Paraplegic looking for a steering wheel.

• Thread starter SteamPhyst
  • 24 comments
United States
United States
I have been researching a steering wheel with proportionate brake and throttle control on the wheel, rather than pedals.

I have already received a reply from thrust master, telling me all these reason why they DON'T have one. I can't be the only racer without the use of their legs.

If anyone has any worthwhile contributions or leads, I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Edit. Remembered wrong. It was a Logitech. Driving Force wireless.
https://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-driving-force-wireless/review/

A racing buddy of mine back in the GT5 Prologue days was in a wheelchair for a while after an accident & was using one of these, he said it was a good wheel.

@SteamPhyst - Only trouble is it's an older wheel & not compatible with PS4 or XB1, so you'd have to use GIMX to get it working, or convince Collective Minds to update their Drive Hub to make it work. I am of course assuming you want to use it on current gen consoles?

Last edited:
I appreciate the comments. I am looking for something that Will work with PS4. Or if anyone knows a techie inventor who would like to work together on creating a working prototype to bring to Thrustmaster, that would be wonderful

I have been researching a steering wheel with proportionate brake and throttle control on the wheel, rather than pedals.

I have already received a reply from thrust master, telling me all these reason why they DON'T have one. I can't be the only racer without the use of their legs.

If anyone has any worthwhile contributions or leads, I would love to hear from you. Thank you.
I thought I'd try the subtle approach for you:

Could you possibly adapt something like this?

Can you describe how you'd like to use this? Where would the throttle and brake be located? Triggers on the wheel? Thumb controls? Maybe something more like real life with levers?

Try these guys, they cater for all sorts of disabilities. Good luck. http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-bespoke.htm

Can you describe how you'd like to use this? Where would the throttle and brake be located? Triggers on the wheel? Thumb controls? Maybe something more like real life with levers?
Finger triggers like the the R2, L2 mounted on the wheel would be my initial thought

I thought I'd try the subtle approach for you:

You Rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the comments. I am looking for something that Will work with PS4. Or if anyone knows a techie inventor who would like to work together on creating a working prototype to bring to Thrustmaster, that would be wonderful
It would be a neat thing to have triggers for gas/brake on the wheel rim itself.

I'm sure Maxwell could craft something to work, but getting it to work on a Thrustmaster base and with a PS4 would be the trick.

Almost every wheel out there has an input for the pedals to plug into. Whatever someone comes up with can just be plugged directly into that. Generally there's nothing special about interfacing with them. The tough part is creating the hardware and attaching it to the wheel (with regard to triggers for instance)

Another option, though not as cool I suppose:

If you can drive with one hand and run the gas/brake with the other, it would not be hard to have something separate from the wheel, with two triggers. (or something) Maybe one for index and one for middle, or one for index and something on the thumb for brake.

Something as simple as this could be made to work easily:

F9H9JGOIRVCCJRT.SMALL.jpg

Personally, if it were me, I'd rather have one control for gas and one for brake. I made something long ago that used two sticks like the photo and although difficult to use at first, I'm sure a person could master it with some practice. Not too much different than driving with a controller I suppose.

It would be a neat thing to have triggers for gas/brake on the wheel rim itself.

I'm sure Maxwell could craft something to work, but getting it to work on a Thrustmaster base and with a PS4 would be the trick.
I heard back, he only does PC. The search continues

SteamPhyst,

Do you have a preference on the wheel you'd like to use?

Last edited:
I don't know your level of paralysis, but I'm Quadriplegic myself (with varying degrees ).
I had an old trust wheel that I would just use paddle shifters (with ps4 button mapping I thing it is easily possible) as pedals (had to get used to rapid tapping etc)

Then when it died I got g25 (for ps3 support because they blocked non official wheels by that time and dfgt was not available in my country).

For the heck of it I tried using the pedals (before putting them in the closet) and noticed that I can press them a little because they were steeper and better as a whole. From that time on I did my practice for my league racing only on the pedals and after some time I noticed that I can fully press them with my right leg and with practice I increased my endurance from one hot lap to full race.

I'm not sure that it is possible for you but sometimes it is better to try to adapt to the tools you have rather then adapting tools to your capabilities.

It helped physically (latter on I even learned left foot braking and previous to that I could not move my left foot practically at all)

I jumped back to simracing (after getting my degrees etc) when I noticed that my legs are getting weaker again.

Now my left wrist is giving me more problems then my legs.

I even tried driving a real car (automatic tho) and for me it is much easier then simracing barefoot. I was even shocked.

Maybe try inverted pedals.

I was just gonna post for you but they already beat me to it! Good going on helping a community member! This seems like the perfect solution!

Edit: @SteamPhyst and other people who have lost the use of their legs, I just found a nifty gadget that can replace the footpedals where you can operate them with triggers attached to your hand operated by using your thumb.

Last edited:

The drive pro gs750 will let you program the shift button's behind the steering wheel as throttle and if you want to still use a standard transmission use the buttons on the steering wheel next to your thumb hope this helps

The Fanatec McLaren has a rocker-type handle and the regular shifting pedals. Might work too.

Back