Parkland FL HS shooting, shooter arrested, 17 dead

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 675 comments
It never ceases to amaze me at the joy you guys get at mocking a forthright and regular contributor to this forum. In mocking him you are actually mocking yourselves. That @Dotini continues to contribute in spite of repeated attempts to embarass him is a credit to his character.

Of course, we all appreciate Dotini's contribution, but he's gone a little off the rails with Post Modernism, which he seems to invoke to explain ANYTHING that's currently happening in the world. Dotini is like the elderly grandpa of GTPlanet: you love him ... but sometimes he just up & sez the darndest things!

The story isn't an example of why gun control is bad. It is an example of why banning guns outright for citizens is bad.

Gun control, like background checks, training, etc. are all reasonable things and don't infringe on the rights of the person. They can still legally buy a gun and keep it in their possession. It just makes it more difficult for those who shouldn't have guns to get one in the first place. Going hand-in-hand with gun control, the ATF in the US needs to step up controlling the import of illegal guns into the country. Cut off the black market, or at the very least make it prohibitively expensive, and many criminals are outta luck.

Anything that creates an artificial barrier ownership is a form of infringement hence why background checks go against the 2nd Amendment. To further add background checks are pointless when you can just buy a stolen gun on the street no question asked.

So was Hitler, that doesn't make him not evil though (Another score for Godwin!).

So Hitler was evil but the lesser of the bunch? Who are you comparing to? I can't see any actor in ww2 be worse then Hitler

Of course, we all appreciate Dotini's contribution, but he's gone a little off the rails with Post Modernism, which he seems to invoke to explain ANYTHING that's currently happening in the world. Dotini is like the elderly grandpa of GTPlanet: you love him ... but sometimes he just up & sez the darndest things!

I'm not saying it explains everything. But the truth is that certain mechanics of the human thoughtprocess that are described by post modernism are currently beeing abused for political gain. Both left and right. Sadly for me the right is better at this tribalism thing they try to invoke using these mechanincs (at least over here in the flemish region of belgium).

The main mechanic I'm referring to is the use of personal realities and the way it's abused these days to accept that those realities are actually realities. Those people just thrown the word perception under the bus and accept any reality is reality instead of calling it a perception of reality.

When using this it becomes easier to call things fake news for the right wing parties or accepting things like microagressions are unaccaptble for the regressive left.

Our entire political landscape has sadly been molded by the post modernist filosophy and it's excesses.

So while I see your point of him bringing the term up quite often it actually is a filosophy that found traction a lot in current affairs.

So Hitler was evil but the lesser of the bunch? Who are you comparing to? I can't see any actor in ww2 be worse then Hitler

Without going too far off topic, Joseph Goebbels was considered too extreme even by Hitler's standards and most of the horrific things done by the Nazi's came from the mined of Goebbels. As posted above it could also be argued that Stalin was also worse.

Anyways, as I said, he is still extremely evil, just like Che is no matter how much worse someone else was.

Without going too far off topic, Joseph Goebbels was considered too extreme even by Hitler's standards and most of the horrific things done by the Nazi's came from the mined of Goebbels. As posted above it could also be argued that Stalin was also worse.

Anyways, as I said, he is still extremely evil, just like Che is no matter how much worse someone else was.

Didn't notice you meant within the nazi party. :P

I have to limited knowledge to say goebbels was worse but from what I know yeah he was just as bad. If I remember correctlythere are doubts that goebbels had pushed the holocaust or is this for sure by now.

On stalin, stalin was an evil **** I'll grant you that but I find Hitler to be more evil. I'm happy to explain why but send me a message or create a different thread so we don't fully derail this one ;)

Anything that creates an artificial barrier ownership is a form of infringement hence why background checks go against the 2nd Amendment
Nope. You can still own a firearm, evem with thorough background checks. The right would only be infringed if there was a complete ban on firearms in every single state in the U.S.

Stalin, Mao and Hitler is a toss up.

I agree but there are ways to judge and rank them. The issue here is on the basis of what do you judge them. Downright cruelty, doing the unimmaginable, pure headcount,...? And even within these categories there would be subjevtivity.

Imo Hitler (while despising mao and stalin). What pulls me over the line is not headcount but intention and performance. In modern times I can't think of a single person who put up actual killing factories. I know there were workcamps in which countless people have died for stalin or mao but the truth is Hitler set up quite a few camps with the sole purpose of killing people. This act imonis sooooo over the top I call him the worst. But as stated I needed to see the photofinish to make up my mind here :P

I agree but there are ways to judge and rank them. The issue here is on the basis of what do you judge them. Downright cruelty, doing the unimmaginable, pure headcount,...? And even within these categories there would be subjevtivity.

Imo Hitler (while despising mao and stalin). What pulls me over the line is not headcount but intention and performance. In modern times I can't think of a single person who put up actual killing factories. I know there were workcamps in which countless people have died for stalin or mao but the truth is Hitler set up quite a few camps with the sole purpose of killing people. This act imonis sooooo over the top I call him the worst. But as stated I needed to see the photofinish to make up my mind here :P
One man's starvation of 10's of millions is another man's death camp. The depths of their depravity are unfathomable by normal human beings.

Stalin, Mao and Hitler is a toss up.
So Hitler isn't "the lesser of two evils" then. Unless Goebbels was somehow to take over as leader.

I'm not sure Che was quite on their level, for all the people he murdered.

Last edited:
Back