paintballing

Paintball Gun Malfunction Kills Mother
Air Canister Hits Woman, Kills Her Instantly

POSTED: 4:29 pm PST February 17, 2004
UPDATED: 9:50 am PST February 18, 2004

PLACERVILLE, Calif. -- An El Dorado County mother throwing a birthday party for her son and a friend has been killed by a malfunctioning paintball gun, according to authorities.

Investigators said a 16-year-old began disassembling his paintball gun at the paintball complex north of Placerville as Monday's birthday party was wrapping up. In an instant, the brass safety fitting that secures the high-pressure air canister to the gun malfunctioned, shooting the air canister toward Colette Controis, according to investigators.

"When it was launched, it was like a torpedo. And it struck the woman in the back of the head as she stood about 8 feet away. She died instantly," said El Dorado County Sheriff's Department spokesman Lt. Kevin House.

Controis' death was witnessed by over 30 children and parents.

The owner of the Placerville paintball store affiliated with the paintball complex said he had never heard of such a malfunction ever happening before. And he said the malfunctioning canister did not come from his store.

El Dorado County Sheriff's investigators are calling the death a clear accident, and no criminal conduct is suspected from anyone involved.

This is about right.
Typical news media coverage and shows the ignorance of those that don't know paintball.
If you check out the video, you will see this person ( :rolleyes: ) used a copper hose, hooked up to his remote bottle setup.
YOU DO NOT USE COPPER TUBING FOR CONNECTIONS IN PAINTBALL. :rolleyes:
They should have used macroline or s.steel braided line. :banghead:
I can understand why the shop owner didn't want to be interviewed. Mainly because the bottle wasn't purchased there and the news media likes to take things out of proportion, sensationalize the event and the fact that they didn't do their research like the media should. :confused: :mad:
Oh well, another kick in the butt from the oh so loving News Media.
Misnblu

Thought I'd keep this thread alive too.
Paintball is #4 on the list of extreme sports now and should becoming more popular.
Here is a picture of my gun, fully upgraded with electronic trigger and all. Talk about keeping up with the best. 👍

Misnblu's '02 Vertical Feed Autococker
Shocktech Front Pneumatics
QEV's (quick exhaust valves)
Delrin/ Aluminum bolt
CP back block
CP mini rail
Warped Sportz on/ off valve
AKA Sidewinder inline vertical reg
CP 15 degree ASA
Planet Eclipse E-blade
Freak Two Piece barrel system w/
. 689, .691, .693, and .695 inserts
68 cu.inch 3000 HPA tank
12 volt Revvy w/ xboard
Smart Parts 0-300 Psi LPR gauge
Smart Parts Beaver Tail
Kapp Adjustable Velocity bar
Future and last mods are the Nexxus Internal kit with all delrin bolt and pin, hi-flow valve, spring and hammer.
071204gun2.jpg

071204gun4.jpg

You're looking at $1200 dollars in this gun and shoots like a dream. 15 ball per second fire rate is the norm for this gun and will be better once the internals are done. 👍
Misnblu

I have an Impulse and i have been playing for a really long time i play air ball speed bal whatever and i like it dont act like the bullets are real then you will play to catious play aggresive

I have been playing paintball for over a year now and in our county we are making a league in our middle school based on which town you are from in the county. its a lot of fun we play almost every weekend. Well just felt like sayin that.

That's awesome about school teams.
Hope you do well in it and that your school has a good team.
Good luck.
Misnblu

I would say buy a Tippmann 98 custom, and as you get better, you can add modifications. I still use my completely modified marker in speedball tournaments, and I've never had a breakdown

viperguy
if your a sniper, do one shot, one kill.

ANy real paintballer knows you cant get an elimination with one shot. I've played sniper/point guard on/off for several years, and never fire fewer than 6 BPS. Dont shoot your mouth, if you dont want your mouth to get shot.

Back