IMG0037.jpg

The blue Esprit was next on my radar. He blocked me in the tunnel, however, and I had to wait until the first sharp right-hand turn by the rocks to pass him. I also shut the audio reciever off – I had no desire to listen to the announcer's ramblings. Damn idiot announcers... Too many distractions.

IMG0038.jpg

He used the next two turns to catch back up and pull alongside me when I missed my braking mark.

IMG0039.jpg

I was able to power in front when he braked early. I nailed the apex perfectly and caught up to the Audi. I did not count on him braking that early, and almost ran into the back of him.

IMG0040.jpg

IMG0041.jpg

I braked again and darted to the inside while he understeered out. As I hit the long straight with a head of steam, I saw the Jaguar a little bit off.

IMG0042.jpg

Under heavy braking after the tunnel and into the turn where Ricky had crashed earlier, I caught up to the Jaguar.

IMG0043.jpg

IMG0044.jpg

I glued the S2000 to the XKR's bumper. I decided to wait for the perfect opportunity to pass it.

#So... the little ricer wants to play, eh? Fine, I'll play.

IMG0045.jpg

#You moron, You aren't getting through this wall.

IMG0046.jpg

#Keep trying, and keep failing as well.

IMG0047.jpg

I've been used to taunts like these all the time, and frankly it's a waste of air to say anything at all.

IMG0048.jpg

#Nooooooobbbbbbbbbb...... IN YOUR FACE!

IMG0049.jpg

I looked to the inside entering the first turn, but he cut me off. I followed him up and into the tunnel. I feinted outside, then cut sharply to the inside for the pass.

IMG0050.jpg

#No! You little 🤬 idiot 🤬 ricer piece of 🤬!

IMG0051.jpg

It was smooth sailing from there on outward.

IMG0053.jpg

IMG0054.jpg

IMG0055.jpg

As I crossed the finish line after the end of two laps... I found that I, of all people, had actually enjoyed the race. I don't have many pleasures in life... but this felt good.

“So... How do you like them apples?”

#Gah... it is a dark day when a ricer boy can beat my fine British engineering.

I was laughing so hard.... Those Jaguars are too heavy and suck in general.

After I pulled into the pits, I was approached by an offical while I was still sitting in my S2000.

“You won your heat. You can continue and try for the $10,000 prize.”

I thought about it, and soon replied.

“No... The second-place car can go on. I won enough money today – sure, it'd be nice, but I have no need for it.”

Surprisingly, she didn't say anything more, but just let me go. I jumped in the S2000, and after refueling for free, I headed off to home.

But... I had totally forgot about Ricky.

“Ahh... Dammit. Probably too late to go back now...”

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“Well... looks like our young friend was beaten.”

“Idiot boy. That junk pile of his wouldn't have stood a chance against that car.”

“Do you think... the driver of the S2000 would be a good fit?”

“...I don't think so. He's pretty much a loner, from what I remember of him.”

“So... Eliminate him?”

“Not fully. Ruin his car if you can. Don't kill him – the boss wouldn't like that this early in the stages of the plan.”

“As you wish... I will take care of it now.”

Screeeeeech..............

“You damn fool. You'll get yourself killed, and I'll be laughing about it for all eternity.”

Fin Chapter III

Wow, what a way to end Chapter 3! 👍

Will be delayed until tomorrow because I cannot find my USB with my Word files on it :tsk:

Sorry.

Trial Mountain is the perfect track to look so unprofessional. :lol: I mean that as the track not looking up to modern standards, if you took that the wrong way. I'm enjoying the read. 👍 And I was happy to read that John likes Dream Theater. 👍

Back